CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TRBTB
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
kick_ball
Blitzkrieg
TastyLicks
AR1
Wisercock
usc1
kingofnerf
I wish we all could (2172)
The Bama mentality: (1115)
10 things I'm absolu (938)
BURN THE BOATS: Noth (858)
Interesting David Wi (656)
Honest assessment of (570)
Three Key Takeaways (492)
Houston/New England (490)
power went off durin (342)
Why don't we run any (319)
2018 Commitment - Marlon
Jake Bentley analysis
2018 - KJ Henry
Carmelo to OKC
Houston/New England
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2017/18 MBB Schedule
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
2017 Roster
Our chances against aTm

Old 02-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb
Default Freedom from Cable TV

I have been trying to piece together information on the best and most economical new setup for TV viewing. Let's say I dump satellite and/or cable where I basically had the highest tier of service.

I watch shows on HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX, etc. as well as some stuff on the major networks. I don't really care whether I can see the actual show when it airs as I typically DVR things and just watch them whenever I get around to it. A major factor is that I want to make sure I don't lose the ability to watch most sports (most ESPNs, Fox Sports, SECN, etc.). I also like using the Watch ESPN app so I don't miss games and can catch ESPN3 programs.

What setup should I get to do this the best and most efficiently? I am getting a new smart TV and the only thing I have to hook up to it will be my PS4 and a way to drive surround sound speakers. I currently have Amazon Prime and Netflix but can add to those or drop as needed.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
ut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Freedom from Cable TV

Since you have a PS4, I would look into the Playstation Vue and antenna for your local channels.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
Since you have a PS4, I would look into the Playstation Vue and antenna for your local channels.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/
I saw info about that. It looks promising to get the channels I want.

Couple of quesitons if you know:

Then maybe add a firestick or use Amazon Prime and Netflix as well to see movies, etc?

Anyway to do the same thing without using the actual PS4 all the time?

What do you do with multiple TV's in the house? Any way to watch on additional tvs?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

ut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
I saw info about that. It looks promising to get the channels I want.

Couple of quesitons if you know:

Then maybe add a firestick or use Amazon Prime and Netflix as well to see movies, etc?

Anyway to do the same thing without using the actual PS4 all the time?

What do you do with multiple TV's in the house? Any way to watch on additional tvs?
This may help on some of your questions. I am looking a switching myself but have not investigated too far.

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/45944013

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/45898755

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/
Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

I use DirectTvNOW- $35 a month. has all the major sports programs and on demand.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
gamecocks24
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
gamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudly

I've done free trials with Sling and Vue even though my contract with DTV doesn't end until next spring (but my promotion ends in April, ugh) and I was pretty pleased with both. Hulu's tv service will be starting soon and I've already heard good things about it. The main thing that's holding me back, other than the contract, is not being able to get all of my local channels through a streaming service. At the moment, I can get two of them through Vue.

I know I can go the antenna route, but I live in a flight path and planes will wreak havoc on my signal. My advice is to do a free trial of each streaming service and see how they perform. For my sake, I hope DTV will work with me when my promotion ends. If they don't work with me and keep raising their rates every year, I'll probably dump them next year. Hopefully by then, I 'll be able to get all of my local channels through at least one of the streaming services.
gamecocks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
gamecocks24
4-Star

Male

gamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudlygamecocks24 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I use DirectTvNOW- $35 a month. has all the major sports programs and on demand.
How has it been performing? I know they had a lot of issues when it first started. I'll probably check it out as well when they make it available on Roku.
gamecocks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

With what you want PS Vue Ultra slim for 65 bucks a month. Good news is your PS3/4 can double as a DVR, once you give up your cable/satellite, if you didn't buy the DVR, that will go back with them. Sports packaging, and HBO/Showtime are the reason why for the cost. If you could wait on the Premium channels shows to go to Hulu, or buy the Season on DVD, you can get it for 35 bucks a month.

Still though that is a sweet deal to also have HBO/Showtime with it.

You didn't specify Starz, but that is with DTVNow only, on the 70 dollar package. It seems they get you with your desires. You want the sports channels, and to get the SEC network, you have to get the 35 dollar Vue package, and the 50 dollar DTVNow package. The premium channels HBO/Showtime on the Vue is 15 bucks each, so 30+35=65, so you mine as well go with the Ultra Slim package and get more channels. Then on DTVNow you have to get the 50 dollar package for the SEC network, and HBO/Starz/Cinemax is 5/8/5, so 18 bucks 68 vs 70. Mine as well get the extra channels.

Last edited by rioninusc; 02-22-2017 at 01:55 PM..
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
Tony
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 98000
Tony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPitTony rules the CockPit

Have you tried the "Kodi" box? Free movies, sports, tv shows, almost anything.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Personally, I would go with a Roku for streaming Amazonprime, netflix, slingtv, HBOgo, WatchESPN, etc. A good indoor antenna for local channels and an AVR to control all of them and operate your surround sound. You would run the PS4, Roku, Antenna and speakers to the AVR, then one HMDI up to your TV. Make sure the AVR supports 4k and is matched to your speakers ratings and tie it all together with a Harmony remote.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I did PSvue (the $35 plan) with an antenna for football season. It was good. I think you can get HBO as a separate channel with vue (I know you can through amazon, maybe the prime app).

One annoyance was for NFL games on fox I would have to use the fox sports app and stream it to my apple tv. For CBS, I had to use antenna. Vue had nfl network, espns and SEC network in the package (since we've sucked lately most of the games are on SEC network or ESPN de ocho or something).

You can use the psvue username and password for watch espn and like the fox sports app, just like with a cable subscription. Had to watch the ABC games via the watch espn app as they didn't have a streaming app as far as I could tell.

You can watch more than one tv at a time on psvue. I used my old ps3 for the other tv upstairs. You can also watch SOME of the channels on your mobile when you aren't at home but I found that to be very limited.

I will probably sign back up if the cocks make the tourney or for next football season.

Last edited by LegalCock; 02-22-2017 at 04:25 PM..
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocks24 View Post
How has it been performing? I know they had a lot of issues when it first started. I'll probably check it out as well when they make it available on Roku.

Few issues here and there but nothing major. They were running a free Apple TV when you prepay for three months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

Thanks for everyone's responses. I have also been looking around today for more info and talking with a buddy here at work who already cut the cord so to speak. Here is what I think would get me everything I am looking for:

1. Get a smart TV (as I already planned to do).

2. Get PS Vue with the sports channels and HBO and Showtime ($65/mo).

3. Get a Roku or Firestick.

4. Get an HD antenna.

My thought process... I want the ability to see ESPN3, SECN, NFL Network, etc. for sports. I sometimes like to watch those channels on a mobile device when I am not at home as well. PS Vue will give me that ability along with HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX, etc.

An HD attenna will give me local channels for other sports and shows.

A roku or firestick will allow me to access the apps I subscribe to (PS Vue, Netflix, Amazon) on additional TV's in the house. Although I won't be able to see local without additional antennae.

The new tv already has all the apps on it so I don't even need my actual PS4 to run any of them.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

I would also look at the Fire TV. I prefer an Ethernet connection over wireless.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

If you already DVR a lot of stuff, and hence don't care about watching some things when they are first aired (but a day or two later), then the premium cable (HBO/Showtime) programs can always be viewed on the internet a day later (or even a few hours later) on online sites like Putlocker, for free. I watched all of Game of Thrones last season doing it like that....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #16
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 640
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Have you tried the "Kodi" box? Free movies, sports, tv shows, almost anything.
Yes.love it
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #17
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Don't know what sort of internet plan you have, but keep in mind that some ISPs have data caps after certain limits. I have ATT U-verse and have unlimited internet because I bundle my cable and internet. There would be a cap where they'd throttle my speeds after a certain point if I didn't have cable through them. If you're going to switch to streaming everything, data caps could be a problem if you download a lot stuff. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #18
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
I would also look at the Fire TV. I prefer an Ethernet connection over wireless.
The Fire TV is also now powered by Alexa. Counting that I am now up to 5 Echoes.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #19
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Don't know what sort of internet plan you have, but keep in mind that some ISPs have data caps after certain limits. I have ATT U-verse and have unlimited internet because I bundle my cable and internet. There would be a cap where they'd throttle my speeds after a certain point if I didn't have cable through them. If you're going to switch to streaming everything, data caps could be a problem if you download a lot stuff. Just something to keep in mind.

Internet only through Uverse has a cap of 1tb before they start charging extra.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

My problem with these streaming services (Vue, Sling, DirectNOW, etc) is they are around $30-50 alone. Add a solid internet connection ($50) and taxes...and I'm back around the $120 I pay now to my cable company.

I just hate cable companies.

We really only watch sports and then stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu when we want. We hardly watch anything live and if we did, we could solve that with an antenna.

Are there any packages that do MAINLY sports (ESPN networks, FOXSports, NFL, etc) with a few silly extras like USA, CNN, Lifetime, etc? I'm talking $20 or less...anything?

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote