CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
smoovecock
sporkgod50
Blitzkrieg
Ace Dilcock
TastyLicks
carolina_corpsman
Lonnie
Spur's Addiction
2k15
Clemson opponents av (1681)
Cocks vs Taters Bett (1219)
My favorite Justin K (994)
Will USC Score >2 (985)
Dear Muschamp: Not (576)
CFN Team ranking 1-1 (400)
#600 (211)
Goergia Dome Collaps (167)
Tater Game Ticket Pr (37)
2 Tater Game tickets (25)
2018 - Channing Tindall
Gamecocks Ranked 28th in
#114 in Total Offense
CFN Team ranking 1-130
Clemson
Raise For Champ
Jerry Meyers out as USC p
Gamecock Authentic Leathe
Clemson opponents avg rec
Bowl Talk....

Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #41
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Freedom from Cable TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGrad2003 View Post
I cut cable about 6 months and haven't looked back.

We were paying about 250 per month up here in N Va for the bundle (tv, internet and phone).

We were also paying for netflix and amazon prime.

I bought an over the air antenna to pick up all the network channels. Subscribed to Sling TV to get SEC Network and kept amazon and netflix. I tripled my internet speed, cut cable and cut the phone. I am paying a fraction of the price.

We use the Roku even though we have smart tvs and gaming consoles... been real happy with it.

There are so many options out there.
This is probably the best way to do it. Most apps will run much better over a dedicated player vs a smart tv. If we didn't get cable as part of our hoa dues (If it was up to me I wouldn't) this same set up is what I would do.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #42
WayzUp
Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 592600
WayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot material

Was paying close to $250 for bundle, cut it down to just internet & upgraded that to highest speed available, opted for PlayStation Vue for $45/month and could probably lower that to the $35/month package as it has most channels I watch. DVR and on-demand for the ABC/CBS/NBC shows (I don't watch but fam does) are built in to Vue.

In total, we went from $245/month to barely over $100 and more than half of that (internet) is paid for by the wife's company. I am actually happier with it than I was with the bundle because the internet is soooo much faster & reliable.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #43
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Looks like there will be changes ahead for all of us. Net neutrality will be going away. As a result we will have to pay extra fees to our ISP for using services like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Some ISPs may choose to bill the premium service in order for them to carry it instead. That cost would end up being passed on to us though. Anything that we do not buy directly from our ISP will be fair game. Should be interesting watching how all of this plays out.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #44
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

https://news.fastcompany.com/its-off...iness--4031528

Something to think about if it include all of the sports channels.

• 40 networks in all: the major broadcast networks, plus channels such as ESPN, Fox Sports, USA FX, E!, Bravo, Disney, MSNBC, Sprout, local channels, and (for an additional fee) Showtime—but not those owned by cable behemoths Time Warner and Viacom

• YouTube's own original content, such as the shows and films that are part of its YouTube Red service

• Unlimited ability to record shows for later watching via a cloud-based DVR

• Google-like search for specific shows or themes such as "time travel"

• A cost of $35 a month for six accounts
Old 03-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #45
gamecocks24
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
gamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPitgamecocks24 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
https://news.fastcompany.com/its-off...iness--4031528

Something to think about if it include all of the sports channels.

• 40 networks in all: the major broadcast networks, plus channels such as ESPN, Fox Sports, USA FX, E!, Bravo, Disney, MSNBC, Sprout, local channels, and (for an additional fee) Showtime—but not those owned by cable behemoths Time Warner and Viacom

• YouTube's own original content, such as the shows and films that are part of its YouTube Red service

• Unlimited ability to record shows for later watching via a cloud-based DVR

• Google-like search for specific shows or themes such as "time travel"

• A cost of $35 a month for six accounts
Only "problem" is that there are no Turner stations included, so no TBS and TNT among others. AMC and A&E are also absent. Might not be a big deal for everybody, but I would want them. I'm very curious to see what Hulu will have to offer.

Last edited by gamecocks24; 03-01-2017 at 01:55 PM..
gamecocks24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #46
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Amazon getting into the act: https://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=U...ode=2858778011

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 03-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #47
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I'm down to Netflix 4KUHD and HD antenna. Total for Internet + Netflix is $61.24.

I cannot stand commercials and always find cool and unusual shows on Netflix, some are in 4KHD, which looks awesome! I still do the occasional RedBox Blu Ray.

And there's also a lot of cool stuff on YouTube.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #48
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
You can try Kodi. I have heard mixed reviews. A few links I will post is from the UK but will probably be here in the US soon.

https://kodi.tv/

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk...ail/story.html

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15106...g_about_Kodi_/

http://www.androidcentral.com/kodi-o...-android-users
I use my Kodi Box(android box) for sports, movies and tv shows. Just about anything, really. It does require some programming now and then. You can go to you tube for instructions, or the site below is very helpful. Even tells you how to download Kodi onto your firestick. We also like to use firestick.

I haven't paid for cable for two years. I had to go to war with them whenever I wanted to cancel and/ or change suppliers. It was a joke. Never again.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/

Last edited by Y Formation; 03-04-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #49
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Mechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot material

I've gone with:
Direct TV Now, with a 3 month up from to get a 4th gen AppleTV (replaced the one i had): $50/month in order to get ESPNU and SEC + $5/month for HBO
AT&T Internet: $40/month (and i believe there are no taxes on internet service?)
Netflix: $11/month

The Direct TV Now gives a $25/month credit to the new unlimited phone plans from AT&T.

May not be the cheapest, but it's mostly on one bill, and is cheaper than comcast, and it gets me down to just an AppleTV feeding the TV. I've been on a big smaller but better kick lately with my TV/stereo.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #50
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I can't blame anyone for leaving. We have Fios and the new VOD menus are flat out bad, and worse...the interactive menus are just terrible, not user friendly, take longer than before and push you to the "pay shows" first. Hell I was trying to search for Lego Star Wars for the kids and it kept telling me I had to pay $1.99 per episode, but that was only after about 10 menu clicks to find it...what a joke! Screw you Fios.
TKE226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #51
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 10480
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

DirectTVNow gave me HBO free for a year, and I still get the Big Package for $35 a month. Glad I signed on early!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #52
CockinAthens
Behind enemy lines

Male

CockyCash: 87300
CockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot material

http://corporate.pluto.tv/

just came across this the other day
Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #53
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockinAthens View Post
http://corporate.pluto.tv/

just came across this the other day
Been a ton of bad reviews of it lately. Primarily people are bitching about the many super loud ads.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #54
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2997000000
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

See if spectrum has moved into your area.,
40 a month for a bundle of tv phone and internet is pretty good.
they will probably raise prices once a year but the starting price is low enough that it will be a few years until its back to astronomic levels.
Dabo helped his Uncle jack off his horse...

Only clemson fans would know Dabo doesn't have an Uncle Jack so everbody else might not understand..
CockySpaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #55
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockySpaniel View Post
See if spectrum has moved into your area.,
40 a month for a bundle of tv phone and internet is pretty good.
they will probably raise prices once a year but the starting price is low enough that it will be a few years until its back to astronomic levels.
Down here that is $40 each and you have to take all three. Their customers here seem to despise them.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #56
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 23670
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Streamendous.com for all pro sports with a chromecast device or tv. Also every major channel has internet watch live tv streams you can cast to your television
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote