CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockinraleigh
gotrice?
CockNJersey
RGHoskins
gsgp
Captain9Dragons
USCharleston2
JerseyBird
Blitzkrieg
GamecockUltimate
What do you need to (1211)
Qb's under pressure (865)
Garnet helmets and j (827)
Jake Bentley analysi (525)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (470)
Arkansas Kick Time (376)
Week 4 College Footb (253)
***Ace Of Spades - M (165)
***Wildfire - Equest (158)
Fall Softball 2017 (153)
Crowd Against La Tech
Qb's under pressure SEC
Garnet helmets and jersey
Name a Gamecock
2017 High School Football
2018 Commitment - RJ Rode
***Volvo Driving Soccer M
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
Jake Bentley analysis

Old 03-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb
Default Watch ESPN/TV/PS4 issue

So my quest for alternatives to cable continue. I am getting used to things but ran into an issue trying to watch ESPN 3 this weekend on my tv. I can watch it on my iphone or ipad with no issue but not on the tv. I checked the web and it shows that a PS4 supports the Watch ESPN app so I could watch it that way. After searching and searching, I cannot find the app in the PS store. I googled the app and I see it online but can't find it through my ps4 to download it. Any thoughts?

On a side note, I tried to use an app to view my ipad on the tv but couldn't get that to work either. I was able to link my ipad to the tv and could view pics, videos, etc. but could not get the tv to display what I Was watching on my tablet. Any thoughts there?

Extra info:
TV is a Samsung smart tv,
I still have U verse as cable
I have a ps4 as well
Phone and tablet are apple
I do not have apple tv
Old 03-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Watch ESPN/TV/PS4 issue

Seems like the smart tv would have the watch espn app or you could download it through the tv. I had to use my apple tv or amazon fire stick to use watch espn but used the psvue log info in to get access.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
So my quest for alternatives to cable continue. I am getting used to things but ran into an issue trying to watch ESPN 3 this weekend on my tv. I can watch it on my iphone or ipad with no issue but not on the tv. I checked the web and it shows that a PS4 supports the Watch ESPN app so I could watch it that way. After searching and searching, I cannot find the app in the PS store. I googled the app and I see it online but can't find it through my ps4 to download it. Any thoughts?

On a side note, I tried to use an app to view my ipad on the tv but couldn't get that to work either. I was able to link my ipad to the tv and could view pics, videos, etc. but could not get the tv to display what I Was watching on my tablet. Any thoughts there?

Extra info:
TV is a Samsung smart tv,
I still have U verse as cable
I have a ps4 as well
Phone and tablet are apple
I do not have apple tv
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...TCHESPNPS40000 just "buy" it for free on the site and the app should show up in your library of apps that are ready to install. Can't remember the exact UI directions since I don't use my ps4 that much, but it'll be there. If they handle website purchases like an Xbox, it may even install on its own if your PS4 is in the always on rest mode.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_usc_freak92 View Post
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...TCHESPNPS40000 just "buy" it for free on the site and the app should show up in your library of apps that are ready to install. Can't remember the exact UI directions since I don't use my ps4 that much, but it'll be there. If they handle website purchases like an Xbox, it may even install on its own if your PS4 is in the always on rest mode.
Thank you. This helps a lot.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57380000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

I've found that watchespn app isn't supported by all devices. Much like yourself I can use it on my phone and on my firestick and Rokus. I've downloaded it on the PlayStation but the problem is that Time Warner doesn't support the app through the PS, I've found this with others as well, roku has a Disney channel app but Time Warner doesn't support it. So you can't use your Twc login to use it.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

nin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
Thank you. This helps a lot.
Anytime
Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
I've found that watchespn app isn't supported by all devices. Much like yourself I can use it on my phone and on my firestick and Rokus. I've downloaded it on the PlayStation but the problem is that Time Warner doesn't support the app through the PS, I've found this with others as well, roku has a Disney channel app but Time Warner doesn't support it. So you can't use your Twc login to use it.
Leave it to Time Warner to not support the external apps. I'm willing to bet this is because they have their own TWC app that streams any channel you subscribe to, and there are some legal "support streaming on one or the other" scenarios involved.

As an avid entertainment consumer, I advise anyone not to touch Time Warner or Comcast with a 10 foot pole.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

Quote:
It appears it should be that simple. The problem is, the app is nowhere to be found in the PS store on my ps4. I can go to the playstation store on the internet and "buy" it but it doesn't download to the ps4. I can't understand how the app appears online but does not show up through the PS store on the actual ps4 itself.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

Quote:
It appears it should be that simple. The problem is, the app is nowhere to be found in the PS store on my ps4. I can go to the playstation store on the internet and "buy" it but it doesn't download to the ps4. I can't understand how the app appears online but does not show up through the PS store on the actual ps4 itself.
I don't either. Have you gone into your library on the PS4 and seen what apps are available to install (in the same section as any other game/app you've bought)?

Maybe check the region associated with your PS4 account or some weird settings like that? It SHOULD show up, but I'm at work and can't test it myself for sure.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I don't either. Have you gone into your library on the PS4 and seen what apps are available to install (in the same section as any other game/app you've bought)?

Maybe check the region associated with your PS4 account or some weird settings like that? It SHOULD show up, but I'm at work and can't test it myself for sure.
Agreed. I will check it when I get home tonight and see.

When I started trying to work this out, I first tried to get my ipad to mirror on the tv. Then I tried to find the watch espn app on my tv. Apparently there isn't one for my tv. While googling ideas, I saw the ps4 had watch espn app so that's what led me down this path. First, I went into the ps4 and to the app store in search of the app. I searched every possible combo of the letters "watch" and "espn" but the results only showed some stupid tv show or movie. That's when I searched on the web and found it through he ps store website but it just won't put the two together. Maybe my internet log in and actual ps4 aren't connected properly, I'll redo all of that as well. I think I tried that yesterday but not 100% sure. I tried so many ways, I lost track of them all.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

Quote:
Agreed. I will check it when I get home tonight and see.

When I started trying to work this out, I first tried to get my ipad to mirror on the tv. Then I tried to find the watch espn app on my tv. Apparently there isn't one for my tv. While googling ideas, I saw the ps4 had watch espn app so that's what led me down this path. First, I went into the ps4 and to the app store in search of the app. I searched every possible combo of the letters "watch" and "espn" but the results only showed some stupid tv show or movie. That's when I searched on the web and found it through he ps store website but it just won't put the two together. Maybe my internet log in and actual ps4 aren't connected properly, I'll redo all of that as well. I think I tried that yesterday but not 100% sure. I tried so many ways, I lost track of them all.
If all else fails, I strongly recommend getting a 3rd gen apple tv off of eBay for like $50-60. You'll be able to mirror any iOS device on it, and the WatchESPN app on there has the best layout of any I've tried in addition to the most stable connection.

A cheaper option would be Chromecast, but since you have apple products already I think you'll be pleased with the effortless functionality between them and the apple tv. Just a heads up that I think some apps might not support the mirror functionality (like Netflix, etc) since they're already supported on the AppleTV itself.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
If all else fails, I strongly recommend getting a 3rd gen apple tv off of eBay for like $50-60. You'll be able to mirror any iOS device on it, and the WatchESPN app on there has the best layout of any I've tried in addition to the most stable connection.

A cheaper option would be Chromecast, but since you have apple products already I think you'll be pleased with the effortless functionality between them and the apple tv. Just a heads up that I think some apps might not support the mirror functionality (like Netflix, etc) since they're already supported on the AppleTV itself.
Thanks for the info. I probably should invest in apple tv even if I get it worked out. In the end, I will likely not use my ps4 for tv anyway. I will have apps on the tv or other device and use Netflix, etc. I was just going to use it short term until I decide everything I want and/or need.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57380000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Leave it to Time Warner to not support the external apps. I'm willing to bet this is because they have their own TWC app that streams any channel you subscribe to, and there are some legal "support streaming on one or the other" scenarios involved.

As an avid entertainment consumer, I advise anyone not to touch Time Warner or Comcast with a 10 foot pole.
Yes and their app is limited if you aren't on your home wifi as well. You only get about 20 channels.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

I finally got it figured out... well, I was finally able to find app. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it won't come up in a search of the PS store. I searched over and over and even just looked through all the apps, one by one. I gave up for a few days and tried again yesterday. Then, there it was, the app was in the store but not searchable. I downloaded it and it works great.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
usc_yogi
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPit

Quote:
I finally got it figured out... well, I was finally able to find app. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it won't come up in a search of the PS store. I searched over and over and even just looked through all the apps, one by one. I gave up for a few days and tried again yesterday. Then, there it was, the app was in the store but not searchable. I downloaded it and it works great.
Nice. I will have to add that one. Where did you find it under?
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
Nice. I will have to add that one. Where did you find it under?
I went into the PS store then went to "apps." I starting looking through the sports apps I think it was and found it there. I cannot recall exactly. I will again and can probably remember once I see it.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #17
usc_yogi
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPit

Quote:
I went into the PS store then went to "apps." I starting looking through the sports apps I think it was and found it there. I cannot recall exactly. I will again and can probably remember once I see it.
I found it. Thanks for the heads up. I was always moving my Roku from the bedroom to the living room if I needed to watch something that was only on the WatchESPN App.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

I have used most of the streaming devices and find that the Roku interface with Watch ESPN is awesome. On the other hand my XBONE ESPN app sucks.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote