CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Ace Dilcock
LBC
Master Bedroom
Captain9Dragons
Three and Out
JerseyBird
Flameout12
The Yancey
CockNJersey
The Godfather explai (360)
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (305)
NCAAF: LOUISIANA TEC (223)
What do you need to (180)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (131)
NCAAF: FLORIDA @ KEN (130)
NCAAF: NORTH CAROLIN (127)
NCAAF: ALABAMA @ VAN (103)
NCAAF: ARKANSAS @ TE (96)
NCAAF: TEXAS CHRISTI (76)
What do you need to see a
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
Ortre Smith
Crowd Against La Tech
2017/18 season speculatio
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
Qb's under pressure SEC
Does Deebo Return Next Se
Week 4 College Football F

Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #41
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 0
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material
Default Re: Worst Concert

Boston at the Carolina Coliseum in 1978 or 1979. They hardly acknowledged the audience or did anything different with their music. Could have saved the $$ by staying home and turning my stereo up as loud as possible. No showmanship whatsoever
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #42
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 42320
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Skynyrd ...55 min set..gone
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #43
bcolinc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot material

Motörhead/Slayer - Nampa, ID 2012
bcolinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #44
scsalesreptile
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
scsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his combscsalesreptile is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to scsalesreptile

I've been to hundreds of clubs, concerts, & festivals since the late 60's. It's a hobby. One horrible performance stands out among occasional bad ones. There was a bar on Rosewood Dr in the 70's - The Left Guard, which booked some really good bands (Mother's Finest, etc). Somehow they booked the New York Dolls, who had a brief fling with fame. When they took the stage, it was just random noise - they really didn't know how to play their instruments....they were about "performance art". They emptied the place in no time. Worst thing I've ever heard.
scsalesreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #45
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterron1984 View Post
had the displeasure of attending a jefferson airplane concert in houston 1969 ,at the sam houston coliseum...they acted lost on stage..thankful tickets were only $6..yes im a dinosaur..3 yrs later back to the coliseum for another concert..scheduled to start at 1 pm..didn't start til 4pm..sound equipment slow in arriving..bands were the byrds..poco..the dead and sadly headlining the show was the airplane..how i don't know..poco put on a blistering act..the dead were really good..byds so so..airplane crashed again..cops pulled the plug while gracie was singing..she wanted to go past the time allotted to the concert..she was mad..crowd was glad
Dude. You saw the Dead in '72.

What. The. Fck.

You are one massively lucky bastard.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 AM   #46
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Zeppelin in '77. "No Quarter" was only 45 minutes long (sucked) and during "Achilles Last Stand" I couldn't see Bonham cause some girl stood in my way.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #47
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
Boston at the Carolina Coliseum in 1978 or 1979. They hardly acknowledged the audience or did anything different with their music. Could have saved the $$ by staying home and turning my stereo up as loud as possible. No showmanship whatsoever
Did Sammy Hagar open this show? I think I was at the same concert. Sammy kicked ass and Boston was boring as dirt, right?
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #48
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 0
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Did Sammy Hagar open this show? I think I was at the same concert. Sammy kicked ass and Boston was boring as dirt, right?
That's the one!! Hagar was amazing (I may be in the minority, but I liked Van Halen when he was with them)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #49
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 41000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsalesreptile View Post
I've been to hundreds of clubs, concerts, & festivals since the late 60's. It's a hobby. One horrible performance stands out among occasional bad ones. There was a bar on Rosewood Dr in the 70's - The Left Guard, which booked some really good bands (Mother's Finest, etc). Somehow they booked the New York Dolls, who had a brief fling with fame. When they took the stage, it was just random noise - they really didn't know how to play their instruments....they were about "performance art". They emptied the place in no time. Worst thing I've ever heard.
Wow. Curious which New York Dolls lineup that was. Johnny Thunders was a legend and they were an incredibly influential band for punk and glam. They did use a lot of subsequent musicians that weren't part of the first group that left such a legacy.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #50
burr
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
I guess I can see an ABB concert being being a bit much if you're not into them. Not being into that sound can definitely make it all blend together. I personally love 3 hours of 20 min jams
Big an Allman fan as any but in the early 70s, a couple concerts, maybe more, in maybe Augusta and littlejohn, GregAllman would sing (or slur morelike) about four words and then put his head on the organ console, passed out cold - for the rest of the night ! and I don't care how much you like a good 20 minute jam, a mad DickyBetts is tough to love for long. Single notes held for what seemed like minutes at a time all night for an entire concert ! and what made it tough again was WetWillie usually opened and they were on fire back then, working the crowd to a frenzy.

But I probably paid to see the Allmans 6 or more times ...

Concerts were certainly fun back then, whether or not the music was good. Many times, the sound system sucked, either too loud or not in balance, nothing like todays cleaner sounds, also so much easier on the wallet. Don't see how a kid does it today.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #51
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Concerts were certainly fun back then, whether or not the music was good. Many times, the sound system sucked, either too loud or not in balance, nothing like todays cleaner sounds, also so much easier on the wallet. Don't see how a kid does it today.
Parents' credit card and/or still living with parents ten years after high school with little to no bills. And of course, a light sprinkling of kids that don't have shitty parents, that have jobs and save up their hard earned money.
hank scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #52
burr
4-Star

Male

burr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his combburr is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Parents' credit card and/or still living with parents ten years after high school with little to no bills. And of course, a light sprinkling of kids that don't have shitty parents, that have jobs and save up their hard earned money.
I realize back then, music was sold at the record shop and tours sold the records, tickets were $4 or $5. And it's the opposite now (sorta) but $50 60 70 and more is just way outta my league nowaday, and I couldn't imagine being a young'un with a date (but I also can't imagine movie prices today either). same with games too, I reckon.

ps - sure wish I woulda wore ear protection back then, between concerts, rifle fire and compressed air (at work), my hearing is shot.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #53
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Back in the 90's tickets to most shows were in the $20-30 range. I now it seems like $60 or more is pretty standard
Old 03-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #54
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Back in the 90's tickets to most shows were in the $20-30 range. I now it seems like $60 or more is pretty standard
Yeah but you've also got to remember people bought albums back then instead of downloading them off the internet for free like so many people do now.
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #55
saltwaterron1984
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
saltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot materialsaltwaterron1984 is USC mascot material

I must correct a mistake..Saw the airplane for the first time in 1967..It was the 69 concert I saw the dead..Sometimes a 69 yr old brain malfunctions..If I were computer savvy I would post a picture of the concert poster
saltwaterron1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #56
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
That's the one!! Hagar was amazing (I may be in the minority, but I liked Van Halen when he was with them)
Sidetracking a little but Van Halen was 10x the band with better music with Sammy as the front man. Roth was a showman. Sammy made them so much better with a harder sound. Even individually, Sammy >>>>> Roth and it's not even a contest.

I will never understand those that think VH was better with Roth. Defies logic and music.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:29 AM   #57
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterron1984 View Post
I must correct a mistake..Saw the airplane for the first time in 1967..It was the 69 concert I saw the dead..Sometimes a 69 yr old brain malfunctions..If I were computer savvy I would post a picture of the concert poster
Jeez.

I'm speechless
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #58
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Big an Allman fan as any but in the early 70s, a couple concerts, maybe more, in maybe Augusta and littlejohn, GregAllman would sing (or slur morelike) about four words and then put his head on the organ console, passed out cold - for the rest of the night ! and I don't care how much you like a good 20 minute jam, a mad DickyBetts is tough to love for long. Single notes held for what seemed like minutes at a time all night for an entire concert ! and what made it tough again was WetWillie usually opened and they were on fire back then, working the crowd to a frenzy.

But I probably paid to see the Allmans 6 or more times ...

Concerts were certainly fun back then, whether or not the music was good. Many times, the sound system sucked, either too loud or not in balance, nothing like todays cleaner sounds
, also so much easier on the wallet. Don't see how a kid does it today.
The first Concert I attended (Alice Cooper, 1970) I paid $4.50 for my ticket. Basically it was $4.00
for the show, and you always paid an additional fee for "Seating". That was pretty much the money
the promoters made on the show. The old Greenville Memorial Auditorium was pretty much all
General Admission, meaning you either stood on the floor, or you sat in the arena seats in the
upper level. Occasionally they had what they called Festival Seating where you had chairs on the
floor and your ticket was priced according to what section you sat in on the floor, or GM in the
upper level. You could get a few hundred more tickets sold by making it all GM so that's how 90%
of the concerts in Greenville (and most of those old cookie cut venues) were sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Quote:
I realize back then, music was sold at the record shop and tours sold the records, tickets were $4 or $5. And it's the opposite now (sorta) but $50 60 70 and more is just way outta my league nowaday, and I couldn't imagine being a young'un with a date (but I also can't imagine movie prices today either). same with games too, I reckon.

ps - sure wish I woulda wore ear protection back then, between concerts, rifle fire and compressed air (at work), my hearing is shot.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk.daddy View Post
Yeah but you've also got to remember people bought albums back then instead of downloading them off the internet for free like so many people do now.
Up until the last part of the 1970s and the early part of the 1980s, concert
tours by the bands / artists were started to promote new albums. The latter
dates (after a year or so of promotional tours) was just "The Job" and what
the bands themselves wanted to play, vs doing shows made up of music off
the new LP. Before 1977-'78, shows were brought to cities by Local Promoters
and/or the bigger Radio stations in the region. The majority of the money
for the show itself went to paying for the venue, and to the band, and then
any additional fees went to the promoter. That was usually in the form of
what they called "seating tax". I remember paying tickets for concerts all
through the 70s from $5.00 to later $12.00-$15.00. I said at that time, if
the shows ever hit $20 for a ticket, I'd stop going.

A major event happened in 1976 that pretty much changed Concerts Ticket
charges and concert attendance from that point on. Frampton Comes Alive
was released following almost a year of Management and Personal Promotion
"Hype", calling it in it's pre-release days "Probably The Best Record Ever
Made", ...or at least were calling it "The All Time Greatest Live Album Ever"!!
It was released at that time as the highest price for an Album (somewhere
in the $8.00 range) and the concert tickets for small venues shot up to near
$30.00. ........But too big a sect of the concert attendees bought into the hype,
paid the money for the album and the shows and even though it was "above
average" in sales and concert attendance, it made "MILLIONS" above normal
shows for all facets of the act and the tour. It was then that Corporations
got into Rock n Roll music (and pretty much all genres of music), especially
the merchandising and show attendance. The businesses started paying the
bands/artists up front, and they essentially bought the right to advertise their
company by putting their name on the Tour and the albums. The ticket prices
went from near $20.00 for the highs in the late 70s to an average price of
near $40.00 and some shows reaching $50 in the late 80s. To make it ever
worse, getting into the 90s, you had these once disbanned or retired acts
seeing how much money was being raked in by new artists from the Corporations
that they decided to re-group and do "Reunion Tours" and charge premium
prices to see them "ONE MORE TIME". Those tickets reached into the $100s
and killed off local promoters. You went from going to the Venue box office
to get tickets, to buying them from ticket distributors via mail or by "The
Internet" which was gaining steam at that time. Today, you're paying more
for the corporation name on the tour, than you are to see the artist themselves.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #59
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
The first Concert I attended (Alice Cooper, 1970) I paid $4.50 for my ticket. Basically it was $4.00
for the show, and you always paid an additional fee for "Seating". That was pretty much the money
the promoters made on the show. The old Greenville Memorial Auditorium was pretty much all
General Admission, meaning you either stood on the floor, or you sat in the arena seats in the
upper level. Occasionally they had what they called Festival Seating where you had chairs on the
floor and your ticket was priced according to what section you sat in on the floor, or GM in the
upper level. You could get a few hundred more tickets sold by making it all GM so that's how 90%
of the concerts in Greenville (and most of those old cookie cut venues) were sold.

Up until the last part of the 1970s and the early part of the 1980s, concert
tours by the bands / artists were started to promote new albums. The latter
dates (after a year or so of promotional tours) was just "The Job" and what
the bands themselves wanted to play, vs doing shows made up of music off
the new LP. Before 1977-'78, shows were brought to cities by Local Promoters
and/or the bigger Radio stations in the region. The majority of the money
for the show itself went to paying for the venue, and to the band, and then
any additional fees went to the promoter. That was usually in the form of
what they called "seating tax". I remember paying tickets for concerts all
through the 70s from $5.00 to later $12.00-$15.00. I said at that time, if
the shows ever hit $20 for a ticket, I'd stop going.

A major event happened in 1976 that pretty much changed Concerts Ticket
charges and concert attendance from that point on. Frampton Comes Alive
was released following almost a year of Management and Personal Promotion
"Hype", calling it in it's pre-release days "Probably The Best Record Ever
Made", ...or at least were calling it "The All Time Greatest Live Album Ever"!!
It was released at that time as the highest price for an Album (somewhere
in the $8.00 range) and the concert tickets for small venues shot up to near
$30.00. ........But too big a sect of the concert attendees bought into the hype,
paid the money for the album and the shows and even though it was "above
average" in sales and concert attendance, it made "MILLIONS" above normal
shows for all facets of the act and the tour. It was then that Corporations
got into Rock n Roll music (and pretty much all genres of music), especially
the merchandising and show attendance. The businesses started paying the
bands/artists up front, and they essentially bought the right to advertise their
company by putting their name on the Tour and the albums. The ticket prices
went from near $20.00 for the highs in the late 70s to an average price of
near $40.00 and some shows reaching $50 in the late 80s. To make it ever
worse, getting into the 90s, you had these once disbanned or retired acts
seeing how much money was being raked in by new artists from the Corporations
that they decided to re-group and do "Reunion Tours" and charge premium
prices to see them "ONE MORE TIME". Those tickets reached into the $100s
and killed off local promoters. You went from going to the Venue box office
to get tickets, to buying them from ticket distributors via mail or by "The
Internet" which was gaining steam at that time. Today, you're paying more
for the corporation name on the tour, than you are to see the artist themselves.

I remember when the Eagles did their Hell Freezes over tour, a buddy told me he was getting tickets and asked if he should get me one. I said 'yeah sure' - thinking it would be like $75 tops. After he got the tickets he said I owe him like $120. I could not believe it. That was for the cheapest ticket.

Sometime before the concert, they had to cancel and reschedule ( I think one of the guys in the band was sick or something). They said you can either trade in the ticket for the new date or get a refund. I got a refund.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #60
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
I remember when the Eagles did their Hell Freezes over tour, a buddy told me he was getting tickets and asked if he should get me one. I said 'yeah sure' - thinking it would be like $75 tops. After he got the tickets he said I owe him like $120. I could not believe it. That was for the cheapest ticket.

Sometime before the concert, they had to cancel and reschedule ( I think one of the guys in the band was sick or something). They said you can either trade in the ticket for the new date or get a refund. I got a refund.
I joined the Aerosmith Fan Club in the late 70s because I usually went to any of their
shows in the area and you got first choice at the seats at a really good price off of the
box office prices. Even those started going up in the 80s and 90s, but still decent if you
liked a particular band or artist. In 2001, Aerosmith joined forces with Kiss to do a major
US tour, and my wife and I decided to go and get the tickets through the fan club. For
the seats we wanted, it was going to cost us about $70 each but they were kick ass
seats that were assigned to the Fan Club. We had to call in and place the order either
by phone, or online so when they went on sale, My wife started calling, and I went online
and the first one that got a connection, would let the other know so they'd stop trying
to connect. We tried for over an hour to get through, and then the phone lines went down
and shortly after that, the website crashed. Both were down for almost 4 days ! We
contacted the Fan Site and they "claimed" at that time that the surge of calls and web
connections caused the site to overload and shutdown, but "they were working diligently
to get it back up and running. When it finally was back in service all the premium seats
were sold out, and all that was left for the fan club members was back of the floor seats
and balcony sections. The fansite was HOT, with emails and questions as to what went
on and why the fanclub seats were all sold out. THEY claimed that once the site and
switchboard came back up, there was a flood of purchases of those seats and they all
sold within a couple of hours. ...someone connected to the fanclub found out later that
Aeroforce 1 (the fanclub) had entered into a deal with Hitachi (The Corporate Sponsor
of that tour), and part of the deal was that THEY got the majority of the premium seats
to sell to VIPs, and use as promotions and travel packages, mainly for business deals.

The website lost thousands of members and the fanclub actually shut down for months
and re-tooled with new management to try to regain it's dignity and the trust of the fans.
I didn't go to that show, and have not attended another live show since.