CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
cockinraleigh
MountainCock
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
acejrock
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
GoldenSpur7
NC State already pre (1704)
Home Opener vs UK (1660)
Kick Returners? (742)
Contrasting first 2 (727)
Happy Birthday Coach (330)
Tiffany Mitchell WNB (237)
More Bad News For Fl (122)
Need 2 for Kentucky (15)
Need 2 tickets to KY (10)
Best tv antenna (2)
Best tv antenna
Home Opener vs UK
2018 - Josh Vann
Shirt for the season
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
***Volvo Driving Soccer M
More Bad News For Florida
Position Unit Preview: De
2018 - Channing Tindall
Felder Arrested

Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #21
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPit
Default Re: Hey Old Timers! How does this one rank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
.......... There were several wins bigger
than the one we had over Duke last night. I will not dishonor a team that won
a championship for this school in any sport by saying the win over Duke last night
trumps a title of any kind.
Yeah, I didn't realize at the time I was posting that the OP was referring specifically to the Duke game last night, and edited my post at that time.

And I agree, many games in all sports bigger in and of themselves than beating the dookies last night. "Beating Duke" isn't last night's story anyway.

Now "beating UNC", different story.

But I stand by the belief that this sweet 16 is bigger than the 69 football championship. And Warren Muir is my favorite football Gamecock of all time.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #22
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

53 YO, lifer here. Last night was unbelieveably awesome but for me beating Kentucky at Rupp on Senior Day (when there were still seniors at UK) to lock up the SEC regular season championship was pretty special. That's the only time I've gone to the airport to greet a returning team. The icing on the cake that day was watching Pitino having a hissy fit and getting tossed.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #23
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobinski View Post
Yeah, I didn't realize at the time I was posting that the OP was referring specifically to the Duke game last night, and edited my post at that time.

And I agree, many games in all sports bigger in and of themselves than beating the dookies last night. "Beating Duke" isn't last night's story anyway.

Now "beating UNC", different story.

But I stand by the belief that this sweet 16 is bigger than the 69 football championship. And Warren Muir is my favorite football Gamecock of all time.
Not taking issue with your opinion. You're entitled to that. We'll just see it
differently and continue to bask in the light of last night's Epic Win.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

It is without doubt a big win, but your 2016-17 Men's Basketball story is still in play; a bigger win could be ahead.

As an outsider, the back-to-back Baseball Championships rank #1 RE Gamecock sports. I also think the 2012 a## whipping of UGA was the best ever performance in SC football. That was a very good UGA team.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #25
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382743
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Not real sure why we have to justify how great of a win it is as compared to any other wins in the past, etc, etc...all I know is it is an awesome win, over a great program, at a great time. I'll settle all arguments by saying this was our best basketball win of 2017. SWEET 16!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #26
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

The thing that made the win last night extra special was not so much THAT
we won, but in how we won it. Normally when you get upsets like that, the
winning team is at their best, and you catch the seeded team on a bad night.
Duke was not having a bad night. We just caught fire in the second half, and
the Blue Devils couldn't put out our flame. We got a 10/11 point lead with
over 10 minutes to go in the game, and we pretty much matched them
basket for basket, and rebound for rebound from that point on. We never gave
up that lead, from 10 minutes to the end of the game. They made a couple
of runs and got to within 7-5 points but we would always answer with a big
play or three pointer to get it back out of danger of them pulling off the
comeback.

We beat them on when they were not having a bad game and that makes a
good win even more special !
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #27
thumpin big
Banned

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

The only win I remember that would be as big was beating UNC for the ACC Tournament title in 1971. But last night was certainly the biggest win since then.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 200639
DrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPitDrZyn rules the CockPit

I don't think any previous accomplishment and this should be compared. They are all awesome in my mind. I was 10 years old in 1969 and thought those years were incredible. I also think what the cocks are doing now is spectacular. It's great to have seen it all.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #29
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Eutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPit

I was in the stands as a student for the 69 ACC football championship season and the 69-71 basketball seasons and this is the closest we've come to those glory days, no doubt!! Listening to the fans screaming in the stands last night brought back great memories and tears in my eyes!! What's really great is these guys aren't satisfied with this win, they have a "want it all" attitude and that's exciting!! GO COCKS!! BEAT BAYLOR!!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #30
St. Louis Gamecock
4-Star

Male

St. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
The only win I remember that would be as big was beating UNC for the ACC Tournament title in 1971. But last night was certainly the biggest win since then.
I still have the 1971 Charleston newspaper the day after we beat UNC. It was a thing of beauty.
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #31
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid View Post
I was in the stands as a student for the 69 ACC football championship season and the 69-71 basketball seasons and this is the closest we've come to those glory days, no doubt!! Listening to the fans screaming in the stands last night brought back great memories and tears in my eyes!! What's really great is these guys aren't satisfied with this win, they have a "want it all" attitude and that's exciting!! GO COCKS!! BEAT BAYLOR!!
I said that in a thread here somewhere last night. .... I can't remember if I've
done it before, but I know I haven't done it in over 20 years, but when ESPN
showed Frank Martin with tears in his eyes standing on the floor and his arms
raised up to the fans, and when Silva came over and grabbed him and they
shared that moment..............I teared up myself. It was a big win and when
a guy like Frank Martin starts crying, you know it was a huge event in his
coaching career and for him personally.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #32
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8981001
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
I said that in a thread here somewhere last night. .... I can't remember if I've
done it before, but I know I haven't done it in over 20 years, but when ESPN
showed Frank Martin with tears in his eyes standing on the floor and his arms
raised up to the fans, and when Silva came over and grabbed him and they
shared that moment..............I teared up myself. It was a big win and when
a guy like Frank Martin starts crying, you know it was a huge event in his
coaching career and for him personally.
It was beautiful! Much of our team was crying including the BOSS Thornwell. It means as much to them as it does to us and that's what makes this so special.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #33
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

If I had to rank it by Wins:

1.) The 1971 ACC Title in Basketball (The way we won that game over UNC was awesome)
2.) The first (2010) College World Series Win.
3.) The Win at Florida to give us the 2010 Eastern Conf. Title in Football.
4.) The win over Wake Forrest to give us the 1969 ACC football Title.
5.) The 2011 win over Florida for the second CWS Title. (that was the game where we
staved off a loss several times by turning Double play after Double play. Amazing
performance by the Yardcock's defense that day.

By personal favorite moments:

1.) The play were Kevin Joyce outjumped Lee Dedmon and tipped the ball to Tom Owens
for the easy bucket to seal the win over UNC in the ACC Title game.
2.) Michael Roth's performance against Clemson in the 2010 CWS tournament.
Unbelievable individual performance by a guy you were just wanting to give you a
couple of decent innings to get us to the later innnings. WOW
3.) The 4th and 16 completion from Connor Shaw to Bruce Ellington to take the game
against Missouri to a second OT where we eventually won that game.....capped off the
4th quarter comeback led by Shaw off the bench.
4.) The Hit by Jedeveon Clowney and the fumble recovery after we got screwed by the offiicating
crew at the 2012-13 Outback Bowl.
5.) John Roche's performance in the 1972 ACC Tourney semi Final game against NC State. We eventually
lost, but Roche played with a sprained ankle that was shot up with Cortisone from an
injury he sustained in the Wake Forrest game the day before. Hit two buzzer beating shots, one to
get us to OT, and then another to take us to a 2nd OT even though we eventually lost that
game to the Wolfpack. ... one of the most gutsy individual efforts I've ever seen in
sports. Gamecock or any other team.

Last edited by Spurticus; 03-20-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #34
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

The ACC title game with Roche and his sprained ankle was 1970, I believe. The year before Joyce out-jumped Dedmon - we did not win the regular season that year but left the ACC with our first tournament win.

Duke may be even better than UNC now, but I got more pleasure beating UNC in 1971. Duke is kinda like a Tobacco Road outsider - they do not fit in with UNC and NC State (which is actually a part of the UNC system). Most of the Dookies are not from the state anyway.

We played some great games with Duke back then but the animosity was with UNC, in large part because McGuire had coached at both schools. Also, UNC asserted control over the whole league, and teamed up with the other NC schools and Virginia to form a majority to get what they wanted - like stripping the ACC football title from us in 1965 and ruling Mike Grosso ineligible. No way anything would have been done to UNC in either of those situations - heck, even now they have yet to receive any punishment for massive academic fraud.

I would love to play and beat those jerks this year - but there is only one way that can happen.....
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #35
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Asking me to pick my favorite basketball moment is like asking me to pick a favorite child. In chronological order:

1. The ACC Tournament championship: We had been behind the whole game and Dean Smith had NC in the four corners so our chances were dwindling. We finally managed to get within one and sent Lee Dedmond to shoot a one & one for NC. (At the time there was no double bonus nor was there a 3 point shot.) Dedmond airballed the shot. With just a few seconds and trailing by 1 we missed what might be our last chance. In a scramble for the rebound Dedmond, 6'10" and Kevin Joyce, 6'3" inches were called for a jump ball. Joyce out jumped Dedmond probably by just being quicker and tipped it to Tom Owens for the one point win. Incredibly it looked as if Owens and one other Gamecock were left uncovered near our basket.
The broadcast turned off immediately after the final horn sounded...no celebration, no cutting down of the nets, etc. The previous year when we lost to NC State they showed the people cleaning the floor. SCREW YOU ACC!!!

2. Winning the regular season SEC at Kentucky on Senior Day. Dickie V mouthing off about USC has no chance. "When they play My Old Kentucky Home there won't be a dry eye in the house. Sorry South Carolina."

3. Beating Duke, the odds on favorite to win the championship, in convincing fashion. It's technically not the most important win we've had but it may be the most emotional. That's over 45 years of hate & frustration built up and we finally got to bitch slap one of the two major players in the screwing we got from the ACC.
Hopefully this win will convince the players we have now that Martin's methods work to build a team and to mold them as better players and men and that they will pass on this trust and confidence to the new people who come into the program. It could be that important to our program if we keep believing and put in the work.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #36
palmharborcock
Banned

Male

palmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his combpalmharborcock is developing his comb

Here's an 'old timer' who remembers camping out the night before tickets were available to see Roche and Owens and Riker....watching Alex English glide across campus in his 6'long leather jacket...watching Kevin Joyce out jump guys 6 inches taller......there was 'magic in the air'...and this my young friends rivals those' good old days'...so good to feel that spirit again on the hardwoods...eat it up...enjoy...and one day too...you will remember these "good old days"...
palmharborcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #37
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The thing that made the win last night extra special was not so much THAT
we won, but in how we won it. Normally when you get upsets like that, the
winning team is at their best, and you catch the seeded team on a bad night.
Duke was not having a bad night. We just caught fire in the second half, and
the Blue Devils couldn't put out our flame. We got a 10/11 point lead with
over 10 minutes to go in the game, and we pretty much matched them
basket for basket, and rebound for rebound from that point on. We never gave
up that lead, from 10 minutes to the end of the game. They made a couple
of runs and got to within 7-5 points but we would always answer with a big
play or three pointer to get it back out of danger of them pulling off the
comeback.

We beat them on when they were not having a bad game and that makes a
good win even more special !
^^ This.

It is also why I think we are not done.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #38
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I was a student back in the Eddie Fogler era. You can't dismiss what we did there as a season-long achievement. Our NCAA tournaments were extremely disappointing. As for a single game win this is as big as I can remember.

However the win against Alabama and our two national titles in baseball are bigger in the history of the school. But I would put this win right up there with the Alabama one.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #39
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

I was at the game when we beat unc. I was only 10 years old but I understood what it meant to beat them and win the title. That said, I really understand what we did Sunday night and I will have to put it even with the unc win.
Great thing about this whole conversation is we are not done yet. We have a shot at getting to the final 8 if not the Final 4....This is the most excited I have ever been in my entire adult life about Gamecock basketball...
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #40
al hough
Recruit

Male

al hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPital hough rules the CockPit

My Dear Fellow Gamecocks, this 83 year old former bench player Gamecock remembers just about every single high point in all of our sports going back to the forties and I relish every single one of them. Most of you are a lot younger and I want to point out just how much the games have changed in my lifetime as well as the players. Just one difference, I was a six foot two inch 165 pound forward/center and our tallest guy was a six ft six inch guy. We only had three of us that could dunk!
Sorry for the rambling, I just LOVE every minute of games like the huge win over Duke!!
I love the way our Coach, Frank Martin, operates and is always teaching the guys. I am going to enjoy watching every minute of every game in the time that our LORD gives me in the days and years ahead. I am going to enjoy every Legends weekend that I am able to attend in the future! GO GAMECOCKS!!!
al hough is offline   Reply With Quote