CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
Blitzkrieg
cocky0
GregoryHouse
ConwayGamecock
The Yancey
GeoCocky66
catdaddy66
gamecock88
Ace Dilcock
Felder Arrested (2726)
Grad Transfer To USC (920)
Schedule Preview and (800)
No cable or Dish (674)
Predict the Gamecock (470)
RIP EP (428)
PODCAST: 2017 Predic (160)
Mr. Mercedes TV Seri (100)
Are you one of those (0)
Felder Arrested
Grad Transfer To USC
No cable or Dish
Hassani Gravett With USA
2017 High School Football
Predict the Gamecocks' fi
Schedule Preview and Pred
Been away for a while, bu
2019 - Garrett Shrader
2017 Roster

Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
The Dude
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000475
The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material
Default What are you reading?

OK...just wanted to start a thread where people could discuss what they are currently reading, or if they arent reading something right now- what was the last book you read? I'd like to use this as a way to remind myself of books that I meant to add to my "list" at one point, but may have forgotten about since first hearing about it...or just hearing about something new that sounds interesting.

Last book I read was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and before that it was Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (much better than the movie, as is the case w/ most book/movies)
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82
Default Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Into the Tower Born. It's historical fiction based on real events and people. Supposedly, King Richard III murdered his two nephews who would have been kings, but he wanted the throne so he had them killed...allegedly. Haven't gotten that far into it yet.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
The Dude
Banned

Male

The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82
I'm reading Into the Tower Born. It's historical fiction based on real events and people. Supposedly, King Richard III murdered his two nephews who would have been kings, but he wanted the throne so he had them killed...allegedly. Haven't gotten that far into it yet.
ok, maybe its because im a history major...but i just dont get the reason for historical fiction?

seems like an oxymoron.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I just bought "Sail" by my favorite (and the best fiction) author James Patterson.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
The Dude
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock
I just bought "Sail" by my favorite (and the best fiction) author James Patterson.
I'd be interested to hear what that is about...

The last I read, A Walk in the Woods is about a writer who lived in England for 20 years, and then returned to the U.S., and in an attempt to "rediscover" America, he decided to hike the AT

included an invite to anyone who wanted to join him when he sent out Christmas cards one year, and had one guy he knew in college accept the invite...the two are not experienced hikers, and the college-buddy is even less prepared and out of shape, which makes for some funny reading...but also a lot of informative stuff from the author about the history of the AT and its current state.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
SNEEZ
Weapon of Mass Disruption

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 24013420
SNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to SNEEZ

just picked up Forrest GUmp today going to start it tonight.

I've heard REALLY good things about this book
Old 06-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Slacker USC
OG

Male

CockyCash: 705
Slacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Slacker USC

I just finished "The Revolution: A Manifesto" (great read) and am currently reading "The Post-American World". Hopefully I'll have time to finish it this weekend.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude
ok, maybe its because im a history major...but i just dont get the reason for historical fiction?

seems like an oxymoron.
Well, obviously we don't know what was REALLY said between two people back in the 1400s. The author is giving words to real people, aka Princess Bessie, who will later become Henry VIII's mother.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
TheGuitarCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2872
TheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot material

The Purpose Driven Life
TheGuitarCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Zee
That's Bullbird Man

Male

CockyCash: 1000001335
Zee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot materialZee is USC mascot material

last book i read was Kite Runner, about a year ago. Currently I'm reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
morgan n' 7
somewhat unoriginal

Male

Signature: Award given for the best signature - Given for: having the best signature of 2005 
CockyCash: 400
morgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot material

I recently purchased a book on Greenville from B&N. A history of the city and county. Didn't go there to buy it, but it caught my eye. Been interesting so far.

it's by Archie Vernon Huff,Jr.
morgan n' 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Click-Clack
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Click-Clack has feathers coming inClick-Clack has feathers coming inClick-Clack has feathers coming in

My Grandfather's Son - autobiography by Clarence Thomas
Click-Clack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

I just started "Killing Rage" by Eamon Collins. About the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland and the IRA.

I just got finished reading the collection of short stories "Holidays On Ice" By David Sedaris...absolutely laugh out loud funny..."Dinah the Christmas Whore" is a classic and "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family" is a must read.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
zappa
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1959100
zappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot material

Right now,I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.It's a history of the Mormon religion.Warts and all,mostly warts.I recently read Duma Key by Stephen King.It's his best book in years.Others I have read recently are Bob Gibson's autobiography,And several Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke,who IMO,is our finest living fiction writer.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
carolinafan53186
1st Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
palmettogirlusc
Resident Fashion Expert

Female

Avatar: Award given for the best avatar - Given for: having the best avatar of 2005 
CockyCash: 99987
palmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot material

i'm not really a book nerd. but i'll find one everyonce in a while that sparks my interest.

The last few books that i've read...

Gone With the Wind. (i refused to watch the movie until i read the book, so glad i did it that way, while the movie is pretty much amazing...the book is 20 times better and for those of you that know the story...did you know Scarlette had another child?!?! She had Wade before she had "Bonnie")

A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style by Tim Gunn (the "make it work" guy off of project runway) Great book about discovering your personal style and not looking like trash. The guy is actually fairly hillarious, dry sense of humor but hillarious.

Pledged- The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins I finished this book in 3 days. Its very intriguing to see how other sororities run and how the girls live. While i HIGHLY disagree with the method that this woman went to get the information (i know CCC will agree with me on this...she pledged a sorority and then spilled the beans in this book about the innerworkings and rituals) its still an intersting read. And some things in the book are normal...others are...not.

and now the one i'm currently reading
A Delirious Summer by Ray Blackston. A missionary who lived in South America moves to Greenville, SC of all places to try his hand at dating. So far pretty good.

palmettogirlusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Started reading an older book called the 8th commandment my dad reccomended.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude
OK...just wanted to start a thread where people could discuss what they are currently reading, or if they arent reading something right now- what was the last book you read? I'd like to use this as a way to remind myself of books that I meant to add to my "list" at one point, but may have forgotten about since first hearing about it...or just hearing about something new that sounds interesting.

Last book I read was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and before that it was Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (much better than the movie, as is the case w/ most book/movies)
I've read both f those Dude. A walk in the Woods was quite humorous. Into the Wild was a bit more somber and serious. Both were good.

I just recently finished Pompeii. It's historical fiction about the events around Vesuvius. Pretty good read as well.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa
Right now,I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven BY Jon Krakauer.It's a history of the Mormon religion.Warts and all,mostly warts.I recently read Duma Key by Stephen King.It's his best book in years.Others I have read recently are Bob Gibson's autobiography,And several Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke,who IMO,is our finest living fiction writer.
That is a great book and very informative. I learned all sorts of things about the Mormon religion I did not know. The interesting thing is that we have a current and recent historical record of it's beginnings. It was an eye opener.

Anything Krakauer writes is great to me. Into the Wild, Into Thin Air, etc. All his Outside Magazine stuff...love where he is coming from. He is kinda like my "Jack London" in a way.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
carolina80
Chaplain of CockyTalk

Male

CockyCash: 200
carolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot material

I am currently re-reading a trilogy by Ferrol Sams. It is a semi-autobiography by the man who is by trade, a practicing physician. He is an amazing storyteller, and if you like stuff about southern culture, these are the best books you will open. The first is "Run With The Horsemen", followed by "Whisper Of The River" and completed by "When All The World Was Young".. If you are my age, you will be able to identify with a great deal of it, especially if you grew up in a rural background. If you are younger, well this is the way it was. It deals with growing up, losing one's innocence, and discovering one's role in the world. It has everything: psychology, sociology, theology, history, and lots of humor.