CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Spur's Addiction
GSC2013
thekob
Blitzkrieg
TKE226
TastyLicks
SanAntonioCock
2k15
CoverTwo
Vandy line (1560)
Stacking Up the Next (1539)
Ryan Succop destroys (1178)
Deebo's Return: Soon (1113)
UGA/FLA: Critical ga (932)
2017 CFB Unbeatens (544)
Will the Gamecocks S (476)
Georgia Kick-off Tim (405)
Homecoming queen dri (332)
question about where (269)
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
Vandy line
2018 - Channing Tindall
POSSIBLY The Greatest Coa
Georgia Kick-off Time Ann
2017 Garnet and Black Wor
Name a Gamecock
Baseball Recruiting Threa
question about where to s
Stacking Up the Next 3 We

Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
CarolinaGirl82
Short and Sassy

Female

CockyCash: 593
CarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina80
I am currently re-reading a trilogy by Ferrol Sams. It is a semi-autobiography by the man who is by trade, a practicing physician. He is an amazing storyteller, and if you like stuff about southern culture, these are the best books you will open. The first is "Run With The Horsemen", followed by "Whisper Of The River" and completed by "When All The World Was Young".. If you are my age, you will be able to identify with a great deal of it, especially if you grew up in a rural background. If you are younger, well this is the way it was. It deals with growing up, losing one's innocence, and discovering one's role in the world. It has everything: psychology, sociology, theology, history, and lots of humor.
Wow....ironic that you mention those books...I am currently reading the first one...

Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #22
GamecockDad1531
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

I am currently re-reading Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. He was a fairly well off writer who decided to live in poverty and write about the experience in the 1930's. Really interesting. My favourite author, no doubt.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #23
carolina80
Chaplain of CockyTalk

Male

carolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl82
Wow....ironic that you mention those books...I am currently reading the first one...

Well read them all in order...when you see the entire picture you step back and think "wow"....when you re read them you begin to understand how well written they are
Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #24
scfan2001
I'm comin for u

Male

scfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa
Right now,I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.It's a history of the Mormon religion.Warts and all,mostly warts.I recently read Duma Key by Stephen King.It's his best book in years.Others I have read recently are Bob Gibson's autobiography,And several Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke,who IMO,is our finest living fiction writer.
I almost bought that Stephen King book the other day. I may go back and get it since you say it's his best in years.
scfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #25
scfan2001
I'm comin for u

Male

scfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina80
I am currently re-reading a trilogy by Ferrol Sams. It is a semi-autobiography by the man who is by trade, a practicing physician. He is an amazing storyteller, and if you like stuff about southern culture, these are the best books you will open. The first is "Run With The Horsemen", followed by "Whisper Of The River" and completed by "When All The World Was Young".. If you are my age, you will be able to identify with a great deal of it, especially if you grew up in a rural background. If you are younger, well this is the way it was. It deals with growing up, losing one's innocence, and discovering one's role in the world. It has everything: psychology, sociology, theology, history, and lots of humor.
That sounds like it would be interesting. I may have to check those out.
scfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #26
wrencock88
@blackrangerzack

Male

CockyCash: 343
wrencock88 is sharpening his clawswrencock88 is sharpening his clawswrencock88 is sharpening his clawswrencock88 is sharpening his claws

i just started ashes of roses, and the newest harry potter
Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #27
CarolinaGirl82
Short and Sassy

Female

CockyCash: 593
CarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGirl82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfan2001
Get them from amazon.com...that's where I got mine...$34 for all 3 plus expedited shipping...mine are all paperback...
Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #28
carolina80
Chaplain of CockyTalk

Male

carolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfan2001
seriously, I could not recommend any set of books more highly

Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #29
Talon1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Talon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talonsTalon1 has developed his gaff and talons

The Client by John Grisham
Talon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #30
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 250
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time "Gonzo Papers, Vol. I" by Hunter S. Thompson. It is a collection of articles written by HST. It is very good. I love reading HST. He has a great sense of humor.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:39 AM   #31
morgan n' 7
somewhat unoriginal

Male

Signature: Award given for the best signature - Given for: having the best signature of 2005 
CockyCash: 400
morgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot materialmorgan n' 7 is USC mascot material

I don't know if any of you are in to Audio books.... But I read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" years back. It was great.

Some time later, I had to take a long road trip and bought the unabridged audio book. Incredible. Just came alive and had extra interviews.

Although I liked the movie, it sucks in comparison...and doesn't tell the whole story.

#1 it took place over 10 years, but the movie makes it look like months.

#2 The real Mandy never had an affair with John. She loved Joe.

..and John....well, lets just say he was more into the lady Chablis' world.

#3 Minerva (Voodoo lady) lived in Beaufort ,SC. Jim Williams drove John there to meet her....not in a graveyard in Savannah, GA.

#4 The best characters(real people) are barely mentioned in the movie. They could have made a great movie about Joe or Emma alone.

I highly recommend this audio book for a road trip and Highly recommend just the regular book for those looking for a good one.

Last edited by morgan n' 7; 06-21-2008 at 02:55 PM..
morgan n' 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #32
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

I'm being the nerd I am and re-reading The Hobbit since the movie is coming out in a couple of years (hopefully).
USCMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #33
The Dude
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000475
The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material

Good stuff everyone!

And I agree, LBC, about Jon Krakauer...
I strarted reading Into Thin Air a year or so ago...but unfortunately forgot my copy in a friend's van before he drove to Colorado...LOL

I will be picking it up again here soon and finishing it. I had already been thinking about picking up Under the Banner of Heaven
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #34
bigbear1980
Walk On

Male

bigbear1980 has hatched from the shell

I'm all about the fantasy books. I really enjoy all the Forgotten realms and Tad Williams books.
I'm currently reading The Lady Penitent series by Lisa Smeldman.
If your only taste of fantasy Literature has been The Hobbit, or The Lord Of the Rings, your really missing out!
I'd recommend Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy, or the Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore
bigbear1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #35
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

I love to read and try to read books by people that can make you "think" about what is going on in the world today.

I am currently reading; "An Inconvenient Book" by Glenn Beck. I enjoy his radio and tv shows, when I am able to catch them.

Before this book, I had read; "America Alone" by a British American Author, which is about Islam taking over Europe and then the rest of the world. I wish I could tell you the author, but I loaned it to a friend. I lose more books that way.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #36
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCMusicMan
I'm being the nerd I am and re-reading The Hobbit since the movie is coming out in a couple of years (hopefully).
Great book! I have read all the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit a couple of times. I need to read it again, as you are doing to get a feel for the movie before it comes out.

I really enjoyed all three movies of the Lord of The Rings. I have watched them many, many times, when there is nothing else on TV.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #37
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

The Collaborative Teacher

and

Romans
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #38
egnarts
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 700
egnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot materialegnarts is USC mascot material

My all time favorite is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Explains the world today even though it was written in the thirties.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #39
Click-Clack
Banned

Male

Click-Clack has feathers coming inClick-Clack has feathers coming inClick-Clack has feathers coming in

If you want a good book that makes you think, check out "Dinner with a Perfect Stranger". Excellent and a quick read.
Click-Clack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #40
The Dude
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000475
The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material

Went down to the Book Dispensary today in the Boozer Shopping Center in Columbia, which is a great place to find early/first editions, rare copies, and cheap paperbacks...

all paperback books are 40% off retail value!

Picked up Thoreau's Walden and Civil Disobedience, Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Dostoevsky's The Idiot

Paid 14.50 for all 3 together!
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote