CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Jim Lahey
SanAntonioCock
carolina_corpsman
TaySC
kingofnerf
TKE226
GoldenSpur7
GuyInTheGreenHouse
WeCocky2001
WHAT THE FRICK (1794)
We Want Zion (1394)
National Championshi (1351)
I Hear ya. .. That t (1228)
Only Conference With (794)
Silva (699)
3 SEC East Teams in (678)
Screw the SEC, I wan (673)
Who Will The HBC Pul (644)
Former Gamecock Mike (577)
National Championship
Don't underestimate Flori
Does the basketball run..
WHAT THE FRICK
3 SEC East Teams in Elite
2017 NCAA Women's Tournam
Who Will The HBC Pull For
School records
We Want Zion
Baltimore Area Gamecocks

Old 06-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #41
The Dude
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000475
The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnarts
My all time favorite is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Explains the world today even though it was written in the thirties.
very interesting book, but I absolutely despise Rand's writing style...
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #42
zappa
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1959100
zappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot material

Douglas Brinkley edited a lot of Hunter Thompson's correspondence,from the 50's on,into 2 volumes called The Lost Highway.Great stuff.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #43
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Read about the first 100 pages of Almost a Miracle which is an unromanticized account or the Revolutionary War. Selling a house & moving got it put into a box. I'll be digging it out again this fall when the improvements, etc are done on the new house.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #44
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine
Great book! I have read all the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit a couple of times. I need to read it again, as you are doing to get a feel for the movie before it comes out.

I really enjoyed all three movies of the Lord of The Rings. I have watched them many, many times, when there is nothing else on TV.
Dude, if you are going to read fantasy, then you need to check out one of SC's finest (and a Citadel Graduate): Robert Jordan. Many regard him as the "Tolkein of our time", second to Tolkein himself. He has a great series called The Wheel of Time. Sadly, he died recently, halfway through his last book in the series (like the 12th or 13th book), but he had everything prepared and has someone taking his place to write the last half of the book.
USCMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #45
JonneyGamecock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
JonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettogirlusc
i'm not really a book nerd. but i'll find one everyonce in a while that sparks my interest.

The last few books that i've read...

Gone With the Wind. (i refused to watch the movie until i read the book, so glad i did it that way, while the movie is pretty much amazing...the book is 20 times better and for those of you that know the story...did you know Scarlette had another child?!?! She had Wade before she had "Bonnie")

A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style by Tim Gunn (the "make it work" guy off of project runway) Great book about discovering your personal style and not looking like trash. The guy is actually fairly hillarious, dry sense of humor but hillarious.

Pledged- The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins I finished this book in 3 days. Its very intriguing to see how other sororities run and how the girls live. While i HIGHLY disagree with the method that this woman went to get the information (i know CCC will agree with me on this...she pledged a sorority and then spilled the beans in this book about the innerworkings and rituals) its still an intersting read. And some things in the book are normal...others are...not.

and now the one i'm currently reading
A Delirious Summer by Ray Blackston. A missionary who lived in South America moves to Greenville, SC of all places to try his hand at dating. So far pretty good.
Have you ever read the book "Goat"? It's about Kappa Sig at Clemson in the early 90's I believe. It's pretty dark but still pretty interesting.
JonneyGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #46
JonneyGamecock
Walk On

Male

JonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervousJonneyGamecock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettogirlusc
i'm not really a book nerd. but i'll find one everyonce in a while that sparks my interest.

The last few books that i've read...

Gone With the Wind. (i refused to watch the movie until i read the book, so glad i did it that way, while the movie is pretty much amazing...the book is 20 times better and for those of you that know the story...did you know Scarlette had another child?!?! She had Wade before she had "Bonnie")

A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style by Tim Gunn (the "make it work" guy off of project runway) Great book about discovering your personal style and not looking like trash. The guy is actually fairly hillarious, dry sense of humor but hillarious.

Pledged- The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins I finished this book in 3 days. Its very intriguing to see how other sororities run and how the girls live. While i HIGHLY disagree with the method that this woman went to get the information (i know CCC will agree with me on this...she pledged a sorority and then spilled the beans in this book about the innerworkings and rituals) its still an intersting read. And some things in the book are normal...others are...not.

and now the one i'm currently reading
A Delirious Summer by Ray Blackston. A missionary who lived in South America moves to Greenville, SC of all places to try his hand at dating. So far pretty good.
Have you ever read the book "Goat"? It's about Kappa Sig at Clemson in the early 90's I believe. It's pretty dark but still pretty interesting.
JonneyGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #47
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 1370783
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Next
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #48
Jolly Roger
Pillaging & Plundering

Male

CockyCash: 9800
Jolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot materialJolly Roger is USC mascot material

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-.../dp/0316067598

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 written by Marcus Luttrell

Quote:
Luttrell led a four-man team of Navy SEALs into the mountains of Afghanistan on a mission to kill a Taliban leader thought to be allied with Osama bin Laden. On foot, the team encountered two adult men and a teenage boy. A debate broke out as to whether the SEALs should summarily execute the trio to keep them from alerting the Taliban. Luttrell himself was called upon to make the decision. He was torn between considerations of morality and his survival instinct, and he points out that "any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one. Because nothing's fair in war, and occasionally the wrong people do get killed."
I read the book in one day. This is a gripping recount of how an actual mission went terribly bad, written by the only survivor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Luttrell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #49
SpuR48
Thread Killer

Male

CockyCash: 1002
SpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot materialSpuR48 is USC mascot material

Just recently finished "Seven Deadly Wonders" and "Six Sacred Stones" by Matt Reilley. Just started Robert Ludlam's "The Chancellor Manuscript."
SpuR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #50
APalmetto10
1st Team All-SEC

Female

APalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot materialAPalmetto10 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to APalmetto10 Send a message via Yahoo to APalmetto10

Helter Skelter by Vince Bugliosi. Spooky Scary account of the Manson murders and trial. Scary but outrageously interesting at the same time.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #51
Dietz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Dietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot material

I find myself reading several books concurrently...

...during the school year I'm WAAAY too busy to finish one from beginning to end so I'll start several and finish the ones I find interesting during the summer...

...right now it's C.S. Lewis' The Problem with Pain, he tries to explain to us why God allows us to suffer...

...also reading William T. Vollmann's The Rainbow Stories, true accounts of his experiences living in San Fran with skinheads, hookers, and homeless people...

...also rereading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #52
The Dude
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000475
The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material

We had another thread on this, but I cant find it...came across this one and decided to resurrect it

Over the past few months i've gotten through;

All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

Currently reading;
Where Men Win Glory - Jon Krakauer
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #53
zappa
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1959100
zappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot materialzappa is USC mascot material

The new Cleopatra bio.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #54
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
We had another thread on this, but I cant find it...came across this one and decided to resurrect it

Over the past few months i've gotten through;

All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

Currently reading;
Where Men Win Glory - Jon Krakauer
I've not read 'All the Pretty Horses' (butt love McCarthy) but both Krakauer books are terrific.

Last edited by LBC; 02-09-2011 at 03:45 PM..
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #55
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 1370783
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Just finished Vince Flynn's American Assassin

Just started Dale Brown's Shadow Command
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #56
cock13
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

ordered David Simon's "Homicide: A Year in the Killing Streets", he's one of the writers of The Wire (small obsession of mine), and this is the book he wrote after spending a year with the Baltimore City PD, and was his inspiration for the series
cock13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #57
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

It's been a while so here are the last few books I've read:

The Renegade Sportsman: Drunken Runners, Bike Polo Superstars, Roller Derby Rebels, Killer Birds, and Other Uncommon Thrills on the Frontier of Sports - Zach Dundas

Drink, Play, **** - Andrew Gottlieb

Sweetness and Blood - Michael Scott Moore

Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life - Steve Almond
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #58
MBGCockOld
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 81420865
MBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot material

Just picked up The "E" Myth.
MBGCockOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #59
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 121120
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Dante Club by Matthew Pearl, so far so GREAT... I got hooked by the preface!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #60
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

don't hate - Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix