CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Luke Skycocker
TaySC
Cockhornleghorn
kingofnerf
Ironfan
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
Wisercock
SwampFox
*** #15 UofSC WBB (1 (1137)
Man Injects 18 'Dose (419)
2019 - DeQuan Watts
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
Discussion: 2020 Recruiti
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
No longer USC
Camden, SC Eats
Gamecocks Road to the NCA
2019 - Jamario Holley
2020 - Don Chaney Jr.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #61
Waterloo Gamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Waterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spurs
Default Re: Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
“They didn’t care about this game since they got cheated out of the playoff”
Excuses . They cared Saturday when their players took to twitter crying like little boys that they got screwed. once they did that,didn't care,didn't want to be there went out the window. Today they are being laughed at on national media.
Waterloo Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #62
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Gamecock View Post
Excuses . They cared Saturday when their players took to twitter crying like little boys that they got screwed. once they did that,didn't care,didn't want to be there went out the window. Today they are being laughed at on national media.
No I was putting it in quotes as sarcasm.
I don’t actually mean that
Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #63
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 50200
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
UGA should have gotten in??? Where are those people now?
so, they got beat by seven. they already took bama to the wire..notre dame wouldve gotten by 65-0 by bama.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #64
Lalli25
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
so, they got beat by seven. they already took bama to the wire..notre dame wouldve gotten by 65-0 by bama.
Beat by 7 by the 15th team in the country who went 9-4 and lost to Maryland. It wasn't as close as the score would make you think.

Last edited by Lalli25; 01-10-2019 at 08:43 PM..
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #65
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Texas was not good.
They lost 4 games this year, and gave up 30+ Points to Okie State and Maryland (in both losses)

Even with “players sitting out” Georgia’s second string should be better and they weren’t.
They were out coached and out classed
Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #66
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Texas was not good.
They lost 4 games this year, and gave up 30+ Points to Okie State and Maryland (in both losses)

Even with “players sitting out” Georgia’s second string should be better and they weren’t.

UGA didn't care just like we looked. Doesn't bother me though I dont like them and like them to lose! Nice job Herman lol
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #67
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is likely a true statement and why I think UTex is an emerging program.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #68
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
This is likely a true statement and why I think UTex is an emerging program.
Always has been they just needed the coach.
Strong was not the right one.
Herman is .
Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #69
rioninusc
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
I get the point, and we're digressing into what-ifs, but I still think there's room for the conference champs and the top three teams.

And yeah, every year they'll be a conference champ that probably isn't one of the top 8 teams, but it makes the conference championship games important (otherwise, at 8 teams, it's almost better to drop one regular season game in the SEC and not play in Atlanta) and also with the three at large would be able to pick up the teams that missed b/c of a bad conference game. And if said team is that much on the bubble, they don't deserve to be there anyway.

Whatever the method, 8 teams and it will encompass everyone with any reasonable argument.
Agreed there are many reasons why some teams might have 2 or more losses, some due to injury, bad officiating, or one in a million hail Mary's as time expire games. Heck USC is 2-3 wins better this year if they had as many injuries as Clemson did. Note to USC, remember to drink your Ostarine, it keeps the injuries away.

Championship time is when it's all on the line, if you get embarrassed by a 6-6 team in the conference championship, then you might not deserve that at large spot if you went 12-1. Also there could be more painted, Heisman QB goes down and you must rely on the back up. UCF would've beaten LSU if they had their 1st string QB. Clemson doesn't sniff the CFP if Lawrence goes down. See how easy it is to be a NCG title contender to not even being in contention?

This is why playoffs are there, it's to give teams that were on that cusp of greatness to have a chance to shine, due to set backs that other luckier teams didn't have to face.

One good example is what if Lawrence was knocked out from games 3 to 9 due to an injury, Clemson loses 2 conference games and is out of the Conference championship, Lawrence comes back and lights up the last 3 teams. Does a 10-2 Clemson not deserve a look as a possible at large team in an 8 to 12 team playoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Geezus View Post
ND earned their spot. We're regularly seeing blowouts in the semi-finals, and somehow people think bringing in lower ranked teams is the solution.
Bet you would love to not have faced BAMA last year and get walloped 24-6. There are a lot of teams, and it's tougher to tell who's the best when that many teams are involved and they can't go against each other, so it's tougher to tell who is more deserving. There will be less talk of deserving teams with a 8-12 team playoff.

I do think a regular season game needs to go away, the division 2a team can be an exhibition matchup a few weeks before the regular season, or during the spring. Don't let it reflect on rankings, so maybe a few weeks before the regular season.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #70
Curt Geezus
Retiring at 4,000

Male

CockyCash: 101252
Curt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Bet you would love to not have faced BAMA last year and get walloped 24-6. There are a lot of teams, and it's tougher to tell who's the best when that many teams are involved and they can't go against each other, so it's tougher to tell who is more deserving. There will be less talk of deserving teams with a 8-12 team playoff.

I do think a regular season game needs to go away, the division 2a team can be an exhibition matchup a few weeks before the regular season, or during the spring. Don't let it reflect on rankings, so maybe a few weeks before the regular season.
Alabama was the better team last year regardless of the number of teams in the playoffs. It really isn't that tough to pick the 4 teams that deserve to be in the playoffs when people stop making excuses and look at it objectively.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #71
Curt Geezus
Retiring at 4,000

Male

CockyCash: 101252
Curt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
why would ND join a conference if they can go undefeated and make the playoff?
Because then you can make it into the playoff without going undefeated. I don't think an 11-1 ND team will make it in most years.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #72
Waterloo Gamecock
4-Star

Male

Waterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spursWaterloo Gamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Agreed there are many reasons why some teams might have 2 or more losses, some due to injury, bad officiating, or one in a million hail Mary's as time expire games. Heck USC is 2-3 wins better this year if they had as many injuries as Clemson did. Note to USC, remember to drink your Ostarine, it keeps the injuries away.

Championship time is when it's all on the line, if you get embarrassed by a 6-6 team in the conference championship, then you might not deserve that at large spot if you went 12-1. Also there could be more painted, Heisman QB goes down and you must rely on the back up. UCF would've beaten LSU if they had their 1st string QB. Clemson doesn't sniff the CFP if Lawrence goes down. See how easy it is to be a NCG title contender to not even being in contention?

This is why playoffs are there, it's to give teams that were on that cusp of greatness to have a chance to shine, due to set backs that other luckier teams didn't have to face.

One good example is what if Lawrence was knocked out from games 3 to 9 due to an injury, Clemson loses 2 conference games and is out of the Conference championship, Lawrence comes back and lights up the last 3 teams. Does a 10-2 Clemson not deserve a look as a possible at large team in an 8 to 12 team playoff?

This didn't age well
Waterloo Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #73
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Alabama was the better team last year regardless of the number of teams in the playoffs. It really isn't that tough to pick the 4 teams that deserve to be in the playoffs when people stop making excuses and look at it objectively.
Totally agree. If one team dominates others in most phases of the game, you can just tell by watching. It really isn't that hard to pick #1 & #2, the other 2 spots might be more objective.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #74
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

I was one who thought Uga was one of the best 4 teams after the seccg. I think bowl games and motivation can be tricky when dealing with teams that expect to or were in position to play for a NC. That said, after the dust settled I think they got it right this year...and stankin' ass clemson won and there is no debate who the best team was that night. I did enjoy seeing Saban look completely lost at times though too
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #75
rioninusc
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's the thing , after USC I didn't think Clemson was a top 4 team.

Another reason for more teams. Ohio St in 2014 slow start then lit it up at the end. There are years like this one where the #1 and #2 team we're the clear leaders, and others they got there off of easiness of schedule aka ND.

There are teams outside of that 4 that also beat the crap out of teams that beat teams that won or went to the playoffs. TCU beat the crap out of ole Miss in 2014 a team that beat Bama lost to during the regular season.

I just think that there are too many teams to determine a clear 4, I have my opinion on my top 4 before the cfp. It was

1 Bama
2 Clemson.
4 Oklahoma.
3 UGA

I only put UGA at 3 to avoid rematch until potential national title game.

Clemson came back to form on Pittt on defense, if Pitt put 30+ on Clemson I would've questioned them with Ohio St.

Acc don't have a decent record outside of Syracuse and Clemson. Heck Pitt a 6 and 6 team was Clemson's opponent in the ACC cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Gamecock View Post
This didn't age well
Have your fun for now Waterloo tiger. When are you going to get that name change?
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote