CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rt3891
carolina_corpsman
Rooster'srule
Ace Dilcock
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
The Pain Train
Flameout12
Senior Rooster
TastyLicks
Jovaughn Gwyn is str (1842)
Gamecock Jordan bran (1231)
Kawhi to Toronto for (458)
USC 2018 Rank The Ga (449)
Gamecock Football Mi (337)
What's the Ideal Tem (310)
National Hot Dog Day (265)
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - Kamren McCray
2019 - Travon Walker
USC 2018 Rank The Games Y
Kawhi to Toronto for Dero
Can Carolina and Tennesse
SEC Media Days
10 Oldest and Newest Coll
E$PN SEC preseason power

Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #61
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material
Default Re: WBB seat fee ripoff

If you lease a house or apartment, it's almost certain that at some point over the years the monthly rent will go up. I don't see how this is any different.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #62
Lancelot
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
If you lease a house or apartment, it's almost certain that at some point over the years the monthly rent will go up. I don't see how this is any different.
I'm sure if anyone here had a landlord up the rent from $1,200/mo one year to $7,200/mo the next year, they might be a bit miffed.

It's a shameless money grab that is decidedly anti-fan, but that's what college sports is these days.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #63
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

The easy solution is to stay home and buy a nicer TV.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #64
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

First, the assumption that this will ruin fan support is just wrong. There is a small fraction that this will directly effect. Let's assume half of them pay up and half either take other seats or refuse in protest. So 1/4th of an already miniscule percentage won't be paying for season tickets--the cost of their sense of entitlement for going to women's basketball games is offset by maybe two or three more people buying up their old seats.

Second, Tanner's timing sucks. It's a bit too far removed from the championship and just losing an all time great. I barely care about women's basketball, but even I know that next season is a question mark. Why do this now and not last season?

Third, I don't think it's really necessary. Does anyone really know how much this will increase funds? Honestly, it would probably have been easier and less of a thing to increase costs for each of the three big men's events by ten cents to generate the same return (I'm guessing). And as soon as you start looking at lower tier sports (and WBB is right on the fringe here and is overall not a profit generating sport the vast vast majority of programs) to generate profit instead of using them as good will and interest driving endeavors, you're overreaching. Like others have said, whenever Dawn leaves for whatever reason and if we go back to middle tier SEC caliber, the interest will dry up and those seats will be on the cheap again.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #65
Lancelot
Blue Chip

Male

Lancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
First, the assumption that this will ruin fan support is just wrong. There is a small fraction that this will directly effect. Let's assume half of them pay up and half either take other seats or refuse in protest. So 1/4th of an already miniscule percentage won't be paying for season tickets--the cost of their sense of entitlement for going to women's basketball games is offset by maybe two or three more people buying up their old seats.

Second, Tanner's timing sucks. It's a bit too far removed from the championship and just losing an all time great. I barely care about women's basketball, but even I know that next season is a question mark. Why do this now and not last season?

Third, I don't think it's really necessary. Does anyone really know how much this will increase funds? Honestly, it would probably have been easier and less of a thing to increase costs for each of the three big men's events by ten cents to generate the same return (I'm guessing). And as soon as you start looking at lower tier sports (and WBB is right on the fringe here and is overall not a profit generating sport the vast vast majority of programs) to generate profit instead of using them as good will and interest driving endeavors, you're overreaching. Like others have said, whenever Dawn leaves for whatever reason and if we go back to middle tier SEC caliber, the interest will dry up and those seats will be on the cheap again.
I haven't seen the #s, so I take the OP to be accurate. If so, I think it's not so much that prices went up, but how much they went up in just one season. I'm sure it's a calculated move, assuming that those who sit in the first 4 rows are the super-dedicated fans who will be willing to pay any amount asked of them.

500% is just a stunning increase, especially when you factor everything in: 2 years removed from the title, losing our best player ever and all but guaranteed of a "down" year next year.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #66
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 6650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
In general, I think the AD is in the process of slowly strangling the fan support at WBB in search of a few extra dollars. Pretty short-sighted in my opinion.

But I would like to know how you think the AD should handle raising ticket prices. Do you think you should should push someone else out of their seats behind you because you aren't going to pay this premium?

If they are going to raise prices then they have to come up with some mechanism. I wouldn't call it extortion.
My main objection is the way people in those now-premium seats are being treated by having to go to the back of the line. You can't just move back two rows as some of our less-bright posters have suggested.

I would favor letting displaced fans have first dibs on seat re-selection but that's not Tanner's style. He's all about catering to big donors and the average fan can suck it. Williams Brice changes made that very clear.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #67
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
I take it you are not a math major or a landlord.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #68
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I haven't seen the #s, so I take the OP to be accurate. If so, I think it's not so much that prices went up, but how much they went up in just one season. I'm sure it's a calculated move, assuming that those who sit in the first 4 rows are the super-dedicated fans who will be willing to pay any amount asked of them.

500% is just a stunning increase, especially when you factor everything in: 2 years removed from the title, losing our best player ever and all but guaranteed of a "down" year next year.

It's a bandaid thing. Phase in the increase over 5 years and hear five year's worth of complaining, or rip it off, deal with the screaming for a few months, and no one will be talking about it in 2020. Personally, I would have done this the year after the championship.

And as far as them not being first in line for ticket if they don't pay the premium, does the fact that they've sat in good seats and paid basement prices trump the guy who's donating 10k a year? Honestly, I didn't donate much to the gamecock club until they restructured seating for football because I didn't want to donate 10x and get seats in the upper deck versus the dude who's been paying for 35 years but cumulatively will not have donated as much as I would in 3 years. Was he a better fan and deserved those seats? I bet he would say yes, but at the same time, it also kept tons of money from coming into the program.

Times are different. Loyalty matters to a degree, but so does the next fans willingness to say I'll see you're loyalty and add another couple grand to the pot.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #69
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
My main objection is the way people in those now-premium seats are being treated by having to go to the back of the line. You can't just move back two rows as some of our less-bright posters have suggested.

I would favor letting displaced fans have first dibs on seat re-selection but that's not Tanner's style. He's all about catering to big donors and the average fan can suck it. Williams Brice changes made that very clear.
So you would suggest completely redoing the seating then? That's perhaps not unreasonable.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #70
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I'm sure if anyone here had a landlord up the rent from $1,200/mo one year to $7,200/mo the next year, they might be a bit miffed.

It's a shameless money grab that is decidedly anti-fan, but that's what college sports is these days.
If the neighborhood rapidly gentrified and became extremely high in demand, as well as the landlord completing major upgrades and renovations to the home, that wouldn't seem all that crazy. Would it stink for the person who lived there before? Of course, but it's business.

The market determines value. If those seats sit there and go unsold, then they are charging too much for them. But if someone ponies up for them, then that's what they're worth.

It would be irresponsible for the University not to try and maximize the value of its assets.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #71
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
If the neighborhood rapidly gentrified and became extremely high in demand, as well as the landlord completing major upgrades and renovations to the home, that wouldn't seem all that crazy. Would it stink for the person who lived there before? Of course, but it's business.

The market determines value. If those seats sit there and go unsold, then they are charging too much for them. But if someone ponies up for them, then that's what they're worth.

Courtside before:

Courtside after:

Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #72
gAmkok
MB: Regional, FB: 10-2

Male

CockyCash: 8000
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

Were it me (and obviously it isn't), I'd install a smaller license fee for the lower 12 rows around the entire lower bowl - probably tiered for court side seats but I'd limit the impact per seat. This way I get the same (or more) revenue boost but OP and most everyone else might say, "oh well, sucks to be me, but I'll pay it" instead of "WTF! Are they crazy?!" Then I might consider limiting the periodic give-aways (t-shirts, 'pearl' necklaces, player poster cards, etc) to those premium rows only.

I'm in row 17, btw, and I'd happily pay a small seat fee, but I wouldn't impose a meaningful one on rows that far up.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #73
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
So you would suggest completely redoing the seating then? That's perhaps not unreasonable.
No, I meant a one-time adjustment in selection priority for people directly impacted. I think it's a reasonable way to make it suck a little less.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:36 AM   #74
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Since sc has the biggest wcbb fan support, would it not be easier to just charge 2 more dollars per ticket a and make more money in the long haul?

Who could ever argue a $2 ticket increase? And I have to call out cockhorn..that guy would blindly support any decision made by the administration when it comes to wbb. I say who cares if you can move to a lower tier seat because that's not the point.

The point.is that the price point has been increased to a ridiculous level in one year. Who cares if it's only a small percentage of seats..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:39 AM   #75
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
Basic economics. Supply and demand. It does suck for someone that supported the team all this time, but we all say we want to be a top notch program and there are cost involved in that. We would be pissed if another school offered Dawn more money and we let her walk so I guess there are two sides to everything.
No it doesn't really suck. He just needs to stop being so damn picky about his seat. He's acting like they did it to personally sight him. It's a bunch of infantile BS. I'd like to have seats I can't afford for things too. So would a lot of people. Boo f'n hoo. lol
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #76
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:

It would be irresponsible for the University not to try and maximize the value of its assets.
Except this is not someone's home where they have to move. It's a seat or two for a wbb game where you will spend a few hrs like 15 times out of the year for recreational enjoyment and there are 18,000 + perfectly good other seats to choose from for good prices. It's a petty rant. The seats don't belong to you because you paid to sit in them for a year. Nothing was taken from you in that situation but this guy is sure acting like something was. Just no. stop.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #77
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Man, I'm taking a beating from both sides of the argument in this thread... I think I'll leave it alone from here and go lick my wounds.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #78
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 204080
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

Sit in row 5.

2.5 ft can't make that big a difference
Old 07-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #79
GarnetGhost
Dawn Fan

Male

GarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudlyGarnetGhost is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Sit in row 5.

2.5 ft can't make that big a difference
The affected seats are rows AA to 8 plus others in different sections and before anyone says just move to row 9, 10, etc. that is not possible as other fans hold those season tickets.
GarnetGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #80
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 204080
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

Please..Someone who knows the answer, tell me what the cost of season tickets in row 4 were and what they will be in the coming season and how many home games that includes. Exactly what kind of $ are we talking about?