CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
FurmanCock
Captain9Dragons
acejrock
Blitzkrieg
Coulwoodwarlord
Y Formation
gotrice?
SanAntonioCock
Legalman72
**GAME #2 USC (21-17 (2953)
2020 Commitment - Ty (517)
Best Cover Songs of (477)
Hey Y'all...Vern Tro (163)
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - Savion Jackson
***Green Green Grass Of H
*** Softball 2018 season
**GAME #2 USC (21-17) vs.
2020 Commitment - Tyshawn
Spursup Cookout Thread
The Official "#Spurs
Dakereon Joyners' speed..
**GAME #1 USC (20-17) vs.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Spur20001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPit
Default Thoughs On Men's BB At Exam Break?

I think our weakness has been defense, unforced TOs and poor FT shooting. This has not been a Frank Martin defense. I think Frank made a huge mistake by scheduling too many road games in our early season. The team had to get road weary and did not have enough quality practice time. I expect this to show much improvement as the season progresses.

I like our play on offense for the most part. We have many scoring options and several players are capable of having big scoring games. With the scoring options we have we should not force shots, just find the open man.

Kotsar has shown tremendous improvement over last season, the most improved returning player on our team. He is much more aggressive in shooting the ball and driving to the rim. He does need to really work on his FT shooting.

We are not getting anything from our two 7' guys. In year 2 KG should be helping us. So far this has not happened. I did not expect much from Cudd this season but think he has more potential than KG.

I really have been impressed by 3 of our newcomers: Minaya, Booker and Haase. Also think Beatty and Meyers will help us.

I wish Hinson was a full time BB player. I think he would be a very good BB player, I think BB might be his best sport.

Your thoughts are very welcome. Please tell us what you think.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631805329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Default Re: Thoughs On Men's BB At Exam Break?

With a lot of newcomers it will take time to gel. Also, Corey Holden needs to get back to 100%. There is talent on the team and they will improve.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

my thought is that this team is still gelling. the team just needs more time. these young guys will be much more seasoned in a year.

i fully expect a deep nit run, and a possible visit to the ncaa next year.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Overall, the team has played pretty well.
8-2 at this point...the loss to Illinois State was a bad game....the loss to Temple was a quality loss (if that is such a thing, Temple is a solid program this year and a mismatch at this point in the year).

Strengths: Post play. Silva and Kotsar have been good...pound the paint with baskets and have given us a reb edge virtually every game.

3 point shooting...been pretty good at 34 percent.

Transfers: Booker and Myers I think have played well. Booker averages about 10 points and 5 boards per game and is one of the better defenders. Myers has been servicalbe off the bench. REally need Holden to get healthy. Has the potential to be that go-to scorer we need, if he can get healthy.

Needs work
Assist-TO ratio...right now at 1-1....need to take a little better care of the basketball.

FTs: As mentioned, 65 percent is not good....would like to see it closer to the mid 70s to low 80s. Kotsar especially needs to improve from the stripe (29.2 percent currently).

Go-to guy: Who is the guy we go to when we need a basket?

Last year, it was Thornwell. It is unfair to ask someone on this team replace Sin, but who is the leader of this team?

Before the year, I would have said Felder. Now, I don't know.

Competition
It is no secret that non-con has not been the toughest road to go. We should get an idea of where this team is after the Clemson game. Tigers are playing better, but have not played a tough schedule either.

Biggest win was over Ohio State and both teams have a common loss in Temple.

Similar teams...both have solid post play (Thomas and Grantham vs Kotsar and Silva will be fun to watch) and both have pretty good guard play.
Statistically, Clemson is better...higher FG %, 3pt %, FT %, better Assist-TO ratio, and more ppg.

At this point in the year, a win over Clemson would be a big resume boost.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
GAMEKEM
Blue Chip

Male

GAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudlyGAMEKEM is crowing loudly

Definitely agree on the defense and turnovers. Kotsar really needs to step up his free throw shooting, it's kinda embarrassing that a scholarship player is doing so poorly. This team definitely has a major upside if they can get it together. The two things I want to know is who is going to lead the team and how are we going to react to losses during conference play? I think those two things will really make or break us.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
GAMEKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

My take on it so far

This team looks like a group of strong but raw talented individuals. If you look at it from
that perspective, I believe we have a team that is better than what we started the
season with last year, and as good as the team we took into the first game of the
NCAA tournament. The problem with this team however is that they haven't learned to
play "AS A TEAM" yet. They are still playing as individuals and as of yet, have not fully
gotten the grasp of Frank Martin Basketball, or even team oriented play.

The major issue I see with it right now is that every aspect of the game is "streaky".
That is going to happen with any team at any level, and at all ranges of talent. But
because they haven't learned the Team Concept yet (or more precise) The Frank Martin
concept of team play, when one aspect of the game goes cold, the entire group falls
apart for several minutes or an entire game. The biggest errors right now are in ball
control and free throw shooting. When they play focused and two/ three of the players
are hitting shots the entire team seems to feed off of that and they play faster and
more "crisp" with the ball handling and exact play running, but when they fire up
several missed shots, or miss a couple of open threes, it appears that the offense
starts to press and panic. When that happens, the defense gets lack, the ball control
falls way off and the shooting suffers due to pressure on each of the players who feel
it's on them to stop the bleeding. Within a short amount of time the team goes from
good ball handling, excellent assists, good floor awareness, to a team that looks totally
out of sync in every part of the game.
I think a huge part of that is that these "individuals" are trying to become the next
Sindarius and be the guy who takes over when the team needs a lift. Too many players
trying to be THE MAN, instead of finding the hot hand and getting the ball in their hands.

I really think that it will eventually "gel" and this will be a very consistent and very
good team. Right now it's up or down for a game, or even several minutes of a game
before restoring order. It was clear that the team wasn't working as a unit early on, but
it's also evident that there is some very good talent on this team. Inconsistent talent
but above average talent none the less. I had hoped that it would come together after
a handful of games, and that the team would be pretty well set by now, but it appears
it's talking longer for the leaders to come to the front, and the followers to get with
the program and "follow the leaders".
We've played better, and beaten much better teams that Coastal Carolina, but we've
also lost to or played poorly too many times to teams at the same level of play as
C of C. I believe that team will come together at some point soon and start playing
good, consistent Basketball. I hope that happens as or before we enter SEC play.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
TaySC
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

My biggest problem is our FT shooting percentage.

What everyone says about gelling g is true when it comes to defense, but there really is no excuse for the low FT percentage.

How can a decent FG shooter like Kotsar shoot 30% on FT's? It just me no sense.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Feathers
4-Star

Male

Feathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his combFeathers is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
My biggest problem is our FT shooting percentage.

What everyone says about gelling g is true when it comes to defense, but there really is no excuse for the low FT percentage.

How can a decent FG shooter like Kotsar shoot 30% on FT's? It just me no sense.

Kotsar has said he spent a lot of time working on his 3 point shot. Should have spent that time practicing FT's. He needs to learn FT's first. He is actually at 29%.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

I don't expect much. I see one of Frank Martin's earlier teams in this one. They will be well coached but don't have much talent that I can see. Should be a rough conference season. Hope I am proven wrong.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

If I were to give the team a grade, right now I think it would be a C, or maybe C+. The record, 8-2 is not bad. Our guards have a hard time guarding the ball. Kotsar and Silva defend well, but Haase has struggled on defense. Haase has a knack for scoring and rebounding. He probably is the top rebounder we have for minutes played. He has a lot of offensive skills. His defense will improve with time.

I hope our point guards can reach a higher level of comfort on the floor. All three of them look a bit confused right now. Maybe time and more practice will help that.

We have three bigs who can play. Last year, we had only two. Now, those two are a year older and better, and we can sub for them with Haase. I would hope Cudd and Doumbia would redshirt. Neither one has played much, and I doubt they will play more in SEC play than they have in non-conference play. I like the potential of Cudd. I have not seen enough of Doumbia to evaluate him, but I know he is athletic.
Minaya has been a pleasant surprise. Should have a great career.

Moving forward this season, our guard play must improve if we are going to have a chance to make the NCAAT.

Last edited by thumpin big; 12-11-2017 at 11:18 PM..
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
gAmkok
MB: Regional, FB: 10-2

Male

CockyCash: 8000
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

I've been watching for a leader to emerge and I'm still waiting. Silva seems to have a good connection with Booker but that hasn't spread to the rest of the team. Minaya is the future star of the team, but he's too young and inexperienced to be a vocal leader. Was kind of looking for Kotsar to step up since he seems to have the attitude but he's not quite right this year. None of the transfers appear to want the role. Whenever the team figures out who their leader and personality is, they'll gel quickly and should actually be pretty good.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #12
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
I don't expect much. I see one of Frank Martin's earlier teams in this one. They will be well coached but don't have much talent that I can see. Should be a rough conference season. Hope I am proven wrong.
I don't see the talent comparable to Frank's early teams, I do see an issue with the cohesion but only time can fix that. Hopefully Felder comes back and gives us a solid PG presence but even if he doesn't come back talent isn't the issue right now, it's just all the new faces haven't gelled yet.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #13
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I don't see the talent comparable to Frank's early teams, I do see an issue with the cohesion but only time can fix that. Hopefully Felder comes back and gives us a solid PG presence but even if he doesn't come back talent isn't the issue right now, it's just all the new faces haven't gelled yet.
I agree on the talent. Oddly enough, we were hit hard by graduation/early entry but may have more talent this year with five promising Freshmen and three experienced transfers.

The problem is PG. Gravett is not a prototype PG and needs time to develop into the role - his issues can only be cured with PT, and even then he will have some limitations. Myers and Holden are lead guards more than true points, and look to score more than assist. Then you throw in Holden's lingering knee problem and the on-ball D (where are you, Duane Notice?) and PG is our weakest position. We needed one more year, PJ!

Rah would solve a lot of that. But since he is not on the team, we need Gravett to learn quickly and Holden to get 100%.

After that? Better and deeper inside, and Minaya/Booker are doing an amazing job of filling in for Thornwell and Notice. Not as good, but the fall-off is surprisingly small and offset by the improvement inside.

And PJ had his issues at PG (shooting and some questionable decisions), so we don't need great play there, just improvement. And we will be back to where we were last year.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Is Felder back in January?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

I know pj was here for the final 4 run but to me his legacy is tarnished. We needed him one more year.

I think i speak for many when i say i have mixed feelings about him..he just doesnt have the notice/thornwell repect.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I know pj was here for the final 4 run but to me his legacy is tarnished. We needed him one more year.

I think i speak for many when i say i have mixed feelings about him..he just doesnt have the notice/thornwell repect.
PJ had greater upside than actual production. He could have been the man this year along with Silva inside, but....
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
HeadCockFan
gold jacket, green jacket

Male

CockyCash: 409892
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
We really need him.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
Dpcocks
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1500
Dpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his combDpcocks is developing his comb

I think felder will be more important for his on ball defense than his offensive production, also once Hinson comes to b-ball full time I think he is gonna get a lot of burn at the three and maybe as a small ball 4 who isnít afraid of contact. This team is more offensively talented than last year but we are atrocious at defense, hasse has been beaten back door about 10 times this year and no one can stay in front of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #19
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

We're doing about how I expected. I figured that with losing important players along with 8 new guys that hadn't played a minute of Gamecock basketball yet that it would take some time to gel and find some chemistry. I would have thought we'd have found a guy or 2 to step up and be the team's leader, but it seems that nobody is comfortable or confident enough to do so. Booker is the closest imo, but he is still learning the ins and outs of the system. All of that is why the defense isn't as good as it could be. Also haven't seen a lot of communication on the defensive end, which I think is leading to some of the breakdowns. Can't argue with those that have said we commit too many turnovers and don't shoot FTs well. Only way to improve that is to practice and then play like you practice.

Player wise, Booker is a nice surprise. Typically guys that are role players at other P5 and mid-major programs don't come in and put up the numbers that he has. I really like Minaya and Haase as freshmen. They have the potential to be really, really good by the time they're seniors. I think Beatty could wind up having a great career too, it just seems like it's taking him some time to adjust to the college game, especially defensively.

Like I said, the overall results are about what I expected. I do think that we will be playing much better in Feb and March. I'm expecting an NIT bid at the end of the year.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I thought he was done. If he comes back it will be a boost. Not sure how much.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote