CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
SanAntonioCock
kick_ball
FurmanCock
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
2000grad
rt3891
Master Bedroom
Flameout12
Duck Boats are Death (377)
Tickets Question(s) (186)
The Open
We Can Beat Them
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Football Seat Selections
SEC Media Days
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
Tickets Question(s)
Great Article on Coach Mu
why no mention of Garcia
Homemade Hot Sauce

Old 05-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #41
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread

Sitting in theater with my boys waiting for Solo to begin...anyone seen it yet?
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #42
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Preliminary reports aren't so good. Not making the money it was projected to make
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #43
Jeff45ACP
I give girls the finger

Male

CockyCash: 4082
Jeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff45ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Preliminary reports aren't so good. Not making the money it was projected to make
Our theatre was almost empty today when we saw it, but it was at noon, so maybe it'll get better. We still gotta see Deadpool, but the lady has a summer cold, so that set us back. Still, too much action still out, and bad timing with that, and avengers still takimg seats.

Having said that, even if the $ isn't there, I thought it was a fun and entertaining movie. Lots of fan service, so the writers did their homework, and good action. I mean, it's Star Wars, and it's Han Solo. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it better than Rogue One? Not in my opinion. Was it better than the prequels? Very much so.

Lastly, (no spoilers), there is a cameo near the end of the movie. It is not who you think it would be.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #44
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff45ACP View Post
Our theatre was almost empty today when we saw it, but it was at noon, so maybe it'll get better. We still gotta see Deadpool, but the lady has a summer cold, so that set us back. Still, too much action still out, and bad timing with that, and avengers still takimg seats.

Having said that, even if the $ isn't there, I thought it was a fun and entertaining movie. Lots of fan service, so the writers did their homework, and good action. I mean, it's Star Wars, and it's Han Solo. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it better than Rogue One? Not in my opinion. Was it better than the prequels? Very much so.

Lastly, (no spoilers), there is a cameo near the end of the movie. It is not who you think it would be.
The cameo threw me for a loop

Last edited by ShutTheSuccop; 05-27-2018 at 07:57 AM..
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #45
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Just finished watching it. I thought it was a good movie. Very entertaining. No problem with any of the actors.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #46
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

It kind of buttoned up Solo’s exploits pretty well. I have to wonder if they may try to squeeze another story or two out of this with all the actors being so young.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #47
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff45ACP View Post

I had to see the 9pm showing. My theatre was full. I think it will do well, but maybe be short of DP2 and IW.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #48
Mr. Belvedere
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Mr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPitMr. Belvedere rules the CockPit

I don't think people think its going to be good, but once you see it, it's actually pretty damn good. Nice pace, nothing seemed forced... I enjoyed it!

Mr. Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #49
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
I don't think people think its going to be good, but once you see it, it's actually pretty damn good. Nice pace, nothing seemed forced... I enjoyed it!
Saw it today. Same.

It has the same vibe as the original movie which started it all.

I do think the initial trailers were out of synch with the finished movie and I think that is why there were only a dozen other people besides me in the theater with me on a holiday.

I think the movie will have long legs once word spreads. It's also being released too soon after the last SW pic IMO.

I will go see it again and grab the Blu-ray, too, when it comes out.

The scenes with the mine train early on are fantastic.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #50
AR1
AWAY

Female

CockyCash: 915500
AR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot materialAR1 is USC mascot material

Music Star Childish Gambino ( Donald Glover ) stars in this Movie - Solo Star Wars
Old 05-31-2018, 04:25 AM   #51
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Fast paced and fun. It's no masterpiece but it's definitely a good movie to see. Loved the cameo.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #52
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 5465
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I was born after Empire came out. I can honestly say that this was the best Star Wars film that I’ve seen in the theater.

It has the best cast of ANY Star Wars. The plot was excellent. It was also a very joyful film which I appreciated. Mostly because I am older now and have grown tired of the teenage angst of Kylo and Ray.

Go see this movie while it is still in the theater. You will not be disappointed.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #53
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 429
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I liked Solo. solid 3 out of 5 from me.

Things I liked:
1) More Han and Lando
2) Woody Harrelson's character and the near mentor role he fills for Han
3) The Villians

Things I didn't like as much
1) The rebels - seemed unnecessary and made the story more convoluted
2) The relationship between the two main characters - those two linking back up was random and had me waiting for the reveal that something was amiss (I guess that is more my fault of expectations than the writers).
3) It was too dark in some spots and washed out in others

This movie seemed to set up one or two more Solo movies but now it seems those will not come to pass. This movie's performance also means I won't get my Obi Wan Kenobi movie anytime soon - this may be for the best. I loved Ewan McGregor's performance in the prequels and thought he did an excellent job capturing the spirit and mannerisms of Alec Guinness (Genuine Class). He added to Obi Wan an energy and intrigued that may have been overlooked due to the many problems we had with the prequels.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #54
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
I liked Solo. solid 3 out of 5 from me.

Things I liked:
1) More Han and Lando
2) Woody Harrelson's character and the near mentor role he fills for Han
3) The Villians

Things I didn't like as much
1) The rebels - seemed unnecessary and made the story more convoluted
2) The relationship between the two main characters - those two linking back up was random and had me waiting for the reveal that something was amiss (I guess that is more my fault of expectations than the writers).
3) It was too dark in some spots and washed out in others

This movie seemed to set up one or two more Solo movies but now it seems those will not come to pass. This movie's performance also means I won't get my Obi Wan Kenobi movie anytime soon - this may be for the best. I loved Ewan McGregor's performance in the prequels and thought he did an excellent job capturing the spirit and mannerisms of Alec Guinness (Genuine Class). He added to Obi Wan an energy and intrigued that may have been overlooked due to the many problems we had with the prequels.
The problem you have in the first "Things I didn't like" is the issue of time. When did the Rebels start banding together to fight the Empire. So, you have to take into consideration when the Solo movie took place in the Star Wars timeline. It would have to have happened AFTER Revenge of the Sith, which is approximately 19 years Before the Battle of Yavin (Star Wars film) but before Rogue One (which is 0 years BBY).

Maul's appearance helps, but he was killed about 2 BBY in the Star Wars: Rebels TV series.

When Chewbacca told Han he was 190 years old, that is a great clue because Chewie was 180 in the CLone Wars.

So, the Solo movie took place around 12 BBY.

Obviously, Rebels were fighting after Revenge of the Sith, but not nearly as organized as during A New Hope.

Last edited by 2000grad; 07-08-2018 at 07:55 AM..
Old 07-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #55
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

They opened the film between IW and Deadpool 2.... Disney basically cannibalized the film. It was a good film, better than the recent films minus Rogue One.

I doubt this kills Obi Wan. Disney just needs to play their cards better now that they own my entire youth. Bastards.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #56
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
They opened the film between IW and Deadpool 2.... Disney basically cannibalized the film. It was a good film, better than the recent films minus Rogue One.

I doubt this kills Obi Wan. Disney just needs to play their cards better now that they own my entire youth. Bastards.
The obi won film almost seems unnecessary. The only thing we could pick up is where he grew up
Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #57
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 429
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
The problem you have in the first "Things I didn't like" is the issue of time. When did the Rebels start banding together to fight the Empire. So, you have to take into consideration when the Solo movie took place in the Star Wars timeline. It would have to have happened AFTER Revenge of the Sith, which is approximately 19 years Before the Battle of Yavin (Star Wars film) but before Rogue One (which is 0 years BBY).

Maul's appearance helps, but he was killed about 2 BBY in the Star Wars: Rebels TV series.

When Chewbacca told Han he was 190 years old, that is a great clue because Chewie was 180 in the CLone Wars.

So, the Solo movie took place around 12 BBY.

Obviously, Rebels were fighting after Revenge of the Sith, but not nearly as organized as during A New Hope.

I am going to have to agree with you.

At the end of the day, I cannot complain- i am getting more Star Wars

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #58
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Quote:
The obi won film almost seems unnecessary. The only thing we could pick up is where he grew up
It would be between dropping Luke off on Tatooine and Episode 4. How he survived in the desert, and the various stories before being sought by Luke. It would definitely be interesting, and probably a solo film.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #59
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
It would be between dropping Luke off on Tatooine and Episode 4. How he survived in the desert, and the various stories before being sought by Luke. It would definitely be interesting, and probably a solo film.
Star wars rebels covers some of thT
Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #60
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Quote:
Star wars rebels covers some of thT
Yep, hence the Obi Wan/Maul reunion. Iím sure they could take liberties with that story.