CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
FurmanCock
Captain9Dragons
CockyLifer
Flameout12
Cockhornleghorn
GeoCocky66
rt3891
Gamecocks0197
Master Bedroom
Good interview with (1027)
E$PN SEC preseason p (734)
SEC Network takeover (559)
Can Carolina and Ten (492)
after a dog or cat d (349)
Traeger Grill - Prim (107)
Gamecock Jordan bran (49)
Can Carolina and Tennesse
Gamecock Jordan brand?
A'ja Number 1!
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Traeger Grill - Prime Day
Danny Sheridan: No way U
2019 - Kamren McCray
2019 - SF - Juwan Gary (M
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Good interview with Sterl

Old 07-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Nightime best time to catch copperheads

Spurticus, I'm sure you knew about this

https://m.chron.com/sports/outdoors/...ng-8399696.php
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Nightime best time to catch copperheads

Yep.
There's only a few species of venomous breeds of snakes in the US. All but one of them
are pit vipers. That includes the Copperhead. Other than that breed, in America, you
only have Moccasins, and Rattlesnakes as venomous breeds here (domestic anyway).
There are a lot of sub species of Rattlesnakes according to what part of the country
you're in, but the only exception to this "rule of thumb" is the Corral Snake.

One of the distinct features of all pit vipers is that they have Elliptical eyes (like a cat).
this is due to the fact that they are mainly nocturnal hunters and see exceptionally well
in the dark. That along with the heat pits between their nostrils and eyes that allow them
to see heat signatures of predators and prey in the dark.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 429
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

In central Louisiana i have walked up on a fair amount of cottonmouths and have heard rattlesnake throughout the night.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Yep.
There's only a few species of venomous breeds of snakes in the US. All but one of them
are pit vipers. That includes the Copperhead. Other than that breed, in America, you
only have Moccasins, and Rattlesnakes as venomous breeds here (domestic anyway).
There are a lot of sub species of Rattlesnakes according to what part of the country
you're in, but the only exception to this "rule of thumb" is the Corral Snake.

One of the distinct features of all pit vipers is that they have Elliptical eyes (like a cat).
this is due to the fact that they are mainly nocturnal hunters and see exceptionally well
in the dark. That along with the heat pits between their nostrils and eyes that allow them
to see heat signatures of predators and prey in the dark.
Do they hear, see or feel me racking the shell in my 12 gauge?

Or does everything just go black?
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Curious, Spurt. Is there anything I can put out in my yard to keep snakes away? The snake away stuff doesn't seem to work.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Blitzkrieg
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Blitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot material

There are rattlesnakes on Timmerman Trail in Cayce. Seen one about 4' a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

My dog got bit by one about a week ago. Right in the lips. Luckily my son noticed her lip swelling up so we got her to the vet and treated. She seems fine now.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Curious, Spurt. Is there anything I can put out in my yard to keep snakes away? The snake away stuff doesn't seem to work.
I'll be honest and say I have no idea.
There's a few concoctions out there marketed and sold at Home Depot, Lowes
and other hardware stores that say they keep snakes away, but I've spoken to
several people who say they've tried these with little or no effect. There's some
"home remedies" or suggestions by people for keeping them away, but even if
the item repels snakes itself, snakes will get to a spot they want to be at if
their is a mate or food source or security there. Especially food source. The
most popular home remedy is Moth Balls or lime. Even if the substance itself
does deter snakes, Snakes will climb over it, or find a way around it to get
to where they want to be. My personal opinion is that it doesn't have any
effect on them.
Basically, the best thing for keeping snakes out of an area, is natural predators.
Hawks, Cats, other snakes ............. There was another thread where someone
asked about this, and I suggested they go buy some King Snakes and put them
around their property. I had not priced snakes in a while, and when I looked up some
King Snake Breeders online, I was shocked to find out the price of Eastern Kings
had gone from about 15-20 bucks 4 or 5 years ago, to now selling for around
50-75 dollars for juveniles. Apparently, large land owners and farmers have found
out having Kings on their land is a good deterrent to other snakes on their land.
But the draw back is that if the food source dries up, the Kings will leave and seek
other areas where the food source is more abundant.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
There are rattlesnakes on Timmerman Trail in Cayce. Seen one about 4' a couple of weeks ago.
Rattlesnakes are very common all through the state of SC. There's three breeds of Rattlers in
SC and according to where you are located, if you spend a lot of time in the outdoors, you'll
eventually run up on one. From the midlands to the foothills, you can find Timber Rattlesnakes
and Pygmy Rattlers. From the Midlands, south to the coast, you can find Timbers and their
close "cousins" the Canebrake Rattlesnake, and down along the coast, you can find Eastern
Diamondbacks. HUGE breed of Rattlesnake there. Some of those suckers can reach up to 8+
feet long.
I was playing golf with a guy I worked with not long after I moved down here from the Upstate.
We were out at Hidden Valley between Gaston and Swansea, and I hit a tee shot in the edge of
the woods on one of the par five holes. I went over to look for it real quick and heard this high
pitched (sounded like) buzzing. I spotted the ball, but about the same time I saw the ball, about
4 feet away from it, there was a 3 foot Timber Rattlesnake curled up right at the edge of the tall
grass along the rough. ... I decided that Top Flight wasn't really a high value possession of
mine and left it to take a stroke penalty and a drop well away from the Snake.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Apparently, large land owners and farmers have found
out having Kings on their land is a good deterrent to other snakes on their land.
But the draw back is that if the food source dries up, the Kings will leave and seek
other areas where the food source is more abundant.
My grandparents had about 60 acres outside Camden on Mt. Zion Road (Cassett side of town). One day my grandmother and I were tending to the flower garden on the side of the house. We heard something in the Camellia bush, and looked up to see the head. We ran in and got my Granddaddy and Daddy.
Granddaddy got the King Snake out of the Camellia. It was a big one. Granddaddy was 6'5". This King he got out was taller than he. I can still see Granddaddy walking back to the woods by the old hog pens. He had his arm raised out, with his hand above his head. The King had his end of his tail wrapped a few times around Granddaddy's hand, and the tip of his nose was just brushing the ground as Granddaddy walked away.

I have to say...we didn't see many rattlesnakes around the place, nor did we have a rodent problem either.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Rattlesnakes are very common all through the state of SC. There's three breeds of Rattlers in
SC and according to where you are located, if you spend a lot of time in the outdoors, you'll
eventually run up on one. From the midlands to the foothills, you can find Timber Rattlesnakes
and Pygmy Rattlers. From the Midlands, south to the coast, you can find Timbers and their
close "cousins" the Canebrake Rattlesnake, and down along the coast, you can find Eastern
Diamondbacks. HUGE breed of Rattlesnake there. Some of those suckers can reach up to 8+
feet long.
I was playing golf with a guy I worked with not long after I moved down here from the Upstate.
We were out at Hidden Valley between Gaston and Swansea, and I hit a tee shot in the edge of
the woods on one of the par five holes. I went over to look for it real quick and heard this high
pitched (sounded like) buzzing. I spotted the ball, but about the same time I saw the ball, about
4 feet away from it, there was a 3 foot Timber Rattlesnake curled up right at the edge of the tall
grass along the rough. ... I decided that Top Flight wasn't really a high value possession of
mine and left it to take a stroke penalty and a drop well away from the Snake.
The other morning I was running and I saw a big black crow on the side of the trail fighting with something. As I got closer it had a snake that was bright almost neon green in its beak. The snake was no bigger around than a sharpie but man it must have been 4 feet long. I had never seen a crow attack a snake like that before.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

I watch a huge black racer speed through the front yard of a house I was renting. It looked like a cobra speeding into the woods, moving with its head elevated. Freaky.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
My grandparents had about 60 acres outside Camden on Mt. Zion Road (Cassett side of town). One day my grandmother and I were tending to the flower garden on the side of the house. We heard something in the Camellia bush, and looked up to see the head. We ran in and got my Granddaddy and Daddy.
Granddaddy got the King Snake out of the Camellia. It was a big one. Granddaddy was 6'5". This King he got out was taller than he. I can still see Granddaddy walking back to the woods by the old hog pens. He had his arm raised out, with his hand above his head. The King had his end of his tail wrapped a few times around Granddaddy's hand, and the tip of his nose was just brushing the ground as Granddaddy walked away.

I have to say...we didn't see many rattlesnakes around the place, nor did we have a rodent problem either.
The man I got my interest in Snakes from (My Uncle) close to 100 acres of land between
Simpsonville and Fountain Inn. The house he lived in was built by his dad and uncle, and
when he inherited it, he updated it some but still had no indoor plumbing. they had an old
hand operated well in the front yard. I used to love going out there and spending the
weekend with my cousins. It was like an adventure to me.
We were in his backyard one day playing horseshoes. I was around 6-7 at the time and
had no idea how to play, but loved throwing horseshoes regardless. I threw one and it it on
the edge and rolled a good 20-30 feet behind the post and up close to one of his outdoor
sheds. When I went over to pick it up, I walked up on (what looked like at that time) a
MONSTER black snake. First snake I'd ever saw in real life. I FREAKED ! I ran back towards
my uncle squealing like a girl and told him there was a snake down there next to the
horseshoe. He walked over and laughed and picked it up. He looked over at me with the
extremely calm look about him and told me. "If you ever own any land like this, YOU DON'T
KILL SNAKES... ESPECIALLY THESE RIGHT HERE" he tossed it into his shed and walked back
over to the game. I asked him later why he threw the snake in the shed, and he told me
that snakes wont bother you if you don't annoy or try to hurt them. He said that Rats and
Mice was what you had to worry about more than anything, and snakes will eat hundreds fo
mice and rats a year. He said the more snakes you have around your property, the less
rats you'll have.
He'd take me and my cousin round the woods and let us shoot BB and Pellet guns and as
we got older, he let is shoot .22s and 410 shotguns and hunt small game. Over the years
we ran up on a lot of snakes out shooting and fishing. He told me which snakes were
harmless, and occasionally we'd see Copperheads and he'd tell me "Leave those snakes
alone" ! Always said, "No need to kill em, but you don't want to mess with those there"

Not long after he died, I was talking to my Aunt about him. I was in my mid 20s and I told
her about him talking to me about snakes. She told me that he and a neighbor of theirs
almost got into a fist fight one time, because their neighbor killed a King snake on my
uncle's land near his house. He was come over to visit, and walked up on it, and killed it
with a stick he found near it. My aunt said my uncle got mad at him and told him he was
not ever to kill another snake on his property. They had words back and forth with each
other and were up in each others faces at one point and both of them shoved at each other
before finally backing off, and their neighbor leaving. My aunt said they were close to
swinging and she was trying to tell them both to stop it and calm down.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
The other morning I was running and I saw a big black crow on the side of the trail fighting with something. As I got closer it had a snake that was bright almost neon green in its beak. The snake was no bigger around than a sharpie but man it must have been 4 feet long. I had never seen a crow attack a snake like that before.
Sounds like a common green snake. I used to find those things all over the place up in
Simpsonvlle. My best friend and I would catch those, black snakes, garter snakes .... and we
had a guy in the neighborhood that bought them from us for $5 bucks apiece. I was common
for us to have about 20-25 dollars each a week during the spring and summer. We found out
later that he was taking them to the Anderson Jockey lot and selling them for $20 each.
I had not seen one for several years before I moved down here, and had not seen one around
here until about 3 years ago. I saw one crawling across a dirt road I was on, and stopped to
grab it snap a few pictures of it. First Greensnake I'd seen in almost 30 years.

I've never seen it myself, but most people who go out hunting for snake, will tell you if you see
a small group of birds flying around one particular area and flying from a tree limb to the
ground in small groups and generally "raising hell", that was an indication they were attacking
a snake that was near a nest.
I have taken my snakes out to let them crawl around the yard for a while, and I've actually
had a single mockingbird or robin fly up to them or over them like they were attacking it.
That usually happens in the late spring when they are building nests or have a mate sitting on
some eggs in a nest already. I've seen hawks fly down and grab snakes from the ground, but
never saw a crow do that.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I watch a huge black racer speed through the front yard of a house I was renting. It looked like a cobra speeding into the woods, moving with its head elevated. Freaky.
Cool as hell to see that ain't it ?
Most snakes will sit up like that at times, but when they are crawling, or need
to get away fast, they drop their heads to the ground and crawl. Black racers
will crawl away with their heads still up and move faster than most snakes do
from a flat crawling position. If you're ever down around Edisto, and want to
see how snakes catch and eat live prey, go to the Serpentarium down there on
Saturdays, and be there around 1:PM. They feed the snakes then and will
throw live mice in the exhibit areas. Black Racers are not like the other
non Venomous snakes there. All of those are constrictors, and will grab the
mice and curl on or two loops around it and squeeze until it's dead, then
swallow it. Black Racers will grab the mice in one quick strike and shake it
violently until it has either broken it's neck or just beat it to death on the
ground. Then swallow it. Once it's dead, they'll crawl off with it to a
secured area, with their heads up and mice in mouth and then swallow it.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #16
Tatermashers
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Tatermashers has hatched from the shell

Spurticus you shouldn't have taken a one stroke penalty. I think you qualified for an unplayable lie.
Tatermashers is offline   Reply With Quote