CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
Cockfather
kingofnerf
Legalman72
Blitzkrieg
Cockhornleghorn
Copperhead
TucockShakur
Georgia coach Kirby (819)
Bye Week Visits / HS (662)
2018 WBB - Victaria (320)
***2017 World Series (187)
This Song is Pure Ro (174)
Waiver being sought for T
2018 WBB - Victaria Saxto
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Bye Week Visits / HS game
2018 - Channing Tindall
2018 MBB - Jericole Helle
POSSIBLY The Greatest Coa
Deebo's return?
LA Clippers: Sin in the L
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti

Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #301
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1024
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESPN) recruit rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
I've resigned myself to the belief that the most likely scenario is that Carolina strikes out on all three remaining prospects.
Unfortunately, Iím feeling the same way.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #302
Phillygamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Phillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
I've resigned myself to the belief that the most likely scenario is that Carolina strikes out on all three remaining prospects.
I think we have a good chance with Nelson-Ododa. The other two are long shots. But it blows my mind how hard it is for us to get top players (think top 20 prospects). Yes I know we've had some transfers who were highly ranked but it's just not the same. How can anyone not see what Staley has done with less talented/ranked players and not want to play here? I agree with the person who said that we will still be a top program because Staley is that good of a coach but it will take players like Wilson, Coates, Gray, Davis (i.e. All-American type) to continue to win championships.

Of course this could change and we land all three!
Phillygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #303
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillygamecock View Post
I think we have a good chance with Nelson-Ododa. The other two are long shots. But it blows my mind how hard it is for us to get top players (think top 20 prospects). Yes I know we've had some transfers who were highly ranked but it's just not the same. How can anyone not see what Staley has done with less talented/ranked players and not want to play here? I agree with the person who said that we will still be a top program because Staley is that good of a coach but it will take players like Wilson, Coates, Gray, Davis (i.e. All-American type) to continue to win championships.

Of course this could change and we land all three!
Yeah, it's really confusing to me as well. Who wouldn't want to play for a 3-time Olympian/All-WNBA Head Coach and current National Team Head Coach in front of crowds of 12,000+ every game... Dawn is a proven commodity. I have faith that SC's day will come.

For what it's worth, Nelson-Ododa and Williams will both be visiting UConn this weekend.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #304
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

UPDATE: ESPN #5 overall, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, will be visiting UConn this coming weekend with #1 overall, Christyn Williams.

Williams is on her 5th and final official visit (also considering SC, Texas, UCLA and Tennessee) while Nelson-Ododa is on her 3rd official visit. Nelson-Ododa took her first official visit to South Carolina and visited Florida State last weekend. Outside of her 3 "finalists" of SC, FSU, and UConn she's also considering Duke, Stanford and her home state school, UGA. Two of those three will get the final 2 official visits.

Williams will narrow down to final 2 about a week after her visit this weekend.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #305
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 650575501
Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
UPDATE: ESPN #5 overall, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, will be visiting UConn this coming weekend with #1 overall, Christyn Williams.

Williams is on her 5th and final official visit (also considering SC, Texas, UCLA and Tennessee) while Nelson-Ododa is on her 3rd official visit. Nelson-Ododa took her first official visit to South Carolina and visited Florida State last weekend. Outside of her 3 "finalists" of SC, FSU, and UConn she's also considering Duke, Stanford and her home state school, UGA. Two of those three will get the final 2 official visits.

Williams will narrow down to final 2 about a week after her visit this weekend.
Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #306
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Quote:
This year Baylor will have 6'7 Kalani Brown and 6'4 Lauren Cox down low. They also have Dekeiya Cohen (who's from South Carolina) but isn't really a dangerous low post player.

Next year they get better down low.. they'll have Brown, Cox and they'll add NaLyssa Smith and likely Aquira DeCosta and maybe Queen Egbo (if she doesn't decide to go to Florida State).

Now a loaded team would be Texas.. they are absolutely fully stocked at PF/C for the next three years or so. But I wouldn't be surprised if they nabbed a few more in 2019 and 2020.

This year Texas will have the Caron-Goudreau twins, both are 6'4.. 6'3 Olamide Aborowa, 6'3 Rellah Boothe, 6'4 Jatarie White, and 6'4 Joyner Holmes.

But NEXT (2018-2019) year, they become a team of post players..

6'4 Jatarie White
6'4 Joyner Holmes
6'3 Rellah Booth
6'4 Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
6'3 Olamide Aborowa
6'5 Charli Collier
6'7 Sedona Prince

That's 7 players 6'3 or taller... I'm not even sure why a 2019 post player would even look at Texas, but they will.
Forgot all about Beactrice Mompremier transferring from Baylor to Miami. I don't know what Texas will do with all of that post depth. They're taking a page from Dawn's 2013-2015 teams with multiple post players.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #307
Phillygamecock
4-Star

Male

Phillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Forgot all about Beactrice Mompremier transferring from Baylor to Miami. I don't know what Texas will do with all of that post depth. They're taking a page from Dawn's 2013-2015 teams with multiple post players.
I kinda feel bad for Jatarie. She left South Carolina because she didn't want to play behind A'ja. Now she has all this competition at Texas. Of course, she will be an upperclassmen while a lot of those other posts will be younger.
Phillygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #308
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillygamecock View Post
I kinda feel bad for Jatarie. She left South Carolina because she didn't want to play behind A'ja. Now she has all this competition at Texas. Of course, she will be an upperclassmen while a lot of those other posts will be younger.
I know what you mean. Wonder if she wishes she was still here.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #309
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
This year Baylor will have 6'7 Kalani Brown and 6'4 Lauren Cox down low. They also have Dekeiya Cohen (who's from South Carolina) but isn't really a dangerous low post player.

Next year they get better down low.. they'll have Brown, Cox and they'll add NaLyssa Smith and likely Aquira DeCosta and maybe Queen Egbo (if she doesn't decide to go to Florida State).

Now a loaded team would be Texas.. they are absolutely fully stocked at PF/C for the next three years or so. But I wouldn't be surprised if they nabbed a few more in 2019 and 2020.

This year Texas will have the Caron-Goudreau twins, both are 6'4.. 6'3 Olamide Aborowa, 6'3 Rellah Boothe, 6'4 Jatarie White, and 6'4 Joyner Holmes.

But NEXT (2018-2019) year, they become a team of post players..

6'4 Jatarie White
6'4 Joyner Holmes
6'3 Rellah Booth
6'4 Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
6'3 Olamide Aborowa
6'5 Charli Collier
6'7 Sedona Prince

That's 7 players 6'3 or taller... I'm not even sure why a 2019 post player would even look at Texas, but they will.
At least one of those players is going to transfer here. They aren't going to get playing time.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #310
Nuyoika
4-Star

Male

Nuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his combNuyoika is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Everything Texas does is to overcome Baylor. Baylor has been the overload of the B12 for so long without much pressure from anyone else. There was a time when TAMU was still in the B12 that they gave them some push back and OK St. & Oklahoma were good in spurts.

As of late it's really only been Texas that has really had any sort of a true shot at possibly being the B12 champ. Other than that it's been Baylor all the way. Texas is trying to do in the B12 what South Carolina did in the SEC to Tennessee. Granted Texas did have a natty way way way back in the day but Aston has pulled them up out of the gutter.
Nuyoika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #311
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

UPDATE:

As many of you know by now.. both #4 Aquira DeCosta and #18 Honesty Scott-Grayson committed to Baylor tonight. Good luck to both players.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #312
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1024
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Disappointing, but it was kind of a long shot to get a young lady from California to come all the way across the country to play for four years at USC. And yet despite that, we still finished Top 2. Not bad, especially since USC was off her list at one time.

Hereís hoping Christyn Williams is willing to travel as far away from her home to attend school as Aquira did from hers. If so, I have hope for USCís chances. 🤞🏼
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #313
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Guess we're all in on ONO and Williams.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #314
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

UPDATE: two players to keep your eyes on for the Gamecocks, besides Williams and Nelson-Ododa, are Victaria Saxton and Valencia Myers.

Anybody with information on the two of them. Finalists? Top 5, recruiting visits, OVs, etc..

Victaria Saxton is a 6'2" F/C from Rome Georgia.. she's ranked #31 by ProspectsNation and #50 by ESPN. She's most known for being freakishly athletic and an impressive rebounder. She can essentially jump out of the gym. A smaller post but very quick and athletic. I've heard whispers of her being connected to SC and with her being from Georgia I wouldn't be surprised by this.

Valencia Myers is a 6'3" Center from Solon, Ohio. She's ranked #40 by ESPN and #15 by ProspectsNation. She's most known for her low post presence and defensive abilities down low. Very reminiscent of an Alaina Coates. I haven't heard of any official connections to South Carolina with Myers, but she is from the Midwest (an area we are very active in) and she is the epitome of what Dawn looks for in her low block players.