CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Order 66
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
kick_ball
kingofnerf
Regalcock
Flameout12
carolina_corpsman
Spurticus
Bye week VENT THREAD (958)
Can the Browns be sa (695)
Official 10/21 games (695)
What A Sight (695)
Alshon, Clowney & (484)
NFL: PANTHERS @ BEA (105)
NFL: BENGALS @ STEEL (105)
NFL: REDSKINS @ EAGL (82)
NFL: FALCONS @ PATR (82)
NFL: BRONCOS @ CHARG (82)
What A Sight
Bye week VENT THREAD
College Football 2017
2018 WBB - Christyn Willi
Clemson Fight Club
2017/18 MBB Schedule
2017 Roster
Name a Gamecock
POSSIBLY The Greatest Coa
Georgia State University

Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #21
YankeeGamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 600
YankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Amazon Prime Sous Vide $129.99

https://i.imgur.com/QKXrPx4.jpg
YankeeGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #22
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

I have a foodsaver that I got years ago. It is totally worth the investment. I buy in bulk and pre-package meals, then toss 'em in the sous vide when I want to eat them.

With corn, the bag will fill puff up like a balloon and float. I put a glass bowl full of water on it and the water circulates with the rest of the water. Corn is delicious sous vide.

I too struggle with the right vessel. I've used the insert for a large croc-pot, the smaller and larger metal pot than came with outdoor fryer, my grandmother's roasting pan(too bad I have to give that back), and a large grey bus-tub that came in a 2-pack from Sam's Club or Costco(can't remember). I like the metal pot from the outdoor fryer because I can put it on the stove and use the burner to get it up to higher temps faster. I use it the most. For large meals, I use the bus-tub, but it's rare that I need that much space. I'm usually only cooking for 2-4 people.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #23
YankeeGamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 600
YankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

25# pig ready for next week. Going to follow this guide here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gljGbQeZbwY
YankeeGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #24
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I took a cheap top sirloin fillet and put it in the sous vide for 2 hours at 132. It was almost as tender as a mignon. I also SV'd some corn at 185 for 30 minutes. On stovetop I made a mushroom/onion/ melange as a steak topping. Publix' produce department made some cooking bags filled with green beans, garlic, dried tomatoes, and almonds. I nuked that. Garlic buttered rye toast. Had more key lime cheesecake pie for dessert.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Last edited by The Yancey; 07-30-2017 at 04:08 PM..
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #25
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Sous vide corn is soo yummy.
Still can't see tyhe pic Yancey, but sounds deliciius.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #26
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Sous vide corn is soo yummy.
Still can't see tyhe pic Yancey, but sounds deliciius.
Don't know why it isn't showing up. It is on FB. Can you see it now?

I did the searing of that with the Searzall. I need to fiddle with the settings as it did not do a great job. Temp was too low. You can see (hopefully) in the pic that it cooked a bit of the steak.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #27
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Sorry buddy, still can't see it. I usually just upload mine to my Amazon prime photos, and then copy the link from that. Not sure if that helps or not. Still sounds like a delicious meal.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #28
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Picked up a Greek seasoned pork loin from the grocery a couple of weeks back. I cooked it in its own bag but to be on the safe side since it looked to have glued edges I put the bag into a larger one. I dropped it into the sous vide at 150. Because it came directly from my 20F below chest freezer I added an additional hour to the time. A total of 4 hours. Actually the bag's seams held up. It then went directly into the ice bath for 30 minutes. After that I cubed half of it and it it on skewers with onions. That went into the Bradley for a total of 60 minutes at 220F. I used 20 minutes each of a pepper, rosemary, and thyme seasoning puck, oak, and pecan. Was remarkably tender and juicy!

I served it with a Greek salad, broccoli rabe, rice, some leftover beets, pickled onions, hummus and pita. Also had some tzatziki. It was all well received.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 08-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #29
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamecock View Post
Where'd you get the pig, if you don't mind my asking? I live in Lexington and just saw that you are in Columbia.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #30
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Wife bought two of those new-wave pro induction induction stove tops for $99 a piece where you set the temp . I'd bet they cook Sous Vide pretty good too .

Another thing I'd like to try is packaging beef in food saver plastic seal then blowing it up in a barrell of water with a cherry bomb . I've heard the explosion wave tears down all the micro fibre in the meat making the toughest cuts of meat tender not to mention you get to make it go boom .. Anyone heard of this ?
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #31
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
Wife bought two of those new-wave pro induction induction stove tops for $99 a piece where you set the temp . I'd bet they cook Sous Vide pretty good too .

Another thing I'd like to try is packaging beef in food saver plastic seal then blowing it up in a barrell of water with a cherry bomb . I've heard the explosion wave tears down all the micro fibre in the meat making the toughest cuts of meat tender not to mention you get to make it go boom .. Anyone heard of this ?
There have been mixed results with induction units. The water circulating units seem to give the best results.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 08-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #32
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
There have been mixed results with induction units. The water circulating units seem to give the best results.
Thanx Yancey
Check this out, AWESOME , I could picture you doing some deer meat or other tough cuts of beef .. Looked over some articles and some claim 30-80% more tender and the tougher the cut the better it works . What a cook out !!!

https://youtu.be/xAWY5ryjd0w
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #33
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
Thanx Yancey
Check this out, AWESOME , I could picture you doing some deer meat or other tough cuts of beef .. Looked over some articles and some claim 30-80% more tender and the tougher the cut the better it works . What a cook out !!!

https://youtu.be/xAWY5ryjd0w
Works quickly, I'll give it that.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #34
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

A guy in one of my SV groups posted a pic of his corn 5 ways.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 08-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #35
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
ut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/review...control-freak/
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #36
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
Wow they are really ignorant about the basics. Sous vide is French for "under vacuum." It has nothing to do with cooking temps although that is most frequently used with it. Fruit compotes, watermelon steaks, and many other things are done sous vide with no heat whatsoever. Nor is abag necessary if you have a chamber type sous vide, although they are expensive and found most often in restaurants.

You will also just be cooking one side in that thing. How would you possibly do a rack of ribs or a pork butt on that thing? I'm talking about cooks that run from 62-74 hours. There is no way. It does not get hot enough for a decent post SV sear either. My take is that it may be a fine precision temp additional oven eye and have some unique applications but but is nothing like a steam based or circulating water sous vide machine.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #37
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Picked up a couple of smoked gouda and onion burgers. Lightly seasoned with Montreal. 135 for 90 minutes. Browned in hot ghee. Worcestershire and red wine added to the drippings along with the saved purge. Reduced volume. Burgers added back and cheese added. Absolutely excellent.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #38
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamecock View Post
I must know more about this pig...
Old 08-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #39
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

So I traded my anova in for a Joule. So far the results are good. Its much smaller which I love, but heats up more quickly despite its size. I don't like that it has no on-board controls. It has to be controlled through the app, but it seems to work fine.

Now, can somebody get me some details on that yankee pig?