CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kick_ball
rt3891
Blitzkrieg
catdaddy66
Y Formation
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
Three and Out
Order 66
ccured
**GAME #3 USC (22-17 (5104)
Gamecocks win Palmet (657)
**GAME #3 USC (22-17) vs.
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Dawn gets a longevity bon
Gamecocks win Palmetto Se
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
2018 - Nick Harvey
*** Softball 2018 season
Dakereon Joyners' speed..
"What is a loaf?&quo
Spursup Cookout Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #181
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material
Default Re: Martin on the fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Maybe Dawn just did a better job of gaining fan support, making the fans feel like part of the team.

I saw Martin tweet back at a fan about not needed them, it made me cringe. I don't think a coach needs to be on twitter battling with fans.
No, the fans just know which team is a contender and which team isn't. It's pretty much that simple.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #182
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
whats claw?
It's the acronym only he uses for the Colonial Life Arena. I cringe when i see it. So odd

Il say this. Dawn had fans there before she was good. I believe she had more of the true fans showing up. Tickets were cheap so she drew fans that wanted to be there and could maybe only afford those tickets, while martin coached the higher profile team where fans buys season tickets as a status symbol. Many fans never show up for a game, but they keep their great seats every year.
#Hottake
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #183
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

CockyCash: 5500
TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJGarnet View Post
So everybody else should. Got it. And, it is EXACTLY the point. Don't excoriate others if you can't or won't meet the standard you expect of everyone else.
You're making a strawman argument. I never said that every one has to go to every single game. I said that more people should support the team after they achieved a huge level success. I went to a lot of games as a student (OOC and SEC) and I've spent a ton of money on tickets since graduating three years ago.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #184
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

CockyCash: 5500
TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
I still don't get your point, what exactly have the men's basketball team proved? Last year was only our second appearance in the NCAAT since the turn of the century. At least the football team has been more consistent in bowl appearances and winning records in the same time frame. A single final four run doesn't change how your average fan views basketball at South Carolina. Especially when the 3 of the 4 key players of that team leave at the end of the season. Sustained success builds a fan base more than an unlikely run for a team that practically everyone had already gave up on by the SEC tournament. Don't get me wrong I really love Gamecock basketball, unlike most in the SC it's my favorite sport, but it still doesn't change the fact that overall it's been pretty mediocre as well. Especially in a state where you're basically predetermined to like football, you have to have at the very least some consecutive winning seasons and main tournament appearances to garner the interest you're asking for at this time of year. Frank Martin has done a great job of getting the ball rolling but he still needs a couple more good-great seasons to do it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Frank Martin has proven the peak of what his coaching and recruiting can do. That's not something that should be swept under the rug.

Again, I understand why it is but we shouldn't sit here and pretend that the reason is purely because the team needs to "show more." The reason is because this is the South and a ton of the schools social traditions are built around football. It has very little to do with USC having some winning tradition historically.

I wish that trend would break and you can tell Frank does too.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #185
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631805329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
It's the acronym only he uses for the Colonial Life Arena. I cringe when i see it. So odd

Il say this. Dawn had fans there before she was good. I believe she had more of the true fans showing up. Tickets were cheap so she drew fans that wanted to be there and could maybe only afford those tickets, while martin coached the higher profile team where fans buys season tickets as a status symbol. Many fans never show up for a game, but they keep their great seats every year.
#Hottake
Roosters have claws. Period. CLA is too white bread.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #186
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

I think high fan attendance can be a double-edged sword with Frank's squads, though.

People cheer and applaud made baskets, not lock-down defense unless there's a rejection or a steal.

If you have a player that feeds off the energy of the fans when they make shots, then he might be more prone to playing soft defense to conserve his strength for making shots.

A boss will sometimes ask you to do something and you know all or part of it won't work, but they will never see that if you refuse to do what is asked of you.

In the past, Frank has said there is a give-and-take if the players make an effort to play his style of defense.

I think Frank realizes there is a balance between offense and defense, but the kids are totally abandoning defense so far in games no matter what they do in practice and he rightfully doesn't trust them in that area.

I get what Frank is saying, but I think better home attendance might work against us right now until he gets the kids to player better defense on game day.

JMO.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #187
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631805329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
I think high fan attendance can be a double-edged sword with Frank's squads, though.

People cheer and applaud made baskets, not lock-down defense unless there's a rejection or a steal.

If you have a player that feeds off the energy of the fans when they make shots, then he might be more prone to playing soft defense to conserve his strength for making shots.

A boss will sometimes ask you to do something and you know all or part of it won't work, but they will never see that if you refuse to do what is asked of you.

In the past, Frank has said there is a give-and-take if the players make an effort to play his style of defense.

I think Frank realizes there is a balance between offense and defense, but the kids are totally abandoning defense so far in games no matter what they do in practice and he rightfully doesn't trust them in that area.

I get what Frank is saying, but I think better home attendance might work against us right now until he gets the kids to player better defense on game day.

JMO.
I have to say I disagree with that assumption. Fans cheer for defense and bigger crowds only increase excitement to play.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #188
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 548366433533
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post

JMO.
That's a strange way to look at things. Defense thrives on fan intensity.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote