CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
kick_ball
MountainCock
ucan'tlickourcocks
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
Ace Dilcock
TastyLicks
2k15
24 in the CFP rankin (2595)
Sumlin Out at A& (1416)
My take (890)
Can we run the ball? (766)
MLB Hammers the Atla (539)
The Best Christmas M (423)
Patrick Davis-big ol (409)
Congratulations (248)
David Cassidy Dies (190)
PODCAST: Clemson Wee (94)
Sumlin Out at A&M
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Congratulations
Can we run the ball?
24 in the CFP rankings
MLB Hammers the Atlanta B
Can somebody design me a
New Smart TV
My take
Coaching carousel: 2017-1


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #61
USCharleston2
Veteran
 
USCharleston2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charleston
Posts: 647
CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

We lost so much momentum when we played all the freshman at the same time in the first and second half. It was okay vs Alabama State, but against a good opponent it could be devastating, and almost was. That's the reason A'ja and the starters was so tired in the second half. After putting all the freshman in (with a 26pt lead), MD took momentum and we were never really able to get it back. Luckily, our vets scored enough to hold them off in the end.

Our defense needs a lot of work. I wish Bianca was playing so she could've locked down their SG in the second half. We had no answer for her. Does anyone know when Bianca will be back?
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #62
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take
 
ConwayGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 15,184
CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
Jackson looks very comfortable on the floor. She is going to be a really good wing at South Carolina. Long term, Grissett is a power forward for us but she still has a waaaaays to go. She battles on the backboard though, which is good to see. Williams needs to work on her game some more but I think she needs to find a role on this team and I think it’s that stretch 4 role... if her and Grissett are both playing, Grissett looks much more comfortable down low..
That was another thing: Herbert-Harrigan let her emotions get the best of her, and was called for a technical for taunting at MD after a shot block that she administered. Maryland was a little physical last night, especially against Wilson, but also others, slapping and hitting arms as the Gamecocks were going for layups and clawing at balls immediately after we got rebounds. IMO I think it got to Mikia and she tried to give back a little, and it cost her with getting into foul trouble. She fouled out with only 13 minutes of play.

This is how games are played in the SEC, so we can't let that stuff get to us. But the problem was, Mikia only played 13 minutes, and Williams played none. Grissett got onto the floor, but looked a bit overwhelmed, had the ball then lost it on the floor between her legs, picked it up and dribbled again and turned the ball over on double-dribbling. Then that was pretty much it for her in the game, and she only played 3 minutes.

That left Wilson and Jennings playing all game long. They were our two best players in terms of effort on both ends of the floor: in driving for points and pulling down offensive boards, and in defending, blocking out the paint, and going for defensive boards at the other end.

I could see both of them getting worn down at the end. USC shot it's poorest in the 4th Qtr., shooting 4-15. We shot 19 of our 33 FTs in the 4th Qtr. Even A'ja who was pretty perfect at the line had some misses at the stripe in the 4th, because she was so tired and beat up.

My point is, we need Mikia to be smarter than that, and stay on the floor in games and help (not just because she's depth in the paint but because she's also a very talented player), and we need Williams and Grissett to progress to where they can give meaningful minutes on the floor, and let A'ja and Alexis get some rest during games. Especially A'ja, because you just know opponents are going to come at her in droves all season long.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #63
Gamecockman12
Two Deep
 
Gamecockman12's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,201
CockyCash: 7200
Gamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Disappointing ending to an otherwise great game. All that matters is the W though, but I would have liked to see us finish strongly.
__________________
Gamecockman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #64
TaySC
Game MVP
 
TaySC's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 1,571
CockyCash: 5666
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

A'ja Wilson is your SEC Player of the Week.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #65
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American
 
Ace Dilcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mt. Pleasant
Posts: 9,118
CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

The team forgot the first rule of CockyTalk - stay focus.

Conway nailed it - we need more out of Keke and Lele, especially KeKe.

Daz is still finding herself - I don't think she contributes until she figures out how tall she really is.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #66
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass
 
Copperhead's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Saltwaterinmyveins, S.C.
Posts: 1,599
CockyCash: 204080
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Watched game this evening. Damn. Dawn almost lost that one for us! How in the hell do you just sit there for that long, with ALL your timeouts left, and watch 16 of a 26 point lead evaporate before doing anything. Clock management was absolute crap. Letting outside shots fly with 15-20 + seconds left on the shot clock when we are ice cold. That was just poor ass coaching imo. C'mon Dawn! You're better than that!
Go Cocks!!
__________________
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #67
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American
 
Ace Dilcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mt. Pleasant
Posts: 9,118
CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
I remember Dawn saying back in the summer that this is probably her best passing team and I really see that. The starters share the ball very well. While this team isnít as talented as last yearís the offense flows better it seems.. and I think thatís because everybody knows their role. Last year, we had so much talent in our starting 5 that we didnít really know how to mesh it all... but after watching two games of this yearís team I think we can clearly see the defined roles. Aíja is option #1. Spann is option #2. Jennings cleans it all up. Harris sets up the play and keeps the defense honest. Cliney is our dog on defense. When people know their roles then it just flows.

We also show versatility on offense... Iíve been impressed to see Cliney run plays, Aíja occasionally slides to the 3 in our weave action, Jennings stretches the floor (she had a nice jumper from near the arc last night), Harris and Spann occasionally swap back and forth between point guard and shooting guard seamlessly, etc.. Iíve just really been impressed with the cohesiveness of our starters. We almost never look this together on offense this early in the season and weíre still without two MAJOR options on offense in Cuevas and Cooper. I have nothing but confidence that Dawn will get the defense together.

Jackson looks very comfortable on the floor. She is going to be a really good wing at South Carolina. Long term, Grissett is a power forward for us but she still has a waaaaays to go. She battles on the backboard though, which is good to see. Williams needs to work on her game some more but I think she needs to find a role on this team and I think itís that stretch 4 role... if her and Grissett are both playing, Grissett looks much more comfortable down low..
When we get Cuevas and Cooper, we will run more three Guard sets. Cuevas/Spann/Harris starting with Cooper/Jackson/Cliney in reserve. Inside will be A'ja and Jennings with Keke as our first sub, with Jennings moving over to Center when A'ja is out. Then we will work Lele and Daz into more minutes over the course of the season.

Keke is very important until Lele and Daz get it together - she will need to play 25-30 minutes per game, same with A'ja and Jennings. We need to keep them all fresh for the 4th Quarter.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #68
USCharleston2
Veteran
 
USCharleston2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charleston
Posts: 647
CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Watched game this evening. Damn. Dawn almost lost that one for us! How in the hell do you just sit there for that long, with ALL your timeouts left, and watch 16 of a 26 point lead evaporate before doing anything. Clock management was absolute crap. Letting outside shots fly with 15-20 + seconds left on the shot clock when we are ice cold. That was just poor ass coaching imo. C'mon Dawn! You're better than that!
Go Cocks!!
Taking Ty, Alexis and A'ja out at the same time and replacing them with KiKi and the freshman was not a good idea in a game of this caliber. The freshman are not ready and we lost all that momentum. Hopefully, we'll see them slowly integrating in with the vets still on the court giving them guidance. We should be fine giving the frosh a lot of PT against Clemson tomorrow night.
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #69
VBCock
4-Star
 
VBCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston
Posts: 321
CockyCash: 500
VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
I remember Dawn saying back in the summer that this is probably her best passing team and I really see that. The starters share the ball very well. While this team isnít as talented as last yearís the offense flows better it seems.. and I think thatís because everybody knows their role. Last year, we had so much talent in our starting 5 that we didnít really know how to mesh it all... but after watching two games of this yearís team I think we can clearly see the defined roles. Aíja is option #1. Spann is option #2. Jennings cleans it all up. Harris sets up the play and keeps the defense honest. Cliney is our dog on defense. When people know their roles then it just flows.

We also show versatility on offense... Iíve been impressed to see Cliney run plays, Aíja occasionally slides to the 3 in our weave action, Jennings stretches the floor (she had a nice jumper from near the arc last night), Harris and Spann occasionally swap back and forth between point guard and shooting guard seamlessly, etc.. Iíve just really been impressed with the cohesiveness of our starters. We almost never look this together on offense this early in the season and weíre still without two MAJOR options on offense in Cuevas and Cooper. I have nothing but confidence that Dawn will get the defense together.

Jackson looks very comfortable on the floor. She is going to be a really good wing at South Carolina. Long term, Grissett is a power forward for us but she still has a waaaaays to go. She battles on the backboard though, which is good to see. Williams needs to work on her game some more but I think she needs to find a role on this team and I think itís that stretch 4 role... if her and Grissett are both playing, Grissett looks much more comfortable down low..
I think this is Dawn's best offensive team period. My guess is that it is her best passing and best shooting team overall. I don't remember one that played as fast against a ranked opponent as they did against Maryland. Different world without Coates maybe?

Also, very few ball stops. A lot of players who will shoot it, but not many who need to take a lot of bounces and moves to think about it.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #70
VBCock
4-Star
 
VBCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston
Posts: 321
CockyCash: 500
VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCharleston2 View Post
We lost so much momentum when we played all the freshman at the same time in the first and second half. It was okay vs Alabama State, but against a good opponent it could be devastating, and almost was. That's the reason A'ja and the starters was so tired in the second half. After putting all the freshman in (with a 26pt lead), MD took momentum and we were never really able to get it back. Luckily, our vets scored enough to hold them off in the end.

Our defense needs a lot of work. I wish Bianca was playing so she could've locked down their SG in the second half. We had no answer for her. Does anyone know when Bianca will be back?
I think they will need the freshmen this year and especially down the road. If you aren't playing them up 15-25 how can you ever play them in an important game?

It is worth the risk of losing a game to have those players ready to help in March.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #71
VBCock
4-Star
 
VBCock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston
Posts: 321
CockyCash: 500
VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
When we get Cuevas and Cooper, we will run more three Guard sets. Cuevas/Spann/Harris starting with Cooper/Jackson/Cliney in reserve. Inside will be A'ja and Jennings with Keke as our first sub, with Jennings moving over to Center when A'ja is out. Then we will work Lele and Daz into more minutes over the course of the season.

Keke is very important until Lele and Daz get it together - she will need to play 25-30 minutes per game, same with A'ja and Jennings. We need to keep them all fresh for the 4th Quarter.

Probably will have more three guard sets, but having Cuevas available would also be a good option for helping the second unit continue to stretch leads.

I like the starting lineup as it is, but I guess Cliney could move back to bench.

I'm not sure how necessary Williams is this year, but it is a huge concern for me going forward that she be ready to contribute in 2018-19.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #72
USCharleston2
Veteran
 
USCharleston2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charleston
Posts: 647
CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: **USC Women (1-0) vs. Maryland (1-0) GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
I think they will need the freshmen this year and especially down the road. If you aren't playing them up 15-25 how can you ever play them in an important game?

It is worth the risk of losing a game to have those players ready to help in March.
I wasn't saying not to put them in, I want them to be paired with a vet... i.e. take A'ja out and put Daz in. Or take Alexis out and put LeLe in while leaving a vet in for consistency.

What we did was take A'ja, Alexis and Ty out and replaced them with the three freshman or 2 freshman and KiKi and promptly lost momentum.

Honestly, I trust Dawn and know that she knows what she's doing. It's easy to coach from my couch having little knowledge of how/what these girls do in practice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development