CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Stock Market Forum

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockyguitar
Gamecocks1137
M.C.
Ironfan
markymark550
thumpin big
rioninusc
TaySC
gotrice?
gamecockphan
SI: Frank Martin a p (1292)
Slow your roll and c (1131)
What are you looking (506)
Garth Brooks botox p (408)
Running on Empty (377)
Scalpers (163)
No baseball bets? (134)
Make an argument to (115)
**GAME #3 USC vs. UN (88)
**USC Women (22-3) v (40)
Make an argument to the s
Running on Empty
Slow your roll and calm t
**USC (20-6) vs. Vanderbi
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Need 2 to Tenn. Basketbal
SI: Frank Martin a possib
**GAME #3 USC vs. UNC-Gre
Improvements to Gameday a
**USC Women (22-3) vs. Mi

Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000365601
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Rebuilding the Wall of Worry

Jeff Miller has a weekly blog. This is one of the additional pieces he wrote.
The idea of the "Wall of Worry" has been around a long time. This is a nice
read. Here is his weekly blog http://dashofinsight.com
In it, he includes most of the weekly economic data along with various other sources that I have found very useful in the past.......and provides the sites for this information.

"In case no one noticed, some of the “old” worries have been cleaned up. Has anyone noticed how Greece left the headlines? Those predicting disaster there have quietly moved on to a new continent.

Consumers of market horror stories need not fear! There is an inexhaustible supply of new concerns, although some of them seem smell a little like aging cheese. If you are an editor or publisher you absolutely must provide an explanation for the largest market selloff of the year. It cannot be something obvious like an over-reaction to some short-term news while the big pension fund managers are at the beach.

So let us dig into today’s “news.” None of this is new information. All of it has been the subject of past posts. Here are the items featured today as explanations and my current thoughts:

Worldwide growth concerns, sparked by news about Chinese stocks.
The Chinese stock market does not reflect the economy. No one thought so on the way up, so why believe it on the way down.
The actual decline in the rate of Chinese economic growth has a relatively modest effect if you run the numbers. (Check here).
Commodity prices are declining sharply.
This has often been a bogus signal in the past, most importantly in 2011. Those who took the bait then missed several years of rally while worrying about a recession.
Oil prices reflect excess supply, not just demand concerns. Some of this is political noise.
The Fed is about to raise rates.
Maybe. It is probably overdue given the strength in labor markets and housing.
It is irrelevant!! Markets typically rally for two years or so after the first Fed move. In this case the time period might even be longer, part of the sharp decline, slow recovery business cycle.
There are plenty of new omens, death crosses, and bearish signals.
Has anyone noticed that this is a permanent condition? Eventually we get a downturn and we see a victory lap from the most recent purveyors of doom.

Investment Conclusion

None of us likes to see a lower value on our monthly brokerage statement. I always warn new investors that volatility in stocks comes with the territory. Each investor must pick a risk level that might be unpleasant, but does not represent a real threat if the economic fundamentals remain sound.

That is where we are right now. I worked hard in 2011 to identify the best indicators for recession and financial risk. (Check here). I sought many suggestions for the best methods, and I reviewed them all. None of them indicate a reason for concern. They are better than the expensive, commodity-signal mistakes of 2011.

In sharp contrast, many in the media benefit from highlighting the worst case about the economy and the market – a subject for a different post. The process of finding a new list of scary stories is their fundamental business model. They have no long-term accountability for results, of course, nor does it matter to them.

Everyone knows that value investors are supposed to buy when others are fearful. It is so hard to execute this when the time comes. This is the reason for my relentless focus on fundamental economic indicators as opposed to vague, unquantifiable headlines."
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: Rebuilding the Wall of Worry

I agree with Jeff completely. On many of the market pages, I've been arguing with people who are spelling gloom and doom. I just don't see it. I can't wait to invest my money. I'm itching to pull the trigger. However, I want the Fed to raise the rates first so people will panic and the market will go down more before I get in again.

I said it in the other thread - I think what we are seeing right now globally means it's time for an economic shift. For so long, much of our market and economy was tied to what is happening globally. We ignored or took for granted what is going on domestically. Now, all indicators are that we have the best game in town.

Unemployment is down, spending is up, earnings are solid for many companies (especially those in the discretionary spending area), the housing market has been strong, and people should be willing to spend during the 4th quarter (aka holiday shopping period). I think we are close or near the top of this bull run but I think we can expand and grow for a few more months. As a matter of fact, I'm banking on it.

So I'm crossing my fingers and really hoping the Fed will raise rates so the market will go down, I can get back in, and then enjoy the ride up. I think this will be a good 4th quarter and I honestly don't understand the panic. Domestically, all indicators are good and I don't see us struggling - at least through the beginning of next year.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote