CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ironfan
gotrice?
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
carolinamyke
BillyHixx
ChunkSnackwell
6pack
Order 66
SterlingBrooks
**USC Women (22-3) v (2301)
**GAME #3 USC vs. UN (2301)
Make an argument to (695)
d3 basketball arrest (504)
Cfn has us rated at. (385)
Scalpers (353)
2017 NFL Draft Picks (147)
Happy Birthday 5150h (143)
Need 2 to Tenn. Bask (14)
2018 - Xavier Thomas
2018 - Dennis Smith
**USC Women (22-3) vs. Mi
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Cfn has us rated at...
What are you looking forw
CFN ACC preview has Clems
d3 basketball arrest
**GAME #3 USC vs. UNC-Gre
2017 NFL Draft Picks

Old 01-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #21
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: MBB Recruiting - 2017 & 2018 Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeoftheCOCK View Post
We had no shot at Thornwell when he arrived according to most experts as well, If I remember correctly going into his SR year most had him going to NC State with Louisville or Syracuse as his back ups. Having said that Brown is an up hill battle as is Williamson but never say never.
The difference is there was a coaching change. A coaching change can change the entire complexion of a recruitment, like it did Thornwell. Brown knows who his coach would be already. I'm just being realistic here, to land him it would take an absolute miracle. Nothing wrong with admitting we have close to no shot here as of today.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #22
USCharleston2
Veteran

Male

CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudlyUSCharleston2 is crowing loudly

I understand what you guys are saying. However, the ability to evaluate talent at an earlier age is what gets you in the head of these recruits (not talking middle school).

By the time you wait to offer a recruit when he's a junior or senior he's got 8 or 9 good schools that he has researched, evaluated, and built a close relationship with... i.e. Tevin Mack.

Our football team is doing a good job of evaluating and offering recruits early.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #23
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCharleston2 View Post
I understand what you guys are saying. However, the ability to evaluate talent at an earlier age is what gets you in the head of these recruits (not talking middle school).

By the time you wait to offer a recruit when he's a junior or senior he's got 8 or 9 good schools that he has researched, evaluated, and built a close relationship with... i.e. Tevin Mack.

Our football team is doing a good job of evaluating and offering recruits early.

Different coaches are going to take different approaches to recruiting, that's just how it is. I don't agree 100% with the waiting that Martin does but I can't argue the results and I can't argue the team has gotten more talented each year under him without fail to this point so I can't argue the results.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #24
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCharleston2 View Post

Make no bones about it they are evaluating kids in middle school and in doing so know how much interest they have in the program. Coach Martin put all his eggs into getting Dozier who is a legacy and would have killed any chance with fans of Martin succeeding if he had gone some place else, he was also the #1 rated recruit in the state and Mack was #2. Dozier signing with us had as much to do with Mack going elsewhere as anything, he was tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Dozier, would you had rather had Mack or Dozier? You act as if Martin did not recruit Mack hard and it did not come down to South Carolina or VCU(Shaka Smart), I bet Mack wishes he had chose us instead of the 7-8 Longhorns!

Last edited by RevengeoftheCOCK; 01-08-2017 at 06:51 PM..
RevengeoftheCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #25
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 99858567
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Hopefully with the program now getting to the point of consistently having solid seasons of success - and if it can break the NCAAT barrier this year - and continue to do so, then you'll start seeing the 7th and 8th graders developing real interest in playing for USC, instead of always having to look to go play out of state because the in-state programs don't win enough.

Then we'll start getting a few more of those blue-chip talent to come play not because they are legacies, but because no one else can tell them they can't win at USC....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #26
Three and Out
4-Star

Male

Three and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his comb

When Frank got here, the only thing he had to sell was himself and his successful record. The team was in chaois......players were leaving. Fast forward to today. We are now in transition from day 1 to a successful program. Our recruting is improving and we are getting looks from kids that wouldn't have given us the time of day 4 years ago. I expect our recruiting to improve as our team improves. One day, in hopefully the not too distant future, we'll be on par with many of the successful programs around the country. Next year we'll have Holden, Beatty, Haase, Doumbia and Cudd.....a good mix of players.....continuing to get better.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #27
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Frank is already doing what he has to do - win without getting all of the blue-chip in-state kids. Once you start winning and going to the Big Dance, in-state players will take notice.

We are a little bit cursed - the state just North of us has two of the Top Five programs in all of college basketball in Duke and UNC. If we keep winning, we can do our own version with us and UK, maybe throw UF in some years. Just have to show that we can get to the tourney and makes some noise consistently, and we seem to be heading that way.

FYI, when it comes to recruiting AC Flora, Frank has to overcome some other baggage. Bill Foster passed on the two best in Flora history, Xavier McDaniel and Tyrone Corbin, back in the day. So not a lot of history of success with Falcons at USC.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #28
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Frank is already doing what he has to do - win without getting all of the blue-chip in-state kids. Once you start winning and going to the Big Dance, in-state players will take notice.

We are a little bit cursed - the state just North of us has two of the Top Five programs in all of college basketball in Duke and UNC. If we keep winning, we can do our own version with us and UK, maybe throw UF in some years. Just have to show that we can get to the tourney and makes some noise consistently, and we seem to be heading that way.

FYI, when it comes to recruiting AC Flora, Frank has to overcome some other baggage. Bill Foster passed on the two best in Flora history, Xavier McDaniel and Tyrone Corbin, back in the day. So not a lot of history of success with Falcons at USC.
Should be a little easier with the coach having only been there a year though I do not know much about Coach Staley other than he came from coaching the Orangeburg-Wilkinson girls team
Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #29
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 8398
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeoftheCOCK View Post
Should be a little easier with the coach having only been there a year though I do not know much about Coach Staley other than he came from coaching the Orangeburg-Wilkinson girls team
What?
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #30
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
What?
The coach at AC Flora has only been at Flora a year, he came from Orangeburg-Wilkinson and was the girls coach at O-W.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #31
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
The difference is there was a coaching change. A coaching change can change the entire complexion of a recruitment, like it did Thornwell. Brown knows who his coach would be already. I'm just being realistic here, to land him it would take an absolute miracle. Nothing wrong with admitting we have close to no shot here as of today.
I think stating it would take a miracle is a little bit much and Coach Martin could have a shot if winning becomes a habit in CLA IMO but I understand exactly what you are saying as the only friend I have with any knowledge of him is a huge clemsux fan who says exactly what you are saying.