CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
Ace Dilcock
Cockypantherfan
markymark550
Luke Skycocker
FurmanCock
GamecockInHell
11SWU10
WeCocky2001
Rooster'srule
WHAT THE FRICK (2411)
**GAME #2 USC (14-6) (2350)
National Championshi (1824)
2017 NCAA Women's To (1535)
Who Will The HBC Pul (1283)
3 SEC East Teams in (1056)
Silva (1003)
Don't underestimate (926)
Only Conference With (861)
Does the basketball (828)
National Championship
3 SEC East Teams in Elite
Winthrop Coach headed to
2018 - Tykee Ogle-Kellogg
Don't underestimate Flori
2017 NCAA Women's Tournam
SEC Love
Who Will The HBC Pull For
GATOR HUNTIN' SEASON IS N
That seals it

Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #41
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Could WCW have Survived?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
WCW could have only survived if they went back to their roots. They were losing money at a record pace based on the money they were throwing at guys who weren't bringing in equal money in return. Bischoff couldn't have saved the company because he's the one that really put the end in motion. At one time the NWA was the wrestling based company and the WWF was a cartoon. The independent companies thriving today do it based on being wrestling focused and WWE is back to being a cartoon.

It will be interesting to see what TNA does with new ownership. I don't think you'll ever see a WCW vs WWE level competition again but if TNA could somehow find their way back on a real network without the incompetence of Dixie Carter running it they might be able to be a more solid alternative.
I agree with you on Bischoff, and I used to be a huge Bischoff guy. I thought his Sting vs Hogan/NWO angle was brilliant. Monday Night Nitro was the best thing going leading up to Starcade 97. But then Bischoff really botched that Sting vs Hogan match and continued to trip over himself after that. I'm my opinion, the ending of that match was the beginning of the end of WCW.
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #42
sosfan812
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Flair is getting his own ESPN 30 for 30. I don't any other wrestler ever gets that, except maybe Hogan or Andre the Giant.
Gonna show my age but I remember watching flair vs wahoo McDaniel for the mid Atlantic title at the township in a cage match. Flair lost.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #43
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafanusc View Post
I agree with you on Bischoff, and I used to be a huge Bischoff guy. I thought his Sting vs Hogan/NWO angle was brilliant. Monday Night Nitro was the best thing going leading up to Starcade 97. But then Bischoff really botched that Sting vs Hogan match and continued to trip over himself after that. I'm my opinion, the ending of that match was the beginning of the end of WCW.
The Fingerpoke of Doom was the beginning of the end. They never came back from it.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #44
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Finger Poke of Doom was the beginning of the end. Guaranteed contracts and creative control don't mix well usually.

The Hogan heel turn was the best thing to happen in pro wrestling. I remember that moment like it was yesterday. I grew up on the "eat your vitamins" stuff. It was an epic moment.

Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #45
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Goldberg going crazy on a limo was the end. That put him out for months when WCW was struggling to keep up in the ratings war.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #46
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Goldberg going crazy on a limo was the end. That put him out for months when WCW was struggling to keep up in the ratings war.

Yeah that blood splatter at the end is rough. That was a dumb segment anyways,, did they not think he could seriously hurt himself doing that?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #47
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
Yeah that blood splatter at the end is rough. That was a dumb segment anyways,, did they not think he could seriously hurt himself doing that?
That was Goldberg "improvising". He wasn't supposed to do anything of that. It was just sheer stupidity. He almost lost his arm.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #48
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 613201094
Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Why was the "Finger Poke of Doom" so controversial?
Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #49
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
I don't know why...all clemson players do it

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #50
longhaul
Recruit

Male

longhaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comblonghaul is developing his comb

Flair is the man. Not even close when you look at careers. Maybe to some of the younger guys don't know him as well, but Flair dates way back to the days of Black Jack Mulligan, Wahoo McDaniel and other greats and is still relevant today. Anywhere he goes he is recognized.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #51
Dizzy01
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think it just kind of symbolized the disconnect in WCW and the fan base. There was virtually no interest in Hogan as champion by that point and Nash had just won the title by using a taser on Goldberg. It was just back to back nights of crap and it coincided with Foley getting his first title in WWE. WCW gave people a reason to change the channel and many never changed it back.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #52
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I think it just kind of symbolized the disconnect in WCW and the fan base. There was virtually no interest in Hogan as champion by that point and Nash had just won the title by using a taser on Goldberg. It was just back to back nights of crap and it coincided with Foley getting his first title in WWE. WCW gave people a reason to change the channel and many never changed it back.
Ok, I can understand that. I just wondered, I know WWE had their own version of this a couple of years prior with Triple H and HBK.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #53
Dizzy01
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ok, I can understand that. I just wondered, I know WWE had their own version of this a couple of years prior with Triple H and HBK.

I think the difference was that for DX it was part of their story. They were just screwing with the authority and it wasn't over the biggest title in the company. It also wasn't part of back to back nights of stupid transitions of the title from one of the most popular characters to one of the least popular characters.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #54
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

carolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talonscarolinafanusc has developed his gaff and talons

You all make good points. WCW got to unpredictable, almost always trying to catch everyone off guard. It got stupid to be honest. But I still say Starcade 97, after that build-up, then stripping Sting of the title started the downfall.
https://youtu.be/V-wulDEzRSs
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #55
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
You all make good points. WCW got to unpredictable, almost always trying to catch everyone off guard. It got stupid to be honest. But I still say Starcade 97, after that build-up, then stripping Sting of the title started the downfall.
FIFY
Old 01-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #56
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
It was a combination of things.

Hogan vs. Nash was the culmination of the nWo black/white vs. Wolfpack feud that had been going on for a little while and it was a HUGE match. It took place on the 1st Nitro of the new year in 1999 and it was in the Georgia Dome. So, it was basically a PPV style atmosphere.

RAW used to be taped on some nights, but Nitro was always live and it was a 3 hour show. So, WCW had 1 hour of live television to convince wrestling fans to not change to WWE at 9PM. So, I think it was Eric Bischoff who got the idea that they should spoil the results of RAW before 9PM, so fans wouldn't have a reason to watch.

The WCW announcer spoiled that Mick Foley was going to beat the Rock to win the WWF Heavyweight Championship with the help of Stone Cold. They thought nobody would watch RAW to see a major title change, but instead they lost a ton of viewers to the WWF that night and most turned back to WCW at the very end when the Fingerpoke of Doom happened.

So basically instead of fans regretting that they missed a huge match between Hogan and Nash, they ended up missing nothing and it was a huge turning point.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote