CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockyguitar
Gamecocks1137
Ironfan
M.C.
markymark550
thumpin big
rioninusc
gotrice?
TaySC
gamecockphan
SI: Frank Martin a p (1678)
Slow your roll and c (1371)
**GAME #3 USC vs. UN (1125)
What are you looking (641)
Running on Empty (579)
Make an argument to (391)
Scalpers (261)
**USC Women (22-3) v (224)
Happy Birthday 5150h (96)
d3 basketball arrest (68)
**USC Women (22-3) vs. Mi
**GAME #3 USC vs. UNC-Gre
Make an argument to the s
2018 - Dennis Smith
SI: Frank Martin a possib
2018 - Xavier Thomas
***All Ur Base Are Belong
d3 basketball arrest
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Champ On The Off-season P

Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #21
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 8398
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1754212&hl=en

Here is a newspaper article about rabid's Winter tale!
And your video actually encompasses the shot of which I spoke at the 34 second mark. I love the article, and McGuire was crafty even to the minutest detail. You'll notice the article states that "The bench stands up at the seven second mark, so whoever has the ball doesn't even have to look at the clock." Smart!

And yes, we won 62-60.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #22
doubledribble
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 101127241
doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
If you look at the box score for that game you find that all but three minutes of the game were played by six USC players. Marquette didn't play many guys either.

I had forgotten about that win. I guess I remember the losses to Marquette more than the wins.
You're right. It's exactly what you mentioned earlier!
doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
doubledribble
Banned

Male

doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
And your video actually encompasses the shot of which I spoke at the 34 second mark. I love the article, and McGuire was crafty even to the minutest detail. You'll notice the article states that "The bench stands up at the seven second mark, so whoever has the ball doesn't even have to look at the clock." Smart!

And yes, we won 62-60.
I couldn't make out what the jersey said to find out if that was Marquette, so I googled it. Sure enough the jerseys matched so I figured that was "The Shot" lol
Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #24
DontTreadOnMe
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100010500
DontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot materialDontTreadOnMe is USC mascot material

Good thread. I Never had any clue about any of this
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #25
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Upset of #17 Kentucky on 3/1/2014
Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #26
thumpin big
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

USC players from the past that I most enjoyed watching play, in no particular order:
Before 1980

John Roche
Tom Owens
John Ribock
Kevin Joyce
Danny Traylor
Tom Riker
Alex English
Nate Davis
Mike Dunleavy
Brian Winters
Ed Peterson
Jackie Gilloon
Kenny Reynolds

Out of that group,

Best rebounder: Owens
Best shooter: Winters and/or Peterson. Peterson was only on the team one year.
Best passer: Probably Gilloon. But he threw some passes his teammates didn't catch.
thumpin big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Thanks to whoever stickied this! Hopefully some other folks will bring some stories or post some videos!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #28
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Here is a front and back copy of the photo of Frank McGuire that was given out free during the 2014 Legends Weekend.

He was a Navy veteran just like me.

Attached Images

Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #29
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
Here is a front and back copy of the photo of Frank McGuire that was given out free during the 2014 Legends Weekend.

He was a Navy veteran just like me.

Thanks so much for sharing this!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #30
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #31
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 8398
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Unlike the Marquette game, where my most vivid memory of the game was Winter's winning jump shot, another game that comes to mind during that same '73-'74 season was the Pitt game. Now some of you may look at old box scores and see the final outcome, but many may not realize that the Pitt Panthers were ranked in the Top 10 when they came to town late in the season. I used to keep a record of our wins and losses during the season, and I recently came across my old records from this season. Pitt had a nineteen game winning streak that year and came into Carolina Coliseum with a 19-2 record. They were beating teams pretty badly. Oddly enough, the most vivid memory I have of that game, other than trouncing them by 17 points, was sitting behind one of the backboards, maybe fifteen rows up, flirting with a cute blonde cheerleader. You can see an excerpt of this game from the 1:05-1:15-second mark of doubledribble's Winter's video, though I don't see the the cheerleader anywhere.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #32
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 802064
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

How about the 1970 game against Maryland... Thanks to a cousin I was sitting court side... What a fight... Seeing Lefty get punched... What a night
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #33
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
How about the 1970 game against Maryland... Thanks to a cousin I was sitting court side... What a fight... Seeing Lefty get punched... What a night

There was a thread about this a while back that I found when googling this. I wanted to start this thread so we could have a place to share memories and connect to the past. Do you mind sharing some details?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #34
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #35
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Ricker and Rebok could have been the best tag team in any fighting sport imagined.. Those two were nasty. Owens wasn't a push over either.
The thing about Coach McQuire and his team depth is you didn't have to really have any depth in those days..No shot clock and very little fast break game. It was pretty much all half court offense.
Freaking Dean Smith would go to the 4 corners half way through the 2nd half..He is the direct cause of my Dad going through at least 2 TVs a year during basketball season...
I have to say my favorite Gamecock basketball player was probably Jackie Galoone..(sp?)..that guy could handle a basketball..
Old 12-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #36
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Thanks smoove!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #37
HeadCockFan
gold jacket, green jacket

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I miss the Coliseum and old floor. That big garnet logo was great.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #38
thumpin big
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

The fight with Maryland referenced above is an example of the intensity of the rivalries at that time. I am surprised I never got an ulcer from the tension of those ACC games back then. It was FAR more exciting than anything since then. Nothing we have now compares to it. Back then, you wanted to win because you were trying to be the best in the ACC, AND trying to beat your opponent. It was personal. Now, we play an SEC game and whoever wins, all the coaches and all the players shake hands and smile at each other and go their ways. No hard feelings. Not so then.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #39
thumpin big
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I went to see USC play Clemson at Clemson. I think it was 1969. Saw the JV game first. The crowd was yelling insults at our JVs. I remember some of the New York kids giving the finger to the crowd. Lots of hostility.

In the varsity game, USC was much better than Clemson and beat them soundly. One thing I remember was one of our big men, Owens, or Riker, I think, had the ball holding it up around his head and a Clemson player was on his left reaching for the ball. The USC kid hit the Clemson kid with his elbow, right in the nose. The blood poured and he had to go to the sidelines. I don't remember is there was a foul on the USC player. You can imagine the reaction of the Clemson crowd.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #40
doubledribble
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
I went to see USC play Clemson at Clemson. I think it was 1969. Saw the JV game first. The crowd was yelling insults at our JVs. I remember some of the New York kids giving the finger to the crowd. Lots of hostility.

In the varsity game, USC was much better than Clemson and beat them soundly. One thing I remember was one of our big men, Owens, or Riker, I think, had the ball holding it up around his head and a Clemson player was on his left reaching for the ball. The USC kid hit the Clemson kid with his elbow, right in the nose. The blood poured and he had to go to the sidelines. I don't remember is there was a foul on the USC player. You can imagine the reaction of the Clemson crowd.
Crazy!

The thing that stands out to me is that McGuire created rivalries with (it seems like) every ACC opponent. I mean we were hated by Maryland, UNC, NC State, and so on...

You're right. Nothing really like that now thanks to PC. I mean McGuire telling Lefty that he must have hit himself... Today we would have outrage and the coach would apologize...