CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
6pack
Three and Out
gotrice?
Blitzkrieg
ccured
SanAntonioCock
Order 66
TastyLicks
CockTail
Hugh Freeze about to (3339)
10 College Football (577)
Chester Bennington o (503)
Demarcus Gregory 201 (354)
Reminds me of my fir (270)
Freeze out @ old Mi (207)
Guy Eargle (187)
Women can suffer fro (20)
Demarcus Gregory 2018 ?
Hugh Freeze about to be f
Holbrook to CofC
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
***The Open Championship*
Dozier Signs With the Lak
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
2018 - Tyquan Johnson
2018 - James Mitchell
Return game

Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #81
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 30000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: EOY 2016: Is Ray Tanner Getting the Job Done?

I truly hope Ray has a 15-year run as a dynamite AD at the University of South Carolina. IMO, most of what he does will be judged by the football program. Of course, everything else matters, namely basketball and baseball. But if Muschamp starts winning 8+ games per year, every year, the stadium will be sold out and all other accolades will be gravy.

One test we use at my place of business, regarding employees, is as follows: Would our closest competitor want to hire this person?

In this instance, I think it's just too early to tell. The next 2-3 years will probably tell us how Ray's tenure will go.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #82
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
They are the ones that matter. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. I will take 1 football win against Clemson over 1000 women's bball national championships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No. Its the team that matters to you as a fan. And its also extremely nearsighted and ignorant.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #83
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
No. Its the team that matters to you as a fan. And its also extremely nearsighted and ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #84
GamecockDad1531
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

I feel like it was a good ole boy hire, which would be OK if it was the best hire we could make. But did we even look that hard for a new AD after Hyman? We are a major university in the SEC and we hand the job to a former coach who was an assistant AD for a few yrs like 20 years ago. Does that sound like something a major university that is determined to win at the highest levels would do?

It might turn out to be a good hire but if we hadn't had Hyman, where would we be right now? Bc he put this plan in place. Ray is just following it.

I like Frank Martin but he's not gonna win us any championships. Let's be honest. Ray took the easy road by giving him the extension.

It's too early to tell on Muschamp. It may end up being a great hire but don't tell me he was the guy from the start. He was third bc if he was first, we would have hired him way sooner. Which means Ray wasn't honest with us when he said Will was his guy from the beginning.

We just need to decide what's important: academic honors and nonrevenue sports achievements or winning championships in the big three. Its too early to tell if we can have both under Ray.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #85
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I swear man these chicken littles just don't stop. Maybe they should submit their resumes to become our new AD. Or find a way to make enough disposable income to become a major donor.

http://study.com/articles/Requiremen..._Director.html

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Some links to help you guys get started.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #86
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 30000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack View Post
I swear man these chicken littles just don't stop. Maybe they should submit their resumes to become our new AD. Or find a way to make enough disposable income to become a major donor.

I usually agree with you but why is this subject so taboo? If Ray Tanner's name was Fred Jones his performance thus far would be argued ad nauseum.

I believe it's a legitimate topic for discussion and I've stated my opinion. I'm also not surprised most fans here seem to be behind Ray. I'm glad they are.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #87
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
I usually agree with you but why is this subject so taboo? If Ray's name was Fred Jones his performance thus far would be argued ad nauseum.
I think if Ray's performance doesn't improve in the next 2 years we should start looking for a new AD but most of the whining in this thread from certain posters is a knee jerk reaction to Clemson doing well in football and basketball. Personally I do agree with posters who say that in order for us to improve the athletic department has to be run like a business and we need to give Ray at least a couple more years to adapt to this style of leadership. The amount of doom and gloom, not "being a realist" as some claim, around here is staring to be embarrassing.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #88
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think if Ray's performance doesn't improve in the next 2 years we should start looking for a new AD but most of the whining in this thread from certain posters is a knee jerk reaction to Clemson doing well in football and basketball. Personally I do agree with posters who say that in order for us to improve the athletic department has to be run like a business and we need to give Ray at least a couple more years to adapt to this style of leadership. The amount of doom and gloom, not "being a realist" as some claim, around here is staring to be embarrassing.

Until we get tired of losing to them it's never going to change. It's embarrassing that too many of our fans see it as ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #89
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

Quote:

You wonder how we've been mediocre our entire existence. So unless I think I'm qualified to be AD, I'm not allowed to think hiring a baseball coach with no AD experience at a major university was dumb? Geez
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #90
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Muschamp is doing a great job after 1 year, but it's a results oriented job and 6-7 yerars are not going be good enough for him to keep him employeed here. For the first couple of years it's fine because everyone would starting from scratch like this has such a tough job, but its' not going to be considered a successful hire until we start being team with a lot more wins than losses.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #91
MountainCock
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1200500
MountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
I truly hope Ray has a 15-year run as a dynamite AD at the University of South Carolina. IMO, most of what he does will be judged by the football program. Of course, everything else matters, namely basketball and baseball. But if Muschamp starts winning 8+ games per year, every year, the stadium will be sold out and all other accolades will be gravy.

One test we use at my place of business, regarding employees, is as follows: Would our closest competitor want to hire this person?

In this instance, I think it's just too early to tell. The next 2-3 years will probably tell us how Ray's tenure will go.
I would bet there are lots of schools that would love to have ray as their head baseball coach.
MountainCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #92
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainCock View Post
I would bet there are lots of schools that would love to have ray as their head baseball coach.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #93
c0ckkn0cker
Recruit

Male

c0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervousc0ckkn0cker is making other chickens nervous

I think he botched the transition with Spurrier. In an interview he mentioned after the 7-6 season he was really considering retiring and had a sit down with Ray. He said Ray encouraged him to stick around for another season if he liked. Right then and there, Ray should have really analyzed the state of the program and axed Spurrier (or just say "yes, please retire"). This would have saved us atleast from the 3 win season. That said, I don't mind the Muschamp hire and think he will bring in about as much talent as you could hope here right now.
c0ckkn0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #94
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ckkn0cker View Post
I think he botched the transition with Spurrier. In an interview he mentioned after the 7-6 season he was really considering retiring and had a sit down with Ray. He said Ray encouraged him to stick around for another season if he liked. Right then and there, Ray should have really analyzed the state of the program and axed Spurrier (or just say "yes, please retire"). This would have saved us atleast from the 3 win season. That said, I don't mind the Muschamp hire and think he will bring in about as much talent as you could hope here right now.
"please retire?" after SEC east championship year, than 4 11-win seasons and 7-6 year after just winning another bowl? No. No AD would have done that. I will say though that Tanner is facilitator. I can't really see him firing anyone or tell them they aren't doing a good job. He will just do what he can to help them win more. I really do want to see him actually fire someone just to show he has the guts to do it. But there really isn't anyone deserving to be fired that I can think of right now.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #95
GamecockDad1531
Game MVP

Male

GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

I don't know why we have this thread. No offense to OP, but it's not like SC will fire him if he's doing a bad job. He was "rewarded" with the AD position for doing such a good job with the baseball team. It's like if Danny Ford had been offered the AD job after 1981 at Clemson. They'd let him run it for 15 years without saying a word.

Tanner should have never gotten the job. And I'll tell you something else...if he messes around and doesn't stop that stupid mausoleum or whatever from being built right in the shadow of WBS, he can gtfo for all I care. That thing will be a monument to how sorry our program is for years and years.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #96
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

These threads always start after losses, but never after wins... Hmmmmmmmmm... /Puts on Kermit the frog suit and drinks tea.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #97
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Ray Ray is here as LONG AS HE WANTS TO BE HERE....Period...The man is a winner and knows how to hire winners....
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #98
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
I don't know why we have this thread. No offense to OP, but it's not like SC will fire him if he's doing a bad job. He was "rewarded" with the AD position for doing such a good job with the baseball team. It's like if Danny Ford had been offered the AD job after 1981 at Clemson. They'd let him run it for 15 years without saying a word.

Tanner should have never gotten the job. And I'll tell you something else...if he messes around and doesn't stop that stupid mausoleum or whatever from being built right in the shadow of WBS, he can gtfo for all I care. That thing will be a monument to how sorry our program is for years and years.
What is this mausoleum you speak of?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #99
GamecockDad1531
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
What is this mausoleum you speak of?
Sorry, it's a columbarium. See article link.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...e94035302.html
Old 01-05-2017, 01:00 AM   #100
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Ray Ray is here as LONG AS HE WANTS TO BE HERE....Period...The man is a winner and knows how to hire winners....
He has to have accountabilty if shit hits the fan. He ain't no winner if we start a pattern consistent losing. Spurrier used to be winner until....looking at him now.... What was the problem? No accoutability, that's what. No accountability = why try hard attitude, no one is going to make me.