CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
TRBTB
6pack
TastyLicks
2000grad
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
Season parking selec (126)
2 footbal tix for sa (44)
Football team at Fort Jac
Official Baseball Coachin
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Football Ops Center updat
Season parking selection
2017 Signee - Keisean Nix
Tim Tebow coming to South
SEC Football Coaches Appr
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Kiffen Strikes Again

Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Where We Are As A Team Heading Into SEC Play

So proud of Silva....He has a mid range jumper and his foul shooting actually has good touch now.....I never thought I would see him be able to shoot the ball.....He has put in work for sure...
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #22
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

I like the direction this team is headed with really good depth at the guard positions and quality depth at the bigs with Kieta starting to understand things, the ability of Thornwell to guard almost any position on the floor is huge! I have little doubt that if Thornwell had not been suspended we would be undefeated!
With Dozier and Thornwell having the ability to effect the game without scoring and viable scoring options stepping up in Felder and Silva hitting the 10-15 footer we should be hell on wheels during conference play.
I can see Kieta getting better and more comfortable/confident as the season progresses and Kotsar rounding back into form with Thornwell back in the lineup.

I'm a little worried with this latest trend of relying on the 3 but I'm confident Coach Martin will hammer it home that we have to get the big men touches on the block to be successful and open up both the lane and the wide open 3. We will see a ton of zone as we are a match up nightmare for most teams, so Notice, Gravett, Felder, Dozier and McKie are going to have to knock down the open 3 consistently from here on out and I think they will.
Defensively we are a beast and this alone should keep us in any game and give the guys confident to shoot, with the depth we have I think you will see us pressure talented teams much more than we have up to this point. The quickness of Notice, Felder, Gravett coupled with the long rangy arms of Thornwell and Dozier will make pressure fun to watch, buckle up it is going to be a great ride!
RevengeoftheCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

We need to rebound better. If I had to name just one thing that needs to improve, I would say it is the play of our freshmen bigs. We don't need them to score much, but we do need them to rebound and play defense.

Our depth on the perimeter is pretty good right now, and will get better as Blanton gets in shape, and as Evan Hinson practices more and figures out what to do. Actually, it is hard to find playing time for all of the perimeter guys who need to play. We have a lot of them. Frank might play Thornwell at the PF spot some and create an opening to get Blanton and Hinson on the court, if the score and the opponent will allow it.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #24
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
We need to rebound better. If I had to name just one thing that needs to improve, I would say it is the play of our freshmen bigs. We don't need them to score much, but we do need them to rebound and play defense.
On this note, I'm hoping that every day at practice they spend an hour having Gueye just catch basketballs. I mean literally, someone just throws balls at him and he catches them. His biggest problem is that on defense when he gets rebounds he pretty much always drops them, and on offense he can't catch passes...at all. I know he's a freshman so I'm not down on him, but if we're going to get any productive minutes from him this year he has to work on the hand-eye coordination.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:41 AM   #25
6pack
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Us getting to the NCAA tournament this year would really help me feel better about Clemson beating Bama.
6pack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 AM   #26
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Thornwell would be 4th in the league in scoring, lead the league in steals, 5th in rebounding and top 15 in assists if he had played enough games. We have not seen the best of Thornwell and he has help!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #27
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

I think this is the year we finally win another NCAAT game. I know one thing - wherever we're playing, I'm there.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #28
Strickland Propane
Recruit

Male

Strickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudlyStrickland Propane is crowing loudly

With all the doom and gloom in the football forum, it's nice to remember that we're still in a great position to make a run in men's basketball.
Strickland Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #29
Spur20001
Blue Chip

Male

Spur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland Propane View Post
With all the doom and gloom in the football forum, it's nice to remember that we're still in a great position to make a run in men's basketball.
I like football but I like basketball better. As long as we have good basketball and baseball teams I will be happy. I really like this basketball team. I think this is the best team we have had in a long time. I also like the incoming recruiting class and think we will be even better next season. Martin is an excellent coach and has this program looking good for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Spur20001; 01-11-2017 at 06:45 PM..
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #30
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's basketball season; I don't even frequent the FB forum this time of year.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #31
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
I like football but I like basketball better. As long as we have good basketball and baseball teams I will be happy. I really like this basketball team. I think this is the best team we have had in a long time. I also like the incoming recruiting class and think we will be even better next season. Martin is an excellent coach and has this program looking good for the forseeable future.
I've always said if I had to pick football or basketball for us to be good at, I go with basketball every time. To me, the big dance is the most exciting college sporting event of the year.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #32
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeoftheCOCK View Post
Thornwell would be 4th in the league in scoring, lead the league in steals, 5th in rebounding and top 15 in assists if he had played enough games. We have not seen the best of Thornwell and he has help!
After sitting out 6 games and everyone wondering if he would lose his edge, he has played two games since coming back against two SEC foes, and scored 35 pts (17.5 ppg), with 18 rebounds (9.0 rpg), 11 steals (5.5 spg), and 3 blocks (1.5 bpg). He seems to be the man on a mission like the articles stated he was. I can't expect any player to maintain those kinds of numbers, but UGA and Texas A&M aren't the worst SEC teams we'll face either. Those numbers are SEC POTY caliber IMO......

Tomorrow's game with Tennessee is a crucial game. All road SEC games are, but UT seems to be improving a bit as the season progresses. They have an excellent SOS but only a decent RPI in the 60s because they are only 8-7 against that schedule - really 7-7 if you discount their win against Div. II Chaminade. But we still need to win this. All remaining games are crucial games for us. We are on a mission!!!
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #33
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I would take a great Gamecock Basketball team over a great Gamecock football team.Not to mention, I don't have to stand to watch the game, and there's AC.

I was at the A&M game last Saturday and it's so much more fun when Colonial Life is rocking than Williams Brice. So, hopefully the team does get into the tournament this year. We have the guard play and our bigs are a lot better than people thought they would be.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #34
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

^I agree; while I love football, basketball �� is my favorite sport and if I had to choose the sport I most want to excel in, it would be hoops.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #35
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPitthumpin big rules the CockPit

I would like to be good in football and basketball. But my favorite team sport is basketball. And has been for many years.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #36
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
@GrantRamey Verified account ‏@GrantRamey

Tennessee confirms the dismissal of junior guard Detrick Mostella.

Huge loss for the Vols.....he was their 2nd leading scorer, and top 3-pt shooter....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #37
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

Wow, I wonder what happened?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #38
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
After sitting out 6 games and everyone wondering if he would lose his edge, he has played two games since coming back against two SEC foes, and scored 35 pts (17.5 ppg), with 18 rebounds (9.0 rpg), 11 steals (5.5 spg), and 3 blocks (1.5 bpg). He seems to be the man on a mission like the articles stated he was. I can't expect any player to maintain those kinds of numbers, but UGA and Texas A&M aren't the worst SEC teams we'll face either. Those numbers are SEC POTY caliber IMO......

Tomorrow's game with Tennessee is a crucial game. All road SEC games are, but UT seems to be improving a bit as the season progresses. They have an excellent SOS but only a decent RPI in the 60s because they are only 8-7 against that schedule - really 7-7 if you discount their win against Div. II Chaminade. But we still need to win this. All remaining games are crucial games for us. We are on a mission!!!
I agree that Thornwell is on a mission and looking at the players that the media are enamored with in the SEC, Thornwell is at a minimum as good if not better then them all and he is going to prove that. The numbers don't show his defensive prowess as he had 11 steals in those games or 5.5 per game in SEC play and when we needed a play he made it. His stat line against jawja was a line for the ages and he will have better, 19pts, 11reb, 1assist, 6 steals, 3blocks and just 1 turnover
Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #39
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10248
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Huge loss for the Vols.....he was their 2nd leading scorer, and top 3-pt shooter....
Hopefully, their loss is our gain. They will have to scramble to game plan sans their junior guard.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 AM   #40
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2304200828
Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Maybe this will be good news for us come seletion sunday.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...g1qrzdtaaa9zeo
Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote