CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
zappa
GuyInTheGreenHouse
CoastCocky
TastyLicks
2000grad
carolina_corpsman
GregoryHouse
EAtMoRTaYtErz
TaySC
thekob
Is it possible to sl (1362)
How would you feel a (1120)
Add a word and ruin (698)
Who would your rathe (647)
South Carolina fans (565)
Reading Other Messag (556)
We good (511)
Why Each Final Four (427)
The court is ready i (379)
Both MBB and WBB tea (375)
Sin is most valuable Fina
S%^t My Twitter Says...
Oakland Raiders moving to
Hype: Football title vs
Reading Other Message Boa
Who would your rather pla
Bluetooth SpeakerS
Zelda
The court is ready in Pho
How would you feel about

Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #21
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material
Default Re: How will Wolford affect recruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
You are correct. But it was his hometown and Youngstown State is famous for football in Ohio. He hadn't lived in the area since HS. He has a severly disabled son. He made the right move at the time, no matter what SOS said. he did pretty good up there, just couldn't get over the late season slumps, sound familiar? Heck, SOS told his own son Jr it wasn't time for him to leave for Duke a few years before SOS retired. I bet Jr regrets not leaving SC at the time. He's now at Western Kentucky. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now.

Wolfy and his wife loved Columbia and now they are coming back. I think it's one of the best hires Muschamp could have made. Mike Summers was not going to go over very well. Latina is in retirement. Walt Wells is close to retirement. Even if we had a chance to land Cristobal, how long you think he'd stay? 1 or 2 years and that would have been it.
I was hoping for Brent Key not Cristobal. But Cristobal has been mentioned for HC jobs so Key might believe that in a year or two he will be the main offensive line coach at Alabama. So both would have probably stayed put unless we could give a promotion to a co-coordinator spot - which we can't do.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #22
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Hell, who knows?

Just gotta wait-and-see.
Haha this
Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
Emery
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

His only job is to keep the class together at this point, which is Muschamp's job.

I find this hire interesting. Very slight connection to the program but a extensive history. I honestly don't remember his season, could someone summarize his approach and technique?

I'm really curious how this went down. Did Wolford reach out to us? If not, this has Tanner's fingerprints all over it.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
Y Formation
Bowl MVP

Male

Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I was hoping for Brent Key not Cristobal. But Cristobal has been mentioned for HC jobs so Key might believe that in a year or two he will be the main offensive line coach at Alabama. So both would have probably stayed put unless we could give a promotion to a co-coordinator spot - which we can't do.
This hire fits the bill. Eric is a damn good OL coach and recruiter. He has HC'ing experience and he has spent a year at Carolina less than 8 years ago. He's familiar with the Athletic department and the recruiting areas.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #25
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
SOS told him that he wasn't ready. He was right. We could have gotten a quality OL coach instead of Wolford. We were left in the lurch and had to settle for less. It was the start of the OL demise. Many people went out of their way to provide support for his son. Many of those subsequently felt taken advantage of. Perhaps to be expected given his job llength history. Hopefully he will do well and stay here longer this time around.
Yancey our o-line problems started day 1 with Spurrier when he hired John Hunt. Wolford was a great hire at the time when our o-line ranked at the bottom of div 1 football. You really can't blame him for taking a head coaching job in his home state. I doubt that any position coach would have turned down that opportunity.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #26
bcolinc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
His only job is to keep the class together at this point, which is Muschamp's job.

I find this hire interesting. Very slight connection to the program but a extensive history. I honestly don't remember his season, could someone summarize his approach and technique?

I'm really curious how this went down. Did Wolford reach out to us? If not, this has Tanner's fingerprints all over it.
Well, the one year he was here, he recruited two Offensive Linemen that are currently in the NFL. That's something we have been missin since he left.
bcolinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #27
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

I agree with most of the fans about Coach Wolford. I believe that he is an excellent coach, great recruiter, and teacher. Under our previous O-Line Coach we had lineman who had the size, but for whatever the reason they could not consistently block even smaller D-Lineman??? That tends to tell me that we had a coaching problem. Coach Wolford will make these guys stronger, more technical in their blocking, and hopefully instill a "mean streak in them" that puts fear into the other team and gives our RB's a chance to gain a few yards versus getting hit in the backfield. Time will tell and I think that this is an excellent choice for our program and I do not hold it against him for leaving to improve his lot in the coaching world as that is the intent of just about all football coaches.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #28
Emery
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
Well, the one year he was here, he recruited two Offensive Linemen that are currently in the NFL. That's something we have been missin since he left.
That's something, but too small of sample size. It's like saying Jr. was a good recruiter and coach because of Alshon.

I'm too lazy, but what about all the other stops he has made along the way?

And I don't understand the issue with a coach leaving for a promotion. Of course he would leave, and should. It was a good shot that didn't work out. And if he takes another head coaching gig in 2-3 years then great, it means he performed well.

To not want a coach because he may get a HC job in the near future is stupid. We should just fire McClendon and T Rob now just to be on the safe side.

Found this:

Wolford also recruited and gained commitments from six offensive linemen during his time as a coach. While he doesn’t get credit for coaching them, three of the players he recruited went on to the NFL and a fourth was invited to an NFL training camp. Of the other two, one did not qualify and the other transferred as a redshirt freshman.

Last edited by Emery; 01-09-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #29
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's something, but too small of sample size. It's like saying Jr. was a good recruiter and coach because of Alshon.

1995 GA at Kansas St.
1996 OL coach Emporia St.
1997-1999 OL coach South Florida (they were an independent at the time)
2000-2002 OL coach Houston (was not retained when Art Briles took over)
2003 OL coach North Texas
2004-2006 OL coach Arizona (brought in by Mike Stoops)
2007-2008 OL coach Illinois (brought in by Ron Zook)
2009 OL coach USC
2010-2014 HC Youngstown St.
2015-2016 OL Assistant SF 49ers (was offered the OL coaching position at Oklahoma St but opted out for the NFL)

So almost every move he made was an upgrade with the exception of maybe Arizona to Illinois which could be considered a lateral move.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #30
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I wouldn't put any wild expectations on Wolford until 2019.

2017 is a wash. 2018 he is already behind.

I imagine he will piece together what he can for 2017 and 2018 while really working relationships and evaluations for 2019. I'd expect a lot of Ronald Patrick type guys for right now. Players that others schools pass on that he sees something in.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #31
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I wouldn't put any wild expectations on Wolford until 2019.

2017 is a wash. 2018 he is already behind.

I imagine he will piece together what he can for 2017 and 2018 while really working relationships and evaluations for 2019. I'd expect a lot of Ronald Patrick type guys for right now. Players that others schools pass on that he sees something in.
The problem that I see here is that we need help now not 2-3 year projects. This is why I think that they will look real hard in the JUCO ranks for players that can make more of an immediate impact and less on project players. There will always be the under the radar players and I have complete faith in Wolford's ability to find and asses those guys. I also think that he will make a bigger impact on the players he will inherit. We have some good players up front but they lacked development and conditioning from the previous staff.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #32
Ironfan
Bowl MVP

CockyCash: 2400
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

AJ Cann likes the hire. Muschamp just retweeted

https://twitter.com/AJCann60/status/818460069515948032
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #33
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 335
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
The problem that I see here is that we need help now not 2-3 year projects. This is why I think that they will look real hard in the JUCO ranks for players that can make more of an immediate impact and less on project players. There will always be the under the radar players and I have complete faith in Wolford's ability to find and asses those guys. I also think that he will make a bigger impact on the players he will inherit. We have some good players up front but they lacked development and conditioning from the previous staff.
The O Line/O Line talent is a lot better than anyone realizes. A poster above complained that the line could not block smaller D Linemen or open holes - yet a true Freshman RB ran for good yardage in the second half of the season and averaged 5.7 yards per carry. The comments and perception don't match reality.

We only lose Zandi. Get Stanley, Knott and Helms healthy, add in highly regarded RS Freshman Hutcherson and JUCO Daley to the Tackle mix, and there is plenty of talent - right now. Wolford will do a good job of recruiting, but we are fine for 2017 - no need for JUCOs. I hope that Daley breaks the trend, but we have gotten zilch from JUCO linemen since we landed Rok Watkins.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #34
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Hopefully, he can find some shorter strong and mean guys that are getting passed on for lack of height until he builds up his pipeline.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
USCharleston2
Veteran

Male

CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit

Here's a wiki article about one of our former walk-on OL players, Garrett Chisolm. There's a quote from Wolford in there that speaks volumes about his ability to "coach up" a walk-on to a SEC starter. Garrett did play a big part in it as well, but his life story is very touching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_Chisolm
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #36
henmania
Bowl MVP

Male

henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
1995 GA at Kansas St.
1996 OL coach Emporia St.
1997-1999 OL coach South Florida (they were an independent at the time)
2000-2002 OL coach Houston (was not retained when Art Briles took over)
2003 OL coach North Texas
2004-2006 OL coach Arizona (brought in by Mike Stoops)
2007-2008 OL coach Illinois (brought in by Ron Zook)
2009 OL coach USC
2010-2014 HC Youngstown St.
2015-2016 OL Assistant SF 49ers (was offered the OL coaching position at Oklahoma St but opted out for the NFL)

So almost every move he made was an upgrade with the exception of maybe Arizona to Illinois which could be considered a lateral move.

At Illinois the O in his second year set the Illinois school record for total yards rushing that still stands. At Arizona, the O had the second highest rush total in Arizona history. What i do remember about his lines here was that we converted almost every 3rd and short and 4th and 1 by running and letting our OL get push. We used to get great push on run plays. that's been my biggest issue with SE is that we seemed to get stuffed on every 3rd and short play. He's a midwestern style coach who believes in power/smashmouth football. Folks can try to nitpick this hire but I believe it to be a good one.

Last edited by henmania; 01-09-2017 at 12:43 PM..
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #37
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
SOS told him that he wasn't ready. He was right. We could have gotten a quality OL coach instead of Wolford. We were left in the lurch and had to settle for less. It was the start of the OL demise. Many people went out of their way to provide support for his son. Many of those subsequently felt taken advantage of. Perhaps to be expected given his job llength history. Hopefully he will do well and stay here longer this time around.
If you know any of these people who felt 'taken advantage of' because they 'went out of their way' to help 'support' his extremely handicapped son could you go ahead and tell them to go &^%$ themselves for me?

I'd really appreciate it...thanks!
LBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Just confirmed ....Wolford is our new Oline Coach...
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #39
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:

And I don't understand the issue with a coach leaving for a promotion. Of course he would leave, and should. It was a good shot that didn't work out. And if he takes another head coaching gig in 2-3 years then great, it means he performed well.

To not want a coach because he may get a HC job in the near future is stupid. We should just fire McClendon and T Rob now just to be on the safe side.

Found this:

Wolford also recruited and gained commitments from six offensive linemen during his time as a coach. While he doesn’t get credit for coaching them, three of the players he recruited went on to the NFL and a fourth was invited to an NFL training camp. Of the other two, one did not qualify and the other transferred as a redshirt freshman.
The five years prior to taking the YSU job every team he was a part of finished in the top 20 from a recruiting class standpoint. He was also listed as one of the top 20 recruiters on a national level by either scout or rival that same year...can't remember which. He has done nothing but add to the recruiting effort every where he's ever been. People looking for holes in Coach Wolf's game are grasping at straws.

I'll go ahead and bottom line it. Coach Eric Wolford is unequivocally understood as being a good and hard working coach, recruiter, leader, motivator, Dad, husband, man...period. Not to mention that his players absolutely love him. There is no other semi-informed opinion floating around out there.

EDIT: Just to clarify...Coach Wolford was part of a staff that finished in the top 20 recruiting classes for the previous five years and was listed and ranked as a top 20 national recruiter by Rivals the year prior to him getting to USC not taking the YSU job. His one year at USC only improved upon those numbers and his reputation as a top 20 national recruiter.

Last edited by LBC; 01-09-2017 at 01:14 PM..
LBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #40
longhaul
Recruit

Male

longhaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudly

I put the expectation on him sooner than later, not in recruiting, but creating an attitude on our offensive line that we have been missing. I think we have some talent there, but with the exception of Zach Bailey, they just don't seem to have that punch you in the mouth attitude that we need our guys to have. You can watch Bailey, especially when he pulls and see that he likes to hit.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote