CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
Master Bedroom
smoovecock
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
donbgamecock
SanAntonioCock
ccured
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
Felder Arrested (1836)
Grad Transfer To USC (792)
Schedule Preview and (587)
No cable or Dish (515)
RIP EP (347)
Predict the Gamecock (318)
PODCAST: 2017 Predic (115)
Mr. Mercedes TV Seri (53)
Official Countdown Thread
Felder Arrested
2018 - Paxton Brooks
2019 - DeAngelo Griffin
Schedule Preview and Pred
Been away for a while, bu
Predict the Gamecocks' fi
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
No cable or Dish
work around for ESPN off

Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #21
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: Branding

I think this thread has more to do with our current inferiority complex.

But here's the truth. No one outside of the south, and more specifically South Carolina knows a damn thing about Clemson. Their "branding" is unknown nationally.

Your Facebook page is not representative of the national consciousness.

Our branding is fine. In fact it's the strongest it's ever been.

All we need to do is WIN.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #22
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Clemson has some ugly assed gear. Orange and purple doesn't look good on anyone. Garnet and black, you can't find a better color combo.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #23
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Branding has nothing to do with who makes our uniforms.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #24
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Branding has nothing to do with who makes our uniforms.
...Thank You...
Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #25
Gamecock303
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

You want to improve the branding of the program...build an identity on one side of the ball and then build a complimentary one on the other side of the ball. Have a system in place where you can take a kid that you are recruiting and say this is what we are gonna do and this is how you fit into this system. It obviously helps if the system is one that is going to get kids excited about playing in and gives them the potential to put up big numbers and get noticed by NFL scouts.

This is what Spurrier lacked, we had no real identity on offense...it seemed to change not only from season to season, but from game to game and even from half to half (part of the problem was no true play caller). And even then our defense didn't compliment our offense well most of the time. We would go down the field and score in 2 and a half minutes and then defensively play bend but don't break defense leaving our defensive players gassed in the 4th quarter of meaningful games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing fast and scoring quick but I believe that if you are going to do that you have to be willing to take some chances and risk giving up some points to get off the field defensively.

This is a similar concern that I have with Roper offensively, what is our identity? One minute we are trying to pound the ball inside the next everything is run to the outside. One minute we seem like a run first team then we are trying to sling it around. I'm willing to give him little bit of a break considering the circumstances (youth and lack of an o-line) but next year we really need to build an identity offensively.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #26
gamecock1119
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 342
gamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
It's already been turned my friend the masses just can't see it.
Yes! Two thumbs up to this
gamecock1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #27
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot material

I think I read one branding idea in this entire thread. The consensus in this thread seems to be that if we win we won't need branding, our school will sell itself.

This is old school thinking and doesn't really show any initiative to entice 16, 17 and 18 year old kids to come play for your school over the other guys. Which makes me feel like most of the people on this board are really old...
Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 AM   #28
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Drop the block C, which no one can make out on our helmets, and enlarge the rooster logo substantially so people can see our logo.

I've always loved the block C, but mainly for sentimental reasons. No one can make out what is in that logo except under a microscope.

Clemson, Georgia and the University of Texas have the best brand identity based on their logos.

Ours could be nearly as good but we need to break with tradition. We've always been reluctant to do so and sometimes that holds us back.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #29
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Clemson has some ugly assed gear. Orange and purple doesn't look good on anyone. Garnet and black, you can't find a better color combo.
I beg to differ. Their orange is easily identifiable with their university and they have damn near banished the purple component to their uniform and brand, minimizing it as much as possible.

That tiger paw is becoming a very recognizable logo and the orange reinforces it.

Orange stands out better than other colors. That is why orange is used as an international color of distress for those lost in the wilderness waiting for search and rescue assistance.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Switch to NIKE and recruiting will improve. Sad to say, but kids want NIKE swag, not UA swag. Simple as that. That's why Harbaugh was smart to go with Jordan/NIKE for their gear. Black kids LOVE that shit. I would LOVE to see us become an AirJordan/NIKE school.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #31
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

A small part of the answer is obvious, but no one wants to hear or believe it. Our logo needs to change. CU does a great job of marketing things because the paw is simple and recognizable. Plus, unless you grew up a fan of the teams, the idea of having a chicken inside a block letter on display is pretty underwhelming. Something a little more aggressive could go a long way toward changing the overall attitude of the players and fans.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #32
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Drop the block C, which no one can make out on our helmets, and enlarge the rooster logo substantially so people can see our logo.

I've always loved the block C, but mainly for sentimental reasons. No one can make out what is in that logo except under a microscope.

Clemson, Georgia and the University of Texas have the best brand identity based on their logos.

Ours could be nearly as good but we need to break with tradition. We've always been reluctant to do so and sometimes that holds us back.
I agree, mostly. The chicken probably needs to go. A claw and spur logo would let us retain the identity of gamecocks while simplifying the logo greatly and focusing on the part of the rooster that is meant for battle. I feel like someone could come up with a kick-ass version of this pretty easily.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #33
GamecockTaylor
Realist

Male

CockyCash: 500
GamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudly

I'd definitely get rid of our current logo, it's terrible to be honest. I'd actually like to see the tail feather helmets become standard, they're unique but still look great. However branding is a foreign thing to the head people at USC, we could use social media to captivate the many and basically do so much like have Forever to Thee last all year, actually have a hand in design when it comes to apparel not just "Gamecocks" or "South Carolina" hire Justin King or the GamecockHype guy to produce hype videos for games, special edition uniforms and apparel like a completely blacked out uniform with dark numbers helmet etc. We just need to do something!!! We act as if we have history that ties us to tradition when our tradition is mediocrity, As a guy that loves photoshop and designing things... I'd love to sit and talk with whoever is over marketing for outback athletic department, Tanner or The president ... because they don't know what they're doing when it comes to getting this program out there to the masses.

I also know they won't rebrand because of the money it costs to do so, and besides Maryland I don't thing UA has rebranded anyone's logo and over design.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #34
PalmettoPete
Walk On

Male

PalmettoPete has hatched from the shell

I am surprised the animal rights people haven't come after us for "glorifying" cockfighting. A claw with a spur might be deemed as promoting violence..LOL
PalmettoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #35
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPit

Here's our branding.

Splashing every transgression of athletes across the local media, print and airwaves, with the same ferocity with which the national media pounces on anything Trump says, does, or someone accuses him of, while the local pious and righteous fanbase indignantly denounces the athlete.

The university STILL finding ways to keep athletes from enrolling after clearing both NCAA and SEC requirements.

Successful programs do not have this "brand". They find ways to make things happen, get things done; to see the forest instead of the trees.

"All in" is not just a slogan. And if you're above all that, then you have seen all the success you're going to see. Shut the heck up already.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #36
scunyon
I'm here, I'm the one

Male

scunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spurs
Send a message via Yahoo to scunyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Switch to NIKE and recruiting will improve. Sad to say, but kids want NIKE swag, not UA swag. Simple as that. That's why Harbaugh was smart to go with Jordan/NIKE for their gear. Black kids LOVE that shit. I would LOVE to see us become an AirJordan/NIKE school.
And you base this on what empirical data? As a black man, I find UM's uniforms , shoes and as you say, swag, to be hideous.
scunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #37
ThisMr X
Game MVP

Male

ThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scunyon View Post
And you base this on what empirical data? As a black man, I find UM's uniforms , shoes and as you say, swag, to be hideous.
Pretty sure the interests of a teenager and a man differ a good bit.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #38
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

People minimizing this just don't get it. Winning helps, but so does perception.

Here are my thoughts:

1. We need to focus on social media presence. Make people want to follow USC sports. How many people spend 10x more time on TBS or here than ever checking the official site? You can't control a message if no one is listening.

2. A commitment too ensuring the school garnet is on the t-shirts. I mean, even having representatives from the university go to these companies that sell the crap at Walmart and Target and make sure they comply. I'm not sure there's any recourse, but I would make some noise about it.

3. Commitment and possibly re-evaluating the logo. Clemson did this and now their tiger paw and orange is one of the most recognizable college logos. Simple. Direct. Clear. For most of my life until I got into college, I didn't know what the hell I was looking at with USC.

4. I hope they test group these phrases, too. Spurs up looks good on paper, but I still feel like it's much less successful than All In or Gig 'Em or whatever.

5. The gameday atmosphere needs to youthed up. I still see calls for Carolina Girls before the 4th quarter. I'm in my mid thirties, and even to me that seems boring as hell. I could get behind Louie Louie though.

6. Update the stadium. More vendors, more flash and style inside. A DJ. Better sounds system. It should feel and sound like a party in there, not a louder high school production.

7. Ad campaigns. I think this is something missing from Clemson, too, but I don't see why they don't spend more on commercials that run other than just during games. Why not spend a little extra and put it out there more? Plus, with social media, you wouldn't even have to put in too much for the actual spots.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #39
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I like under armor with the exception of their shoes. They are complete garbage. I agree that our logo needs an update. Someone did a rendering of a helmet that had the Gamecock wrapped around the entire helmet that looked awesome. It mimicked Missouri's tiger wrap on their helmets.

I like the Garnet Army slogan and the Beast Mode thing we had going. Not sure if we started Beast Mode (doubtful) but it was pretty cool to see it on shirts. I'd also like to see either a large "Gamecocks" on our jerseys as opposed to Carolina. I think we did this in the early 90's. Maybe we could borrow from Winston Churchill' Never give up/give in speech. It's fitting for our program. Get rid of "Cocks" merchandise/branding. No one outside of SC is thinking about our program when they see it.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #40
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scunyon View Post
No pun intended, but you are in the minority.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote