CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
GoldenSpur7
SwampFox
AndersonCock
MountainCock
AR1
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
Order 66
VERY interesting. E (1973)
USC Bowl pick plus a (490)
Mike Ayers Retires (365)
2019 Desmond Little (327)
2020 - Kevin Swint (303)
CHRISTMAS MUSIC THRE (165)
Official Gamecock Ta (157)
OK...the RRHoF is ju (95)
This place has been (0)
Gamecock Authentic L (0)
Gamecock Authentic Leathe
This place has been dead
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - Jaycee Horn
2018 - KJ Henry
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
tv refresh rate for 4k fl
The Trip to Tampa
COD: WWII
Thoughs On Men's BB At Ex

Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 AM   #1
CBSpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
CBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talons
Default Perspective

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but if it's not feel free to move it mods. I've seen a lot of people bashing Tanner and the Athletic Department over the last few days strictly because Clemson won the National Championship. Let's just forget about Clemson (because even though they are our hated rival, their success does not mean we can not also be successful) and take a look at our athletic department. For this I'm going to be looking at the four main sports.

Football: After 3 straight 11 win seasons, Spurrier stopped putting in the effort, and we suffered putting up a 7-6 season and then a pathetic 3-9 season. We have since bounced back with a new group of fired up and hard-working coaches to have a 6-7 season and currently a top-15 recruiting class. We have a ton of young talent incoming, and already on the team. We are certainly a team on the rise with the 2018 recruiting class coming up in a couple of years having the potential to be one of the best in school history.

Men's Basketball: Currently 13-3, and 3-0 in the SEC, and we would likely be at least 15-1 if Sin would have been in every game. We are in a good spot to make the NCAA tournament, and we still have a lot of young talent, including Beatty coming in next year and transfer Kory Holden becoming eligible to play. Simply put, this is the best position the basketball program has been in in MANY YEARS.

Women's Basketball- Not much to say here. Consistently a top-5 team (even reaching a #1 ranking at one point last year). Coach Staley has built an incredible program, with the next step being a national title. There just isn't much else to say here because this program has been built into such a powerhouse.

Baseball- Won the National Title in 2010 and 2011 and National Runner-Up 2012. Took a step back 2 seasons ago when we did not make the tourney, but bounced back last year and were 2 wins away from going back to Omaha. This year we return a lot from last season and are considered a top-5 team by the national media. This team is primed and ready to make another run for the CWS. This program is also built to have sustained success in the future.

Overall, IMO the athletic department is doing great. Don't let one championship by Clemson cause us to belittle the success of our programs. I know a constant complaint is our football team, but Coach Boom has done everything he could do and more for this program in the past year when you consider how it was left. If you would have told me in November of 2015 that we would have made a bowl game and have a top 15 recruiting class this season I would have been shocked. We have to be patient as a fan base. Just look at how long it took Clemson to get the pieces together. Just enjoy the ride and be thankful that we have an athletic program as a whole on the rise. Go Cocks and Spurs way, way UP!
CBSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
BillyBrice77
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
BillyBrice77 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Perspective

Here's perspective for you, Clemons won the same number of SEC games we did......embarrassing.
BillyBrice77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

It's somewhere the middle guys. Clemson's Success is no way Tanner's fault. Neither is the slide of our football program. We haven't BOUNCED Back yet. We are still pretty bad, just moving in the right direction. He's built our baseball program up and certainly derserves any credit past an future for our baseball success. He hasn't really done much else though. Muschamp hire is all and it's still too early to tell. Also he hired an agency to find our coach and Muschamp was the third guy down the agency's list. Those other programs doing well, don't deserve mentioning. He doesn't have anything to do with those programs. And the facility improvements were in place before he was hired. So thank Hyman and YES, and the SEC Network for all that stuff. He is keeping the ball rolling on some things but he is not really doing anything complicated.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
It's somewhere the middle guys. Clemson's Success is no way Tanner's fault. Neither is the slide of our football program. We haven't BOUNCED Back yet. We are still pretty bad, just moving in the right direction. He's built our baseball program up and certainly derserves any credit past an future for our baseball success. He hasn't really done much else though. Muschamp hire is all and it's still too early to tell. Also he hired an agency to find our coach and Muschamp was the third guy down the agency's list. Those other programs doing well, don't deserve mentioning. He doesn't have anything to do with those programs. And the facility improvements were in place before he was hired. So thank Hyman and YES, and the SEC Network for all that stuff. He is keeping the ball rolling on some things but he is not really doing anything complicated.
They actually won more SEC games than us in 2015, so we are moving up. And Clemson is heading the other direction due to losing a lot of veteran performers, including pretty much every proven star at the skill positions.

This was year one with Boom and he has done a nice initial rebuild. Twice as many wins, three times as many SEC wins. And the great thing is that 2/3 of our roster is Freshmen and Sophomores - and not just bodies, just about every skill position player on Offense falls into one of those two categories, with the majority being true Freshmen. The upside is huge.

We hit bottom in 2015, picked it up in 2016, we will be better in 2017 and still better in 2018. I will buy off with improving our win total in three win increments every year - the pay-off will be in 2019. Dakereon Joyner leading a dynamic Offense and Xavier Thomas as the leader of a lights-out D - book it!
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
CBSpur
Recruit

Male

CBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talonsCBSpur has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBrice77 View Post
Here's perspective for you, Clemons won the same number of SEC games we did......embarrassing.
And could you explain to me how that is Tanner's fault like so many people are saying? Simply put, our entire fall as a football team has been the result of Spurrier and the previous staff being lazy.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSpur View Post
And could you explain to me how that is Tanner's fault like so many people are saying? Simply put, our entire fall as a football team has been the result of Spurrier and the previous staff being lazy.
100% correct.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

I'd like to point out that when Clemson made Dabo the permanent head coach, it certainly wasn't the sexy pick. Eight years later, I guess they feel that it worked out.

For those that still whine about Champ not being our #1 choice or the sexy pick, think how Clemson would have turned out if they had gone with the "hot" coach at the time.

Tanner made the right decision. Now that The Wolf is back on board, this team will start showing signs of our recent glory.

We may not see a dominant team this year, but the following year... oh, yeah.

Greatness is coming...
Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

It's all Tanner's fault that Dabo won it all. Afterall - he's the one that hired him up there in tatertown.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

This crap again?

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Wisercock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Clemson's natty is not the fault of anyone at SC, but it should be a siren call that it can be done and it can be done by the University of South Carolina.
Wisercock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Perspective is realizing it's not life-changing for fans, or for most of the guys on the team. It's a great experience and something we all want to see our program accomplished, but the vast majority of Clemson fans still had to drag themselves into work on Tuesday morning, take their kids to school, get the car from the shop, do laundry, clean bird crap off their windshields etc.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

CockyCash: 5500
PalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPit

I am speaking for myself when I say that I don't watch or care much about baseball or basketball.... So to me if the football program was allowed to be neglected to the point where it goes from an 11 win team one year to a 6 win team the next year to a 3 win team the 3rd year.. then our athletic department lacks accountability, work ethic and leadership and needs a major overhaul. I mean most decent teams were scoring on us at will. And our offense was all but incapable of getting in the end zone. It should NEVER come to that. If I were President of the Univesity the day after 2014 Texas a&M game our beloved Tanner would have been sitting front and center discussing with me what's happening with the football program.

And I think I am correct when I say that as a collective bunch we as current students, Alumni, or anyone in South Carolina or anywhere else who is a Gamecock fan is much more passionate about football then other sports. What I am saying is that football is the favored sport of the masses so if anything it deserves extra TLC. And if the Athletic Department drops the ball on their baby then they suck at their jobs. It's like McDonalds running out of burgers, or Pizza Hut running out of pizza or a grocery store forgetting to stock milk and bread when it snows.

Last edited by PalmettoG27; 01-12-2017 at 11:24 AM..
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
Roosterdog
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

If there is one thing I would like to see come out of their title is this- I hope it is the kick in our program's ass that we need. I hope Tanner and the entire athletic department are motivated to do whatever is necessary to achieve maximum success. Watching that f*cking cheerleader phony of a coach ought to be motivation enough.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post

I would say Ray holds a ton of the blame for the football and baseball programs sliding. He was caught with his pants down with the spurrier situation. And baseball well he hired the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
CBSpur
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
Perspective is realizing it's not life-changing for fans, or for most of the guys on the team. It's a great experience and something we all want to see our program accomplished, but the vast majority of Clemson fans still had to drag themselves into work on Tuesday morning, take their kids to school, get the car from the shop, do laundry, clean bird crap off their windshields etc.
Well yes this is true first and foremost. At the end of the day it is just a game, that is not life-changing for any fan. But I meant by the title of the thread to have some perspective on the athletic department as a whole, and not just the slip of the football team, which was the fault of someone no longer employed at the university.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
CBSpur
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
I would say Ray holds a ton of the blame for the football and baseball programs sliding. He was caught with his pants down with the spurrier situation. And baseball well he hired the guy.

Umm that coach he hired for the baseball team currently has a top 5 team in the country, so if that isn't viewed as a success I think it will be pretty much impossible to please this fanbase (which it is starting to look like that's the case).
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSpur View Post
Umm that coach he hired for the baseball team currently has a top 5 team in the country, so if that isn't viewed as a success I think it will be pretty much impossible to please this fanbase (which it is starting to look like that's the case).

They have a number 5 preseason ranking. That doesn't win anything. If he gets to the Midwest then I'll say it's a success. So far he has underachieved.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post

I don't see how Ray was caught with pants down regarding Spurrier. They'd both been around the University a while and there was undoubtedly a level of trust Tanner had with Spurrier. How he could he have known Spurrier was either delusional (i.e. the impromptu presser to call out our "enemies", insisting we had a really good team) or straight up lying to him? Spurrier had completed 3 straight 11-2 seasons and followed that up with a 7 win season and bowl win after we lost a ton of key players. Tanner had know way of knowing the 7-6 season was a symptom of the staff not recruiting for the 3 recruiting cycles and not just an expected dip after losing some great players. To be sure, NONE of us knew. All he could do was take Spurrier at his word, which was obviously not given honestly.

When the coaching search ensued, by all accounts, we ended up with the only coach who would come here. We were a total dumpster fire and Tanner had little or nothing to sell to prospective coaches. Champ is turning out to be a good hire though. The guy most of the fans wanted, Herman, simply didn't want to come here. The combination of wanting to coach at UT and his fear of competing in the SEC were not things Tanner could overcome.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
I don't see how Ray was caught with pants down regarding Spurrier. They'd both been around the University a while and there was undoubtedly a level of trust Tanner had with Spurrier. How he could he have known Spurrier was either delusional (i.e. the impromptu presser to call out our "enemies", insisting we had a really good team) or straight up lying to him? Spurrier had completed 3 straight 11-2 seasons and followed that up with a 7 win season and bowl win after we lost a ton of key players. Tanner had know way of knowing the 7-6 season was a symptom of the staff not recruiting for the 3 recruiting cycles and not just an expected dip after losing some great players. To be sure, NONE of us knew. All he could do was take Spurrier at his word, which was obviously not given honestly.

When the coaching search ensued, by all accounts, we ended up with the only coach who would come here. We were a total dumpster fire and Tanner had little or nothing to sell to prospective coaches. Champ is turning out to be a good hire though. The guy most of the fans wanted, Herman, simply didn't want to come here. The combination of wanting to coach at UT and his fear of competing in the SEC were not things Tanner could overcome.

He convinced SOS to come back. He should have had a translation plan in place. That's completely on him. He also knew that our staff was lazy. All the golf and fun came back to bite us.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #20
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

You poll 1000 people here and you get 1000 different responses.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote