CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
MountainCock
Spur's Addiction
tcmac08
spurman14
thumpin big
ConwayGamecock
GregoryHouse
BrutusJ
Blitzkrieg
**GAME #2 USC (0-1) (2540)
**USC (13-13) vs. Au (2101)
Kory Holden is gone (1152)
Need some legal advi (530)
Lost My Car Keys (203)
external hard drive (90)
**USC (13-13) vs. Auburn
Well this is depressing
Kory Holden is gone
2020 - Mecose Todd
**GAME #2 USC (0-1) vs. V
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 Football Season - Re
**GAME #1 USC vs. VMI Thr
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
external hard drive for X

Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #21
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Lion vs big game hunter... Lion 1, hunter 0!

How about coyotes?
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #22
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
How about coyotes?
Shot on sight!
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
I really have no time for trophy hunters and especially poachers of big, exotic game.

There are already enough problems with these animals welfare, that we don't need people killing them for selfish reasons. When they are gone, they are gone.

And yes, a trophy hunter was eaten by Lions a few weeks ago, as well.

I know some here are won't agree with this, but I also saw where a man shot and killed a 500lb black Bear in Greenville co. I don't agree with that, either, regardless if it was legal are not. The animal had no history of violence towards humans. We are far more of a threat to them, than they are to us.

If you go out in an area where there is known to be dangerous wild animals, you become the hunted, too.

Take a camera next time and you'll impress me with beautiful pics and the fact there was no harm to the animals.
If he harvested the meat and used/sold the pelt, I don't have much problem with it. If he shot it, took a picture and left it, that is wanton waste and he should be fined and lose his licence to hunt.

There is a big black that lives up near my in-laws in Anderson CO, So far it hasn't caused any trouble but if it starts killing cattle or getting into the chickens, it won't be long before it's turned into stew.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #24
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 35001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
How about coyotes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Shot on sight!
As a biologist, I consider Coyotes, outside of their historic range, an invasive species. I don't have any problems with taking them. I do, however, have a bit of a problem with exterminating them simply because of their negative interactions where we run non-native livestock over their previously native territory. (Unknown to many, the federal government spends roughly $100 Million a year killing "nuisance" wildlife (including predator animals). Much of this money is spent to eliminate conflict between ranchers grazing their animals on federal land. It's a massive government subsidiary that is largely unknown.)

To some this might seem a contradiction, but it's not. Yellowstone wolves were a native species that was reintroduced to restore balance to that ecosystem. Coyotes are a non-native species that is causing havoc with ecosystems outside of their native range.

It's all a very complicated issue and I don't begin to understand it all.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
As a biologist, I consider Coyotes, outside of their historic range, an invasive species. I don't have any problems with taking them. I do, however, have a bit of a problem with exterminating them simply because of their negative interactions where we run non-native livestock over their previously native territory. (Unknown to many, the federal government spends roughly $100 Million a year killing "nuisance" wildlife (including predator animals). Much of this money is spent to eliminate conflict between ranchers grazing their animals on federal land. It's a massive government subsidiary that is largely unknown.)

To some this might seem a contradiction, but it's not. Yellowstone wolves were a native species that was reintroduced to restore balance to that ecosystem. Coyotes are a non-native species that is causing havoc with ecosystems outside of their native range.

It's all a very complicated issue and I don't begin to understand it all.
It really is a complicated issue. Most people's issues with coyotes are from a homeowner perspective, they really can cause major issues. I also understand they are carnivores doing what carnivores do. But, when it comes down to it, I like my dog better than a coyote.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
It really is a complicated issue. Most people's issues with coyotes are from a homeowner perspective, they really can cause major issues. I also understand they are carnivores doing what carnivores do. But, when it comes down to it, I like my dog better than a coyote.
And it's different eastern forests than the great plains, the inter-mountain west and southwest deserts where they are native.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #27
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
And it's different eastern forests than the great plains, the inter-mountain west and southwest deserts where they are native.
Isn't there also a northern species? They are more wolf-like if I am remembering right.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Isn't there also a northern species? They are more wolf-like if I am remembering right.
Most like wolf/coyote hybrids as they do interbreed.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #29
SwampFox
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Quote:
Except coyotes, kill em all.
Not to mention feral hogs. Those damn things do a lot of damage to crops and yards. We even had one tearing up lawns in our neighborhood, but it was removed, processed, and the meat turned over to feed homeless.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #30
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 899700
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

We have a big coyote problem in Lexington, especially near my farm. They have been killing my chickens of late, so I have been hunting and trapping them in return. They are no good for the ecology of anywhere that I know of. Never heard of a Pro Team in any sport named ... The Coyotes. Or College for that matter, though admittedly, I have not researched that thoroughly.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #31
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11840
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
If he harvested the meat and used/sold the pelt, I don't have much problem with it. If he shot it, took a picture and left it, that is wanton waste and he should be fined and lose his licence to hunt.

There is a big black that lives up near my in-laws in Anderson CO, So far it hasn't caused any trouble but if it starts killing cattle or getting into the chickens, it won't be long before it's turned into stew.
He wouldn't be that close to civilisation if he didn't have to be. It's not the bears fault. If we humans are going to reside in their habitat, we should do everything humanly possible to keep them and us, safe from harm. It's not rocket science.

Black Bears do everything they can to avoid human contact. Only when they feel threatened, will they attack. When they are forced into human habitat, they will naturally look for food.

I have spent hundreds of nights in forests where Bears are known to be and I was never armed with anything more than a six inch case knife. And that wasn't meant for self defense. I loved seeing big game in the wild. I never had a problem. And I never wish I could have killed it...

Who the hell needs hundreds of pounds of bear meat in their freezer?

Last edited by Y Formation; 02-14-2018 at 08:51 PM..
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #32
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Most like wolf/coyote hybrids as they do interbreed.
Quote:
There is the red wolf, but itís nearly extinct except for a small area of NC.

Coyotes are just taking advantage of the void left by the red wolf
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #33
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
He wouldn't be that close to civilisation if he didn't have to be. It's not the bears fault. If we humans are going to reside in their habitat, we should do everything humanly possible to keep them and us, safe from harm. It's not rocket science.

Black Bears do everything they can to avoid human contact. Only when they feel threatened, will they attack. When they are forced into human habitat, they will naturally look for food.

I have spent hundreds of nights in forests where Bears are known to be and I was never armed with anything more than a six inch case knife. And that wasn't meant for self defense. I loved seeing big game in the wild. I never had a problem. And I never wish I could have killed it...

Who the hell needs hundreds of pounds of bear meat in their freezer?
People who rely on game to feed their families? Maybe he donated some of the meat?

I get it, people have different thoughts on hunting, but if its done legally and respectfully, no issues with it.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #34
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
People who rely on game to feed their families? Maybe he donated some of the meat?

I get it, people have different thoughts on hunting, but if its done legally and respectfully, no issues with it.
I do have different thoughts on hunting, but I have no problem with hunting, realistically. I know there was a new law that abled the young man to kill bear where he was hunting, but I think common sense should prevail when you shoot a large creature that had been living in the region for many years. I would have passed up on the shot and kept trying to get the Buck. The shooter said himself they had seen pictures from their cameras of the Big bear and Bucks, and he was getting frustrated of leasing this land and not getting a good look at a Buck, then the Bear walked by at Dusk...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #35
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

You bring up a good point.

What did he do with the Bear? How did he retrieve it from the area?

Did he save the meat?