CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
COCKYWOOD
FurmanCock
rabid cock
JerseyBird
kick_ball
Blitzkrieg
rt3891
EAtMoRTaYtErz
carolina_corpsman
2018 NCAA Softball T (2126)
PODCAST: The Transfe (408)
Colorado...Breck...B (231)
2019 - Zacch Pickens
Tailgate Grill
2018 NCAA Softball Tourna
2019 - Lakia Henry
**GAME #3 USC (31-22) vs.
Hosting as a 2 seed?
Josh Belk
Bianca Cuevas Moorve will
PODCAST: The Transfer tha
2019 - Tra Wilkins

Old 12-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #21
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: ***SPOILERS*** The Last Jedi Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Yeah but the scene they created on the floor before the guard broke it up was the final scene of Luke Skywalker in action. So it had to happen at least a year or so later than when the movie "ends". Hence the "legend of Luke Skywalker".
I would have to pay more attention to the details of that scene they are acting out. However, Luke Skywalker was already a legend. And since there had been nothing about the Jedi since him, they could have been playing out the Luke Skywalker legend thing because that is the last memory anyone had of the Jedi.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I thought this was a different Star Wars. One that pays tribute to the past yet also seeks a new direction. I thought it was deep, meaningful, had a good message, and was a very good movie. I enjoyed the humor (that's real life) and the twists. This Star Wars showed that everything isn't black and white or dark and light. Yet the messages of hope, sacrifice, and giving yourself to something bigger are still there and still resonate with what Star Wars is about.
Many of the truth's we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Yeah but the scene they created on the floor before the guard broke it up was the final scene of Luke Skywalker in action. So it had to happen at least a year or so later than when the movie "ends". Hence the "legend of Luke Skywalker".
Ok. I was thinking you meant significantly in the future.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #24
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Another thought I had on this.

I liked the humor because it is real life. It's how we interact on a daily basis so nothing wrong with this in Star Wars. However, another thing about Star Wars now is that there seems to be a lot less absolute dark and light.

With the Emperor, Snoke, Hux, Tarkin, Vader, etc, the dark was dark. There was no light at all - until Vader turned. Even with the story of Luke, it was always light. Yes he would struggle with anger and the desire for revenge. But ultimately light flowed through him. But even in this film, we see that Luke, with all his light, struggled with darkness in wanting to kill Ben Solo. He was tempted by that dark.

So with this Star Wars, those lines between dark and light are blurred. And like the humor in real life, battling dark and light is real life too. None of us are 100% good or evil. We are somewhere in between and ultimately lean towards one side or the other and sometimes back and forth. Such is the case with Ren and Rey. The conflict with dark and light is something we deal with every day. And I think this new Star Wars and the characters is a more accurate reflection of real life - conflict with the dark and light and how we deal with it every day (even using humor).

If it's ultimately about dark vs light, good vs evil, that isn't so clear anymore in Star Wars. Maybe this disappoints some with this new direction. However, what seems to be dark isn't always dark and what seems to be light and hope sometimes struggles with darkness. And that is real life.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #25
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 1081372276
weatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot material

Quote:
BTW, how does a person from Jakku know how to swim? Please give us more backstory and give her a right of passage somehow. Make her go through the Jedi trials or Jedi temple hunting or something.
I thought the same thing while watching it and it stuck in the back of my mind for the rest of the movie.

I'm also most excited for how they continue to develop Rey and hopefully we get a mostly if not full backstory on her in the next one.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #26
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
-Deep breath-

I honestly don't know what I watched the other night. I don't hate it. I don't love it. For everything I have a gripe about, I can find something that I loved. So these are going to be some scattered thoughts in bullet form:

- I don't like that JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson were not on the same page for this movie. I can also see why Colin Trevarro (sp) got the heck out of dodge for the next film. All of the plot lines and potential plot lines that Abrams created and set up in The Force Awakens were destroyed in 3 hours by Rian Johnson. I honestly have NO idea how Abrams is going to save this trilogy with the 3rd film. To be honest, I am no where as hyped for the last film as I was pre-TLJ. I get that they want to end the Skywalker story line (and I actually am looking forward to a fresh start) but they couldn't wait until the last film to do it? Johnson is getting his own trilogy that he can do whatever he wants in as far as story. Abrams had the entire road map for this trilogy mapped out and Johnson pretty much says "nah" and blows everything up. What are we going to have for a plot(s) in the 3rd film? Rey vs Ben for 2.5+ hours? Poe vs Hux I reckon.

- How come there was never any backstory to Snoke or Phasma? Apparently Snoke is a pretty powerful dude with his ability to connect people with the force but he goes out like a bitch? I mean have absolutely no connection with him because I have absolutely no idea who he is. How long has he been around? How does he know about Vader? Same thing with Phasma. Obviously she is human so give us some backstory instead of running around Canto for 30+ mins.

- Like GregoryHouse, I pretty much facepalmed the Lea in space scene. That was brutal. However, I thought her dialogue with Poe was fantastic in this movie.

- I'm mixed on how they handled Luke Skywalker. I like the general idea they had but I think they really botched the execution. I like how they showed the X-Wing in the ocean, I like the dualing suns as a nod to New Hope. I like that he is a Jedi that has lost belief in the Jedi teachings and became an old hermit. I like that we found out where the blue milk comes from. What I didn't like were the flashback scenes with Ben. A guy that experienced his own flirtation with the dark side, that tried to turn his father back to the light, suddenly had a split second thought of killing one of his best friend's and sister's kid? Wut? I also think there was too much "Mark Hamil" in him when it came to the comic relief. Just...UGH.

- The action scenes in this movie were great. The first battle with the Resistance Bombers, Ben & Rey vs the Guards, the kamikaze Command Ship. I thought all of those were great. The kamikaze shot was one of the best shots in the entire Star Wars saga. Ben & Rey vs the Guards was an epic battle. This is where I hope Rian is involved in someway in Episode 9. I liked what he did there and I actually look forward to his own story.

- I like the little easter eggs to Rogue One and the Rebels series in regards to the Hyperspace tracker. BB-8 saying he has a bad feeling about this. The ocean monster behind Rey when she is climbing the mountain.

- I thought Adam Driver was EXCELLENT. I didn't know what to think about him in TFA and even at the beginning of this movie, but by the end he has me sold now. JJ has got to continue his character development. SHOOT THAT PIECE OF JUNK OUT OF THE SKY .. LOL, Han Solo stays winning.

- I also thought Oscar Issac was great. He is one of my favorite characters in the entire Star Wars saga. Its going to be really interesting to what his character progression as he handles losing Lea and I am assuming will have command of the Resistance. I didn't think he got enough time in TFA but it was better this movie. I expect him to be MASSIVE in Episode 9.

- I DO NOT like what they are doing with Rey. I'm cool with the fact that her parents were junk mongers that sold her for parts/money. That was actually a relief that she isn't affiliated with the Skywalkers, Kenobis, Palpatines as it shows there are other force users in the world and that is the direction Rian is supposedly going in his new saga. But it does not make any sense to me how she is so advanced right now. It would've made more sense for her to struggle against the guards and have Ben trying to protect her. Then she improves her skills as she reads the books that she took from the tree since she isn't receiving any direct teaching. Unless they have something planned for EP9, its always going to bother me how she can do the things she does without any explanation. BTW, how does a person from Jakku know how to swim? Please give us more backstory and give her a right of passage somehow. Make her go through the Jedi trials or Jedi temple hunting or something.

- The Anakin Skywalker blue light saber has had a good run. Think about all of the events that thing has been a part of. I thought it was neat how it broke apart. I mean look who it belonged to originally. A guy that was torn between Light/Dark. It'll be interesting to see if Rey puts it back together or makes her own w/ the crystal in it.

- Speaking of that light saber, CAN WE PLEASE FIND OUT HOW MAZ GOT IT? This is driving me crazy.

- Raise your hand if you thought we were going to see Lando Calrrisian on Canto Bright? Idk, I felt like they missed a golden opportunity there.

- I liked bringing Yoda back (puppet version). That was cool. But I really hope one day we get to see the force ghosts of Yoda, Qui Gon, Obi Wan, and Annakin all together. To be honest, it would've made more sense to me for Obi Wan to appear than Yoda but I'm not going to argue about the results. "Page turners they are not" got a pretty good laugh from me.

- I wish there was more R2D2.

- WHERE ARE THE KNIGHTS OF REN? Its very disappointing how they haven't done anything to expand on the clip in The Force Awakens were they are all standing in the rain.

- Didn't mind the porgs.

- Someone clarify, but the ending with the kids must've been years after the end of the movie right? Referring to Luke Skywalker's legend.

That's all my scattered brain can think of right now. I'm sure I'll dig up something else.
weren't they discussed when Luke was telling what happened...when he said that Ben Solo/Kylo Ren took several of the other students and destroyed the Jedi Temple...were they not Luke's former students. If that is the case, I would have learned to hear what Kylo Ren said to get them to join his side (but this is all theory)
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #27
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
weren't they discussed when Luke was telling what happened...when he said that Ben Solo/Kylo Ren took several of the other students and destroyed the Jedi Temple...were they not Luke's former students. If that is the case, I would have learned to hear what Kylo Ren said to get them to join his side (but this is all theory)
I've read some theories that they were Snoke's guards.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #28
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 48100000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
I've read some theories that they were Snoke's guards.
Would make sense. Those guys put up a pretty good fight against Rey and. En
Old 12-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #29
The Octopus
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
The Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPitThe Octopus rules the CockPit

Quote:
I also think there was too much "Mark Hamil" in him when it came to the comic relief. Just...UGH.
Precisely.
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #30
Gearhead
Fine Tuning..The Future

Male

CockyCash: 210610
Gearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot material

I thought it was one of the worst. The Leia scene in space is just ridiculous.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #31
ultimatetailgater
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
I thought it was one of the worst. The Leia scene in space is just ridiculous.
Yep, it's the 2nd worst all time in my list, just above TPM.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #32
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 17185
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Among other plot holes, they still haven't done anything to make Rey's power believable. No training at all and she is still Kylo's equal, if not a little more powerful. Maybe they'll reveal something in the last one.
I thought this was an awful movie, and agree with pretty much every criticism on this thread, but this^ is my biggest problem with episodes 7 and 8. If Rey was a Skywalker or a force baby I would have grudgingly accepted it, but to learn neither are true ruins the credibility of both movies for me. Not looking forward to episode 9 at all after seeing this disaster.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #33
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 48100000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
I thought this was an awful movie, and agree with pretty much every criticism on this thread, but this^ is my biggest problem with episodes 7 and 8. If Rey was a Skywalker or a force baby I would have grudgingly accepted it, but to learn neither are true ruins the credibility of both movies for me. Not looking forward to episode 9 at all after seeing this disaster.
Part of me doesn't believe Ren was telling the truth about Rey's parents.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #34
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 74000
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
I don't either. It was also said by her or like I can't remember. Seemed to easy probably be something oddball like she is grand daughter of padme sister. Tie all 3 triologies together and make it about padme family line not the Anakin family line.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #35
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

JJ should have done the entire trilogy
Old 12-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #36
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 262
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #37
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
I agree...they are brother and sister and Kylo tried to explore her one weakness by lying to her
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #38
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

The only thing about the movie that interests me is that Ben told Rey that he saw her future and she turns bad, and she told him that she saw his future and he turns good. If they follow that out, it would be a major plot twist to have them change places by the end of the next movie. At the end, have Been leading the rebellion, and Rey leading the empire. That would be crazy. Other than that, the movie was blah.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #39
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
I agree...they are brother and sister and Kylo tried to explore her one weakness by lying to her
I think he truly believed what he saw. It's possible it's what snoke wanted him to see
Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #40
SwampFox
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

The real Star Wars ended with Return of the Jedi. The Disney films are sh!t.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote