CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
rt3891
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
ELCID14
etowngangsta
GamecockInHell
cockyguitar
CaptainCock91
ucan'tlickourcocks
AP Top 25 poll (943)
HS football and brai (927)
Yelow Stripey Things (465)
Regarding Streaming (365)
CBS Inside College F (301)
Season Tickets (284)
Regarding Streaming (211)
HS football and brai (40)
Looking for a spot i (30)
2 tickets for sale f (8)
NCAAF: COASTAL CAROLINA @
2019 - Jammie Robinson
AP Top 25 poll
2019 - John Dixon
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
HS football and brain dam
2019 - Jakai Moore
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 Commitment - Joseph
Tavyn Jackson

Old 02-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #41
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Amazon Prime Sous Vide $129.99

Just used our sous vide over the weekend the first time. Did 4 boneless ribeyes with some thyme and rosemary sprigs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper at 129 degrees F for 2-2.5 hrs, then we dried them with paper towels, rubbed them with avocado oil (high heat) and hit them with kosher salt, then seared them to get a nice crust on cast iron skillets at around 640 to 700 degrees on a gas range.

It was phenomenal.

We also used our pressure cooker (Breville Low Slow Pro) to make some truffled mushroom risotto because we had to use up a jar of minced truffles we got from Italy awhile back. They had never been opened and had started to lose their flavor so we added the whole damn jar. It was delicious.

A benefit I didn't think about regarding sous vide steak is that a couple extra minutes in the water bath aren't going to hurt it, and we could pretty much wait until everything else was ready (minus the risotto since that'll keep absorbing liquid if it sits) to sear the steaks, which only took a couple of minutes.

I'm looking forward to trying corn via sous vide. Can't wait for summer!!!
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #42
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Just used our sous vide over the weekend the first time. Did 4 boneless ribeyes with some thyme and rosemary sprigs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper at 129 degrees F for 2-2.5 hrs, then we dried them with paper towels, rubbed them with avocado oil (high heat) and hit them with kosher salt, then seared them to get a nice crust on cast iron skillets at around 640 to 700 degrees on a gas range.

It was phenomenal.

We also used our pressure cooker (Breville Low Slow Pro) to make some truffled mushroom risotto because we had to use up a jar of minced truffles we got from Italy awhile back. They had never been opened and had started to lose their flavor so we added the whole damn jar. It was delicious.

A benefit I didn't think about regarding sous vide steak is that a couple extra minutes in the water bath aren't going to hurt it, and we could pretty much wait until everything else was ready (minus the risotto since that'll keep absorbing liquid if it sits) to sear the steaks, which only took a couple of minutes.

Outside of how consistently good the food turns out, this is probably the biggest benefit of sous vide. I normally do my steaks for an hour at 129, but that hour is pretty much always longer because I get distracted and wait too long to start my sides. From what I've read ~4 hours is the limit for when a steak starts to lose quality in a sous vide. Different meats/temps obviously impact how much extra time you have.

I'm planning on trying a flank steak this weekend. Not sure exactly how I'm going to approach but I'll report back with results. Thinking maybe I'll marinate it for 24 hours then do like a 2-4 hour cook at the usual 129. Maybe sear with the broiler? We'll see what happens.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #43
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:

It was phenomenal.

Damn man that sounds outstanding
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #44
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Outside of how consistently good the food turns out, this is probably the biggest benefit of sous vide. I normally do my steaks for an hour at 129, but that hour is pretty much always longer because I get distracted and wait too long to start my sides. From what I've read ~4 hours is the limit for when a steak starts to lose quality in a sous vide. Different meats/temps obviously impact how much extra time you have.

I'm planning on trying a flank steak this weekend. Not sure exactly how I'm going to approach but I'll report back with results. Thinking maybe I'll marinate it for 24 hours then do like a 2-4 hour cook at the usual 129. Maybe sear with the broiler? We'll see what happens.
The instructions/recipe we were working off of had us do it at 129 for 2 and a half hours. We kind of balked at that since that's a long ass time. They were around 1 lb each so they were pretty thick (maybe 2") and for the first time doing it we wanted to be sure to do it long enough (even though I don't mind a rare steak). I'm hoping next time it won't take so long.

I guess it depends how big of cast iron skillet you've got....or, maybe now you now have an excuse to get an even bigger piece of cast iron! I think tbh that our biggest skillet might be large enough to do a whole flank steak, but I feel like flank steaks aren't exactly flat so broiling might be the thing to do.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #45
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Damn man that sounds outstanding
It was, I highly recommend picking one up on Prime Day in July if you don't already have one.

This is the one we got:
https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...ous+vide+wifi&

It's actually the same price now as when we got it on a Daily Deal back in July. I was impressed with the unit itself and it's easy to operate, since it's just got like three buttons and has just a timer and temp control. What was irritating though was the Bluetooth had a problem staying connected when I was right next to it....like it would connect, disconnect and so on. I don't really use Bluetooth so it might've been an issue with my phone to be honest....I just wanted a timer I could look at on my phone as I did other stuff though. If not for the extra wattage (900 vs 800) I'd just recommend the less expensive model. I'm not sure how much of a difference that extra 100 watts makes though. We did think about using an electric kettle to boil water so it didn't have to heat up much...and then I realized that 129 degrees isn't all that hot, and we got like 120 degree water out of the tap.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #46
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The instructions/recipe we were working off of had us do it at 129 for 2 and a half hours. We kind of balked at that since that's a long ass time. They were around 1 lb each so they were pretty thick (maybe 2") and for the first time doing it we wanted to be sure to do it long enough (even though I don't mind a rare steak). I'm hoping next time it won't take so long.

I guess it depends how big of cast iron skillet you've got....or, maybe now you now have an excuse to get an even bigger piece of cast iron! I think tbh that our biggest skillet might be large enough to do a whole flank steak, but I feel like flank steaks aren't exactly flat so broiling might be the thing to do.
You'd probably be fine at an hour even with steaks that thick. I always ask for my steaks at least an inch and half thick when I'm using the sous vide. Did some pretty hefty sirloin filets the other night actually. Maybe if you want to play it safe start your sides at the hour mark.

Quote:
We did think about using an electric kettle to boil water so it didn't have to heat up much...and then I realized that 129 degrees isn't all that hot, and we got like 120 degree water out of the tap.

The boiling water method is really good if you need higher temps, like when cooking chicken. Obviously don't boil all the water, fill your bath up most of the way and get the machine running and set a pot (or kettle) to boil. Add the boiling water to your less hot water to more quickly bring up the temp of the bath. Obviously make sure you don't add so much boiling water that you way overshoot your temps.

I cook in a pretty large plastic container so this helps me out a lot so I don't have to get so much water up to temp with the machine alone.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #47
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

What do you guys cook a pork tenderloin at? I did 137 and my wife freaked at the pink. next one I did 140 and it was still good but not great.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #48
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

If you cooked for the appropriate amount of time at 137, the pork is pasteurized, regardless of color. No disrespect to you or your wife, but she may not understand the beauty of sous vide, in that it allows you to safely enjoy meats at lower temperatures that provide more optimal texture/flavor/juiciness. Pasteurization is a function of time, temperature and pressure.
Sous vide supplements more time in the place of more heat, allowing pasteurization to occur at lower temperatures, whereas traditional cooking relies on reaching a high enough temperature to instantly pasteurize(approx. 165 degrees). Many people associate color with doneness because in traditional cooking, they go hand in hand, but that isn't necessarily the case with sous vide. Try explaining to your wife that the juicy delicious pink pork is just as safe as the dry, greyish-white pork that is usually prepared on/in the grill/stove/oven.

It is my opinion that pink is the way to go. If you watch any cooking show or competition, pork is served pink and dinged as overcooked if it is grey.

While pork can be safely cooked at 130F (54.4C), many people find the slightly pink color of pork cooked at this temperature to be unsettling. To compensate for cooking to medium (instead of mediumrare), I highly recommend brining the pork chops to break down some of the support structure of the muscle fibers and to increase the water holding capacity of the meat; the maximum water uptake occurs when brining in a 7–10% salt solution, with the chop absorbing 20–25% of its weight (Graiver et al., 2006).

Brine in a 7% salt, 3% sugar water solution (70 grams salt and 30 grams sugar per 1 liter) in the refrigerator for one to two hour. (If tenderizing with a Jaccard, do so before brining.)

Rinse, dry with paper towels and season with Kosher/ sea salt and coarse ground pepper. Vacuum seal pork chops (one per bag).

To cook, place in a 141F (61C) water bath for the cooking times in the Table 5.1. [The chop may be rapidly cooled in ice water (see Table 1.1) and frozen or refrigerated at below 38F (3.3C) for up to three to four weeks until needed.]

Remove chop from vacuum bag, pat dry with a paper towel, then sear quickly with a blowtorch or in a pan with smoking vegetable or nut oil.

Last edited by hank scorpio; 02-01-2018 at 05:57 PM..
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #49
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Typically you can let your food stay in the spa for 4+ hours after the set time with no ill effects. It will never cook past the temp you have set. Much longer than 4 hours and it can get too tender though, almost mushy.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #50
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Definitely gonna grab one of these
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #51
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
If you cooked for the appropriate amount of time at 137, the pork is pasteurized, regardless of color. No disrespect to you or your wife, but she may not understand the beauty of sous vide, in that it allows you to safely enjoy meats at lower temperatures that provide more optimal texture/flavor/juiciness. Pasteurization is a function of time, temperature and pressure.
Sous vide supplements more time in the place of more heat, allowing pasteurization to occur at lower temperatures, whereas traditional cooking relies on reaching a high enough temperature to instantly pasteurize(approx. 165 degrees). Many people associate color with doneness because in traditional cooking, they go hand in hand, but that isn't necessarily the case with sous vide. Try explaining to your wife that the juicy delicious pink pork is just as safe as the dry, greyish-white pork that is usually prepared on/in the grill/stove/oven.

It is my opinion that pink is the way to go. If you watch any cooking show or competition, pork is served pink and dinged as overcooked if it is grey.

While pork can be safely cooked at 130F (54.4C), many people find the slightly pink color of pork cooked at this temperature to be unsettling. To compensate for cooking to medium (instead of mediumrare), I highly recommend brining the pork chops to break down some of the support structure of the muscle fibers and to increase the water holding capacity of the meat; the maximum water uptake occurs when brining in a 710% salt solution, with the chop absorbing 2025% of its weight (Graiver et al., 2006).

Brine in a 7% salt, 3% sugar water solution (70 grams salt and 30 grams sugar per 1 liter) in the refrigerator for one to two hour. (If tenderizing with a Jaccard, do so before brining.)

Rinse, dry with paper towels and season with Kosher/ sea salt and coarse ground pepper. Vacuum seal pork chops (one per bag).

To cook, place in a 141F (61C) water bath for the cooking times in the Table 5.1. [The chop may be rapidly cooled in ice water (see Table 1.1) and frozen or refrigerated at below 38F (3.3C) for up to three to four weeks until needed.]

Remove chop from vacuum bag, pat dry with a paper towel, then sear quickly with a blowtorch or in a pan with smoking vegetable or nut oil.
Yep, that's the obvious benefit. also, still pink on the inside is how tenderloin should be cooked imo. It's not that big of a risk (there's a difference between pink and raw) and if you cook it to the temp that the gov't suggests, it'll be a lot tougher.

Related to this, if you're making something with raw eggs and you're worried about it, you can pasturize the eggs with the sous vide as well.

Thanks for the recipe, I figure we'll probably be doing this sometime this week.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #52
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Yep, that's the obvious benefit. also, still pink on the inside is how tenderloin should be cooked imo. It's not that big of a risk (there's a difference between pink and raw) and if you cook it to the temp that the gov't suggests, it'll be a lot tougher.

Related to this, if you're making something with raw eggs and you're worried about it, you can pasturize the eggs with the sous vide as well.

Thanks for the recipe, I figure we'll probably be doing this sometime this week.
like cookie dough for example, just be sure to pasteurize your flour as well, which can be done in the oven. Don't try to bake it after pasteurizing eggs and flour. I can't remember off the top of my head if the eggs get messed up, but the gluten in the flour breaks down when you pasteurize it, so the cookies wouldn't turn out right.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #53
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

Quote:

Yeah I have explained it to her but she can be a bit hard headed... shocking I know. Do you guys have a good site for cooking times by weight? Obviously a 5lb Tenderloin time will be longer than a 1lb Tenderloin.
I am still a bit new to Sous Vide, but man it is awesome!
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #54
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfsu23 View Post
Yeah I have explained it to her but she can be a bit hard headed... shocking I know. Do you guys have a good site for cooking times by weight? Obviously a 5lb Tenderloin time will be longer than a 1lb Tenderloin.
I am still a bit new to Sous Vide, but man it is awesome!
My assumption is that it's more about how thick it is rather than weight, since it's all about how long it takes to heat to the inside for the correct amount of time.

I'll let you know if I find a general table though, since I want to find one as well.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #55
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
like cookie dough for example, just be sure to pasteurize your flour as well, which can be done in the oven. Don't try to bake it after pasteurizing eggs and flour. I can't remember off the top of my head if the eggs get messed up, but the gluten in the flour breaks down when you pasteurize it, so the cookies wouldn't turn out right.
I've never even heard of pasteurizing flour.

I googled and found this:

http://www.marlerblog.com/legal-case...-heat-treated/

It looks like it's mainly because it's never been heat treated, so to be safe it should be....not that it's really dangerous like many figure raw eggs are.

Also, I love this quote:

"The investigators found that consumption of cookie dough appeared to be a popular practice, especially among adolescent females."