CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks0197
gamecockjay
6pack
Captain9Dragons
GregoryHouse
Dabo Snutz
Ace Dilcock
ccured
PalmettoCockZ71
**GAME #3 USC (25-16 (3720)
Justin Minaya (478)
Ko Simpson and the D (454)
Football Ops Center (404)
Perry Orth Named to (370)
Favorite TV Drama (262)
Concert Misses (262)
2019 - Chris Akporog (212)
2019 - Rodricus Fitt (173)
In 6 hours we can sa (163)
In 6 hours we can say &qu
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
**GAME #3 USC (25-16) vs.
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 - Demarcus Gregory
Justin Minaya
***All Ur Base Are Belong
2018 - Master Teague
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Perry Orth Named to 2017

Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #61
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who starts at cornerback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Yeah, lots to prove. He did lead the team in INTs. And in pass break-ups. And he was 6th in the team in tackles, second in assisted tackles.

But you are right, he was terrible. I doubt he plays at all.
King has a lot to prove. He was inconsistent, intermingling good plays with stretches in which he virtually disappeared.

He's not alone, our entire DBackfield was like that.

Listing his achievements on our defense last year is somewhat akin to claiming to be the tallest midget in the room.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #62
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
If you are talking about the latest reincarnation of KarmaCocky, he done forfeited. His little chart got shot down and he has the sense not to defend it. There was nothing scientific about his method.

Just stating facts, SpaySC. King had a good year for a good defense. Not bad for his first year. Using your logic, there is nobody on the team that does not have a lot to prove.
More accurate with King would be he had a great first 9 games. He struggled against UF, WCU, Clem, and USF to close out the season. So he still has plenty to prove. One game there was no shame in getting abused (Clem) but it was more than just that game down the stretch. I think he could have a huge year but "book is still open" is a very accurate description for King leading up to the season.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #63
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
More accurate with King would be he had a great first 9 games. He struggled against UF, WCU, Clem, and USF to close out the season. So he still has plenty to prove. One game there was no shame in getting abused (Clem) but it was more than just that game down the stretch. I think he could have a huge year but "book is still open" is a very accurate description for King leading up to the season.
"Book is still open" is true for every active player. I am not saying that King could not be better, but he was our best DB last year based on numbers - passes broken up and INTs, the key stats for a DB - and was a strong solo tackler (except when Mike Williams was involved).

I think he will have a good Senior year but he also was solid most of last year. No need to single him out for "a lot to prove" - he has less to prove than the rest of our DBs, based on what he did.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #64
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
"Book is still open" is true for every active player. I am not saying that King could not be better, but he was our best DB last year based on numbers - passes broken up and INTs, the key stats for a DB - and was a strong solo tackler (except when Mike Williams was involved).

I think he will have a good Senior year but he also was solid most of last year. No need to single him out for "a lot to prove" - he has less to prove than the rest of our DBs, based on what he did.
I'd say Lammons was actually our best DB last year, just was more consistent over the course of the season. The stats weren't there but that's because QBs didn't go his way as much because he was locked on his man in coverage more consistently. King's 1st 9 games were great, his last 4 were really bad and that's what puts him as 2nd best DB coming into this season. I'm looking forward to seeing this secondary with the additions of Nixon, Chalmers, and Dickerson which will mean actual depth.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #65
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I'd say Lammons was actually our best DB last year, just was more consistent over the course of the season. The stats weren't there but that's because QBs didn't go his way as much because he was locked on his man in coverage more consistently. King's 1st 9 games were great, his last 4 were really bad and that's what puts him as 2nd best DB coming into this season. I'm looking forward to seeing this secondary with the additions of Nixon, Chalmers, and Dickerson which will mean actual depth.
Lammons was good too, Fenton had his moments at Nickel. I think the DBs are fine - Boom will fix the issues, like getting a little more weight on King. But for all of King's detractors, I was surprised that he was near the top in tackles, and was even higher with solo tackles.

I was also surprised that DJ Smith was the team tackle leader at Safety - he doesn't get much love on here. DJ and Nixon at Safety, Montac and Jaylin 2nd team, Wilder and Charleston 3rd team. Lammons and King at CB, then Fenton (also nickel) and Chalmers, with Jamyest and Tavyn getting prepped for next year as 3rd team. Not sure where Chris Smith fits in - I hope he sneaks into the mix.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #66
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

What our DB's need the most is pressure from up front to keep them from having to cover for what seemed like an eternity.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #67
sully1
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
sully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talons

I think we will be fine in the secondary this year but as Coondog said we need help up front tremendously.

We have to be able to stop the run up front or we will continue to put pressure on our secondary.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #68
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 607328754196
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #69
Pastatroy
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 25200
Pastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his combPastatroy is developing his comb

https://youtu.be/Jf7GNdx2okQ
A little reminder of what kind of ball hawk Kaleb Chalmers could be
Started most of his career at Greenwood, including one year that featured Greenwood finishing 15-0 and a top 100 ranking in the nation.
Also another fact: Kaleb Chalmers has a glass eye.
Yes I went to Greenwood lol
Pastatroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #70
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Lammons was good too, Fenton had his moments at Nickel. I think the DBs are fine - Boom will fix the issues, like getting a little more weight on King. But for all of King's detractors, I was surprised that he was near the top in tackles, and was even higher with solo tackles.

I was also surprised that DJ Smith was the team tackle leader at Safety - he doesn't get much love on here. DJ and Nixon at Safety, Montac and Jaylin 2nd team, Wilder and Charleston 3rd team. Lammons and King at CB, then Fenton (also nickel) and Chalmers, with Jamyest and Tavyn getting prepped for next year as 3rd team. Not sure where Chris Smith fits in - I hope he sneaks into the mix.
He doesn't get much love because while he can play in the box solidly he gets absolutely torched/lost in coverage. I'm really hoping that DJ Smith is a backup because it means our coverage on the back end is dramatically improved. He is a reliable tackler but is so bad in coverage that it takes away from the positive he brings to the table. To be fair to DJ we didn't have a safety who was adequate in coverage last year so it wasn't just him. My hopes are for a combination of 2 safeties that don't consistently struggle in coverage and the incoming class may give us a chance to do that depending on how the newcomers look.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #71
CapitolCock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 574
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Not saying this is going to happen, but I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that Muschamp had Shi Smith line up at CB against a WR, and Shi hung with him and broke up a pass. Then Muschamp turned and winked at T-Rob.

Again, I'm not saying Shi will play CB, but I think it says more about the quality of athletes that we're recruiting that they may be able to transition to a different position if needed.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #72
LawyerLarry
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
LawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudly

If it wasn't for King, we would not have beat UT and gone to a bowl game last season. Double L drunkenly made a thread about King being the man the night of that game.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #73
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Not saying this is going to happen, but I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that Muschamp had Shi Smith line up at CB against a WR, and Shi hung with him and broke up a pass. Then Muschamp turned and winked at T-Rob.

Again, I'm not saying Shi will play CB, but I think it says more about the quality of athletes that we're recruiting that they may be able to transition to a different position if needed.
I think that says a lot about the cornerbacks we have currently if true
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #74
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

If Nixon winds up at Safety, he would give us the cover guy at Free Safety with DJ Smith at Strong Safety to help with the run and cover the TEs. Montac and Dickerson (once he plays a few games) would be pretty strong reserves. Maybe Wilder plays ahead of Dickerson until he get a little more seasoning.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #75
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
If Nixon winds up at Safety, he would give us the cover guy at Free Safety with DJ Smith at Strong Safety to help with the run and cover the TEs. Montac and Dickerson (once he plays a few games) would be pretty strong reserves. Maybe Wilder plays ahead of Dickerson until he get a little more seasoning.
My hope is that DJ Smith gets passed by Dickerson at some point this year unless he steps his coverage game up quite a bit. Him stepping up is not out of the question but if he continues to look lost in coverage I hope we have a quick hook and give Dickerson some burn.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #76
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Stopping the RUN... and some kind of pass rush would help
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote