CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
talon
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Cockygaming
2k15
Flameout12
kingofnerf
Cockhornleghorn
The Yancey
Tyren Jones arrested (1314)
**USC Women (15-1) v (1196)
Success rate at QB s (668)
Mike Leach blasts SE (552)
2019 - Keiondre Jone (477)
2018 - Trey Dean (443)
Where we finished st (411)
Frank Martin respond (381)
WCBB: Mississippi @ (172)
Irrigation system co (160)
2018 - Xavier Thomas
**USC Women (15-1) vs. Ol
Letter to Tanner
Tyren Jones arrested
Mike Leach blasts SEC off
Frank Martin responds to
2017 - Robert Beal - Geor
WBB: 6 FREE tickets for M
2017 Commitment - Jamyest
Ibrahim Doumbia

Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 15198
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material
Default Fine Stereo Equipment

Having glanced at the first three pages of this section, I don't see too much about stereos, mostly gaming devices. However, and I am certain it's mostly an age thing, having noted from other discussions the large community of younger elements, who are perhaps not as interested, there is little discussion regarding stereo systems. But, I will bet that, regardless of age, there are many here that would love to discuss their (or ones they wish they had) sound systems and preferences.

Speak your mind.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fine Stereo Equipment

Huge fan here. I have a few small setup's and am waiting and saving up to build the system that I really want. Last year I tried to start a Mancave thread and didn't get much response either.

Are you talking stereo or HT?

My 2 channel set up is a vintage Yamaha 1000 with KEF K120's (looking to add a DAC) and runs off my laptop.

My TV is also currently Stereo with Aperion Intimus Towers, SVS PB1000 and Pioneer VSK-523 AVR to a 50" LG plasma. (older pic from old house)

Future plans are Ascend Sierra Towers (RAAL tweeter) and Horizon Center, HTM 200's surrounds and preferably McIntosh Pre-pro and amps.

Last edited by carolina_corpsman; 12-16-2016 at 09:51 PM..
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

From what year is the Yamaha...from the 80's? What's it rate...maybe 120 watts per channel?

Looks nice, by the way.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
From what year is the Yamaha?
Not really sure, it was handed down from my dad, Looks to be late 70's early 80's. I threw up a pic of it on my post. Its a solid 2 channel receiver, probably sounds better than my Pioneer.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Not really sure, it was handed down from my dad, Looks to be late 70's early 80's. I threw up a pic of it on my post. Its a solid 2 channel receiver, probably sounds better than my Pioneer.
Actually, in my estimation, and this is not without support, that era was among the best, not only in quality engineering, but in sound quality.

Can you describe how it sounds to you, comparatively speaking?

Also, because I can't see the detail, what is the exact name of the unit, emblazoned on the grill?

Nice cat, by the way...which I had not noticed at first, as I was so fixed on the amp.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Actually, in my estimation, and this is not without support, that era was among the best, not only in quality engineering, but in sound quality.

Can you describe how it sounds to you, comparatively speaking?
Without sounding like a total audiophile snob... it just has a good clean, neutral, sound. I think it is pushing a true, and clean 100 watts per channel (not like the avr's today) and really sounds great on the KEF's. Most of my music is in FLAC, but a DAC would improve the sound for sure. I would like to try pushing my Aperion towers with it at some point.

I have heard much better amps, but they also cost a whole lot more, but considering this was handed down and I snagged the KEF's for $25 at a yard sale, some kids selling their dads stereo equipment and didn't know what they had, I think I am ahead of the game.

"Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Reciever R-1000"
Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Without sounding like a total audiophile snob... it just has a good clean, neutral, sod. I think it is pushing a true, and clean 100 watts per channel (not like the avr's today) and really sounds great on the KEF's. Most of my music is in FLAC, but a DAC would improve the sound for sure. I would like to try pushing my Aperion towers with it at some point.

I have heard much better amps, but they also cost a whole lot more, but considering this was handed down and I snagged the KEF's for $25 at a yard sale, some kids selling their dads stereo equipment and didn't know what they had, I think I am ahead of the game.

"Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Reciever R-1000"
For what it is, and at the cost, it is a decent system. If those speakers are in good condition, having gotten them at a yard sale, you paid about 10% of their value.

I'll add more about FLAC later. That's a more modern innovation, which I have also incorporated.

You can't be an audiophile snob just by knowing or appreciating sound quality.

What have you been listening to lately?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Also, because I can't see the detail, what is the exact name of the unit, emblazoned on the grill?

Nice cat, by the way...which I had not noticed at first, as I was so fixed on the amp.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
For what it is, and at the cost, it is a decent system. If those speakers are in good condition, having gotten them at a yard sale, you paid about 10% of their value.

I'll add more about FLAC later. That's a more modern innovation, which I have also incorporated.

You can't be an audiophile snob just by knowing or appreciating sound quality.
Yeah, I have about $50 in it total in that rig with cables amp and speakers. The KEF's were and are probably 9 out of 10 , Luckily for me, most young people (I do not include myself) see big boxy speakers, they don't want anything to do with them, and would rather have some crappy Bluetooth speaker or Bose cubes.

Personally, for pure music, I enjoy Magnepan's and tube amps, I just do not have the room or budget to run them. But maybe one day.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

As far as music that I have been listening to...

I grew up with BB King, Son House, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Clapton etc. So I always like listening to them. But recently have been getting into jazz. I have a family friend who plays Jazz Guitar in a more avant-garde jazz band so kinda into that. I also like rock everything from Cream to more modern stuff. I also appreciate good choral and A Capella vocals.

What about you? What are you running? Do you get into Home theater at all?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #11
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Yeah, I have about $50 in it total in that rig with cables amp and speakers. The KEF's were and are probably 9 out of 10 , Luckily for me, most young people (I do not include myself) see big boxy speakers, they don't want anything to do with them, and would rather have some crappy Bluetooth speaker or Bose cubes.

Personally, for pure music, I enjoy Magnepan's and tube amps, I just do not have the room or budget to run them. But maybe one day.
Tube amps have a softer sound, that's for sure. A good friend of mine has a system.

If you think those are boxy, you should see mine.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #12
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Tube amps have a softer sound, that's for sure. A good friend of mine has a system.

If you think those are boxy, you should see mine.
They are not super boxy in my opinion, but that's what they told me. They actually said they were going to replace them with Bose Cubes..
Old 12-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
As far as music that I have been listening to...

I grew up with BB King, Son House, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Clapton etc. So I always like listening to them. But recently have been getting into jazz. I have a family friend who plays Jazz Guitar in a more avant-garde jazz band so kinda into that. I also like rock everything from Cream to more modern stuff. I also appreciate good choral and A Capella vocals.

What about you? What are you running? Do you get into Home theater at all?
Shit...pardon my French...I also dig the old blues men and have a decent collection of them...vinyl included. My musical taste is assorted.

I haven't really gotten too involved in home theater, except to a minor degree.

My sound system, however, is a different story.........
Old 12-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Shit...pardon my French...I also dig the old blues men and have a decent collection of them...vinyl included. My musical taste is assorted.

I haven't really gotten too involved in home theater, except to a minor degree.

My sound system, however, is a different story.........
Yeah, I am not the average 28 year old as far as taste in music goes. I grew up in a musical household, and actually had the privilege of preforming with some great musicians as a child. I am also in the market for a turn table and love the sound of old blues on vinyl.

My biggest problem is that I have done gigs with the BSO/Boston Pops and have sang in Carnage hall and other venues like that, I know what a good band/orchestra/vocals SHOULD sound like, and I really struggle to find speakers that can accurately replicate that sound.

It appears that you are in the low country, or I would love to check out your setup and spin some vinyl. What all are you running?

My wife and I plan on building a house and I will do a full dedicated HT with a treated room.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Yeah, I am not the average 28 year old as far as taste in music goes. I grew up in a musical household, and actually had the privilege of preforming with some great musicians as a child. I am also in the market for a turn table and love the sound of old blues on vinyl.

My biggest problem is that I have done gigs with the BSO/Boston Pops and have sang in Carnage hall and other venues like that, I know what a good band/orchestra/vocals SHOULD sound like, and I really struggle to find speakers that can accurately replicate that sound.

It appears that you are in the low country, or I would love to check out your setup and spin some vinyl. What all are you running?
I'm both delighted and impressed that you have discovered the superior sound of well-designed equipment. You would love my basic system:

I have a Marantz 2385, purchased in 1977 for the price of $1,100. I keep my equipment in pristine condition. You would love the vinyl, I assure you; it's the best sound for the system. I recently added a McIntosh C-26 preamp from the same era. My speakers I purchased in 1977 and have kept them up; they also are pristine: JBL L-220's, which cost me $1,760 for the pair in 1978. Also, these were first edition, far superior to their replacements shortly thereafter. These are the best speakers I have ever listened to and recently saw a pair for sale on eBay for $6000. I have a linear drive Harman Kardon turntable, which was $650, at the time.

As I said, you would love the sound quality. My passion in all this is the best possible reproduction of the original sound source.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #16
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I'm both delighted and impressed that you have discovered the superior sound of well-designed equipment. You would love my basic system:

I have a Marantz 2385, purchased in 1977 for the price of $1,100. I keep my equipment in pristine condition. You would love the vinyl, I assure you; it's the best sound for the system. I recently added a McIntosh C-26 preamp from the same era. My speakers I purchased in 1977 and have kept them up; they also are pristine: JBL L-220's, which cost me $1,760 for the pair in 1978. Also, these were first edition, far superior to their replacements shortly thereafter. These are the best speakers I have ever listened to and recently saw a pair for sale on eBay for $6000. I have a linear drive Harman Kardon turntable, which was $650, at the time.

As I said, you would love the sound quality. My passion in all this is the best possible reproduction of the original sound source.
Quality components all the way around. Obviously Marantz Harmon Kardon and McIntosh are well respected. I have heard some newer JBL's and liked what I heard. Do you have any acoustic treatments in the room? It is nice to know other people that enjoy this hobby, most of my friends think I am nuts.

Do you get into headphones at all? I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear cans that do pretty well, but are a bit bass heavy for my ear. Would love to get some Grado's.

I think my next project might be trying to Build some speakers from a kit.

(I need to finish school so I can keep up this addiction)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #17
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Quality components all the way around. Obviously Marantz Harmon Kardon and McIntosh are well respected. I have heard some newer JBL's and liked what I heard. Do you have any acoustic treatments in the room? It is nice to know other people that enjoy this hobby, most of my friends think I am nuts.

Do you get into headphones at all? I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear cans that do pretty well, but are a bit bass heavy for my ear. Would love to get some Grado's.
The house is modest and has no special treatments for sound, however, of all the houses they (the speakers) have provided music for, this room rates second best. Just my luck, as this may be my final place of repose.

I was never much into headphones, just quality reproduction in a particular space.

I'm envious of your experience involving professional association. I too sing and would have thrived in such an environment.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #18
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
The house is modest and has no special treatments for sound, however, of all the houses they have provided music for, this room rates second best. Just my luck, as this may be my final place of repose.

I was never much into headphones, just quality reproduction in a particular space.

I'm envious of your experience involving professional association. I too sing and would have thrived in such an environment.
I made my own room treatments for the TV room, using roxul sound insulation (Found in Homedepot) and 1x4's. I treated the first reflection points and made triangle bass traps for the ceiling corners. They made a HUGE improvement for a pretty low cost, I would really recommend it.

I was lucky and went to a public school just outside of Boston that had a very well known and respected children's' choir, I have gotten to work with big names like Tan Dun, Yo-Yo Ma, Seiji Ozawa, George Lucas, and others. It was a great experience, and I have a friend who made it all the way to Hamilton on Broadway!
Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #19
rabid cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I made my own room treatments for the TV room, using roxul sound insulation (Found in Homedepot) and 1x4's. I treated the first reflection points and made triangle bass traps for the ceiling corners. They made a HUGE improvement for a pretty low cost, I would really recommend it.

I was lucky and went to a public school just outside of Boston that had a very well known and respected children's' choir, I have gotten to work with big names like Tan Dun, Yo-Yo Ma, Seiji Ozawa, George Lucas, and others. It was a great experience, and I have a friend who made it all the way to Hamilton on Broadway!
I am well aware of how sorted improvements can effect sound quality and am, again, impressed with your efforts.

I have only personally heard some excellent musicians in my time, including Joshua Bell, when he was 16, a virtuoso, even then. I was in choir as a child, but only to a locally-respected and trained music teacher, who had a superb ear for music.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #20
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Very nice.... I know there are more Audio fans than you and I....