CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
GoldenSpur7
SwampFox
AndersonCock
MountainCock
AR1
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
Order 66
VERY interesting. E (1973)
USC Bowl pick plus a (490)
Mike Ayers Retires (365)
2019 Desmond Little (327)
2020 - Kevin Swint (303)
CHRISTMAS MUSIC THRE (165)
Official Gamecock Ta (157)
OK...the RRHoF is ju (95)
This place has been (0)
Gamecock Authentic L (0)
tv refresh rate for 4k fl
Gamecock Authentic Leathe
This place has been dead
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - Jaycee Horn
2018 - KJ Henry
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
The Trip to Tampa
COD: WWII
Thoughs On Men's BB At Ex

Old 12-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #41
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fine Stereo Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
I'm glad you showed up, because it looked like the thread was going to devolve into home entertainment systems, which is NOT exactly what this thread was intended for.

You are so right. Of all my sound sources, by far the best is the vinyl; you really lose a lot of the upper range with other sources. I have a Harman Kardon linear drive turntable, and like you, I prefer the Ortophon cartridges.They are more expensive but well worth the sound. Some of the newer amps don't even have controls for midrange, treble and bass, either.

You have some quality equipment. I'll bet it sounds great.
The ortophons are noticably better. In a pinch, the numark's aren't bad, btw. The one thing I really like about powered speakers, is that they have EQ and crossover controls on them. So, you can shape the sound at the speaker. If I'm playing for say 100 people, I don't haul a sub and crank the bass up on the side speakers. More than 100 and I haul the sub and turn the bass down on the sides.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #42
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 21028
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
The ortophons are noticably better. In a pinch, the numark's aren't bad, btw. The one thing I really like about powered speakers, is that they have EQ and crossover controls on them. So, you can shape the sound at the speaker. If I'm playing for say 100 people, I don't haul a sub and crank the bass up on the side speakers. More than 100 and I haul the sub and turn the bass down on the sides.
I'll bet the sound can really fill a room.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #43
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'll bet the sound can really fill a room.
The sub is a JBL 15. The sides are Mackie Thump 15's. I can handle the average size hotel ballroom and 300+ people with it. Interestingly enough, I am doing several Vinyl only parties a year now. The word, or sound, is spreading. I did one in a club last year, using my turntables hooked to the club's system and people kept asking me if the club had gotten a new sound system.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #44
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I would suggest getting a decent AVR (audio video receiver) ($300-$500ish)and some good speakers, should start with just the Left & Right (Probably 500-700 each)and a good subwoofer ($500 and up), then buy the matching center speaker and as time passes save up for the surround speakers. You should be able to run the AVR in stereo for pure music if you like that sound.

Few questions so I can help you a bit better...

How big is the room and is it open or closed off?

Do you mind Floor standing speakers or would you need smaller bookshelf speakers?
This is the conventional wisdom, but I don't subscribe to it. You can buy self powered sides (1000 watts each) and a 1000 watt sub for $300 each. Total $900. Then all you need is an inexpensive mixing device, maybe another $300 and you can hook up 6 different sources to it.
You'll lose the rear channel stuff, but at anything other than low volume, they're pretty inneffective anyway. Pro sound is much more price competitive and you get more bang for the buck. Do yourself a favor and check it out at a Guitar center or similar pro sound store.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #45
smtrgmcock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1200
smtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
What sort of power are your speakers rated to handle, and what is your present amp rating?
Speakers are boston acoustic t830. 100w

Receiver is a Technics SA-GX190. 100w

They're a good match but something is messed up with the aux input so I'm pretty much limited to phono and fm. Looking for something I can connect an aux cable to that also has a phono input.

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the Ortofon Red is such a nice setup though. Really pleased with it paired with the Bostons. Just want to be able to connect my phone/Mac for music I don't have on vinyl
Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #46
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

You need a good stereo doctor.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #47
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtrgmcock View Post
Speakers are boston acoustic t830. 100w

Receiver is a Technics SA-GX190. 100w

They're a good match but something is messed up with the aux input so I'm pretty much limited to phono and fm. Looking for something I can connect an aux cable to that also has a phono input.

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the Ortofon Red is such a nice setup though. Really pleased with it paired with the Bostons. Just want to be able to connect my phone/Mac for music I don't have on vinyl
The only difference between phono and aux input is the signal level provided. Aux devices have a hotter signal level than phono. There are inexpensive devices that can amp up a phono signal in order to connect it to an aux input and conversely a de-amp (attenuator) device that will allow aux devices to be plugged in to a phono input.

Last edited by Jwilson; 12-21-2016 at 11:52 PM..
Old 12-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #48
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 6650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Cool thread!

Early this year I had a little bonus money burning a hole in my pocket, so I set out to build a Dolby Atmos surround setup (9.1-channel) that would also deliver awesome 2-channel stereo, because I watch a lot of movies and listen to a lot of music.

I had some limitations with the room, namely my lovely wife who would not allow the living room to be turned into a pure sound cave, but I found some wife-acceptable solutions.

I got a Yamaha RX-A3050 Aventage receiver which has a function called "Pure Direct" for music. As the name implies, it bypasses all the processing you normally use for TV, although that is an oversimplification. I've been very happy with it for both music and home theater.

I already had a thumping great Velodyne sub so I got new front speakers and two sets of surrounds.

I got a pair of Klipsch RP280FA speakers which have a very clean sound. For HT they have an upward-firing front surround. Wife would not go for forward-facing front surrounds hung from the ceiling, so this was just the thing. For 2-channel music they're very sweet and rich. Not the best money can buy, and not even the best of Klipsch, but I am very happy with them.

For surrounds I put some flush-mounted in-wall speakers in the ceiling, Polk Audio 65-RT. Don't really use these for music, just for surround sound, and they're just fine.

Last edited by SC Sandlapper; 12-22-2016 at 03:40 AM..
SC Sandlapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #49
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

As for me, I'm not dwelling on home theater, but I can dig some realistic background sound in this area. Also, I have not incorporated my system into that. I concentrate on the most realistic reproduction of sound. Actually, with the right room, I could wow almost anyone with the fidelity it offers, but I must admit, it's way more than I need for the room. The fact is, it sounds good even in other rooms.

Your Klipsch should deliver lots of spacious sound, with the ability to separate and articulate all the elements of the music you are reproducing.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #50
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
This is the conventional wisdom, but I don't subscribe to it. You can buy self powered sides (1000 watts each) and a 1000 watt sub for $300 each. Total $900. Then all you need is an inexpensive mixing device, maybe another $300 and you can hook up 6 different sources to it.
You'll lose the rear channel stuff, but at anything other than low volume, they're pretty inneffective anyway. Pro sound is much more price competitive and you get more bang for the buck. Do yourself a favor and check it out at a Guitar center or similar pro sound store.
This is also a valid way to go. The reason I suggested an AVR is that they come with room calibration equipment and for someone who is not super savvy or doesn't understand how to run a mixing board it can be much easier to plug everything in, run Auddesy and then never think about it again, plus it makes connecting to the TV simple, run everything to the AVR and then 1 HDMI to the TV, and one universal remote controls it all. Another issue some people may run into is I don't know of any "good looking" pro audio speakers, I am sure there may be some out there, I just have not seen them. Personally, my wife prefers my Aperion towers because of their furniture grade finish over say the black boxy Kefs.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #51
uscbaseball32
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervoususcbaseball32 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I would suggest getting a decent AVR (audio video receiver) ($300-$500ish)and some good speakers, should start with just the Left & Right (Probably 500-700 each)and a good subwoofer ($500 and up), then buy the matching center speaker and as time passes save up for the surround speakers. You should be able to run the AVR in stereo for pure music if you like that sound.

Few questions so I can help you a bit better...

How big is the room and is it open or closed off?

Do you mind Floor standing speakers or would you need smaller bookshelf speakers?
I would guess my living room is around 30 x 15 and it is pretty closed off, only two doorways off the main room. I have built in shelves, so was thinking a bookshelf speaker would probably work best. I have an older Yamaha receiver that is still working that I paid around $300 - $400 for back in school. The speakers I bought somehow got messed up in storage. My house is wired for surround already, in the back of the room I have two speaker wires coming from the ceiling for two surround speakers that I could ceiling mount. The left and right speakers could sit on the book shelves next to the tv and I have a good spot for a sound bar type speaker under the tv. I've also got some ceiling mounted outdoor speakers that are wired into the living room that I'd love to be able to hook up and figure out how to set them to play when I want them, but be off when I do not. I've been hoping to hook up my turn table, television and get a Sonos system for internet streaming when I've got company over. I appreciate the help, I've been anxious to learn more about sound equipment for a while now.
uscbaseball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #52
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbaseball32 View Post
I would guess my living room is around 30 x 15 and it is pretty closed off, only two doorways off the main room. I have built in shelves, so was thinking a bookshelf speaker would probably work best. I have an older Yamaha receiver that is still working that I paid around $300 - $400 for back in school. The speakers I bought somehow got messed up in storage. My house is wired for surround already, in the back of the room I have two speaker wires coming from the ceiling for two surround speakers that I could ceiling mount. The left and right speakers could sit on the book shelves next to the tv and I have a good spot for a sound bar type speaker under the tv. I've also got some ceiling mounted outdoor speakers that are wired into the living room that I'd love to be able to hook up and figure out how to set them to play when I want them, but be off when I do not. I've been hoping to hook up my turn table, television and get a Sonos system for internet streaming when I've got company over. I appreciate the help, I've been anxious to learn more about sound equipment for a while now.

That is a good sized room, a big sub will be a must. It sounds like you need an AVR with multiple zones, so you are looking at a 7.1 or above amp (check out Accessories for less.com) the big brands that I would recommend are Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz. I would go for at least 100 watt per channel (at least 2 channels driven) You should be able to run the 5 channels for your living room and then use the other 2 channels as a zone 2 for outdoors.

As far as speakers, with a big room, you will need some efficient speakers and if you want them in a bookshelf they should be sealed or front ported. Personally, there are some great brands that can be only purchased online, and generally provide a better product than you can get at Best Buy; these companies usually offer free 30 day in-home trials so you are not obligated to keep them if you dont like them. One of the hot brands right now is SVS, Ascend and Emp Tek also make a great speakers. Alternatively, you can check out Klipsch (I am not a fan personally, but their horn loaded tweeter and high efficiency might be great for a big room). The most important thing is to match the front left right and center speaker, this is called timbre matching and results in a full and even sound stage. Preferentially the rears should match, but that really doesn't make a huge difference if they don't. Sounds like yours would be in the ceiling, so any major brand (Polk, Kef, Klipsch would be fine)

With a big room like that, a big powerful sub is going to be key to getting a real movie theater experience. These should probably be purchased online, as most of the offerings from box stores are pretty limited. I would look at getting one, ported, 12" sub, with the idea of adding a second if you need to. SVS pb200, Rythmik LVS12, HSU VTF-2 MK 5 are all great entry level subs and all run a bit over 500 but will really dig deep (below 20 hz) and give you that boom that you want from a HT.

I know this is a lot of info, feel free to ask any other questions. Also, AVSforum is a great resource, many professional installers, designers etc regularly post on there.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #53
ultimatetailgater
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
That is a good sized room, a big sub will be a must. It sounds like you need an AVR with multiple zones, so you are looking at a 7.1 or above amp (check out Accessories for less.com) the big brands that I would recommend are Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz. I would go for at least 100 watt per channel (at least 2 channels driven) You should be able to run the 5 channels for your living room and then use the other 2 channels as a zone 2 for outdoors.

As far as speakers, with a big room, you will need some efficient speakers and if you want them in a bookshelf they should be sealed or front ported. Personally, there are some great brands that can be only purchased online, and generally provide a better product than you can get at Best Buy; these companies usually offer free 30 day in-home trials so you are not obligated to keep them if you dont like them. One of the hot brands right now is SVS, Ascend and Emp Tek also make a great speakers. Alternatively, you can check out Klipsch (I am not a fan personally, but their horn loaded tweeter and high efficiency might be great for a big room). The most important thing is to match the front left right and center speaker, this is called timbre matching and results in a full and even sound stage. Preferentially the rears should match, but that really doesn't make a huge difference if they don't. Sounds like yours would be in the ceiling, so any major brand (Polk, Kef, Klipsch would be fine)

With a big room like that, a big powerful sub is going to be key to getting a real movie theater experience. These should probably be purchased online, as most of the offerings from box stores are pretty limited. I would look at getting one, ported, 12" sub, with the idea of adding a second if you need to. SVS pb200, Rythmik LVS12, HSU VTF-2 MK 5 are all great entry level subs and all run a bit over 500 but will really dig deep (below 20 hz) and give you that boom that you want from a HT.

I know this is a lot of info, feel free to ask any other questions. Also, AVSforum is a great resource, many professional installers, designers etc regularly post on there.
I second the http://www.accessories4less.com suggestion. Got my Yamaha RX-A1050 for them for 600 less than retail.

Since we've ventured back into the Home Theater stuff I just wanted to say the Oppo UDP-203 is very impressive. It loads the disc in about 3 seconds and is silent during playback. You can adjust video and audio settings to your liking. I'm testing with 4:2:2 10bit and bitstream for atmos at the moment. I demoed "The Shallows" 4k Blu-ray the other night. Movie is crap but the footage looks amazing in 4k and the waves crashing during the opening scenes sound great with Atmos you really feel like you're there. I can't wait to see what Planet Earth 2 in 4k looks like. The original Planet Earth was widely regarded as the best Blu-ray demo material.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #54
G&B
time for a joyride...

Male

CockyCash: 200
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, I have about $50 in it total in that rig with cables amp and speakers. The KEF's were and are probably 9 out of 10 , Luckily for me, most young people (I do not include myself) see big boxy speakers, they don't want anything to do with them, and would rather have some crappy Bluetooth speaker or Bose cubes.

Personally, for pure music, I enjoy Magnepan's and tube amps, I just do not have the room or budget to run them. But maybe one day.
I listened to a set of orginal magneplaners at a high end audio store when they first came out. they put on a master of the beatles "here comes the sun"...it sounded like george harrison was sitting in the room with me playing the guitar. incredible.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #55
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
I listened to a set of orginal magneplaners at a high end audio store when they first came out. they put on a master of the beatles "here comes the sun"...it sounded like george harrison was sitting in the room with me playing the guitar. incredible.
When was this? Magnepan makes some high end stuff. I got the same treatment listening to my JBL's for the first time. I had no idea anything could sound that incredible. They had a specially designed sound room and played a master of Supertramp's Crime of the Century. I was spellbound.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #56
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

If anybody is in Columbia and wants to check out maggies, Upstairs Audio In 5 points has 3.7's (Pretty sure) in a listening room with some Rouge Audio gear.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #57
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
I second the http://www.accessories4less.com suggestion. Got my Yamaha RX-A1050 for them for 600 less than retail.

Since we've ventured back into the Home Theater stuff I just wanted to say the Oppo UDP-203 is very impressive. It loads the disc in about 3 seconds and is silent during playback. You can adjust video and audio settings to your liking. I'm testing with 4:2:2 10bit and bitstream for atmos at the moment. I demoed "The Shallows" 4k Blu-ray the other night. Movie is crap but the footage looks amazing in 4k and the waves crashing during the opening scenes sound great with Atmos you really feel like you're there. I can't wait to see what Planet Earth 2 in 4k looks like. The original Planet Earth was widely regarded as the best Blu-ray demo material.
Yeah, I hope the 205's (when ever they are released) have the same DAC and audio processing capabilities as the 105's I was considering getting a 5 channel amp and using the 205 as a processor until I can grab a better one. Of course, I still have a 1080 Plasma so, really no benefit for me yet.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #58
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
If anybody is in Columbia and wants to check out maggies, Upstairs Audio In 5 points has 3.7's (Pretty sure) in a listening room with some Rouge Audio gear.
It's good to know audiophiles aren't a dying breed and that there are still high end places with sound rooms for the discerning ear. I was going to ask about this.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #59
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
It's good to know audiophiles aren't a dying breed and that there are still high end places with sound rooms for the discerning ear. I was going to ask about this.
He is fairly limited in brands that he carries, but they have some good stuff. Last time I was in there he had Definitive Technology, Yamaha, Rouge, Magnepan, and Grado gear.

Nothing like the shops they had in Seattle... although, I don't think I could afford the connectors that they sold let alone any of the actual speakers.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #60
Mechanical Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Mechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot material

Ive chosen to remove speakers. For my living room i stripped down to the sonos playbar and sub. Pretty happy. Really expensive but is fits what i wanted.