CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
TRBTB
6pack
TastyLicks
2000grad
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
Season parking selec (126)
2 footbal tix for sa (44)
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Football Ops Center updat
Season parking selection
2017 Signee - Keisean Nix
Tim Tebow coming to South
SEC Football Coaches Appr
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Official Baseball Coachin
Kiffen Strikes Again
2018 - Dax Hollifield

Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #61
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fine Stereo Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
This is also a valid way to go. The reason I suggested an AVR is that they come with room calibration equipment and for someone who is not super savvy or doesn't understand how to run a mixing board it can be much easier to plug everything in, run Auddesy and then never think about it again, plus it makes connecting to the TV simple, run everything to the AVR and then 1 HDMI to the TV, and one universal remote controls it all. Another issue some people may run into is I don't know of any "good looking" pro audio speakers, I am sure there may be some out there, I just have not seen them. Personally, my wife prefers my Aperion towers because of their furniture grade finish over say the black boxy Kefs.
You're right about the looks. Congrats you got something your bride likes. Most ladies hate any kind of speakers.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #62
G&B
time for a joyride...

Male

CockyCash: 200
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
When was this? Magnepan makes some high end stuff. I got the same treatment listening to my JBL's for the first time. I had no idea anything could sound that incredible. They had a specially designed sound room and played a master of Supertramp's Crime of the Century. I was spellbound.
I think it was around 1980, they had a tweed front covering over the speaker. They were about 5-6 ft tall and about 2 ft wide but only about 3 inches deep. If I recall they were around $1200 for a pair, which was an assload of money back then for speakers.

ah, yes crime of the century...my favorite ST album. Bloody well right.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #63
2k15
Committed

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162500
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Something to note is not to get caught up in the studio monitor business. Make sure anything you buy for entertainment is just for home listening purposes. Home studio monitors are for working on music production and making clear mixes, not necessarily for casual listening. People get misinformed when they read studio monitors give you the clearest sound out of any type of speakers, but it's just not the same case as entertainment systems

My family uses the Sonos system for home and entertainment listening, while I use Rokit 5's for my studio in my room.
2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:37 AM   #64
2k15
Committed

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162500
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
"what??"

Jokes aside, I love the sound of those. Huge fan of Magnepan as well.

The problem I have with soundbar is they generally sound kind of tinny and lack low end. Those little bitty 8" subs seem to roll off around 40hz.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I'm sure you know this but it really depends on room size and positioning. In a smaller apartment complex room with the sub facing out it could probably provide plenty. Especially at 8 inches.
2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #65
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
I'm sure you know this but it really depends on room size and positioning. In a smaller apartment complex room with the sub facing out it could probably provide plenty. Especially at 8 inches.
Even corner loaded they just don't dig very deep, they are not designed that way. I am also just a big fan of deep chest kicking bass. I have a SVS PB1000 and while it does ok, I am planning on upgrading to some DIY subs when I move.

That being said, even my SVS sub is not really going to go over well in an apartment, let alone the pair of 18" subs in a 9 cubic foot ported box that I plan on building.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #66
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
You're right about the looks. Congrats you got something your bride likes. Most ladies hate any kind of speakers.
She actually picked them out at the store, so there was no convincing involved. Its funny now that she has heard good sound she is spoiled. One time after spending some time at a friends house, on the ride home she said "their TV sounded awful, you should help them buy new speakers..."

Shes a keeper!
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote