CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks0197
gamecockjay
Captain9Dragons
GregoryHouse
Dabo Snutz
ccured
PalmettoCockZ71
**GAME #3 USC (25-16 (3720)
Man In The Mirror (816)
Justin Minaya (478)
Ko Simpson and the D (454)
Football Ops Center (404)
Perry Orth Named to (370)
Favorite TV Drama (262)
Concert Misses (262)
2019 - Chris Akporog (212)
2019 - Rodricus Fitt (173)
In 6 hours we can say &qu
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
**GAME #3 USC (25-16) vs.
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 - Demarcus Gregory
Justin Minaya
***All Ur Base Are Belong
2018 - Master Teague
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Perry Orth Named to 2017

Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #161
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material
Default Re: **GAME #1 USC (23-13) vs. Florida (25-12) Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Greiner and Martin left much better hitters than they were when they arrived. I assume you are specifically talking about hitting. Connor Bright from FR to JR showed huge improvement but injuries and other things hurt his SR season. Hunter Tayor, Matt Williams and LT Tolbert have also developed.

I am frustrated as well, but to say no players have not developed is simply not true. We have players not executing in key situations. That is my biggest issue. It is happening at the plate, but a bigger issue I have is defense. Our outfield is poor defensively. A lot of balls have dropped, including one big one last night that we get to in the past. How many times have you seen a third base coach hold a runner from second on a single to the outfield and how many close plays at the plate have you seen. Our infield is not as good as in years past either. That is something I have a big problem with, our fundamentals and baseball iq are low. Not sure if that is a coaching issue or a recruiting issue, but it is something we have to fix. The 2 hits that scored the game winning run last night are outs with Marzilli in LF and a Mooney at SS.
A lot of our players have made huge improvements during their summer league play.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #162
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Just one fans take:

OUTFIELD
- we miss having a burner in the outfield that takes great routes and can pretty regularly lay out to make SCTop10 type plays. Gone are the days of having a JBJ or even a Tanner English. Speed kills and we are missing it bigtime. The difference in one dynamic catch vs the opponent getting a double has meant the difference in winning and losing a lot of these 1 run games.

MIDDLE INFIELD
- our middle infield isn't bad and they make some pretty solid plays at times, but they just aren't as elite as we have gotten used to. Again, in 1 run losses, the difference between one great play vs giving up a single easily means the difference in winning and losing. We have fortunately been fairly good at getting double plays though.

1st BASE
- given how our season has gone, why aren't we getting Riley Hogan time at 1st base? We seem to insist oo sticking with Matt Wiliams. Even when someone else starts, we seem to put in Williams late in games as if that is some huge defensive adjustment. Don't get me wrong, MW has done fairly good at 1st this season, but having his bat in the lineup hurts us IMHO.

CATCHING
- I've heard for a few years how we have such studs at catcher. Maybe we are just spoiled because of our past greats, but not being able to throw out base stealers is another reason we keep losing close games. I'm absolutely amazed that teams don't steal MORE on us than they do.

LEFT FIELD
- if we insist on Destino hitting because of his power, then why isn't he the DH more? I like Destino and he has improved some in the outfield, BUT he is too slow to be an elite outfielder, which is what we need. As some already mentioned, we have numerous better options....

PITCHING
- our weekend rotation has been as good as advertised. They don't allow many runs, they tend to go fairly deep into games and they give us a great chance to win. My one complaint with our pitchers is that they seem to walk more than they should. Maybe their actual number of walks isn't real high, but it seems that the timing of those walks is horrible. Schmidt, for instance, walked the leadoff man in 3 of the first 5 innings. Walk leadoff man + not good at throwing out base stealers = recipe to lose.

HITTING
- there really isn't much that can be said about our hitting that hasn't already been said a million times. We are just very inconsistent with our hitting and can't string together hits. Until that improves we have to be perfect in the other areas or we stand little to no chance of winning against elite teams.

FLINT PINCH RUNNING
- I'm sure that they just want to give the kid a little playing tkme, but he has pinch ran for us a LOT this year and I honestly can't remember a single time that he successfully stole a base or scored on a hit. Anyone remember that move paying off for us? Even once?
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #163
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCocky81691 View Post
Greiner and Martin were Tanner's boys. Both could hit and pull balls well, but could not hit oppo.
They spent more time playing for Holbrook than Tanner.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #164
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382743
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Is Hopkins still hurt?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #165
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Cortez needs to be the primary LFer. He can't be any worse than what's out their now. Let him get his groove because he will need to be there after this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #166
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHess View Post
Is Hopkins still hurt?
Tweaked his leg again.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #167
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
Cortez needs to be the primary LFer. He can't be any worse than what's out their now. Let him get his groove because he will need to be there after this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Also, if Alex can focus on hitting he may become more effective as a DH down the stretch.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #168
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

The sad truth is that there is nothing to be ashamed of in a 1-0 loss on the road, in the SEC and against a ranked team.

I know that my frustration is more of a collaboration of the year as a whole.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #169
kathym
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
kathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
The sad truth is that there is nothing to be ashamed of in a 1-0 loss on the road, in the SEC and against a ranked team.

I know that my frustration is more of a collaboration of the year as a whole.
Absolutely! The only problem is that the statement "we can get hot
at any time" will be meaningless if we don't get going soon since time's
awasting.
kathym is offline   Reply With Quote