CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Wisercock
TaySC
GeoCocky66
gamecock88
USCharleston2
catdaddy66
Gamecock303
carolinamyke
The Yancey
gamecockclint
Hiring Recycled Coac (1164)
Collard Greens - Who (808)
**USC (1-1) vs. Norf (532)
Time of possession. (500)
Starters and reserve (492)
Scoring offense/defe (310)
RIP David Pearson ak (213)
Gamecock weekly pres (199)
McMurphy's credibili (199)
WBB vs. Maryland Tic (29)
**USC (1-1) vs. Norfolk S
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Starters and reserves vs
2019 - John Dixon
Gametime for Clemson Set
WBB recruiting summary:
Collard Greens - Who Love
Recruiting Spending
Hiring Recycled Coaches
2018 College Head Coachin

Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Where You Get Your Meat From!

Hey guys and all of you that love to grill and cook outside. I have a friend of mine that has his own butcher shop and I have been a loyal customer of his and his premier cuts of meat/pork/chicken for years. I have noticed that when the rare moments in life - when I have to run to a grocery chain to buy steak - pork - fish - or other types of meat - it is just not the same taste or flavor and the price at many of the upper grocery stores is not that much different than what I pay at my favorite butcher shop. So that being said, how many of you out there that cook/grill outside a whole bunch - have a favorite butcher shop or place where you get your quality meat cuts from? Also, how many of you still go to a local grocery chain and get your meats from there?

For my part - my local butcher shop is head and shoulders above anything that I can buy at a local grocery chain.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
uscbrasco
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 103536
uscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPituscbrasco rules the CockPit
Default Re: Where You Get Your Meat From!

I bought my ground chuck for 4th burgers from my local butcher instead of grocery store. Everyone said they could tell a difference.

Their pork chops melt in your mouth. Not heads and shoulders above grocery. It’s loke they aren’t playing the same game.
uscbrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Depends. I have a good butcher on the island and a few excellent ones in Orlando. Lucky's and Fresh Market both do a good job. If I am cooking something that will be heavily sauced or in a casserole or some such then Publix or Winn Dixie works out well.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #4
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

I go to Martin's grocery. They have a butcher shop and actually sell "prime cuts".
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:01 AM   #5
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 9650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Costco for butts, brisket, tenderloin and Ribeyes
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
Costco for butts, brisket, tenderloin and Ribeyes
I just don't want to buy that in bulk. It's a great price per lb but it's still cha ching at the register.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
gamecockfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 6306427
gamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Depends. I have a good butcher on the island and a few excellent ones in Orlando. Lucky's and Fresh Market both do a good job. If I am cooking something that will be heavily sauced or in a casserole or some such then Publix or Winn Dixie works out well.
Does anyone know of a great butcher in the Saint Augustine/Jacksonville area???

I have been recommended to try Tillman's.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockfan View Post
Does anyone know of a great butcher in the Saint Augustine/Jacksonville area???

I have been recommended to try Tillman's.

There's a NY Butcher Shoppe in your area
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot materialGamecock Scott is USC mascot material

Ole Timey Meat Market in South Congaree
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 244549779341
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott View Post
Ole Timey Meat Market in South Congaree
Also one in Camden. I like their bulk meat deals... 5-10# of chicken, pork, beef, sausage, etc.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Hey guys and all of you that love to grill and cook outside. I have a friend of mine that has his own butcher shop and I have been a loyal customer of his and his premier cuts of meat/pork/chicken for years. I have noticed that when the rare moments in life - when I have to run to a grocery chain to buy steak - pork - fish - or other types of meat - it is just not the same taste or flavor and the price at many of the upper grocery stores is not that much different than what I pay at my favorite butcher shop. So that being said, how many of you out there that cook/grill outside a whole bunch - have a favorite butcher shop or place where you get your quality meat cuts from? Also, how many of you still go to a local grocery chain and get your meats from there?

For my part - my local butcher shop is head and shoulders above anything that I can buy at a local grocery chain.
Wait...you still didn't say where you get your meat from lol
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

I like to get stuff in quantity because we have a big ole chest freezer, so we hit up Sam's Costco, or the US Foods Chef Store that's off of St Andrews here in Columbia. I haven't really noticed a difference in quality. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm cutting my own steaks yet, but that's coming soon!
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 244549779341
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
I like to get stuff in quantity because we have a big ole chest freezer, so we hit up Sam's Costco, or the US Foods Chef Store that's off of St Andrews here in Columbia. I haven't really noticed a difference in quality. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm cutting my own steaks yet, but that's coming soon!
I work on St Andrews road occasionally and drive by that place. I thought that they only carried cookware, dishes, etc... Didn't know they sold food. And at a discount! I will certainly stop by next time.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Wait...you still didn't say where you get your meat from lol

I go to Grice's Butcher Shop on Pine Log Road, in Aiken, SC. The owner Ted Grooms, started out as a helper to Mr. Grice and then later bought Mr. Grice out when he got ready to retire.

Grice's Butcher Shop sells quality cuts of beef, chicken, lamb, brisket, and just about anything else you want. The hamburger meat that they sell is also the best that I have ever had and Ted is a very good "grill master" as he owns a BGE and a RECTEC, so not only can he sell you quality cuts of meat, he can also tell you how to cook it. Just a great guy and he has a very good business going. I also like to give my business to hometown folks when I can and especially when they have a great product like they do at Grice's Butcher Shop in Aiken, SC!
Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
I go to Grice's Butcher Shop on Pine Log Road, in Aiken, SC. The owner Ted Grooms, started out as a helper to Mr. Grice and then later bought Mr. Grice out when he got ready to retire.

Grice's Butcher Shop sells quality cuts of beef, chicken, lamb, brisket, and just about anything else you want. The hamburger meat that they sell is also the best that I have ever had and Ted is a very good "grill master" as he owns a BGE and a RECTEC, so not only can he sell you quality cuts of meat, he can also tell you how to cook it. Just a great guy and he has a very good business going. I also like to give my business to hometown folks when I can and especially when they have a great product like they do at Grice's Butcher Shop in Aiken, SC!
I agree. I got some family from Aiken
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 9650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I just don't want to buy that in bulk. It's a great price per lb but it's still cha ching at the register.
They sell it 1 at a time except butts in s 2 pack
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:35 AM   #17
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

I cooked a "ribeye" from Grice's Butcher Shop tonight on my AKORN Grill and it would have made you "slap your grandmother" as it was just awesome. You can't buy a steak like that from a grocery chain.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

Going to Grice's Butcher Shop in Aiken today. Steak and maybe a Boston Butt for this weekend.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #19
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1714744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
I work on St Andrews road occasionally and drive by that place. I thought that they only carried cookware, dishes, etc... Didn't know they sold food. And at a discount! I will certainly stop by next time.
Yep! They have fresh vegetables, bread, buns, Boston Butts, giant jars of mayo - lol - you name it! Pretty cool place.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

I buy my beef from a local butcher shop that services most of the restaurants. I like it b/c I can pick exactly what I want and how much I need...Once I switched to them, there was really no comparison to the local grocery stores in terms of not only taste but also price
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote