CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
FurmanCock
GregoryHouse
TastyLicks
dreammachine
rt3891
carolina_corpsman
Ace Dilcock
2019 schedule out (1184)
CFN: South Carolina (1017)
Hot Seat Coaching Ra (473)
WBB recruiting summa (387)
2019 MBB - Wildens L (379)
2020 - Adam Chaney (304)
Erskine Football? (255)
Georgia v Auburn 201 (218)
National cheeseburge (153)
2019 schedule releas (128)
Hot Seat Coaching Ranking
CFN: South Carolina vs. V
Which teams does USC beat
Erskine Football?
Bar-B-Que In South Caroli
2019 - Jaquaze Sorrells
2019 schedule out
Josh Gordon
How Good Can Frank's Team
***Women's Soccer 2018 Se

Old 05-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Softball - looking ahead to next year .

Beverly Smith’s team may have overachieved a little during the 2018 season . I’m still trying to figure out how a team with only two .300 hitters scored enough runs to win 49 games . But with good power in the lineup and some timely hits here and there they managed . And the pitching trio , all question marks entering the season , turned out to be very steady and consistent .

While the team loses 4 senior starters , I don’t expect a step back next season . In fact , I think there is enough returning and incoming to inch forward a little more . Here is the list of the four players who signed in the fall .
Karly Heath - outfielder/pitcher from North Augusta , South Carolina.
Madison Owens - infielder from Latta , South Carolina .
Racheal Vaughn - left-handed pitcher from East Coweta High in Georgia
Hayley Simpson - outfielder from North Forsythe high in Georgia

Flo Softball is the only site I know that attempts to rank softball players and recruiting classes . This class , based on these four has been ranked in the 11 to 14 range . However , USC added another top 100 player in the spring - catcher Jordan Fabian of Hanahan , SC . The addition of Fabian probably makes it a top ten class or very close to it . I’ll include a link at the end to an article on Fabian’s situation .

Karly Heath is probably the highest rated player in the class and is one that I think will make an an immediate impact . She is a tall , athletic , left-handed hitter who can run , throw , hit to all fields and hit with power . In other words , the whole package . I’ve seen her play a couple of times in the high school playoffs and in some travel ball games that were streamed . In the high school playoffs last year she hit one of the longest home runs I ever saw a high school girl hit - a towering drive to right-center that cleared the men’s slow-pitch fence behind the girl’s fence . I expect her to start in one of our vacated outfield spots , most likely right field . Heath was also an outstanding high school pitcher , and I hope she gets a chance in fall ball to show what she can do in the pitcher’s circle .

Hayley Simpson is another tall (6-1) outfielder who can really run . She was drawing attention from lots of SEC schools before she tore up her knee prior to her junior season . A lot of schools backed off but USC stuck with her and I hope it pays off . She is supposed to be a true centerfielder and was named Georgia defensive player of the year one season . I’m anxious to see in the fall if she looks to be back close to 100% .

Madison Owens , the infielder from Latta , I haven’t seen play but I’ve heard good things about her . Good speed and power, and versatile enough to play several different positions . According to Flo , at one club showcase she went 11-for-12 with 4 home runs .

Rachael Vaughn is a big left-handed pitcher from Georgia who played travel ball with current gamecock Jana Johns . Left-handed pitchers are harder to come by in softball . I believe she will be the first that CoachBev has recruited at USC . Watching her in some games that were streamed she appears to throw a lot of hard drops and/or curves . Sort of a left-handed Nickie Blue .

The latest member of the class , catcher Jordan Fabian of Hanahan , was originally in the 2019 class . Since USC loses two senior catchers this year , they asked Fabian if she might be interested in graduating from high school early . She is evidently on track to join the team this fall and participate in fall practice . She is a line-drive hitter and an outstanding defensive catcher with a great arm . She may not hit 14 home runs like Alyssa Vanderveer , but she will be better defensively , and long-term I think she will be a consistent hitter .

Here is a link to the officlal USC release on the four who signed in November .

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...110817aac.html

Here is an article on Jordan Fabian .

https://www.berkeleyind.com/news/fab...5e55fa98d.html
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
WayzUp
Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 675000
WayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot material
Default Re: Softball - looking ahead to next year .

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Beverly Smith’s team may have overachieved a little during the 2018 season . I’m still trying to figure out how a team with only two .300 hitters scored enough runs to win 49 games . But with good power in the lineup and some timely hits here and there they managed . And the pitching trio , all question marks entering the season , turned out to be very steady and consistent .

While the team loses 4 senior starters , I don’t expect a step back next season . In fact , I think there is enough returning and incoming to inch forward a little more . Here is the list of the four players who signed in the fall .
Karly Heath - outfielder/pitcher from North Augusta , South Carolina.
Madison Owens - infielder from Latta , South Carolina .
Racheal Vaughn - left-handed pitcher from East Coweta High in Georgia
Hayley Simpson - outfielder from North Forsythe high in Georgia

Flo Softball is the only site I know that attempts to rank softball players and recruiting classes . This class , based on these four has been ranked in the 11 to 14 range . However , USC added another top 100 player in the spring - catcher Jordan Fabian of Hanahan , SC . The addition of Fabian probably makes it a top ten class or very close to it . I’ll include a link at the end to an article on Fabian’s situation .

Karly Heath is probably the highest rated player in the class and is one that I think will make an an immediate impact . She is a tall , athletic , left-handed hitter who can run , throw , hit to all fields and hit with power . In other words , the whole package . I’ve seen her play a couple of times in the high school playoffs and in some travel ball games that were streamed . In the high school playoffs last year she hit one of the longest home runs I ever saw a high school girl hit - a towering drive to right-center that cleared the men’s slow-pitch fence behind the girl’s fence . I expect her to start in one of our vacated outfield spots , most likely right field . Heath was also an outstanding high school pitcher , and I hope she gets a chance in fall ball to show what she can do in the pitcher’s circle .

Hayley Simpson is another tall (6-1) outfielder who can really run . She was drawing attention from lots of SEC schools before she tore up her knee prior to her junior season . A lot of schools backed off but USC stuck with her and I hope it pays off . She is supposed to be a true centerfielder and was named Georgia defensive player of the year one season . I’m anxious to see in the fall if she looks to be back close to 100% .

Madison Owens , the infielder from Latta , I haven’t seen play but I’ve heard good things about her . Good speed and power, and versatile enough to play several different positions . According to Flo , at one club showcase she went 11-for-12 with 4 home runs .

Rachael Vaughn is a big left-handed pitcher from Georgia who played travel ball with current gamecock Jana Johns . Left-handed pitchers are harder to come by in softball . I believe she will be the first that CoachBev has recruited at USC . Watching her in some games that were streamed she appears to throw a lot of hard drops and/or curves . Sort of a left-handed Nickie Blue .

The latest member of the class , catcher Jordan Fabian of Hanahan , was originally in the 2019 class . Since USC loses two senior catchers this year , they asked Fabian if she might be interested in graduating from high school early . She is evidently on track to join the team this fall and participate in fall practice . She is a line-drive hitter and an outstanding defensive catcher with a great arm . She may not hit 14 home runs like Alyssa Vanderveer , but she will be better defensively , and long-term I think she will be a consistent hitter .

Here is a link to the officlal USC release on the four who signed in November .

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...110817aac.html

Here is an article on Jordan Fabian .

https://www.berkeleyind.com/news/fab...5e55fa98d.html
Good info, thanks for posting - I got more into softball this year than any mostly because I caught it on TV more. Hopefully there will be more info like this posted throughout the season ..maybe there was & I just didn't go looking for it... but USC seems to have a nicely growing program & proud of how well our Lady Gamecocks did, looking forward to more in 2019 and beyond.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

Here are some Flo Softball scouting reports from last summer on Rachel Vaughn & Karly Heath . This was from an article on the Georgia Impact travel team .

Rachel Vaughn (2018, South Carolina)
No. 75 Hot 100 2018 Recruit

Rachel is a lefty pitcher who hits the gun in the mid-60s and complements her heat with a devastating change and drop curve. Scouts love how she never gets rattled and has an outstanding mound presence. Rachel has gone 24-2 the last two years at the high school level. She went 15-1 for her Georgia high school this year with a 1.30 ERA and gave up just seven walks in 89 innings. She's also an excellent hitter and batted .419 with 11 doubles and 34 RBIs. The junior plays on the same prep team as another standout pitcher, Kelley Lynch, an Auburn commit ranked #2 in the 2019 Hot 100

P/OF Karly Heath (2018, South Carolina)
No. 40 Hot 100 2018 Recruit

Karly was a FloSoftball 2nd Team All-American and 1st Team All-State selection for her North Augusta, South Carolina high school team after shining both in the circle and at the plate. She hit .500 with 33 RBI and 23 steals and set a school record with 10 home runs. Her pitching numbers were equally strong: 8-1 with a 1.72 ERA and 87 K's in 56 innings. Karly is a 5-foot-11 lefty hitter with great all-around tools. She ran a 2.68 home-to-first at the USA Select Elite Top 30 and throws in the mid 60's with a really good change-up.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107299638593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

I love in North Augusta and have seen Heath several times, she is really good.

We need to improve offensively next year, especially at first and in the outfield
Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
I love in North Augusta and have seen Heath several times, she is really good.

We need to improve offensively next year, especially at first and in the outfield
I think Alyssa Kumiyama will compete for first base in the fall . I would love to get her in the lineup on a regular basis and see how she does . 10 home runs in a little over a hundred at-bats is impressive , especially for a freshman . She's always going to be a big girl , but she has to get some of that excess weight off if she's going to play a position . It would help her offensively as well . Right now she's so painfully slow to first I worry about her getting thrown out from right field .
Alexis Lindsey would be another option . She came in as a first baseman . I wouldn't mind seeing her get some looks there in the fall .
I don't know if Madison Owens is tall enough to be considered there or not . Haven't seen her height listed anywhere .
Old 05-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Blitzkrieg
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Blitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think Alyssa Kumiyama will compete for first base in the fall . I would love to get her in the lineup on a regular basis and see how she does . 10 home runs in a little over a hundred at-bats is impressive , especially for a freshman . She's always going to be a big girl , but she has to get some of that excess weight off if she's going to play a position . It would help her offensively as well . Right now she's so painfully slow to first I worry about her getting thrown out from right field .
Alexis Lindsey would be another option . She came in as a first baseman . I wouldn't mind seeing her get some looks there in the fall .
I don't know if Madison Owens is tall enough to be considered there or not . Haven't seen her height listed anywhere .

Have the GCs offered Andrea Lyon, the State 5A player of the year?
Old 05-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
Have the GCs offered Andrea Lyon, the State 5A player of the year?
If this is the pitcher from White Knoll , I think she's committed to Gardner-Webb .
Old 05-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Blitzkrieg
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Blitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot material

Quote:
If this is the pitcher from White Knoll , I think she's committed to Gardner-Webb .

Yes, correct on both counts.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

I want to know how we let this young lady get out of state. I was talking to someone today that said that she is the best hitter that they have ever seen. She hit for over .400 for the season. http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_...d6eb318d9.html
Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #10
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I want to know how we let this young lady get out of state. I was talking to someone today that said that she is the best hitter that they have ever seen. She hit for over .400 for the season. http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_...d6eb318d9.html
Time will tell . I like her a lot . Saw her hit a game winning home run off a USC commitment the other night . Drotar's senior year , it seemed like every time I went to Hartsville to see Cayla play , Watford would get a couple of hits .
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107299638593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Surprised more players from Union county don't go to big schools, they are a powerhouse program
Old 06-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #12
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Like I wrote above it still blows my mind that we just let this girl leave the state.

http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_...ign=user-share
Old 06-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Like I wrote above it still blows my mind that we just let this girl leave the state.

http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_...ign=user-share
She's not one that grabs your attention the first time you see her . Doesn't have blinding speed or tremendous power . But she can hit . The game-winning home run she hit in her final home game was off USC commit Bailey Betenbaugh . She had a line drive hit off Betenbaugh in the final game to tie the game up too , but Union County was a better team . They also beat Karly Heath's North Augusta team .
She de-committed from CofC very late . Former gamecock pitcher Ashley Chastain is pitching coach at Ole Miss , and another former gamecock made contact with them and got them to look at her . I hope she does well except when they play us .
Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Dallasump
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dallasump has hatched from the shell

My son and I worked the Georgia Athletic Coaches Assn. all star game, played in Carrollton earlier this month. I was blessed to have met Hayley Simpson and Rachel Vaughn at that game. They are both on campus now and excited to be Gamecocks. Let's welcome them to Gamecock Nation. Hayley seems to be over her knee injury and ran free and easy in the games. Rachel pitched well, showing lots of movement and good control. I am attaching photos of them with me from those games. The future is in good hands as these ladies are coming to Carolina to win titles. Good job, Coach Bev, these are fine ladies, very good ballplayers and they're ready to work and help Carolina dogpile in OKC very soon.
Attached Images

Dallasump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #15
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Thanks for the pics . I think all four of the freshmen who signed in the early signing period have enrolled for summer school II . Jordan Fabian will hopefully enroll this fall .
Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #16
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Ex-Latta star Owens already adjusting to life at USC

Quote:
Madison Owens still rotates between hitting softballs and the books – although she graduated from Latta High School in May.
Having signed a national letter of intent last fall to continue her career at the University of South Carolina, Owens is already enrolled there for summer classes with four other freshman players.
“It was like a whirlwind,” Owens said.
Classes, in fact, started there this week.
“We’re not allowed to practice with coaches, but we can use the facilities and use the batting cages and things like that,” said Owens, who was part of two state championship teams at Latta (2015, ’17) and was the 2017 Morning News Softball Player of the Year. Owens also was an all-state and all-Pee Dee selection this past season.
But before summer school at USC, Owens was named MVP for the South 5A/2A/A team in the North-South All-Star softball game. Owens’ MVP trophy was even presented by Ava Rogers, daughter of the late Michael Rogers. Rogers coached Latta’s softball team for 22 seasons, winning 345 games and leading his Vikings to five Class A state finals until his 2012 retirement.
http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_...36b223d78.html
Old 06-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Ex-Latta star Owens already adjusting to life at USC

http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_...36b223d78.html
Hope she gets the hamstrings well soon . That can be tough to heal sometimes . I would also like to add that it's great to have this forum back . This forum and the Proving Ground's basketball section are my favorite parts of Cockytalk . There has been some talk about reorganizing the site and I certainly hope those two forums survive . I would hate to have to wade through hundreds of football posts every time I wanted to check on an " other sports " thread , not to mention it's great being able to avoid the jerks who can't resist posting " who cares about softball ( or whatever ) " . Hopefully there is enough activity here for this forum to survive .
Old 06-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

GaCocky has hatched from the shell

We are in play for a transfer pitcher. Shannon Saile from FIU visited here. She has been to USC , Alabama, UGA and is visiting Arkansas and Oklahoma. Supposed to make a decision around mid July. We have a very good staff but she would make it a elite staff.
GaCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #19
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaCocky View Post
We are in play for a transfer pitcher. Shannon Saile from FIU visited here. She has been to USC , Alabama, UGA and is visiting Arkansas and Oklahoma. Supposed to make a decision around mid July. We have a very good staff but she would make it a elite staff.
We played at FIU this past season so hopefully our coaching staff got a good look at her.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #20
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

GaCocky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
We played at FIU this past season so hopefully our coaching staff got a good look at her.
She beat us and Florida last year. They got a good look. Hopefully they made a good impression on her during her visit.
GaCocky is offline   Reply With Quote