CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Master Bedroom
sporkgod50
TastyLicks
TaySC
Ace Dilcock
CockNJersey
BringBackGarcia
CapitolCock
SanAntonioCock
Justin Fields to Tra (2490)
Facilities (1028)
Muschamp: the anti- (641)
Getting Paid. (623)
Gamecocks on TV (579)
2020 Charlie Spegal (551)
Didn't catch the lat (253)
Hey Y'all...Penny Ma (153)
Football staff raise (122)
2020 Charlie Spegal (0)
Facilities
Getting Paid.
Muschamp: the anti-Spurr
Justin Fields to Transfer
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2018 College Head Coachin
2020 Charlie Spegal
2020 - Alex Huntley
2019 - DJ Williams

Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
dreammachine
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Scott's Bar-B-Que/Lewis Bar-B-Que

I saw on the TV Series "Man/Fire/Food" where they did show about Bar-B-Que on two different places in Charleston, SC. One was "Rodney Scott's Bar-B-Que and the other one was "Lewis Bar-B-Que", which I think is more of a Texas/Carolina Style of Que. Has any of our readers had the pleasure of eating at either one in Charleston yet? I try to get to Charleston as much as I can and would like to try these two different styles of Que out to see if they would become a regular place for me to eat at.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Frosty
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 69920200
Frosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot material
Default Re: Scott's Bar-B-Que/Lewis Bar-B-Que

Lewis' is top notch. The Brisket is really good. They don't have your typical southern sides either. What I like about Lewis' is the ability to order amounts to your liking. They have meat cutters and everything can be done by weight, Our usual order is as follows:
2 slices of fatty brisket
1 slice of Turkey
1 sausage link
2 rib bones
Corn pudding/ Cole slaw

They serve it all on one tray and you eat "family style".
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
darthtripous
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 505
darthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot material

Scott’s is the best whole hog bbq on the planet. Charleston is not really a great description of where it is at. It is in Hemingway. If you make it take cash, and be prepared to stand in line. Since all this food network coverage there are a lot of Yankees and hipsters showing up. I’ve gone in there got my food immediately, but I’ve waited as long as three hours. It is worth the wait, and there is only a table or two to sit at so you’ll probably eat the bbq elsewhere.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I've never been to Lewis', but if it's "Texas style" at all, then it can't be compared to Scott's. Scott's does one thing all day every day, and that's whole hog ........ and it's PHENOMENAL!

As for Darth's comment above, the original location (which you have to go to and see for yourself) is in Hemmingway, but they just opened another location on King's St in downtown Charleston. I haven't been there, so I don't know if there's any changes/additions from what their main location does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Lewis's is real deal Austin BBQ. He started with Aaron Franklin at Franklin's and I think also had his own place in Austin as well. Expensive, but legit Texas BBQ.

Have not been to Charleston location of Scott's yet, but Scott's in Hemmingway is an experience any BBQ lover should not miss.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
darthtripous
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 505
darthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I've never been to Lewis', but if it's "Texas style" at all, then it can't be compared to Scott's. Scott's does one thing all day every day, and that's whole hog ........ and it's PHENOMENAL!

As for Darth's comment above, the original location (which you have to go to and see for yourself) is in Hemmingway, but they just opened another location on King's St in downtown Charleston. I haven't been there, so I don't know if there's any changes/additions from what their main location does.
I did not know they opened a new store. The original store is close to where I deer hunt. I showed up once with a deer I had just shot strapped to the tray on my suv. I was in all camo, covered in blood and a large deer skinning knife on my side. I freaked out a bunch of Yankees that day.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Lewis's is real deal Austin BBQ. He started with Aaron Franklin at Franklin's and I think also had his own place in Austin as well. Expensive, but legit Texas BBQ.

Have not been to Charleston location of Scott's yet, but Scott's in Hemmingway is an experience any BBQ lover should not miss.

After Franklin's he open la Barbecue which is legit as well.

Having one of the best brisket BBQ cooks (lewis) and the best whole hog cook (scott) in the same city is insane. Both are excellent places to eat.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
RedneckCPA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 800
RedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPit

I have been to both in Charleston. I went to high school in Texas. I think BBQ should be on the food pyramid as its own food group. So I definitely get BBQ. Generally, I prefer Texas-style over SC-style BBQ.

That said, I think Lewis's is good but it is a little too fancy. The portions are pretty small. The sides are good but more artistic than authentic. The venue at Lewis's is outstanding with outdoor seating, live music at times, etc.

Scott's is quintessential SC BBQ. The sides are spot-on. I didn't try the ribs but the pork is great. The venue is nothing exciting.

I think Scott's is better tasting and definitely a better value.

But my favorite BBQ is always the BBQ on the plate in front me.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
GamecockTyler14
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
GamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spursGamecockTyler14 has earned his spurs

I grew up about a 5 minute drive up the road from Scott's in Hemingway. Haven't made it to Charleston to try Rodney's new place though. The best part about growing up in the Johnsonville/Hemingway area was that there was always solid BBQ around.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckCPA View Post
I have been to both in Charleston. I went to high school in Texas. I think BBQ should be on the food pyramid as its own food group. So I definitely get BBQ. Generally, I prefer Texas-style over SC-style BBQ.

That said, I think Lewis's is good but it is a little too fancy. The portions are pretty small. The sides are good but more artistic than authentic. The venue at Lewis's is outstanding with outdoor seating, live music at times, etc.

Scott's is quintessential SC BBQ. The sides are spot-on. I didn't try the ribs but the pork is great. The venue is nothing exciting.

I think Scott's is better tasting and definitely a better value.

But my favorite BBQ is always the BBQ on the plate in front me.

I can not agree with this. I've had some BBQ that couldn't even crack the list.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
SummervilleGuy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 780
SummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his claws

Scott's is the best whole hog(pulled pork) you probably will ever have, IMO. Lewis' is Texas style and it is awesome too. The brisket is top notch if you like beef BBQ, I'm a hog man so I frequent Scotts has much as I can. I was so pumped when I heard Rodney was putting a place in Charleston, Hemingway was a haul for BBQ.
SummervilleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 150000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

I've gone to both probably 20-25 times each in the last 6 months. I'm a regular at both for a reason.

By my estimation Scott's place is better at sides (except the corn pudding at Lewis), pulled pork, and my favorite thing on the menu- the spare ribs.

I was a brisket denier for a long time, but Lewis's changed my mind. His brisket is flat-out one of the best things I've ever eaten. It's also amazingly consistent, which is increasingly difficult in the current meat marketplace. Lewis also has a sausage (Texas "hot guts") that is really enjoyable.

If I'm planning my last meal I want the brisket from Lewis and the ribs from Rodney Scott's.

Here's two similar articles that probably touch on what was discussed in the TV show:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/22/...south-carolina

https://www.eater.com/2017/6/29/1587...s-rodney-scott
Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 400
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Yeah because he screwed his dad over and that’s why he moved to Charleston. You can’t beat Rosie’s BBQ....
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Yeah because he screwed his dad over and thatís why he moved to Charleston. You canít beat Rosieís BBQ....
Uummm, his dad retired a good while ago ...

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #15
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post

I generally prefer SC/NC style BBQ over Texas but if you ever make it to Houston there are two places you must try. Pit Room and Pinkerton's are two of the top 50 rated BBQ joints in the state. Both make really, really high quality BBQ.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #16
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I enjoy Roger's show. Here is alink to the thread about it.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=232299

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I generally prefer SC/NC style BBQ over Texas but if you ever make it to Houston there are two places you must try. Pit Room and Pinkerton's are two of the top 50 rated BBQ joints in the state. Both make really, really high quality BBQ.
I love all kinds of BBQ (except crappy). Just went to KC and they have some places that are amazing.

I'll add those to my list.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

The Brisket at Lewis' is to die for, but the sides are wanting IMO. Just not my thing, and would prefer traditional SC sides with my Q.

I've only had Scott's once, and I wasn't really that impressed by it. I mean it was good, but I didn't feel like it lived up to the hype. I'm sure I'll give it another go at some point. I'm talking about the one in Charleston. Haven't been to the one in Hemingway.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #19
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
I saw on the TV Series "Man/Fire/Food" where they did show about Bar-B-Que on two different places in Charleston, SC. One was "Rodney Scott's Bar-B-Que and the other one was "Lewis Bar-B-Que", which I think is more of a Texas/Carolina Style of Que. Has any of our readers had the pleasure of eating at either one in Charleston yet? I try to get to Charleston as much as I can and would like to try these two different styles of Que out to see if they would become a regular place for me to eat at.
Roger also went to Hemingway and did a segment there too. I get a lot of places to put on my BBQ bucket list from that show.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

I like Scott's and Lewis is ok. Wise bbq in Clinton and pigout in Inman have them both beat imo.. especially in the sauce category.