CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
CoastCocky
Take-a-Knee
SanAntonioCock
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Gamecocks1137
SwampFox
MountainCock
GoldenSpur7
2017 SEC Tournament: (6766)
Why the NCAA isn't g (430)
Baseball: Vanderbilt (218)
Sir Roger Moore, Jam (210)
At last the Demon is (204)
VB class ranked #26 (161)
Massive Pacific Coas (153)
calling all lawn exp (146)
Rando photo (78)
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
NBA Playoffs Thread
2018 Commitment - Deshaun
Alan Knott
107.5 is terrible
Rando photo
VB class ranked #26 by Pr
WBB Non-Conference Schedu
WBB Asst. Coach Rumors
2017 Roster

Old 04-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #41
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material
Default Re: GAMES LOST WITH JOSH ALLOWING HR'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
FYI to one of the posters above, I am speaking about the program from 1999-on.

I think some are misunderstanding me when I say Supers are the expectation. Just because that is the bar, doesn't mean we'll be there every year. If you disagree with this, are you saying just making the playoffs are the expectation? Because that's the next step down. Do you think that is on par with LSU's expectations? Vandy? Florida?

Over a 10 year period, I don't expect us to make the Supers 100% of the time. That's not realistic. I'm talking about on a year to year basis. Yes, with our program, I consider a season to be disappointing if we don't make the Supers. Will it happen every year, no. Tanner losing to NC State and ECU in regionals was disappointing at the time. Holbrook losing at home to Maryland and not making the playoffs altogether another year were disappointing at the time. They were disappointing because we expected to go farther. That being said, you can still have a successful tenure, as Tanner did, without making the Supers every year.

Please do not quote my post and tell me I shouldn't expect a team to go to the supers 100% of the time in a 10 year period. I don't know what the right percentage is. I'm talking year to year folks.
I am not sure you know what expectation means.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #42
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1657300779460
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

If Tyler Johnson was healthy, this would be a non-issue.

So which coach is at fault for Tyler's injury?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #43
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
If Tyler Johnson was healthy, this would be a non-issue.

So which coach is at fault for Tyler's injury?
JM
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #44
bmwparts
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
bmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervous

"He has given up 4 homers this year in 22.2 innings. 23.5% of the hits off him have been home runs. Compared to 12.5% for Bowers and 9.01% for R. Scott, and 21.4% for Graham Lawson."

Just some stats to digest.[/quote]

I didn't want this to turn into a coaching debate, but there's no way a young man that was a starter for a state championship team "aka Lexington wildcats" gets tired after 50 pitches with the speed he throws and his Tom Glavinish" delivery/mechnics/etc. When 23.5% of your pitches are home runs there's a huge problem, not to mention this home runs are costing us wins!

Thats 4 this year, how many over the last 3 years? I know baseball is a team sport, but if you consistantly have a 2-3 run lead in the 8th-9th you should win those games and if the same pitcher continues to allow big hits/hr's and cost you games something should be done with player, the coach, something??
Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #45
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Our pitching staff seems to give up a high number of HR's overall. We have hit 22 HR's and they have given up 24 HR's.

Adam Hill - 4 HR's in 34 1/3 IP

Josh Reagan - 4 HR's in 22 2/3 IP

Lawson - 3 HR's in 15 1/3 IP

Numerous pitchers have given up 2 HR's.

For Hill it is a little high, but nothing crazy since he is a starter and also has 37 K's and a .226 opponent BA.

For Reagan it is high, but like HIll, he has more K's than innings pitched and a very low .218 opponent BA.

For Lawson it is pretty high and he only has 11 K's in that 15 1/3 IP but still only has a .243 opponents BA.

Lawson will only get better though IMO.

Anyone want to see Brandon Murray stats? His 21.0 ERA and only 3 successful IP is pretty horrid. Add to that the fact that he has the same amount of walks (5) as he does strikeouts. opponents are also batting .500 against Murray.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #46
bmwparts
Blue Chip

Male

bmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervous

terrible pitching & coaching!
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #47
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Just saw this come across my Memories from last year:

Quote:
Bases loaded no outs in the 9th. Josh Reagan mows down the #1, #2 and #3 RBI leaders in the SEC to get the save and sweep. #machine
I've been hard on him this year. But we know the stuff is there. I think getting Johnson back will give him and this team a much needed shot in the arm.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #48
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Actually saw a stat earlier on twitter (forgot who posted it) that said USC is like 20-3 when leading heading into the 9th....

IIRC all 3 losses just happened to be against Reagan.

In the end though, we do know he has great stuff and can get the job done.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #49
Three and Out
Blue Chip

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Tanner got mad lucky alot, including on his run to those titles. It was a fun as hell ride and he had a great mix of players, but his strategy wasnt always the best. We even back then were a bad baserunning team and struggled to bunt. Small ball wasnt our best attribute when it became a necessity. Tanners uncanny ability to call hit and runs though was very clutch, and his defenses/ defensive positioning was always top knotch.
These are the things that win games that don't show up in the statsheet.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote