CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TAFC 5 1981
Captain9Dragons
Ace Dilcock
Tigertime
Blackland
TRBTB
Aekkaa
Cockygaming
South Carolina (1440)
HAPPY TURKEY DAY MY (299)
Star Wars game day t (243)
I stared at it for a (222)
Happy Thanksgiving!! (219)
Mike Leach wedding a (96)
For Sale - 2 Lower L (43)
Clemson opponents avg rec
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
GameDay Kickoff: The play
2017-18 College Basketbal
Mike Leach on CFP
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Will USC Score >21 vs
Can we run the ball?
For Sale - 2 Lower Level
Uniforms vs Clemson

Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #361
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 MBB Zion Williamson (SC)

I suppose I'd be interested to know of situations where a single one-and-done recruit is credited with single-handedly elevating recruiting at a program over the long-term.

There's no argument from me that we should be pursuing him heavily and that he's an obvious take. I just won't view it as detrimental to our program if we don't get him.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #362
USCharleston2
Veteran

Male

CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit

Did Zion release his Top 5 list yet? Any new news on him?

Maybe someone should start a separate thread for "One and Dones"...
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #363
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
I suppose I'd be interested to know of situations where a single one-and-done recruit is credited with single-handedly elevating recruiting at a program over the long-term.

There's no argument from me that we should be pursuing him heavily and that he's an obvious take. I just won't view it as detrimental to our program if we don't get him.
Had Coach Cal stayed at Memphis I would say Derrick Rose would have been one. Memphis was always solid but he took them next level and they came up just short of winning it all. While Cuse has always been a rock solid program Melo brought them a title, Boeheim's only one. UCLA may be insanely prestigious but Alford's job was in trouble following last season after they went 15-17 then the Ball/Leaf combo comes in and they're a #3 seed the following year and Alford has job security which helps him on the recruiting trail. It can obviously be a total waste, look no further than LSU and Washington, but I'll take my chances on it being a waste because if you put a one and done in the right situation special things can happen and I think with Frank here we've got a good situation to take advantage of getting a one-and-done and capitalizing.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #364
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Had Coach Cal stayed at Memphis I would say Derrick Rose would have been one. Memphis was always solid but he took them next level and they came up just short of winning it all. While Cuse has always been a rock solid program Melo brought them a title, Boeheim's only one. UCLA may be insanely prestigious but Alford's job was in trouble following last season after they went 15-17 then the Ball/Leaf combo comes in and they're a #3 seed the following year and Alford has job security which helps him on the recruiting trail. It can obviously be a total waste, look no further than LSU and Washington, but I'll take my chances on it being a waste because if you put a one and done in the right situation special things can happen and I think with Frank here we've got a good situation to take advantage of getting a one-and-done and capitalizing.
Memphis, Syracuse and UCLA all had decent (or great) basketball history prior to each of the players you mentioned.

If Calipari staying at Memphis is a requirement, then that doesn't attribute the success solely to a one-and-done. Also, Memphis was already having success, having made the Elite 8 the 2 seasons prior to Rose arriving. And they had good NCAAT success in years past.

You can't really say Melo elevated Syracuse. Yes, he was instrumental in them winning the title the year he was there, but they'd been in the tournament almost every year for the previous 20 years before Melo's arrival and won a couple titles.

Alford had one down year at UCLA and was in trouble b/c of their impatient fan base, but he'd taken them to the Sweet 16 the two years prior. With the hottest one-and-done in the game this season, they still only made it back to the Sweet 16. So did Ball really elevate the program? With UCLA's crazy history, it's really hard to attribute any future recruiting success to Ball's having gone there. The two 5* recruits signed for the 2017 class, signed their LOIs just a game or so into UCLA's season.

I'm looking for an example where a program was mostly mired in mediocrity (like us), then a one-and-done came for one year, and the program remained elevated (winning and recruiting) after he was gone.

Again, I do not dispute that Zion is a take all day long and could give us one really good year. I just don't see any track record anywhere of a one-and-done having a long-term effect on changing the fortunes of a program
Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #365
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Tough to say that now because the one and done wasn't a thing of past, so a lot of these programs have already been established.

These one and dones are mostly going to the already established programs like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Arizona etc.

It sure as hell didn't help NC State or Washington this year and those 2 guys are top 5 picks.
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #366
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Your argument presupposes that other potential recruits would view Zion coming to USC as a major factor in him making it to the NBA. But Zion is going to the NBA, no matter where he goes. He could go the juco route and still go to the NBA after a season. He could take a year off and work at McDonald's and still go to the NBA. Recruits know that and know that him coming to USC won't be what launched his NBA career.

I actually think him being destined for the NBA is the only thing that really gives us a shot. He doesn't NEED to go to Duke or UK or UNC to get drafted. For a recruit like him, there's no benefit of choosing one school over another, in terms of NBA draft potential. All of this is assuming, of course, that he pans out. Maybe he gets to college and is just a very good player, but not one-and-done caliber.

He would undoubtedly make us better...for a season...and is certainly a take if he wanted to come here. But I really don't see any recruiting impact after he's gone, for the reason stated above, and don't see any great long-term impact of him coming here for a single season. He would get us more exposure for the year that he's here, but that vanishes the moment he's gone.

Also, it's already been mentioned, but if you look at the track record of Kentucky's one-and-dones in the NBA, it's ok, not great. But I know recruits don't think that critically. They just see the fastest way to get to the NBA...and they all think they'll be the next MJ once they get there.

This article provides a good analysis of the real impact of one-and-dones in college:

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/lo...12be1f1b9.html
I think that is true to some extent because Zion is going to attract attention if he goes to Wofford. But the fact is that NBA scouts know that UK, Duke, and UNC bring in more talent and are more likely to have players who can jump to the NBA after one year. So those programs get more attention and Calipari, Coach K and Williams have more contacts. They don't have to win the NC either.

But I agree with you that for a player like Zion the benefit is marginal. I also agree that an isolated "one & done" is probably not a huge benefit to SC. Those other schools have a long history. It also won't hurt us to have a player like that from time to time, but I'd prefer to have a few more Thornwells and Dozier types. It is more fun for fans (and probably coaches) to know they will have a guy for more than 1 year.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #367
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Quote:

I can't think of an example that fits. But, the more great players you get, especially those that make it to the NBA, then it becomes a lot easier to recruit.

Frank is a great coach, but I think the only thing that keeps him from being considered by more recruits, is that there isn't a proven track record of NBA talent, as much as there are good college teams/players.

You look at the women's program, and Dawn is really starting to crank out WNBA-caliber talent.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #368
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

At the end of the day teams with NBA talent win titles.
Yea UNC didn't have a team dominated by one and dones this year, but 5-6 of those players will be in the NBA next year.

Same could be said for NOVA last year, Duke the year before, Louisville, Kentucky etc
Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #369
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Word is Xavier Thomas is in Zion's ear.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #370
Aekkaa
Recruit

Male

Aekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudlyAekkaa is crowing loudly

Quote:
Implying there is any universe in which Zion goes to Clemson?

Not gonna happen. It's either us or a blue blood.
Aekkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #371
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Saying what? Go to Clemson? Their program is a disaster and they just had their only star graduate. Their coach is on thin ice and might not be around when Zion gets to college. If he has reservations about us due to our lack of success, well.....

Maybe XT is trashing us but I hope he is better than that. Or he could be pointing out that Zion can get a nice car if he goes to Clemson. But Zion will be one year away from the NBA - I am sure he could get a loan and buy his own damn car.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #372
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Football is one thing Clemson has over us right now but basketball....nah son....Zion ain't gonna waste his God given talent on those unappreciative hicks who don't give two shits about basketball.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #373
FilchCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
FilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Michael Beasley elevated Kansas state and started a great 5-6 year run for them. Although I'm liable to give Frank Martin more credit for that.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #374
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 10480
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
Michael Beasley elevated Kansas state and started a great 5-6 year run for them. Although I'm liable to give Frank Martin more credit for that.

Beasley and Bill Walker were Huggins recruits. Huggins got it started and Martin took off from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #375
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
Frank didnt recruit him.

Beasleys AAU coach came to K state and hats how they got him.
Beasley was originally committed to UNCC because of that guy.
I love Frank but let's Be correct here
Old 04-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #376
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

I hope Clemson keeps brownell.

I really don't want them hiring someone good like Tom Crean
Old 04-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #377
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 74000
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCocky2001 View Post
Frank didnt recruit him.

This is true Bob Huggins hired the guy the year before Frank was there. Most do believe the reason Martin got the job was because the continuity of the staff and that assistant coach would allow them to keep Beasley. Beasley was used by many and didn't even know it. He sued an agent that paid for his moms rent and car which he didn't know about as well the as the aau team founder who was also a coach. That aau founder was sentenced to prison for 8+ yeas for major cocaine and heroin dealing.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #378
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
This is true Bob Huggins hired the guy the year before Frank was there. Most do believe the reason Martin got the job was because the continuity of the staff and that assistant coach would allow them to keep Beasley. Beasley was used by many and didn't even know it. He sued an agent that paid for his moms rent and car which he didn't know about as well the as the aau team founder who was also a coach. That aau founder was sentenced to prison for 8+ yeas for major cocaine and heroin dealing.
That said Beasley was Big 12 player of the year, A Unanimous all American and the 2nd overall pick.

Seeing as how he is in the NBA. Frank is a ****ing saint for being able to put up with his bullshit.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #379
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope Clemson keeps brownell.

I really don't want them hiring someone good like Tom Crean
Crean couldn't win consistently with Hoosier talent...I doubt very much he could win with tigger talent
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #380
FilchCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
FilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot materialFilchCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Frank didnt recruit him.

Um, I wasn't giving Frank credit for recruiting Beasley. I was giving Frank more credit than Beasley for ushering in a great era of Kansas State basketball, since the issue was whether one blue chip recruit elevated and sustained a program. Just to, you know, be correct here.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote