CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
TRBTB
thekob
Blitzkrieg
MountainCock
TastyLicks
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Ace Dilcock
Spur's Addiction
carolina_corpsman
Phil Steele (1388)
Music Thread: Gospel (244)
Rumored Challenger H (197)
Thoughts on music ge (133)
Latest Vandy Crimina (67)
Official Baseball Coachin
Latest Vandy Criminals
2018 Commitment - Wyatt C
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Phil Steele
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn
Seat Selection
Which Restaurant Do You M
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Lattimore vs. McFadden

Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Re: GAMES LOST WITH JOSH ALLOWING HR'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Certainly LSU is the gold standard of the last 20 years. And even they don't make it every year.

All-time I'd say SoCal, Miami, Stanford, LSU off the top of my head.
USC has the same amount as Stanford actually.

SoCal is in a league or their own. They are the Bama version of college baseball with 12 titles.

The 2nd highest is only half of that and that is LSU which won 5 of their 6 within a 10 year dominant period. Texas is also tied with LSU at 6, but several of theirs are from farther back than LSU's..... kind of like a fair amount of those SoCal Titles.

Arizona and Arizona State can't be forgotten.... one has 5 titles, the other has 4.

Believe it or not, Miami only has 4, which ties them with Cal State Fullerton and Arizona for 5th most.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/0...itles-won.html
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #22
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Oh I agree with your assessment. Those were just the ones I could immediately think of, after a very LONG day at work. LOL
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #23
TaySC
Starter

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh I agree with your assessment. Those were just the ones I could immediately think of, after a very LONG day at work. LOL
Kind of surprised that according to that list, Long Beach State doesn't have any.

I knew the 2 Arizona schools were very successful and it's hard to forget Texas and Augie.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1896552
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I remember when everyone was calling for Calvi's firing prior to the 2010 post season. But Myers just does not seem to be able for some reason to read when his pitchers need to come out of the game and sometimes his pitch calls are questionable. The pitch selection at the end of the tater game sticks in my mind.
But if Johnson comes back and pitches the way he did last year so we can use Josh as the set-up guy similar to the way we did with Price and Taylor we have a chance to win a lot more games than we lose in spite of what we think of the coaching staff.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #25
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot materialpimpingamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Stats can be made or used to say what you want them to say though. The answer to lowering Reagan's percentage is to give up a lot more base hits? Thats shooting your nose to spit your face.

Personally, I just wish fans would let this season play out and go from there. We all know that one or two games in a long season mean very little. If we have a somewhat bad season and Holbrook refuses to start making some changes, then I will happily join the fire Holbrook crowd, but I'm not there yet.
Think you missed my point throughout the thread. First, Jerry calls most of the shots when it comes to pitching. Second he, the starter of the thread asked about homers...so I gave stats. You use them how you will. He has been a bit feast or famine this year. 4 homers, 1 double, rest singles. It's a long season and I believe in Holbrook honestly.

You also make the point people were at one time calling for Ray's head. So very true...in fact the year before we won the NC people were. Holbrook has won and done well. I for one am not concerned, and think he will do just fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #26
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Like you, I've also followed them for a long time now. We definitely had some bad seasons in our past.

My beliefs in what we should expect are as follows:
- make a Regional EVER year.
- host the Regional 3 out of every 4 years
- make a Super Regional 2 out of every 4 years
- make the CWS 1 out of every 4 years.

To me that is realistic for an elite program like USC. Honestly, at this stage of the game I wouldn't really put any other college baseball programs ahead of ours. Yes, if you go by all time titles or wins there are numerous that are way ahead of us, but if you go by past 20 years it would be hard to find many that are much more successful than USC has been.
I've been around a while as well. I can agree with your expectations. I'll add that 2 out of every 4 years we should at least be in the conversation for a top 8 seed. Most years I just want to make (hopefully host) a regional and see what happens. If we host the regional I expect to win it. If you get hot at the right time you can run it all the way.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #27
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

RAY AINT THE COACH NO MO
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #28
usc1
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Like you, I've also followed them for a long time now. We definitely had some bad seasons in our past.

My beliefs in what we should expect are as follows:
- make a Regional EVER year.
- host the Regional 3 out of every 4 years
- make a Super Regional 2 out of every 4 years
- make the CWS 1 out of every 4 years.

To me that is realistic for an elite program like USC. Honestly, at this stage of the game I wouldn't really put any other college baseball programs ahead of ours. Yes, if you go by all time titles or wins there are numerous that are way ahead of us, but if you go by past 20 years it would be hard to find many that are much more successful than USC has been.
I disagree. We should be in a super every year. That is the expectation, whether we host or not or win or lose. Anything less is a disappointment and has always been considered a disappointment.
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #29
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Certainly LSU is the gold standard of the last 20 years. And even they don't make it every year.

All-time I'd say SoCal, Miami, Stanford, LSU off the top of my head.
Don't forget those bastards in Austin.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #30
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I disagree. We should be in a super every year. That is the expectation, whether we host or not or win or lose. Anything less is a disappointment and has always been considered a disappointment.
I had no idea that I was disappointed we didn't play in a Super Regional in 1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, and 1985. Now I am depressed. So when you refer to "always" in terms of Gamecock baseball you are referring to 1999-Present. Ray Tanner made Supers in 10 of 14 seasons (71%). Chad has made Supers in 2 of 4 seasons (50%). What program is your expectation based on?

Last edited by RoosterBooster; 04-05-2017 at 10:29 AM..
RoosterBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #31
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

I don't expect a super regional every year, but I do expect a regional every year.
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #32
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
A lot of our fans have very selective memory when it comes to Ray Tanner. It's hard for them to look back prior to 2009 when some fans were calling for his head and he blew some games.

We gave Tanner the time needed to get it right and just because our fans are now spoiled doesn't mean we should fire a good coach because we feel we are owed the CWS every season.

Who gets to judge how good a coach he is? He is a good recruiter. Coach, well that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #33
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
Who gets to judge how good a coach he is? He is a good recruiter. Coach, well that's another story.

That lies solely with CRT. Not us.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #34
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That lies solely with CRT. Not us.

He had his chance to make a change 2 years ago.

USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #35
TaySC
Starter

Male

Quote:
Just because YOU say it doesn't mean it's true.

Good thing your expectations aren't that of the majority or we would be switching coaches every 3-5 seasons and would never be any good.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #36
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 950
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I remember when everyone was calling for Calvi's firing prior to the 2010 post season. But Myers just does not seem to be able for some reason to read when his pitchers need to come out of the game and sometimes his pitch calls are questionable. The pitch selection at the end of the tater game sticks in my mind.
But if Johnson comes back and pitches the way he did last year so we can use Josh as the set-up guy similar to the way we did with Price and Taylor we have a chance to win a lot more games than we lose in spite of what we think of the coaching staff.
This. Meyers could not make that determination in his first stint as a Carolina pitching coach either. The first year back, he stuck with Calvi's method of using multiple pitchers per inning for match-up purposes. Since then, he has gone back to over extending pitchers and playing favorites (see the Murray appearances).
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #37
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmac08 View Post
This. Meyers could not make that determination in his first stint as a Carolina pitching coach either. The first year back, he stuck with Calvi's method of using multiple pitchers per inning for match-up purposes. Since then, he has gone back to over extending pitchers and playing favorites (see the Murray appearances).
THIS!!!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #38
Three and Out
Two Deep

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
To expect us to be in the super's every year is unreasonable. I'd say 65% for a good program.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #39
usc1
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
To expect us to be in the super's every year is unreasonable. I'd say 65% for a good program.
Quote:
Just because YOU say it doesn't mean it's true.

Good thing your expectations aren't that of the majority or we would be switching coaches every 3-5 seasons and would never be any good
FYI to one of the posters above, I am speaking about the program from 1999-on.

I think some are misunderstanding me when I say Supers are the expectation. Just because that is the bar, doesn't mean we'll be there every year. If you disagree with this, are you saying just making the playoffs are the expectation? Because that's the next step down. Do you think that is on par with LSU's expectations? Vandy? Florida?

Over a 10 year period, I don't expect us to make the Supers 100% of the time. That's not realistic. I'm talking about on a year to year basis. Yes, with our program, I consider a season to be disappointing if we don't make the Supers. Will it happen every year, no. Tanner losing to NC State and ECU in regionals was disappointing at the time. Holbrook losing at home to Maryland and not making the playoffs altogether another year were disappointing at the time. They were disappointing because we expected to go farther. That being said, you can still have a successful tenure, as Tanner did, without making the Supers every year.

Please do not quote my post and tell me I shouldn't expect a team to go to the supers 100% of the time in a 10 year period. I don't know what the right percentage is. I'm talking year to year folks.
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #40
TaySC
Starter

Male

Quote:
FYI to one of the posters above, I am speaking about the program from 1999-on.

I think some are misunderstanding me when I say Supers are the expectation. Just because that is the bar, doesn't mean we'll be there every year. If you disagree with this, are you saying just making the playoffs are the expectation? Because that's the next step down. Do you think that is on par with LSU's expectations? Vandy? Florida?

Over a 10 year period, I don't expect us to make the Supers 100% of the time. That's not realistic. I'm talking about on a year to year basis. Yes, with our program, I consider a season to be disappointing if we don't make the Supers. Will it happen every year, no. Tanner losing to NC State and ECU in regionals was disappointing at the time. Holbrook losing at home to Maryland and not making the playoffs altogether another year were disappointing at the time. They were disappointing because we expected to go farther. That being said, you can still have a successful tenure, as Tanner did, without making the Supers every year.

Please do not quote my post and tell me I shouldn't expect a team to go to the supers 100% of the time in a 10 year period. I don't know what the right percentage is. I'm talking year to year folks.
Reasonable post.

Whether you look at it 10 years out or go year to year though, you can't automatically expect to go to the Supers. Injuries, players going pro, etc., have a lot to do with it. Yes, those things would be a disappointment.

I was disappointed when we didn't win that 3rd straight title.....

I was disappointed when our men's basketball team didn't win the National Championship. ....

Is it fair of me to expect or even demand a National Title every year though?

We are all fans that absolutely abhor losing. If we went 55-1 this regular season we would wonder why we lost that one game to an inferior opponent.

Remember the season that we went 25-5 in the SEC and everyone couldn't believe it? It was a record people claimed would never be broken....... yeah, that record didn't actually last very long.

Year by year our expectations have to be based on what we currently have on the team. Did we lose too many to the pros unexpectedly? Are we a very young team? A lot plays into my expectations for our team. Every year isn't the same and IMHO cannot be treated the same.

Another thing to consider is how good other teams in conference are that we have to play. Maybe we have a solid ballclub, but the SEC is even better than normal.

My point here is that sometimes our best teams will underachieve based on our expectations and sometimes our team will overachieve. Does anyone really think that 2010 is our absolute best program of alltime? IMO we have had many that were at least equal to that team, if not better.