CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Blitzkrieg
carolina_corpsman
PFW79
Ace Dilcock
Lalli25
Spur's Addiction
kick_ball
Three and Out
Cockadoo
*** #25 USC WBB (5-4 (1540)
Zia Cooke 43 points, (500)
Starting Lineup Pred (461)
2019- Olivia Thompson
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - John Dixon
Vote for Hilinski
'Influential Voices' Read
*** #25 USC WBB (5-4) @ P
2019 - Jakai Moore
Belk Bowl
What's for dinner tonight
Deebo

Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #121
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jake Bentley or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Why have coaches if nobody knows?

See the Lou Holtz quote from earlier. You don't know what they are going to do until they are in the game.

Quote:
And again, Muschamp isn't starting Jake because Bobby is on staff. It's that simple.

Keep repeating that while clicking the heals of your ruby red slippers together and you might just end up in Kansas someday. That is not nearly all of the politics that I am talking about...and I don't know in this case as cited in an earlier post in this thread which was made in response to existing questions at the time...but the optics do lend themselves to people drawing this conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
BTW, Bentley's pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired. Facing good defensive lines, he displays happy feet and scrams too early. UGA 2018 and Clemson in 2017 are good examples. It was clear Clemson could tell he was hearing footsteps. It went south from there.
Well said...No need to add anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobinski View Post
This is major college football; when I was in *high school* we weren’t coached nor did we have time or opportunity to worry about not “throwing a receiver into trouble”.

Not sure I am completely following all of this, but when I was in *high school* our QBs were. I can remember them being coached this in Junior High. Now, I was fortunate enough to play at Spartanburg HS back in the day and we had some 'advantages' that not every HS enjoyed. The head coach my Jr and Sr years (in the 10th grade I got to play for Bill Carr for those that remember him) was Ellis Johnson. Yes, that Ellis Johnson and I can assure you that he didn't give a flying f...lip about offense, but our QBs (Bill Bradshaw and Eric Poole) heard about not throwing receivers into trouble every practice, every film session. I can almost assure you that Bent doesn't " have time or opportunity to worry" about it because I believe that he doesn't see them. I believe that he field of vision is that limited.

For the record, I want all of our guys to be All Americans. I am just pointing out why Bent isn't one right now. Scar did things Saturday that we have been waiting to see Bent do. Bent has more basic talent, but Saturday, Scar executed better than we have seen Bent do all season limited offense or whatever, you play the players and the scheme that gives you the best chance to win. So far this season, I would have to say that is Scar. It would be interesting to see if people had money, or if their life depended, on Sat's outcome who they would pick. My answer is obvious, Scar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
With all due respect...this is factually nonsense. Some traits of a great QB are to be able to throw a wr open, to throw a catchable ball, to throw it where only your wr has a chance to catch it or it is incomplete, to look off defenders, go through your progressions, to throw the ball away if nothing is there (don't force it unless 4th down) etc.. Now it is unrealistic to expect that on every play I guess...but those are all things the QB is taught and works on from @ middle school ball on
Thank you and well said!
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #122
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Maybe having a guy behind him who can play will help Jake play smarter. Now there is thriving threat of riding the bench if he does not perform.

It could also show how influential Bobby is if Jake struggles, like throwing 3 pics, and does not get pulled.

Still think Scar should be starting, but who knows, maybe sitting the pines last week woke Jake up and he will finally play better.

But at this point, he may just be who we think he is.

I hope he comes out Saturday and silencea the critics, myself included. If he does well, then the program improves.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #123
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 19800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Maybe having a guy behind him who can play will help Jake play smarter. Now there is thriving threat of riding the bench if he does not perform.

It could also show how influential Bobby is if Jake struggles, like throwing 3 pics, and does not get pulled.

Still think Scar should be starting, but who knows, maybe sitting the pines last week woke Jake up and he will finally play better.

But at this point, he may just be who we think he is.

I hope he comes out Saturday and silencea the critics, myself included. If he does well, then the program improves.
Really great post.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #124
gamecockfootball62
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 6262626218
gamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPit

Would love to see Scar play Saturday.

FOOTBALL!!!

gamecockfootball62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #125
NYSC
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
NYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervousNYSC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Really great post.

Well we need Daddy Bentley recruitment skills he gives in the HS coaches. Now is it worth throwing the season only if he goes pro at seasons end...
NYSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #126
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
BTW, Bentley's pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired. Facing good defensive lines, he displays happy feet and scrams too early. UGA 2018 and Clemson in 2017 are good examples. It was clear Clemson could tell he was hearing footsteps. It went south from there.
You’re talking about two of the best DLs in the country. Not many QBs are having success against either of those teams. Both of those teams are Top 4 in the country. I think sometimes our expectations make us believe we should win games that we shouldn’t.

If you want to see horrible pocket presence, watch the last series against UK with Scarnecchia.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #127
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

A few other things since the Eagles/Giants are boring and I have read more of this post...

Quote:
Why have coaches if nobody knows? We pay them a whole lot of money to not know.

We pay the coaches a "whole lot of money" to prepare the players/team each week. Nowadays, that even includes nutrition and spiritual prep. They cannot know how each player is going to play each week let alone know who is going to have the 'hot hand'. Think the coach of the Packers knew that Mason Crosby was going to have the game he had last weekend?

Quote:
What I saw with my eyes was that Scarnecchia handled a really insignificant amount of responsibilities really well.
It is interesting to see that you consider quarterbacking our team to a win against an SEC foe is "a really insignificant amount of responsibilities".

Quote:
Bentley actually has above average pocket presence.

I try to never just flat out disagree with someone, and I am not trying to be disrespectful here, but, no he doesn't. If he does then he has failed in 2 1/2 years to show it while playing for us.

Quote:
I agree with this "North Augusta Gamecock." Missouri's defense had nothing to do with why we ran the plays we ran. It had everything to do with the fact that McClendon didn't want to get us in 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 10 situations because the QB we were playing hadn't started a game in his whole career (probably since his dad isn't on staff or something) and didn't want him to feel uncomfortable.

Then McClendon needs to take this same approach with Bent.

Quote:
Bentley DOES make mistakes. I haven't denied that anywhere. I just want him to clean those up. That's it. I watched Scar throw 4 really bad balls too though. He was lucky not to have two picks, and one he threw 5 yards short of the receiver. So choosing to only see the good in one QB and only the bad in another isn't helpful. Bentley is just a better QB.

So, Scar throws balls that defenders should catch but don't. Bent throws balls that defenders shouldn't catch but do (most of the time in self-defense). Results matter.

I have said that Bent has more basic/raw talent...more potential if you will...but right now that is not being shown on the field. Undefeated with zero interceptions vs. 1-7 and enough interceptions to cause Noah to build another/a bigger boat speaks volumes.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #128
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
If you want to see horrible pocket presence, watch the last series against UK with Scarnecchia.

Please tell me that you are not asking us to compare a starter's performance to a backup's who is doing mopup duty in the final minutes of a blowout loss (caused by said starter). Please, say it ain't so.

FTR, he looked pretty good in the pocket last Saturday...when he got the start.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #129
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

We don't learn as many things if we start Bentley. Maybe whether some competition for his job lights him on fire in Q1 against a quality opponent... or, can we be less conservative in the QB run option if we know there is a capable someone waiting in the wings if he gets hurt.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #130
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You’re talking about two of the best DLs in the country. Not many QBs are having success against either of those teams. Both of those teams are Top 4 in the country. I think sometimes our expectations make us believe we should win games that we shouldn’t.

If Bentley was close to what you make him out to be he wouldn't be ranked the #77 passer in the NCAA. Listen man I get you are infatuated with him and I too hope he plays a good game Saturday but to this point nothing you say changes the fact he has played some bad football this year. He has a habit of throwing not only int's but pick 6's. The sample size is pretty large on his play as well so its time for him to put up or sit the bench.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #131
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 999903846
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
If Bentley was close to what you make him out to be he wouldn't be ranked the #77 passer in the NCAA. Listen man I get you are infatuated with him and I too hope he plays a good game Saturday but to this point nothing you say changes the fact he has played some bad football this year. He has a habit of throwing not only int's but pick 6's. The sample size is pretty large on his play as well so its time for him to put up or sit the bench.
Pretty much. He's struggled all season. Scar might not be the future but he gives us a chance to win, so it's not at all like Bentley is our only option.

a bison.
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #132
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
@CapitolCock...Listen man I get you are infatuated with him
Old 10-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #133
gocockswyn
Bowl MVP

Female

CockyCash: 5500
gocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot material

I fear that Jake may be plagued with tin cup symptoms.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #134
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
I fear that Jake may be plagued with tin cup symptoms.
Interesting observation.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #135
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

There’s honestly no reasoning with you guys. The coaching staff disagrees with all of you, and every single expert disagrees with all of you. But yeah, I’m the idiot...
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #136
JDStud6
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15065
JDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So facing top 3 teams in the country with dominating defensive lines gets to our QB's head. Like it wouldn't effect others? lol

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #137
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Not sure I am completely following all of this, but when I was in *high school* our QBs were. I can remember them being coached this in Junior High. Now, I was fortunate enough to play at Spartanburg HS back in the day and we had some 'advantages' that not every HS enjoyed. The head coach my Jr and Sr years (in the 10th grade I got to play for Bill Carr for those that remember him) was Ellis Johnson. Yes, that Ellis Johnson and I can assure you that he didn't give a flying f...lip about offense, but our QBs (Bill Bradshaw and Eric Poole) heard about not throwing receivers into trouble every practice, every film session. I can almost assure you that Bent doesn't " have time or opportunity to worry" about it because I believe that he doesn't see them. I believe that he field of vision is that limited.
Lol.

*High school* was because I neither care nor know how to italicize or underline on this site with my phone. Cute though.

You're impressed with your resume I see. Mine: played for Dick Sheridan "back in the day", 4A, State runner up junior year, State champions senior year. Two teammates have been NCAA head coaches.

You apparently had quite the advanced program based on your remembrance; good for you. If your qbs were coached in junior high at an nfl level to not only read rushes, read coverages, look guys off, go thru progressions AND be considerate enough to not "throw the receiver into trouble," then dang son; I stand corrected. Game didn't move that slowly for me. Guess Jake sucks after all.

Last edited by kidrobinski; 10-12-2018 at 02:35 PM..
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #138
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot material

Which gets me back to my original post; ATM runs really well, our rushing defense is ranked 99th, ATM is really good against the run (see Kentucky game), our rushing offense pretty much sucks, but please; more qb drama.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #139
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i dont know if this was necessarily muschamp's reasoning but my guess is he felt that if scar got the start performed well and we won he'd have no choice but to go with scar for the rest of the season. muschamp doesnt want to be put in a position where he basically has to keep jake on the bench without giving him another shot first and overall doesnt want to be in the position where he goes into next season not knowing what he has in jake. we have a healthy backup qb coming off a great game that i dont believe cwm will hesitate to put in there if jake is ineffective.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #140
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
So facing top 3 teams in the country with dominating defensive lines gets to our QB's head. Like it wouldn't effect others? lol

JD
Correct. That’s how humans make advancement, by showing courage. That’s how you knock off top teams, too. Trust your linemen. Watch the UGA game, even the Kentucky game. Clean pocket regularly. Step up and go through progressions. A good QB can’t play scared.