CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
Spur's Addiction
rt3891
Blitzkrieg
SanAntonioCock
Ace Dilcock
Captain9Dragons
sosfan812
kingofnerf
GoldenSpur7
**GAME #3 USC (1-1) (2914)
**USC Women (21-5) v (703)
Discussion: 2020 Rec (0)
**USC (13-13) vs. Auburn
Well this is depressing
Lindsay Spann Done for th
Discussion: 2020 Recruiti
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2020 - Mecose Todd
2018 Football Season - Re
external hard drive for X
Women's bb - Ezi Magbegor
**GAME #3 USC (1-1) vs. V

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #3041
J-Man
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
J-Man is sharpening his clawsJ-Man is sharpening his clawsJ-Man is sharpening his clawsJ-Man is sharpening his claws
Default Re: 2018 - Dennis Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGCfan View Post
Ironfan you rag on people all the time for sunshine pumping but can you explain why being unnecessarily negative is at all better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he can't...
Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #3042
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Ummm on the D1 offers you're either behind on D1 or trying exaggerate for a point, not sure which.
can you really even consider even duke a D-1 football team?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #3043
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 - Dantrell Barkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Here's my take, BAMA has 4 Juco offers out, and 1 commit from a Juco, they have won most of the National Titles the past 9 years. I think that is enough proof to shut up any riff raff about JUCO offers.
If we are going to be successful, we need to look at JUCOs every year. The percentage of FBS caliber players that go JUCO would be very difficult to tie down, but I would guess it would be around 10% for the state of South Carolina. So if you want to compete but ignore 10% of the available talent, that is very dumb.

We left the ACC, in large part, because they required an SAT score 50 points higher than the NCAA standard. We lost some of our best players to out of state schools like UGA as a result, and were at a competitive disadvantage. We are essentially doing the same thing if we ignore JUCOs now.

Ten percent of our roster is 8 - 9 players - we may be above that initially due to immediate needs, but I expect that we will continue to get 1-4 most years and have 7-10 overall.

Oh - and they do not tie up a scholarship for 4-5 years, and most HS players do not contribute for a year or two anyway. And they fill needs immediately, or at least much more than a HS Senior, because they have been playing for two years.

Guys like Sawyer and Kinlaw are even better - 4 years to play 3, you get the equivalent of their RS/back-up year out of the way and get them for 3 years, even if they get hurt and have to Redshirt. Win-win.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #3044
gocockswyn
Bowl MVP

Female

CockyCash: 5500
gocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 - Steven Gilmore

Would love to see another Gilmore on the field. :)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #3045
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 - Zamir "Zeus" White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Bag men have arrived.
Lonnie, we have to live with the current situation until next season starts. Dabo wants to wrap up as many recruits while he is still the current national champ. Once next season rolls around and recruits realize that Clemson's elite status was due solely to a since-departed elite QB, the sales pitch will not be nearly as convincing. In the meantime, our last two games were a bowl loss and a pummeling by Clemson.

We are up against the ropes and taking punches. But we won't be knocked out and can do our own damage once we break clear - which happens Game One of 2017.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #3046
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

Default Re: 2018 - Jatavious Harris

Quote:
Rankings change, he was a 4* when the thread was started.
The recruiting services hate us.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #3047
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Muschamp seems serious about "roster building". It's obvious we need higher quality starters, which transfers that we don't have quality depth either. He's got to have both to win at a high level. I can't tell you how many games I've watched from the stands where our starting 22 played toe to toe with UGA or UT only to be beaten by their depth in the 4th quarter. If bringing in Juco's for starters or depth gives us 4th quarter performance, do it. If it provides a couple years for young talent to mature, do it. It's not just about the starters, it's about the whole roster.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #3048
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
You do realize that Nick Saban is the best coach in college football and he still recruits JUCO players even with the most loaded roster in the sport, right?
Already pointed this out to him.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #3049
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 4760
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
The recruiting services hate us.
Fact
Old 02-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #3050
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack View Post
And Nick Saban wasn't always Nick Saban. Some coaches only need the right job at the right program to shine. Muschamp has found his. Carolina is where he'll build his legacy.
This is your opinion which you are entitled to have. I won't belittle you because I disagree like so many others here. As for me I have seen nothing from Muschamp, to this point, that makes me think your opinion is correct. Yes we won 6 games this year, but that in my opinion was no "real" accomplishment. With our schedule last year, and competent coach could have done that.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #3051
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

kid has many good D-1 offers.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #3052
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGCfan View Post
Ironfan you rag on people all the time for sunshine pumping but can you explain why being unnecessarily negative is at all better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see it that way. How many "project" or "under the radar guys" do you really think are out there? Muschamp is still unproven. He had a mediocre season with a mediocre recruiting class. 8th in the SEC in recruiting is mediocre. Bottom 50% in the conference.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #3053
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000000500
duff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPit

Either you evaluate talent and get in early with a kid who may be flying under the radar a bit; or, you are the 14th offer for a stud that everyone knows about. I think some schools just use stars and recruiting services. Either strategy opens itself for criticism and praise. I think this kid has a ton of potential, so kudos for CWM for extending the offer.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #3054
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
UT hardly qualifies as multiple SEC offers. Look I understand you are a full Muschamp supporter, but I am not sold on him yet or his ability to evaluate offensive players. When I see a player with no d-1 offers other then Duke, it is concerning.
Recruiting services rate him as a 3* currently. That's not terrible. Wouldn't it make sense that with our bigger recruiting staff we're getting in with kids early, especially kids in SC?

Muschamp has an offensive staff that I'm sure has a role in evaluating talent. In 2016 we got Edwards and Dowdle who contributed right away.

We doubled our win total from the prior year. Not many teams increased their win total by 3 games in 2016 vs 2015.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #3055
dumpyloser
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 2700
dumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot material

Dennis has some talent and I'm sure he will develop into his senior year, but he is a 3 star prospect through and through. I saw him make some really great catches last year and I saw him have some really bad drops early in the season.

He got better as the season progresses, which is one big thing that you look at with this level of a recruit. If he continues to progress then his untapped potential will get him a few more solid d1 offers. While Dennis is a good player and may turn out to be a better college player, he doesn't have the overwhelming physicality that Quinshad brought to the table.

I don't mean to take anything away from Dennis, but I think it's a good play for Muschamp (getting his name in the door) right now because Gaffney has several very gifted rising sophomore and Freshmen players that could easily be d1 talent. The 9th grade team was undefeated last year and the JV team did well as well.

Here are some articles on that class going back as far as 2013 where they went undefeated as 6th graders. I believe they were undefeated as middle schoolers as well, but I'm not sure.

http://www.gaffneyledger.com/news/20...acket_tit.html

http://www.gaffneyledger.com/news/20...ket_title.html

http://www.gaffneyledger.com/news/20...ninthgrad.html
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #3056
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
can you really even consider even duke a D-1 football team?
They're a Power 5 football team so absolutely.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #3057
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Recruiting services rate him as a 3* currently. That's not terrible. Wouldn't it make sense that with our bigger recruiting staff we're getting in with kids early, especially kids in SC?

Muschamp has an offensive staff that I'm sure has a role in evaluating talent. In 2016 we got Edwards and Dowdle who contributed right away.

We doubled our win total from the prior year. Not many teams increased their win total by 3 games in 2016 vs 2015.
I could care less about "stars." The issue I have is, he has no real football offers. Dowdle and Edwards did have offers from several Power 5 schools.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #3058
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
I could care less about "stars." The issue I have is, he has no real football offers. Dowdle and Edwards did have offers from several Power 5 schools.
So we should wait to offer kids until other schools have offered?

I dunno man, that seems kind of.....stupid.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #3059
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1674744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

http://247sports.com/Player/Dennis-Smith-46037221
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #3060
Ironfan
1st Team All-SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
So we should wait to offer kids until other schools have offered?

I dunno man, that seems kind of.....stupid.
nope, but usually kids are evaluated pretty fast now. He may receive a few more offers as other schools lose out on recruits higher on their board. But hey every once in awhile you hit on a gem who just clicks in College. Maybe this kid is one of those players like Deebo, but the odds are not in favor of this.
Closed Thread