CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
Captain9Dragons
carolina_corpsman
Ace Dilcock
GregoryHouse
ChunkSnackwell
kick_ball
conwaycock2
Spurticus
Snoop's take, Practi (1872)
New 2001 (1043)
NC State Dismisses 2 (881)
HBC Calls Gamecocks (858)
CBS predictions for (529)
Position Unit Previe (526)
Booger & Greg Mc (424)
Going to my first ga (408)
Deangelo Knight (345)
SEC Network did thei (240)
Javon Charleston
New 2001
2017 Roster
Booger & Greg McElroy
nba 2017-18
HBC Calls Gamecocks ...
WBB 2017-18 Season and Re
Deangelo Knight
Snoop's take, Practice Re
Stephen Davis Jr.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #81
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: ESPN has South Carolina as Football Power Index #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHixx View Post
This guy just makes stuff up and expects that he won't be checked on it. He went from "they sent 7-8 guys every play," to "not that many but close to it," to "they didn't blitz but they did show different looks."
Pretty consistent - you had an aggressive, attacking defense. The more accurate description was that you kept 7-8 in the box every play, and achieved the effect of sending 7-8 by alternating the rushers. The O Line has to account for the four D Linemen first, so if you are sending LBs and DBs as well, it gives them more rushers than they can block. And you did blitz - 6 on the very first play, and that is based on your observations - like I say, I would get too depressed if I went back and looked. I think that you are aware that your team was all over the place on D, and was playing a variety of stunts, blitzes, and disguised coverages.

And the point is 100% accurate - the O Line did their job, the QB did not do a good job of reading the D, checking out of plays and getting the ball out quick. See my other posts about the inexperience of the QB and what that does for the team's performance.

And - we would have really been in trouble if our O Line was inexperienced. Imagine what it would be like if we had, say, a true Freshman starting at Tackle. LOL
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #82
TigersFan32
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
TigersFan32 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Okay Hillbilly - explain 2015. Even with a former walk-on at QB, we were within 5 points for much of the 4th Quarter.

You Taters continue to ignore experience. You need talent and experience. You had nowhere close to Alabama's talent, but you had a big edge in experience at key positions, like QB. That was enough to overcome the talent gap (well, that and a few pick plays, plus Alabama's RB getting hurt).

We played a Freshman QB that was not ready. You had a pair of All Americans, 3 year starting QB Watson and 4th year WR Mike Williams, making plays early. Our relative inexperience and your veteran stars changed what could have been a close game into a rout.

The talent levels are a lot closer than you realize - you have not recruited at an "elite" level except QB and WR and you are starting over on Offense, with very little experience. We will actually have the experience edge this year, and you will be very surprised at the actual talent gap - if there is one in your favor.
Actually yall werent.

-Clemon led by 11 until the 12:19 mark in the 4th (lead was cut to 3 by USC)

-Clemson scored again at the 8:05 mark (so USC was within 5 points for 4 min 14 secs) to push the lead to 9.

-Clemon kicked a fg to push the lead to 12 at the 1:22 mark in the 4th.

-USC scored a final TD with 1 sec left in the 4th to bring the score within 5 pts.

USC within 5 point for 4 minutes and 15 seconds of the 4th qtr.

So your statement of "much of the 4th qtr" was wrong. A more accurate statement would've been "slightly more than a 1/4 of the 4th" (28% of the 4th qtr to be exact).

And you wonder why even members of your own fanbase tell you to remove the garnet glasses :) back to Smack Talk I go. See ya there
TigersFan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #83
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersFan32 View Post
Actually yall werent.

-Clemon led by 11 until the 12:19 mark in the 4th (lead was cut to 3 by USC)

-Clemson scored again at the 8:05 mark (so USC was within 5 points for 4 min 14 secs) to push the lead to 9.

-Clemon kicked a fg to push the lead to 12 at the 1:22 mark in the 4th.

-USC scored a final TD with 1 sec left in the 4th to bring the score within 5 pts.

USC within 5 point for 4 minutes and 15 seconds of the 4th qtr.

So your statement of "much of the 4th qtr" was wrong. A more accurate statement would've been "slightly more than a 1/4 of the 4th" (28% of the 4th qtr to be exact).

And you wonder why even members of your own fanbase tell you to remove the garnet glasses :) back to Smack Talk I go. See ya there
And you wonder why we hate Taters? Do you understand the word "nitpick"? The phrase "splitting hairs"? The term "waste of bandwidth"? How about "irrelevant to the discussion"?

"Much" means a large amount. "Most" means more than half. So the number falls between 25% and 50% - when the hell else would you use the term "much"??? Once you get to 50%, you use the term "most".

And thanks for reminding us that the actual margin for MUCH of the 4th Quarter was actually even closer - 3 points. Which means...wait for it....my post was even more accurate than if it had been a 5 point margin.

And thanks for doing the research to confirm the accuracy of my observation.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #84
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #85
LazerBeak
4-Star

Male

LazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot material

Quote:
Pretty consistent - you had an aggressive, attacking defense. The more accurate description was that you kept 7-8 in the box every play, and achieved the effect of sending 7-8 by alternating the rushers. The O Line has to account for the four D Linemen first, so if you are sending LBs and DBs as well, it gives them more rushers than they can block. And you did blitz - 6 on the very first play, and that is based on your observations - like I say, I would get too depressed if I went back and looked. I think that you are aware that your team was all over the place on D, and was playing a variety of stunts, blitzes, and disguised coverages.

And the point is 100% accurate - the O Line did their job, the QB did not do a good job of reading the D, checking out of plays and getting the ball out quick. See my other posts about the inexperience of the QB and what that does for the team's performance.

And - we would have really been in trouble if our O Line was inexperienced. Imagine what it would be like if we had, say, a true Freshman starting at Tackle. LOL
Do you know nothing about football? you seem to know little about how this game works. while I agree the QB sets protections, mainly coz he is upright, see more of the field, and can see guys moving around. He can also change the play as needed, depending on what he sees. The OL has a great deal of responsibility as well. what do you think linemen are doing whenbthen get to the line, point at him, tap the guy next him? comminication of OL is utmost importance. even pee wee football OL guys are taught gap control. you block the guy in front of you, or in case of stunts the guy who comes in front of you. If nobody comes in front of you, go find somebody. my 9 yr old nephew lerned that last summer in youth football camp, in his 1st year ever playing football. your excuses are pitiful as our OL play was..,. gosh I hope nobdy gets "aggressive" with our OL this year. Really do you think we were the only team they brought mainly 4-5 defenders, or got tricky disguising stuff with? and surely no other team can disguise D's against us, coz its just not fair to our OL guys, whom happen to better than the Natty champ OL by the way according to you

it would be more accurate to say our OL was swiss cheese, absolutely lost, terrable and having an inexperienced QB did not help

heres a lil something to help you out on OL responsibilities :
https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/9...responsibility

Last edited by LazerBeak; 02-17-2017 at 02:22 PM..
LazerBeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #86
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Why are you (Ace) arguing over Clemson's lead in 4th quarter of the 2015 CU vs. SC game? If you want to hold on to that moral victory; go ahead. It didn't help the score in the 2016 game. Also, give up making excuses for Bama losing; they lost.
SC should have an improved team in 2017, be satisfied with that.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #87
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
The accuracy of this picture and Ace's points are astounding
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #88
BillyHixx
Banned

Male

BillyHixx has feathers coming inBillyHixx has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
You do remember the Cuse score was 54-0 right? Our talent is not great right now but we would beat Cuse or Wake on a neutral field by double digits. We had tons of youth which factored into the score on the road. I think you beat us down regardless of venue but it I don't believe the game is anywhere near as bad on a neutral site. In terms of pure talent it would not shock me if we beat you in our house next year, definitely a bit of a surprise but not out of the realm of possibility.
Yes I remember the score. But the stat sheet says Clemson was even more dominant against SC. 41 first downs vs. SC, 28 vs. Syracuse. 620 yards vs. 560.

We're just splitting hairs here, though. I'm not going to take much issue with someone saying SC played Clemson slightly better than Syracuse did. I'm willing to concede they were pretty similar games.

I know this comes as no surprise, but I would be shocked if SC beats Clemson next year. I don't think the talent levels are close to comparable. I expect Clemson to be favored by double digits.

Last edited by BillyHixx; 02-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: x
BillyHixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #89
BillyHixx
Banned

Male

Quote:
Okay Hillbilly - explain 2015. Even with a former walk-on at QB, we were within 5 points for much of the 4th Quarter.

You Taters continue to ignore experience. You need talent and experience. You had nowhere close to Alabama's talent, but you had a big edge in experience at key positions, like QB. That was enough to overcome the talent gap (well, that and a few pick plays, plus Alabama's RB getting hurt).

We played a Freshman QB that was not ready. You had a pair of All Americans, 3 year starting QB Watson and 4th year WR Mike Williams, making plays early. Our relative inexperience and your veteran stars changed what could have been a close game into a rout.

The talent levels are a lot closer than you realize - you have not recruited at an "elite" level except QB and WR and you are starting over on Offense, with very little experience. We will actually have the experience edge this year, and you will be very surprised at the actual talent gap - if there is one in your favor.
Y'all played a great game keeping it relatively close in 2015. It's not the first time that's happened between teams of vastly different talent levels. Y'all played way up, Clemson played way down, and y'all scored in garbage time to cut it to 5. That's the small picture, and SC deserves credit for doing well in that one-game scenario.

In the big picture, SC went 3-9 while Clemson played in the national championship. If you're arguing that Clemson and SC were similar teams in 2015 because of that game, I think that's pretty silly.

I don't expect you to admit, or even realize, that Clemson is bringing in blue chip talent at pretty much all positions. I won't even try. I'll just point out that Clemson's roster is >50% guys who were 4-5* recruits, while SC's is <25%. You're really setting yourself up for disappointment if you think your team's roster is similar to Clemson's.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #90
BillyHixx
Banned

Male

Quote:

If by "aggressive" and "attacking" you mean that our DL was throwing around and flying by your OL, then I agree. But if you mean Brent Venables was calling a bunch of high-risk plays because he was worried about SC neutralizing our DL without them, well, you're still just as wrong as you were when you said we were sending 7-8 guys every play. Of course Clemson blitzed a few times. All I'm saying is that it wasn't often, because it didn't need to be. You just made that up and you're still making things up.

If the OL's job was to pave the way to 58 first half yards on 31 plays, against a defense that was neither blitzing frequently nor stacking the box, then I guess they did their job. Personally, that strikes me as a problem with all 11 guys on the offense.

Definitely a good thing SC didn't have a true freshman starting at tackle. No way a team could make it to the national championship under those circumstances. Twice.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #91
TigersFan32
Recruit

Male

TigersFan32 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
And you wonder why we hate Taters? Do you understand the word "nitpick"? The phrase "splitting hairs"? The term "waste of bandwidth"? How about "irrelevant to the discussion"?

"Much" means a large amount. "Most" means more than half. So the number falls between 25% and 50% - when the hell else would you use the term "much"??? Once you get to 50%, you use the term "most".

And thanks for reminding us that the actual margin for MUCH of the 4th Quarter was actually even closer - 3 points. Which means...wait for it....my post was even more accurate than if it had been a 5 point margin.

And thanks for doing the research to confirm the accuracy of my observation.
Ohhh so in the fantasyland Ace lives in...28% = much..aka large amount. Got it You dizzy yet from all your spinning? My sincere condolences to the other Gamecock fans for having to deal with this nut and his garnet goggles. However, I shall enjoy the entertainment

Last edited by TigersFan32; 02-17-2017 at 01:25 PM..
TigersFan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #92
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazerBeak View Post
Do you know nothing about football? you seem to know little about how this game works. while I agree the QB sets protections, mainly coz he is upright, see more of the field, and can see guys moving around. He can also change the play as needed, depending on what he sees. The OL has a great deal of responsibility as well. what do you think linemen are doing whenbthen get to the line, point at him, tap the guy next him? comminication of OL is utmost importance. even pee wee football OL guys are taught gap control. you block the guy in front of you, or in case of stunts the guy who comes in front of you. If nobody comes in front of you, go find somebody. my 9 yr old nephew lerned that last summer in youth football camp, in his 1st year ever playing football. your excuses are pitiful as our OL play was..,. gosh I hope nobdy gets "aggressive" with our OL this year. Really do you think we were the only team they brought mainly 4-5 defenders, or got tricky disguising stuff with? and surely no other team can disguise D's against us, coz its just not fair to our OL guys, whom happen to better than the Natty champ OL by the way according to you

it would be more accurate to say our OL was swiss cheese, absolutely lost, terrable and having an inexperienced QB did not help

heres a lil something to help you out on OL responsibilities :
https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/9...responsibility
You are saying what I am saying. The O Linemen block the guy in front of them. As opposed to the guys lined up wide that rush - the LBs and DBs. The O Linemen are not looking that way and it would not do any good if they did - they can't get out of their stance and over to the side of the field to block - those guys are a lot faster anyway.

That is why the QB has to read the defense and check out of plays. And why the RB and/our TE are more to blame from outside pressure getting to the QB. My point is un-assailed - you guys put a lot of pressure on the QB, and for the most part, it was not the failure of our O Line that caused the problems.

Yes, other teams did put pressure on our QB, but not to the extent that you and Florida did. That is due to talent/scheme and defensive mindset. Venables is aggressive playcaller - I will be glad when he goes to KSU. But there is a downside to your scheme and aggressiveness - your D got burned by running QBs that can keep the play alive. That exposes your "soft underbelly" after getting past containment if the QB runs, and leaves receivers wide open with double moves against single coverage.

So yes, I know a lot about football - I "lerned" it as you like to put it.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #93
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHixx View Post
Y'all played a great game keeping it relatively close in 2015. It's not the first time that's happened between teams of vastly different talent levels. Y'all played way up, Clemson played way down, and y'all scored in garbage time to cut it to 5. That's the small picture, and SC deserves credit for doing well in that one-game scenario.

In the big picture, SC went 3-9 while Clemson played in the national championship. If you're arguing that Clemson and SC were similar teams in 2015 because of that game, I think that's pretty silly.

I don't expect you to admit, or even realize, that Clemson is bringing in blue chip talent at pretty much all positions. I won't even try. I'll just point out that Clemson's roster is >50% guys who were 4-5* recruits, while SC's is <25%. You're really setting yourself up for disappointment if you think your team's roster is similar to Clemson's.
We played really well against you in 2015? Are you sure we did not play like we should have, and just played really badly in 2016? With a new coaching staff and a true Freshman QB in his 6th game?

The talent levels - in terms of star ratings - are similar to what they were during the five-peat. The difference in the last three years has been Watson, and he is gone. Along with the rest of your offensive stars.

And I know a lot more about your recruiting than you realize. How many of your 5* players are at WR and QB? The answer, in case you did not know, is 4 of your 7 five stars for 2017. How many of your 4*? I don't have an overall count of your 4*, but I know you have another 3 QBs and at least 5 WRs.

Last I checked, you can only play 1 QB at a time (you don't even know who that is now) and 2 WRs (Cain and whoever else you come up with). That means a lot of high rated guys sitting on the bench and not contributing.

And here is the funny thing. Of the two teams, we are the one with the more proven experienced QB. And Deebo is the most impressive WR returning on either team. And - for good measure - we have the best returning RB. And TE. So your 4* at those positions ain't giving you an edge either, huh? Talent gap - it is there, but it is more of a drainage ditch than a canyon - like you think. Keep thinking you guys are elite - the only elite part is entering the draft this year. LOL
Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #94
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Ace, the.......
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #95
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Did I wander into the Smack Forum by mistake?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #96
LazerBeak
4-Star

Male

LazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot material

Quote:
You are saying what I am saying. The O Linemen block the guy in front of them. As opposed to the guys lined up wide that rush - the LBs and DBs. The O Linemen are not looking that way and it would not do any good if they did - they can't get out of their stance and over to the side of the field to block - those guys are a lot faster anyway.

That is why the QB has to read the defense and check out of plays. And why the RB and/our TE are more to blame from outside pressure getting to the QB. My point is un-assailed - you guys put a lot of pressure on the QB, and for the most part, it was not the failure of our O Line that caused the problems.

Yes, other teams did put pressure on our QB, but not to the extent that you and Florida did. That is due to talent/scheme and defensive mindset. Venables is aggressive playcaller - I will be glad when he goes to KSU. But there is a downside to your scheme and aggressiveness - your D got burned by running QBs that can keep the play alive. That exposes your "soft underbelly" after getting past containment if the QB runs, and leaves receivers wide open with double moves against single coverage.

So yes, I know a lot about football - I "lerned" it as you like to put it.
no thats not what i'm saying. What i'm saying is when the OL gets to the LOS, each guy has an assignment. Maybe thats a DT, maybe thats a DE, or LB. perhaps its a reach block, to the guy lined up wide, dbl team, pulling, or wham block, but they all have a guy. Now the communication is important from someone on the line to say " I got that guy, you got that guy', etc. This is a fairly easy concept,and most basic in blocking. AND thats not on the QB. Thats on the OL. They have to open their eyes and see who they need to block.... quick feet and athleticism is important. key word GAP CONTROL - means nobody goes by me in my assigned gap. And to be clear: it wasn't corner & safety blitzes that were killing Bentley behind the LOS. It was down linemen and LB's. there is no excuse!

Is what ur saying is that you think, if an OL guy does not have a guy directly in front of him, on his nose, that he will think he has nobody to block? BAHAHAHA! Your football IQ is dropping by the second Ace

now where you seem to be confused is that the QB can check in/out of plays, say from run to pass, or zone to right or left, or inside, ect which would indeed change how the OL needs to block. "calling protections" in most cases are for the RB and or TE. With the exception of a (obvious) blitz coming. Still if LB comes thru untouched, its on the OL.(in most cases) So I will agree that Bentley did that poorly

So you say your point is un-assailed, lol. you simply moved the goal posts again. It IS NOT the Qb's job to tell each lineman who to block.

Last edited by LazerBeak; 02-17-2017 at 11:02 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #97
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazerBeak View Post
no thats not what i'm saying. What i'm saying is when the OL gets to the LOS, each guy has an assignment. Maybe thats a DT, maybe thats a DE, or LB. perhaps its a reach block, to the guy lined up wide, dbl team, pulling, or wham block, but they all have a guy. Now the communication is important from someone on the line to say " I got that guy, you got that guy', etc. This is a fairly easy concept,and most basic in blocking. AND thats not on the QB. Thats on the OL. They have to open their eyes and see who they need to block.... quick feet and athleticism is important. key word GAP CONTROL - means nobody goes by me in my assigned gap. And to be clear: it wasn't the corner & safety blitzes that were killing Bentley behind the LOS. It was down linemen and LB's. there is no excuse!

Is what ur saying is that you think, if an OL guy does not have a guy directly in front of him, on his nose, that he will think he has nobody to block? BAHAHAHA! Your football IQ is dropping by the second Ace

now where you seem to be confused is that the QB can check in/out of plays, say from run to pass, or zone to right or left, or inside, ect which would indeed change how the OL needs to block. "calling protections" in most cases are for the RB and or TE. With the exception of a (obvious) blitz coming. Still if LB comes thru untouched, its on the OL.(in most cases) So I will agree that Bentley that poorly

So you say your point is un-assailed, lol. you simply moved the goal posts again. It IS NOT the Qb's job to tell each lineman who to block.
Gotcha, Beak. The O Lineman is supposed to instinctively know that the guy in front of him - that is his assignment 90% of the time - is not rushing, and that he has to ignore him and immediately race to the outside, where a LB and DB is actually rushing the QB. And the O Lineman - who weighs 300 lbs. plus - has to get up from his crouching stance and outrun a DB or LB that has the angle to the QB, and get in front of him so he can get a clean block.

I guess those true Freshman OLs that you have starting for you guys can do that. An average O Line - like say, the Dallas Cowboys' piss-poor group - is not able to do that.

On all O Lines that are not super-human - in other words, every O Line except Clemson's - the responsibility for picking up the fact that there is someone rushing from the outside falls on the QB, and the responsibility for blocking that rusher falls on the TE or RB. But at Clemson, you don't have to worry about that - your O Linemen can do the transmogrification thing and re-assemble their molecules directly in front of the rusher.

Again, gotcha - I see what you are saying. There is something special in them thar hills - and it is straight out of Star Trek. LOL
Old 02-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #98
LazerBeak
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Gotcha, Beak. The O Lineman is supposed to instinctively know that the guy in front of him - that is his assignment 90% of the time - is not rushing, and that he has to ignore him and immediately race to the outside, where a LB and DB is actually rushing the QB. And the O Lineman - who weighs 300 lbs. plus - has to get up from his crouching stance and outrun a DB or LB that has the angle to the QB, and get in front of him so he can get a clean block.

I guess those true Freshman OLs that you have starting for you guys can do that. An average O Line - like say, the Dallas Cowboys' piss-poor group - is not able to do that.

On all O Lines that are not super-human - in other words, every O Line except Clemson's - the responsibility for picking up the fact that there is someone rushing from the outside falls on the QB, and the responsibility for blocking that rusher falls on the TE or RB. But at Clemson, you don't have to worry about that - your O Linemen can do the transmogrification thing and re-assemble their molecules directly in front of the rusher.

Again, gotcha - I see what you are saying. There is something special in them thar hills - and it is straight out of Star Trek. LOL
like so many of these discussions, you seem to be lost in the details of what is actually happening. you seem to be thinking that "guys were coming from the outside...." In some cases they were, but you should really watch that game to have a clue what you are talking about. Most of the pressure came right up the middle. Boulware and Joseph (LB's) lived in the backfield, as did DT's. I assure you they were not racing to the outside, nor were clemmie leaving Wr's uncovered to bring pressure from CB. Nor did they leave the middle of the field wide open and put all the rushers on the outside

As someone else posted in another post of just the 1Q, Clemmie only brought more than 4 a few times. So if they are bringing four- lets say 2 Lb a DE and a DT, I dont understand how our guys can't block that...again LBs are coming thru the A & B gap, DT thru opposing B gap, and DE C gap or off tackle. What you are saying is that they can't possibly know which ones are coming? or who to block? whaaaaat?

I really hope no other teams decide to rush 4 this next season coz our guys can't possibly (you know do what all other good Olines do) figure out how to pick up "blitzes", if they are announced beforehand.

Most posters on here understand that our Oline was not good, except you...who cant seem to understand what they actually do. Our line just got beat a lot. A big dose of reality for you is Our Oline was beat several times when clemmie just rushed 3.

Last edited by LazerBeak; 02-18-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #99
BillyHixx
Banned

Male

Quote:
We played really well against you in 2015? Are you sure we did not play like we should have, and just played really badly in 2016? With a new coaching staff and a true Freshman QB in his 6th game?

The talent levels - in terms of star ratings - are similar to what they were during the five-peat. The difference in the last three years has been Watson, and he is gone. Along with the rest of your offensive stars.

And I know a lot more about your recruiting than you realize. How many of your 5* players are at WR and QB? The answer, in case you did not know, is 4 of your 7 five stars for 2017. How many of your 4*? I don't have an overall count of your 4*, but I know you have another 3 QBs and at least 5 WRs.

Last I checked, you can only play 1 QB at a time (you don't even know who that is now) and 2 WRs (Cain and whoever else you come up with). That means a lot of high rated guys sitting on the bench and not contributing.

And here is the funny thing. Of the two teams, we are the one with the more proven experienced QB. And Deebo is the most impressive WR returning on either team. And - for good measure - we have the best returning RB. And TE. So your 4* at those positions ain't giving you an edge either, huh? Talent gap - it is there, but it is more of a drainage ditch than a canyon - like you think. Keep thinking you guys are elite - the only elite part is entering the draft this year. LOL
Yes, I'm sure. SC played 11 other games in 2015 that made it pretty clear that playing #2 in a reasonably competitive fashion was an anomaly.

I know you think clemson will fall back to scar's level this year, but you have thought that before. It's not worth arguing the talent level with you. You're incapable of objectivity. If you really think your team is similar to clemson, after two straight national title games for one team versus two straight losing seasons for the other, then you're in for a rough fall.

(By the way, clemson almost always has more two wideouts on the field... but we know how you are with counting, Mr. 7-8 rushers every play.)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #100
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I don't think anyone is saying Clemson's OL is the Hogs from the 80s Redskins. There was more than a few times Clemson didn't get a 3rd and one (or 4th and one) in the ground. Yes there is room for improvement, but they were good enough to help win the NC.

As for 2017, I expect a fall off but not into the Marianas Trench. And by the way the Cain and whoever else at WR comment is funny.