CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Spur's Addiction
crowcutta
SanAntonioCock
ShutTheSuccop
MountainCock
thekob
TaySC
lfowens
TastyLicks
Deebo and Shi Smith (1066)
2019 - Taisun Phomma (817)
2019 - Jacob Conover (658)
Tight End U (592)
Rebel Rags Suit Alle (479)
Two-Time National Ch (463)
Daily Five: Vacated (303)
Overused Words & (263)
2019 -Glover Cook- L (194)
Maybe some of yall c (172)
Tight End U
2019 - Jamie Pettway
Discussion: 2020 Recruiti
2019 Commitment - Rodricu
**USC (3-1) vs. Winthrop
Well this is depressing
**USC Women (22-5) vs. LS
COD: WWII
2018 Winter Olympics thre
2019 - Samuel Brooks

View Poll Results: Did Bryan McClendon show enough in the Bowl Game?
Yes 20 11.90%
Yes but only enough that he gets one year to stick 17 10.12%
No but he should be in contention 74 44.05%
No this game proved he should not get the job 35 20.83%
My answer will depend on who CWM chooses 22 13.10%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #901
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question regarding new OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I understand what you're saying and don't disagree, but I have to keep reminding myself that this was his very first time in the real role. He should improve.
I think Will has a tough decision. If he goes with this gut, Bryan probably gets a promotion. If it backfires, I guess Will could fire & hire again. He'll almost be obligated to give Bryan 2 years to prove something. That's the risk.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #902
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Problem is, if you're Muschump, are you willing to take that risk?
Especially if I can pay top $$ for some guy that might really make a difference.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #903
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Problem is, if you're Muschamp, are you willing to take that risk?
1. Please edit your post so that Muschamp's name is correct if you haven't already done it by the time I respond.

2. I agree. It's a tough spot he's in. He's big on continuity it seems, so it won't surprise me if he takes the chance on a guy who has proven to be such a commodity to the program on the offensive coaching staff.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #904
TaySC
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
1. Please edit your post so that Muschamp's name is correct if you haven't already done it by the time I respond.

2. I agree. It's a tough spot he's in. He's big on continuity it seems, so it won't surprise me if he takes the chance on a guy who has proven to be such a commodity to the program on the offensive coaching staff.
1- autocorrect

2- if he had a better reputation with offense, I think it would be a worthwhile risk. With his reputation what it is though, I think he needs to at least try for what would appear to be a homerun type of hire.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #905
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 7500
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
At this point, there is less evidence that it's a good hire than the alternative. If you're Will, you willing to stake your career on that? You see $800k worth of coaching and game prep today? They had what, 5 weeks to get ready?
Quote:
1- autocorrect

2- if he had a better reputation with offense, I think it would be a worthwhile risk. With his reputation what it is though, I think he needs to at least try for what would appear to be a homerun type of hire.
ON TARGET!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #906
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
1- autocorrect

Thank you.

I could not agree with you more on your point. Muschamp definitely has an earned reputation of having struggling offenses, and that tells me he would be better served going out and getting an established winning OC. My biggest problem is the folks who are acting like there is evidence that McClendon is pretty much guaranteed to fail as an OC here.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #907
newberryhi
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
newberryhi has hatched from the shell

My concern with B Mac is he has no history in the kind of offense Boom wants to run. Georgia and Roper do not run tempo spread offenses. I have no problem with a position coach getting promoted to OC if they have coached in that system and know how to run it.
newberryhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #908
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Tough decision. Depends on who the outside, interested, candidates are.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #909
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Muschampís MO is that he hires OCs that he can control. That has been a terrible decision time and time again. BMac would be the same kind of hire and could hurt his own career by taking the job. I would rather see us hire outside an allow an OC negotiate the freedom to run the offense autonomously through the hiring process.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #910
TaySC
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

I don't believe BMac would do any worse than Roper did, but would it be much better?

Next year is a favorable schedule and if we don't win at least 8 games I can see fans turning on Muschamp even if the offense is a little better.

BMac definitely wouldn't be a guarantee to fail, however.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #911
AtlGAMECOCK
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 964742
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Muschampís MO is that he hires OCs that he can control. That has been a terrible decision time and time again. BMac would be the same kind of hire and could hurt his own career by taking the job. I would rather see us hire outside an allow an OC negotiate the freedom to run the offense autonomously through the hiring process.
I personally think he is more hands off than what you are saying.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #912
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by newberryhi View Post
My concern with B Mac is he has no history in the kind of offense Boom wants to run. Georgia and Roper do not run tempo spread offenses. I have no problem with a position coach getting promoted to OC if they have coached in that system and know how to run it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Tough decision. Depends on who the outside, interested, candidates are.
Both of these are very fair, good points.

If the best external candidate we can get is someone like Yurcich, then the idea of promoting McClendon should be dead in the water. On the other hand, if it's someone like the OC at North Greenville (no disrespect intended), then it seems like McClendon should get the nod.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #913
CockNJersey
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
I think Will has a tough decision. If he goes with this gut, Bryan probably gets a promotion. If it backfires, I guess Will could fire & hire again. He'll almost be obligated to give Bryan 2 years to prove something. That's the risk.
Under different circumstances, BMac could be given a shot. There's just little room for error here. We don't have nearly enough talent on offense to let BMac learn on the job. We need a proven offensive mind to come in and figure out how to get the most out of the limited talent we have.

If we had an offense what was humming along, then I could see Champ just promoting from within.

If any of us were in Champ's position, would and of us stake our future as a head coach on hiring BMac?

There's also perception. One of the biggest mistakes Spurrier made was the lazy hire of promoting Ward from within to DC. Obviously a disastrous move. With his history on offense, I think he's gotta show he really vetted the field and got the very best that he could. Promoting BMac wouldn't do that.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #914
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Does BMac leave if he isn’t chosen as OC?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #915
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I don't the he's in the position where he would like automatically leave. It was good for his career long term no matter what.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #916
CockNJersey
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Does BMac leave if he isn’t chosen as OC?
Surely he's got to understand that the offense played like garbage for over 3 quarters. I'm sure he wants the job and feels like he can do it, but as a professional coach, he has to understand that the offensive performance today wasn't nearly good enough to earn him the job.

I still say we should go with with a proven OC who could maybe leave after a couple years or so for a HC gig, give BMac a chance to learn the job better and then promote him.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #917
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 7500
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Under different circumstances, BMac could be given a shot. There's just little room for error here. We don't have nearly enough talent on offense to let BMac learn on the job. We need a proven offensive mind to come in and figure out how to get the most out of the limited talent we have.

If we had an offense what was humming along, then I could see Champ just promoting from within.

If any of us were in Champ's position, would and of us stake our future as a head coach on hiring BMac?

There's also perception. One of the biggest mistakes Spurrier made was the lazy hire of promoting Ward from within to DC. Obviously a disastrous move. With his history on offense, I think he's gotta show he really vetted the field and got the very best that he could. Promoting BMac wouldn't do that.
ON TARGET!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #918
Lalli25
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6800
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I can’t figure out why we run so much inside zone without letting the QB read it. Jake could have had 4-5 big runs on reads if he was allowed to pull it.
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #919
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
I personally think he is more hands off than what you are saying.
I have folled Muschamp since his days at FLA. I am not saying he dictates to the OC what plays to run, but he has hired OCs who are friendly to his low risk, ball control, style of play. You could even see that today when we went very conservative at the 15 when a touchdown would have sealed the game. We ran 3 times and kicked the FG

I hope he has grown as a coach to realize he needs to give up some control.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #920
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
ON TARGET!!!!!!
We get it. Anyone who is against the idea of McClendon being the OC here is "ON TARGET!!!!!!".