CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
tcmac08
carolina_corpsman
thekob
kick_ball
TastyLicks
cack
COCKYWOOD
Spur's Addiction
DJ35
Master Bedroom
2018 SEC Tournament: (1451)
Game 1 Against Coast (1079)
2019 - Donavon Green (488)
Portnoy no longer co (266)
Spelunking Anyone? (265)
Mission Impossible o (247)
Happy Birthday South (190)
NBA Playoffs (176)
Found some Gamecock (133)
Football Seat Select (129)
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
Josh Belk
WBB Transfers
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
Game 1 Against Coastal
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 - Donavon Greene
Chris Silva returning to
NBA Playoffs
Hosting as a 2 seed?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #41
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Former Dan Werner QB: ‘Jake Bentley should be excited’

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
Roper never seemed to give Jake some easy throws to calm him down & get in a rhythm.
I agree with this. If you are calling plays, you have to take a players pregame psyche into account. If you know Jake is coming out fired up, which is not necessarily a bad thing, give him some plays to settle him down a bit. Short quick reads that get the ball out, don't require a ton of decision making and get the ball in a play makers hands. Once he settles down a bit, let him start throwing the deep balls.

Hopefully, we see this in the fall.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #42
Sides
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I place more of the blame on Jake Bentley and some of the poor play of the Wide Receivers than I do Roper.
If you are going to place blame on the offense, I think it should begin with o-line and the running game. I don't want to be one of those people that blames the o-line for everything but our run game was absolutely pathetic. How do you expect Bentley to improve without any support in the run game? How many times were we stopped on third/forth and short this year?

I have a hard time criticizing anything Bentley does right now. His passing ability was the only reason we scored any points this year. We were probably better this year throwing on third and long than we were running on third and short. If he weren't on the roster we would likely be the worst offensive team in the SEC and definitely not a 9 win team. Without him, we do not play in a bowl game the last 2 years. Obviously we need to improve but QB is one of the positions I am least worried about for the next 2 years.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #43
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Did he coach good Bo or bad Bo? 'Cause Bad Bo was kind of turrible.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #44
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
How many times were we stopped on third/forth and short this year?
How many times did the OL actually block their guys and the stops were other causes?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #45
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
If you are going to place blame on the offense, I think it should begin with o-line and the running game. I don't want to be one of those people that blames the o-line for everything but our run game was absolutely pathetic. How do you expect Bentley to improve without any support in the run game? How many times were we stopped on third/forth and short this year?

I have a hard time criticizing anything Bentley does right now. His passing ability was the only reason we scored any points this year. We were probably better this year throwing on third and long than we were running on third and short. If he weren't on the roster we would likely be the worst offensive team in the SEC and definitely not a 9 win team. Without him, we do not play in a bowl game the last 2 years. Obviously we need to improve but QB is one of the positions I am least worried about for the next 2 years.
The pathetic O Line and run game is actually Exhibit A for why Roper is gone. It seemed that every run was up the middle against a stacked box, even when the undersized AJ Turner was in at RB. And how many times did Bentley's number get called? I know he is not a running QB, but he is capable and got good yardage when he did run. That means that the D was keyed on stopping the running back going up the middle.

Outside runs, QB runs, misdirection, quick screens all stretch the D and avoid the situation that you saw last year, with conservative off-tackle runs being stuffed again and again. The Dallas Cowboys could be blocking and Ezekiel Elliott could have been the RB, and we would still get stopped if he ran up the middle every play.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #46
Sides
Recruit

Male

Sides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
The pathetic O Line and run game is actually Exhibit A for why Roper is gone. It seemed that every run was up the middle against a stacked box, even when the undersized AJ Turner was in at RB. And how many times did Bentley's number get called? I know he is not a running QB, but he is capable and got good yardage when he did run. That means that the D was keyed on stopping the running back going up the middle.

Outside runs, QB runs, misdirection, quick screens all stretch the D and avoid the situation that you saw last year, with conservative off-tackle runs being stuffed again and again. The Dallas Cowboys could be blocking and Ezekiel Elliott could have been the RB, and we would still get stopped if he ran up the middle every play.
I totally agree Roper needed to go, I was not trying to defend him in that post. My issue is with people who complain about Bentley. I don't think he had a great year but look at what he has done since becoming the starter. We are actually coming off a 9 win season with a victory over Jim Harbaugh's Michigan team in the Outback bowl. Remember where we were midway through the 2016 season?

To answer your question about Bentley running, I don't think the coaches had many designed runs for him because he was the one player on this team we couldn't afford to lose. I do think it is bad coaching to run the read option with a QB that won't run. I will never claim to know more about coaching football than our coaches but something had to change. We have to develop a consistent run game before Bentley can reach his full potential.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #47
Sides
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
How many times did the OL actually block their guys and the stops were other causes?
I am not sure what you are asking? I didn't blame the o line for all our problems, I am sure there are a bunch of different reasons. I was just stating that our short yardage (and red zone) running game was beyond bad.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #48
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am not sure what you are asking? I didn't blame the o line for all our problems, I am sure there are a bunch of different reasons. I was just stating that our short yardage (and red zone) running game was beyond bad.
I asked you "how many times did the OL actually block their guys and the stops were other causes"?
If you're going to attack our OL, then have you actually watched them block? It's a straighforward question.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #49
Sides
Recruit

Male

Quote:
I asked you "how many times did the OL actually block their guys and the stops were other causes"?
If you're going to attack our OL, then have you actually watched them block? It's a straighforward question.
I am sorry. It was a dumb question so I thought I would give you a chance to rephrase it. Instead you doubled down so here you go:

I think one time a running back tripped on a well blocked play. Probably some incomplete passes that were well blocked. Most of the other time it was because there was no push nor was there a hole to run through. Likely a combination of bad RBs, oline, and coaching.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #50
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
So who was responsible for those "streaks" of great play from Jake, many of which were later in thegame when the team was struggling and he made plays that he wasn't making early? There were a few times when Jake's play pretty much won games that we were on the way to losing. He hadplenty of confidence on those drives. He had the same QB coach when he was sitting on the bench for half of his Freshman year and learning the offense on the practice field, and the same QB coach when he took over the team at the halfway point of 2016 and was consistently GOOD at running the offense, finding open WRs / RBs and making plays with his legs when he had to. During thathalf season, he had plenty of confidence in his ability to run the offense and it was with the same coach and staff as the one he had in 2017. As stated earlier, it was time to drop Roper and look for an upgrade for that job, but he was notthe problem with Jake's lack of production or indecision through the 2017 season. Jake and already proven he had confidence and ability to run the same offense in 2017 that he executed well in 2016. Whatever caused the issues with Jake this past season was not a lack of skill or talent. His problem was mental or something as simple as a mechanical flaw that he picked up in the off season between 2016 and 2017. My OPINION is that it was mental and if that's the case, then the best QB coach in the country won't eliminate that problem in a few weeks while the season is underway and the bulk of Jake's time was spent working on the gameplan on the practice field and in the film room. I agree that Roper was not the OC or QB coach that this team needed to
get us back to relivence in the Eastern Conf. Race, but he was not the problem with Jake's problems
and inconsistencies during 2017 season.
2016 was totally different that 2017. There was zero pressure on him, we were 2-4, and defenses had never seen him so they didn’t have an opportunity to game plan against him. In no way am I saying Bentley didn’t deserve some of the blame for his poor play and/or decision making.

I don’t recall him bringing us back from losing any games last year. He played well against N C State but we led the whole game. He did take us on a drive against LaTech, but the pass that won us the game was a better play by Edwards, not a great pass by Bentley. I could make an argument that he cost us the UK game. He almost cost us the Florida game. He was partly responsible for the Clemson game. He was great in the second half against Michigan, but we had a different OC for that game.

Look, I think he has the potential for being a great QB and has shown flashes of that. It was Roper’s responsibility to call plays that helped him succeed. It was also Roper’s responsibility to try to say and do things in practice that would make him a better QB. I think having Dan Werner now as the QB coach, you will see a much more consistent and confident Bentley next year. We’ll see.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #51
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Most of the other time it was because there was no push nor was there a hole to run through.
So you didn't watch the OL, otherwise you wouldn't post this.
Quote:
I am sorry.
No you're not.
Where were you when all this was discussed repeatedly during the season?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #52
Sides
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Where were you when all this was discussed repeatedly during the season?
I have a life you loser. Piss off
Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #53
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

The OL was mediocre last year, but that was a huge improvement from the years before. We have had a poor talent level overall there. AJ Cannot was great. Shell and Robinson we're decent, but very inconsistent. Outside of that, we have had very little talent or player development at that spot. I have no doubt that things will continue to improve with Wolf. Next year should be above average. Players are developing, which is nice to see.

I realize that you have some fantasy about us having an Offensive Line for the past few years that is not to blame. Bad coaching, bad QB play (horrible before Bentley), lack of overall talent and so on. I agree with all of that. But, the OL stunk just as much as the rest of the team.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #54
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
The OL was mediocre last year, but that was a huge improvement from the years before. We have had a poor talent level overall there. AJ Cannot was great. Shell and Robinson we're decent, but very inconsistent. Outside of that, we have had very little talent or player development at that spot. I have no doubt that things will continue to improve with Wolf. Next year should be above average. Players are developing, which is nice to see.

I realize that you have some fantasy about us having an Offensive Line for the past few years that is not to blame. Bad coaching, bad QB play (horrible before Bentley), lack of overall talent and so on. I agree with all of that. But, the OL stunk just as much as the rest of the team.
Cann has been a full-time starter in the NFL, Shell started this year, Robinson is an active roster guy with 3 starts. So maybe we have had a little more talent than you are thinking?

Bailey will play in the NFL, and Stanley and Daley have a good shot also. Each is a Senior this year so experience is a plus also.

The poor O Line play is more due to poor schemes and play calling, with some injuries thrown in. If the O Line really sucked, the NFL would be staying away.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #55
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

BMac owes a huge favor to TRob for getting him the OC job. Had the defense not saved out ass the last couple of possessions of the bowl game, the feelings toward McClendon would be starkly different.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:10 AM   #56
scfan2001
I'm comin for u

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot materialscfan2001 is USC mascot material

Not much time to install an offense before the bowl game. Should get a better idea next month
scfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:59 AM   #57
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfan2001 View Post
Not much time to install an offense before the bowl game. Should get a better idea next month
Most practices will be closed, I don't think you'll get much of an idea next month about what the offense looks like. I expect the Spring Game will be pretty vanilla, no point in giving away much with arguably our biggest game of the season in Week 2 this year.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #58
Y Formation
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11840
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockRoche View Post
BMac owes a huge favor to TRob for getting him the OC job. Had the defense not saved out ass the last couple of possessions of the bowl game, the feelings toward McClendon would be starkly different.
I think that's more on Muschamp. He wants the defense to win those type of games. He purposely went conservative with the lead and wanted to win the game with the defense on the field. I would rather and try to get a first down or two and run out the clock, but I'm not the HC.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #59
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 262
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
I think that's more on Muschamp. He wants the defense to win those type of games. He purposely went conservative with the lead and wanted to win the game with the defense on the field. I would rather and try to get a first down or two and run out the clock, but I'm not the HC.
That’s not what i heard...

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #60
gocockswyn
Bowl MVP

Female

CockyCash: 5500
gocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock ray View Post
I'm very happy to get a new quarterback coach and especially one with such an impeccable track record for developing quarterbacks. The first thing that I hope he does is teach Jake how to calm down. Jake comes out of the tunnel with a linebacker mentality and it takes him a half game to calm down. The best quarterbacks are calm and cerebral. The SEC doesn't allow you a half to play catch-up.
So true.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote