CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
kick_ball
carolina_corpsman
FurmanCock
TaySC
COCKYWOOD
rabid cock
Captain9Dragons
TastyLicks
Blitzkrieg
2018 NCAA Softball T (4089)
PODCAST: The Transfe (763)
Colorado...Breck...B (352)
Josh Belk
AKORN GRILL FROM LOWE'S
Hosting as a 2 seed?
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 - Zacch Pickens
2019 - Tra Wilkins
**GAME #3 USC (31-22) vs.
2019 - Ben Smiley
2019 - Joseph Anderson
2018 NCAA Softball Tourna

Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
bbergcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 2978
bbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervous
Default New Smart TV

I'm looking to purchase a new Smart TV and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Just looking for a basic smart TV nothing too fancy. Any suggestions would be appreciated

bbergcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: New Smart TV

Not the cheapest, but the picture quality of the LG OLED tv's can not be beat.

Also, even though its a "smart" tv, I recommend using a roku or dedicated device for streaming, seems to run smoother and in general work better.
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Samsung or LG only. If you can afford OLED, congrats for having it like that. OLED is the undisputable best picture money can buy.

Otherwise, Samsung or LG 6400 series or higher, preferably 7000 or higher.

LG model numbers like 55UH7700 are an easy code to read. 55=screen size, U=ultra high-def/4k, H=Model year(higher the letter, newer the tv and therefore better features), 7700=overall quality level(usually range from 4000 to 9000).

Samsung puts the letters before the screen size and the year after, but its the same system.

I have a Samsung UN65H6400 and it's good, but I also have a couple other black friday cheapies in the bedroom and on the porch for when I'm grilling or just would rather be outside.

Only drawback to the Samsung and LGs that I've noticed is no Watchespn app. Need a roku/firestick/chromecast/appletv for that.

My cheapies are roku tvs(hitachi), picture is not terrible for the money and sound quality is lacking, but they get all content I want.

If this is going to be your primary tv, absolutely get an audio solution.
Its up to you how good you want it to be, so it doesn't have to be a $4,000 home theater if that's not your thing. But trust me, these TVs are not engineered to sound good. They're made to look good. I've seen countless people disappointed with great TVs because its "missing something" or "I thought I'd like it more". What they don't realize is that while it looks amazing, it sounds like sh!t coming out of tiny, rear facing speakers. Soundbar or home theater in a box, either way with a subwoofer. Audiophiles will talk about how you need this or that pro quality setup, and for their tastes, they do need that. Everyday Joes may not need or want to pay for all that, but that doesn't mean they don't need an audio solution. It is a must if you are going to feel like you're getting your money's worth.

Last edited by hank scorpio; 06-13-2017 at 01:32 PM..
hank scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 4951
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Has anyone got a Smart TV that they've got working with the google home?
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
bbergcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 2978
bbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervousbbergcock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Samsung or LG only. If you can afford OLED, congrats for having it like that. OLED is the undisputable best picture money can buy.

Otherwise, Samsung or LG 6400 series or higher, preferably 7000 or higher.

LG model numbers like 55UH7700 are an easy code to read. 55=screen size, U=ultra high-def/4k, H=Model year(higher the letter, newer the tv and therefore better features), 7700=overall quality level(usually range from 4000 to 9000).

Samsung puts the letters before the screen size and the year after, but its the same system.

I have a Samsung UN65H6400 and it's good, but I also have a couple other black friday cheapies in the bedroom and on the porch for when I'm grilling or just would rather be outside.

Only drawback to the Samsung and LGs that I've noticed is no Watchespn app. Need a roku/firestick/chromecast/appletv for that.

My cheapies are roku tvs(hitachi), picture is not terrible for the money and sound quality is lacking, but they get all content I want.

If this is going to be your primary tv, absolutely get an audio solution.
Its up to you how good you want it to be, so it doesn't have to be a $4,000 home theater if that's not your thing. But trust me, these TVs are not engineered to sound good. They're made to look good. I've seen countless people disappointed with great TVs because its "missing something" or "I thought I'd like it more". What they don't realize is that while it looks amazing, it sounds like sh!t coming out of tiny, rear facing speakers. Soundbar or home theater in a box, either way with a subwoofer. Audiophiles will talk about how you need this or that pro quality setup, and for their tastes, they do need that. Everyday Joes may not need or want to pay for all that, but that doesn't mean they don't need an audio solution. It is a must if you are going to feel like you're getting your money's worth.
Thanks for the info. It will be my primary TV so I'll look into a sound system

bbergcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbergcock View Post

To me the sound is more important that the display, and Hank is right, those tiny thin drivers on the new TV's today are useless. I am still watching a 50" Plasma "dumb" tv, but I have two big tower speakers and a pretty decent subwoofer for a 2.1 solution, I live in a town-home so I won't go bigger than that, but have a 9.4.4 system in mind when I move into a home that can support it. There are tons of options for any budget.

If your interested, that is a personal hobby so let me know if you need suggestions within a price range.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

I have the SUHD 8500 series Samsung. It is amazing, the smart tv functions are solid. But a Roku device or other streaming device is really a nice add-on.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfsu23 View Post
I have the SUHD 8500 series Samsung. It is amazing, the smart tv functions are solid. But a Roku device or other streaming device is really a nice add-on.
That is a REALLY nice TV.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfsu23 View Post
Really nice rig. What size did you get? What are you doing for sound? I am really enjoying using Amazon's Fire TV with my older Sony. It is even Alexa enabled for voice control.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

I bought a Samsung smart tv a couple of months ago. I can't complain. It's a good tv with a great picture and easy to use and setup. I did disocver that having the "smart" features was a bit of a waste since I use a Firestick, PS4, u-versze box, etc. to watch programming. I have only used the smart features of the tv itself a couple of times.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1674744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbergcock View Post
I wanted a tiny bit of extra sound from my 55" Vizio. The TV speakers tend to rattle or vibrate if turned up beyond a normal voice level. I have a 5.1 surround system upstairs, so I didn't need all of that for this TV. I ended up picking up a Vizio sound bar with wireless sub. It doesn't rattle the windows, but is very good for the money.
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-.../dp/B00SMBG8QY
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 2234400758473
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I have a Samsung 6700 curved screen model. I have been happy with it.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Pony View Post
I wanted a tiny bit of extra sound from my 55" Vizio. The TV speakers tend to rattle or vibrate if turned up beyond a normal voice level. I have a 5.1 surround system upstairs, so I didn't need all of that for this TV. I ended up picking up a Vizio sound bar with wireless sub. It doesn't rattle the windows, but is very good for the money.
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-.../dp/B00SMBG8QY
I'm looking at something like that to put on the patio. When the ac is running or the crickets are going, my cheap tv gets hard to hear. I can't justify a lot of money for an outdoor setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
I have a Samsung 6700 curved screen model. I have been happy with it.
Yeah, that's a great TV.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Want an OLED. Waiting for price to come down some more.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #15
ultimatetailgater
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Want an OLED. Waiting for price to come down some more.
Unless Samsung and Sony fully commit back to the consumer TV OLED market(which is unlikely given Samsung's heavy investment into mobile displays and Quantum Dot LCD TVs) it's not coming down much any time soon. LCD is far cheaper to produce with much better yield results per panel. Plus with the gains in quantum dot/phosphor technologies you may soon see them replace OLED all together in the next few year since they are developing self emitting "QLED" displays that can do all the things OLED can do in addition to being inorganic with a much longer lifespan. The only main hurdle left is QLED currently uses cadmium in toxic levels to give them an extended color range but hopefully once cadmium free version go into production we'll starting to see some true QLED TVs on the market.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm looking at something like that to put on the patio. When the ac is running or the crickets are going, my cheap tv gets hard to hear. I can't justify a lot of money for an outdoor setup.

Yeah, that's a great TV.

For an outdoor TV, I would look for an oldschool LCD tv. I have a setup where I put up two TV's outside on game days and the texture screen on the older LCD tv's cuts the glare so much better than the newer LED tv's. If you can find one, that is what I would do. They weight a ton compared to the LED but otherwise if there is sunlight outside, it can case a pretty good glare on your screen...

Or maybe there is a product that you can put over a screen to reduce glare...

Last edited by ShutTheSuccop; 06-22-2017 at 10:42 AM..
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
For an outdoor TV, I would look for an oldschool LCD tv. I have a setup where I put up two TV's outside on game days and the texture screen on the older LCD tv's cuts the glare so much better than the newer LED tv's. If you can find one, that is what I would do. They weight a ton compared to the LED but otherwise if there is sunlight outside, it can case a pretty good glare on your screen...

Or maybe there is a product that you can put over a screen to reduce glare...
Thanks. That is a good way to go for most folks because they can upgrade to an LED in their living or bedroom and move the old one outside for that. I have a screened in porch and the way the house faces, along with having a roof over head, glare isn't much of an issue. We've basically turned it into an outdoor living room with the Kamado Joe just outside on the wooden deck and my weber gas grill in the porch for rainy days.

I specifically put LED out there because its so much brighter than LCD and while direct glare isn't an issue, contrast can be if its too light outside. There is a one hour period in the evening when the sun sets and shines right in our eyes. Its about like sitting in section 416 at WB in the fall in the 2nd quarter of a night game. The TV still looks great and is shielded from the sun. I got some outdoor curtains at Ikea last week so those should fix that problem.

Now I just need something to sound better when the AC kicks on. I'm playing the clearance sections of stores for now until I find the right balance of quality and price.

Last edited by hank scorpio; 06-22-2017 at 12:24 PM..
hank scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Thanks. That is a good way to go for most folks because they can upgrade to an LED in their living or bedroom and move the old one outside for that. I have a screened in porch and the way the house faces, along with having a roof over head, glare isn't much of an issue. We've basically turned it into an outdoor living room with the Kamado Joe just outside on the wooden deck and my weber gas grill in the porch for rainy days.

I specifically put LED out there because its so much brighter than LCD and while direct glare isn't an issue, contrast can be if its too light outside. There is a one hour period in the evening when the sun sets and shines right in our eyes. Its about like sitting in section 416 at WB in the fall in the 2nd quarter of a night game. The TV still looks great and is shielded from the sun. I got some outdoor curtains at Ikea last week so those should fix that problem.

Now I just need something to sound better when the AC kicks on. I'm playing the clearance sections of stores for now until I find the right balance of quality and price.
Check this page out, lots of great products and the prices are hard to beat.

http://www.accessories4less.com/
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I'm looking for a new tv in our living room. I think my current is a plasma, and I can upgrade to a 55" in the space I have.

Samsung QLED look good or LG OLED? And is there anything to the "curve"? Does it do anything? Any accessories. I guess i have read about sound...but reviews seem to be mixed on whether sound accessories are needed. I am thinking yes because the living room where tv sits has high ceilings.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 88872939627
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Stick with LG or Samsung. At least if something goes wrong, you can get your TV serviced in home. Buy something else..... who knows.....

AND...... buy the extended warranty. If something goes wrong with your panel after a year (line, backlight, etc), you may have a doorstop if you don't have an extended warranty.
ucan'tlickourcocks is offline   Reply With Quote