CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
SanAntonioCock
Flameout12
Senior Rooster
Spurticus
The Yancey
MountainCock
Georgia RB (504)
Radio for OL footbal (314)
LLWS (108)
Bryan Edwards is the (90)
Parking/Tailgating f (78)
2 Georgia Tickets (36)
Bryan Edwards is the Punt
Georgia RB
2 Georgia Tickets
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
LLWS
Is Urban Meyer in Trouble
Taylor Stallworth Update
High school football has
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 Commitment - Cameron

Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Computer Repair

I have a Dell XPS15 (9550) that is telling me that will not charge. I have replaced the battery and the power adapter, updated all the drivers and have the most current bios. After talking with Dell, they seem to think it is something internal, either an issue with the female end of the charger or possibly the motherboard unfortunately.

Dell wants $40 upfront to mail them the laptop and then they will run more diagnostics and let me know how much more it will cost to fix. BestBuy wants $35 to do the same thing. Either way it would have to be mailed off for diagnostics.

Does anybody know any computer repair places in Columbia that could possibly fix this issue without having to ship it off?

Second question, if it is the motherboard, is it worth replacing or just trying to sell the XPS for parts and buying something new? It's only 2 years old. i7 processor 16 gb Ram if that helps.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Computer Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I have a Dell XPS15 (9550) that is telling me that will not charge. I have replaced the battery and the power adapter, updated all the drivers and have the most current bios. After talking with Dell, they seem to think it is something internal, either an issue with the female end of the charger or possibly the motherboard unfortunately.

Dell wants $40 upfront to mail them the laptop and then they will run more diagnostics and let me know how much more it will cost to fix. BestBuy wants $35 to do the same thing. Either way it would have to be mailed off for diagnostics.

Does anybody know any computer repair places in Columbia that could possibly fix this issue without having to ship it off?

Second question, if it is the motherboard, is it worth replacing or just trying to sell the XPS for parts and buying something new? It's only 2 years old. i7 processor 16 gb Ram if that helps.
Did you do the good ole power button trick? You remove all external cords and the battery. Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in, and try to charge it. This also helps if your laptop won't come on, or does a quick boot up and power down. It's a residual charge.

"Power off the system. Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the battery from it. Press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds to release the residual charge from the laptop." http://en.community.dell.com/support...518/t/19451836
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Did you do the good ole power button trick? You remove all external cords and the battery. Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in. Try it again.
No, but I physically replaced the battery which involves those steps. It's a bit of a PITA to get to the battery.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Cockygaming
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 850600
Cockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPit

Have you tried a different power cable?

As for the other question, it would depend on the price of the motherboard. If you’re comfortable buying a new one, I’d go that route. That being said, if the repair was a good bit cheaper than the cost to replace, I’d explore that option.
Cockygaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockygaming View Post
Have you tried a different power cable?

As for the other question, it would depend on the price of the motherboard. If youre comfortable buying a new one, Id go that route. That being said, if the repair was a good bit cheaper than the cost to replace, Id explore that option.
Yup, tried it with another Dell power cable.

Yeah, it was not a cheap laptop, but I don't know if its worth spending more than a few hundred dollars to fix given its already a few years old.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Cockygaming
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 850600
Cockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPitCockygaming rules the CockPit

Well components wise, laptops don’t have much. Sounds to me like Dell is probably right to assume one of those other 2 if the power supply and the battery are good.

I know it’s a pain, but do you have a way to test charging the battery outside of the laptop. That might give you a better idea if it’s the female connector or not.
Cockygaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockygaming View Post
Well components wise, laptops don’t have much. Sounds to me like Dell is probably right to assume one of those other 2 if the power supply and the battery are good.

I know it’s a pain, but do you have a way to test charging the battery outside of the laptop. That might give you a better idea if it’s the female connector or not.
Is there a way I can do that? I am sort of at the end of my computer knowledge.

Last edited by carolina_corpsman; 01-10-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 110510508
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

It is most likely the cable/ribbon that connects the battery charging port to the system board. I did a few warranty repairs at work in my old position on Dells for that very issue.

you can test the theory by connecting it to a docking station.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
It is most likely the cable/ribbon that connects the battery charging port to the system board. I did a few warranty repairs at work in my old position on Dells for that very issue.

That sounds a lot cheaper than a motherboard. Do you have any idea what that would run price wise?

I don't currently have a docking station is there any other test I can run for this, if so is it a complicated DIY fix? Or am I better off just sending it off?

Since you seem to be pretty experienced, would you recommend sending it to the manufacturer over Geek Squad for the repair?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 205970507
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

i have 2 dell laptops with the same issue, ended up leaving the battery out and using like a desktop, blows

new battery, doesn't recognize, "not charging"

holler if you find a solution
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
acejrock

Male

acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material

Quote:
That sounds a lot cheaper than a motherboard. Do you have any idea what that would run price wise?

I don't currently have a docking station is there any other test I can run for this, if so is it a complicated DIY fix? Or am I better off just sending it off?

Since you seem to be pretty experienced, would you recommend sending it to the manufacturer over Geek Squad for the repair?
Is it under warranty? If so, most definitely submit a warranty claim with Dell.

If not, it all depends how comfortable you are disassembling and reassembling you are. Keep in mind the 40 bucks or 35 bucks is a "diagnostic fee" you will end up paying at least 1 (probably 1.5-2hr labor)
plus the part which is nominal.

The ONLY reason to use Geek Squad would be if you bought something thru best buy that requires you to use their service.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #12
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Is it under warranty? If so, most definitely submit a warranty claim with Dell.

If not, it all depends how comfortable you are disassembling and reassembling you are. Keep in mind the 40 bucks or 35 bucks is a "diagnostic fee" you will end up paying at least 1 (probably 1.5-2hr labor)
plus the part which is nominal.

The ONLY reason to use Geek Squad would be if you bought something thru best buy that requires you to use their service.
It is not under warranty, so I would be coming out of pocket. I think I would probably feel better sending it off and spending a bit of money, to ensure someone that actually knows what they are doing does the repair. Seems like a few hundred bucks and a week or two wait would be worth it.

As for Geek Squad, I don't know much about their computer support, but I know I have been behind them on a number of home theater jobs that they ruined. So Dell it is.

Thank you for the help, and I hope you are right!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
acejrock

Male

Quote:
It is not under warranty, so I would be coming out of pocket. I think I would probably feel better sending it off and spending a bit of money, to ensure someone that actually knows what they are doing does the repair. Seems like a few hundred bucks and a week or two wait would be worth it.

As for Geek Squad, I don't know much about their computer support, but I know I have been behind them on a number of home theater jobs that they ruined. So Dell it is.

Thank you for the help, and I hope you are right!
If it's not under warranty, you can use one of the local pc shops too. Call them and ask them what they'd charge for this type of repair.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #14
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
If it's not under warranty, you can use one of the local pc shops too. Call them and ask them what they'd charge for this type of repair.
Thanks again.

USC does offer diagnostic services to students and I think it's free, I might take it by there tomorrow and hope they can pin-point the problem, then I will find a local shop that could do the fix. Might save me a few bucks. Mr. PC looks like they charge $100 for basic charger port repair. So hope that's about what I am looking at.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #15
acejrock

Male

If you are quoting the right model number you have plenty of motivation to fix instead of replace.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #16
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
If you are quoting the right model number you have plenty of motivation to fix instead of replace.
Yeah, it's a been a great machine so far. I was hoping to keep it for at least a few more years.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:

Took it to a local shop this morning, they were pretty sure it was the charger-port, they are going to run some diagnostics and go from there. Quoted $100 for the repair, and said about a week does this sound about right?
Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #18
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons View Post
i have 2 dell laptops with the same issue, ended up leaving the battery out and using like a desktop, blows

new battery, doesn't recognize, "not charging"

holler if you find a solution
I'll know in about a week. I'll post on here if replacing the charger port solves the issue.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #19
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 264
RockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot materialRockRocks787 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Quote:

I took my computer to Mr. PC on Bull St. a few years ago. It had a bootkit virus and they removed it for a really good price.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #20
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
I took my computer to Mr. PC on Bull St. a few years ago. It had a bootkit virus and they removed it for a really good price.
Good to know. I took it to the Mr. PC in Harbison. They seemed to get good reviews online. Glad to hear another positive recommendation.