CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Flameout12
thekob
CapitolCock
CockyLifer
Canefaninsc
TastyLicks
Lonnie
Cocky2001
Master Bedroom
The drops aren't on (1492)
The critique of the (1416)
Is there a good answ (722)
Gamecocks Wide Recei (445)
Why are we so bad 1s (338)
After a 100 calls go (284)
Handing out rep like (75)
Need Two For Tenness (9)
The drops aren't on the r
Gamecocks Wide Receivers
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
Jake Bentley or Bust
WBB: Leticia Amihere #2 i
Is there a good answer as
Serious Question to our f
Handing out rep like cand
UGA Dropping 4 Star Playe
Gator Fan's Perspective o

Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #21
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 72900000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Cord Cutting Question thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
So enlighten me.

Last year I cut cable except for the basic channels (first 25 or whatever) in order to get cable/internet for around 60$ per month. Without, internet would've been 70+. I have Netflix, and at that time HBO and Hulu (I think...needed something for regular channel lineups). My total per month was about 100$.

New house, with charter now, and have internet, cable, and one box for 110$ per month. Without the cable box, the internet would've be 80$ and knock out any savings. Plus the pain and ugliness of having a HD antennae.

Serious question: How can I get HBO, Netflix, local channels, ESPN and sports, and access to HGTV stuff for less than 100$ per month without using some jail busted junk (I'm a grown man, not in college anymore).
See my post, everything you want but HBO and Netflix. The outside ANT is less than 10lbs closer to 5 easily mounted on chim, pole etc.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #22
jch81
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
jch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
To be honest, I tried to read through some of the threads on this topic but there are so many questions I have about cutting the cord, I was hoping that some of you pros could help me out.

For instance:

1. If I cut out my satellite subscription, will my Watch ESPN account still work? If not, what do I need to do? Is there an extra fee to have one?
2. What option is the best for the selection of channels: Roku, Fire Stick, Sling, etc.? My viewing choices are the big 4 plus AMC, Food network, ESPN channels, Disney channel, Nick Jr and a few other channels I canít think of right off the bat
3. Is it best to have a couple different selections? Why?
4. Can you DVR with any of these services?

I might need to add to this later on. Thanks and I will give reps.
You should try Youtube TV. Switched from Charter to them a few months back and haven't looked back. $35 per month for everything. No tiers unless you want to add hbo.

Includes every sports channel you can think of including espnu, espn news, sec network, etc. plus about 40 other channels including locals. No longer need watch espn as you can use youtube tv on any smart tv, smart phone, xbox, etc.

One subscription gets you access to create up to 6 profiles each with their own unlimited DVR.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #23
Cockygaming
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1153600
Cockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
You should try Youtube TV. Switched from Charter to them a few months back and haven't looked back. $35 per month for everything. No tiers unless you want to add hbo.

Includes every sports channel you can think of including espnu, espn news, sec network, etc. plus about 40 other channels including locals. No longer need watch espn as you can use youtube tv on any smart tv, smart phone, xbox, etc.

One subscription gets you access to create up to 6 profiles each with their own unlimited DVR.
I assume you can watch it on the go to so long as you have a data plan (unlimited) that would allow for it?
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
jch81
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
jch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPitjch81 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockygaming View Post
I assume you can watch it on the go to so long as you have a data plan (unlimited) that would allow for it?
Yes. Google was giving away a free chrome cast for signing up at one point. Not sure if that is still going on.

The app allows you to watch directly or cast to a tv if you dont have a smart tv. You can also set up all the things you want to record directly from the app
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #25
Cockygaming
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1153600
Cockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot materialCockygaming is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
Yes. Google was giving away a free chrome cast for signing up at one point. Not sure if that is still going on.

The app allows you to watch directly or cast to a tv if you dont have a smart tv. You can also set up all the things you want to record directly from the app
Interesting. I have a chrome cast (gen 1 I believe) that I got for free when they came out. (Free is relative as I used rewards for a good thing money on it) So nothing that came out of my pocket unless you count opportunity cost haha.
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #26
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I have been happy with my switch from regular cable to ATT. By switching my wireless from Verizon to them I have a decent bundle. I pay $50 for Internet and $46.61 for DIRECTV including HBO and the Sunday NFL ticket. I can watch anywhere on my phone or tablets. I have some other add-ons such as Netflix, and Showtime but they are MUCH cheaper to get through my Amazon Prime account than from DTV, close to half price. Of course Prime has its own shows and benefits. I also have a FireStick, a Chromecast, and a ROKU TV. I think that I am covered.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #27
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1343234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

This thread confirms my gut instinct there is not much to be saved. I will probably cut my movie channel subscriptions because other than GoT we dont watch anything so not worth $25/month.

Interesting what people now say they cannot live without....dvr, pausing live tv...are these things we really need? For the record, my family has never had them, I see no reason to get them. with On demand feature I can find a show if I miss it. Still baffled by pausing live tv...I have been over houses that have it, but with all the apps and stuff if we pause a football game I still get notifications on my phone so it doesnt have any value to me. Go ahead and sell it to me...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #28
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
This thread confirms my gut instinct there is not much to be saved. I will probably cut my movie channel subscriptions because other than GoT we dont watch anything so not worth $25/month.

Interesting what people now say they cannot live without....dvr, pausing live tv...are these things we really need? For the record, my family has never had them, I see no reason to get them. with On demand feature I can find a show if I miss it. Still baffled by pausing live tv...I have been over houses that have it, but with all the apps and stuff if we pause a football game I still get notifications on my phone so it doesnt have any value to me. Go ahead and sell it to me...
It depends what you want. If you are happy with the 20 or so channels from sling and what you can get OTA, that there is a savings. If you have to have HBO, Stars, DVR etc. than no, it's not much savings.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #29
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
It depends what you want. If you are happy with the 20 or so channels from sling and what you can get OTA, that there is a savings. If you have to have HBO, Stars, DVR etc. than no, it's not much savings.
Corpsman, With Sling I am saving over $100 a month all ESPN channels, SEC and SEC+ over 50 channels DVR $47 plus $65 for high speed internet at Spectrum.
I love it.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #30
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
Corpsman, With Sling I am saving over $100 a month all ESPN channels, SEC and SEC+ over 50 channels DVR $47 plus $65 for high speed internet at Spectrum.
I love it.
Honestly, if we didn't get cable as part of the HOA I would just have OTA, Amazon Prime and Sling and I would be perfectly content.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #31
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I am locked in price wise for 3 years on U-verse for a $50 tv package that includes HBO. That will expire this spring. I sure my rate will skyrocket and then I will be looking around. I have cut the cord in the past and used an antenna. But it was before sling, PlayStation vue and the like.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #32
GarnetLaw
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
GarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his combGarnetLaw is developing his comb

We just cut uverse and went with Directv Now and have cut our bill by more than half saving about 120 a month. So far the service has been great and they're running a deal that if you prepay for 4 months @35 a month they give you a free 4k apple tv worth about 200 bucks. Plus if you have att internet it still counts for their bundle package and you save on the internet coverage.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #33
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 121021016
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
I love it.
How in the world were you paying over 200/mo before?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #34
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
I am locked in price wise for 3 years on U-verse for a $50 tv package that includes HBO. That will expire this spring. I sure my rate will skyrocket and then I will be looking around. I have cut the cord in the past and used an antenna. But it was before sling, PlayStation vue and the like.
They are pushing everyone to DTV. They will offer you good deals to make the switch.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #35
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 4951
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Only interest in broadcast TV is sports. Sling during football season, like $47. Next year will go with Hulu or Youtube. I'm in the Panthers market, so get those games OTA. Watch netflix and Prime stuff off-season.

Hardware on different sets: Roku stick, chromecast, XB1

Recommendation: Roku and Hulu. These are month-over-month. If the ESPN suite becomes available as streaming service ...
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #36
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 121021016
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetLaw View Post
We just cut uverse and went with Directv Now and have cut our bill by more than half saving about 120 a month. So far the service has been great and they're running a deal that if you prepay for 4 months @35 a month they give you a free 4k apple tv worth about 200 bucks. Plus if you have att internet it still counts for their bundle package and you save on the internet coverage.
Again, how did you pay 240 per month before? That makes no sense.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:44 AM   #37
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
How in the world were you paying over 200/mo before?
$147 for Directv and $65 for Internet.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #38
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 4951
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material
Smile Re: The Cord Cutting Question thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
Again, how did you pay 240 per month before? That makes no sense.
He's in Tanzania
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #39
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Directv does give great deals on price..they do eventually get their money back in the form of price hikes..at that point you are pissed and have a dish mounted on your house that is an eyesore..no ty..

Oh yeah, they sucker uneducated people into the 4k market by telling them they have 4 dedicated channels with 4k. They dont tell you its the same concerts/animal documentaries on a loop and that the only time to actually watch 4k realistically is during the superbowl and olympics..

4k is a joke anyway since there are no broadcasters making the jump to 4k tv.. hell, i have a 1080p tv and have to watch a dvd to even experience that. Not one single broadcaster uses anything other than 720p or 1080i..thats not changing anytime soon..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #40
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
They are pushing everyone to DTV. They will offer you good deals to make the switch.
When you talk about DTV are you referring to their internet streaming package 'Direct TVNow' or the old school satellite dish 'Direct TV'?