CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
Senior Rooster
Gamecocks1137
Spur's Addiction
GoldenSpur7
AtlGAMECOCK
lfowens
Cockhornleghorn
rt3891
Opening weekend impr (900)
WBB Transfers (759)
2020 WBB - Kylee Wat (737)
2018 Men's Club Lacr (124)
Oyster Stew (68)
Oyster Stew
Great promo for South Car
2020 WBB - Kylee Watson -
Kory Holden is gone
WBB Transfers
Outcome-Based Goals vs Pr
2020 - Mecose Todd
All Home Games Not Availa
Scott's Bar-B-Que/Lewis B
**USC Women (21-5) vs. Ke

Old 01-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Home Wifi Systems

Has anyone used one of these? Is it essentially a router with a couple repeaters, with the main difference being that it's easier to set up?

Here's what I'm referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/eero-Pro-WiFi...=eero+wifi+pro

We've got a large house and multiple users, so this is something we're considering.

Also, we've got Ethernet cables (I believe) set up to go throughout the house. I'm wondering if I can hook up the router installed by Windstream to that and plug in any devices possible, and also plug in additional routers (rather than range extenders) to broadcast on an identically named network. Would doing that (essentially two routers that are set to the same network name) make things better or worse?

Just FYI, I very well may have gotten some of the terminology wrong, so please bear with me.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
JohnnyB21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 18400
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Home Wifi Systems

If you're gonna fork out the money for that, just get digital life from AT&T. Cheaper up front and great quality
Old 01-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Donít know anything about these specifically. But cable will always be faster and more reliable then WiFi. So if you have it already installed use it.

If you have more the. One router, only one is your actual router. Put any others in pass through mode.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

how is that different than using extenders? I mean we have extenders in our house and they work great! I know nothing about these things and our home is not that big but I can't imagine dropping that much coin when there are already cables run throughout your house
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Has anyone used one of these? Is it essentially a router with a couple repeaters, with the main difference being that it's easier to set up?

Here's what I'm referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/eero-Pro-WiFi...=eero+wifi+pro

We've got a large house and multiple users, so this is something we're considering.

Also, we've got Ethernet cables (I believe) set up to go throughout the house. I'm wondering if I can hook up the router installed by Windstream to that and plug in any devices possible, and also plug in additional routers (rather than range extenders) to broadcast on an identically named network. Would doing that (essentially two routers that are set to the same network name) make things better or worse?

Just FYI, I very well may have gotten some of the terminology wrong, so please bear with me.
It you have cat5e run throughout your house it is a million times better to hook up your devices hardwired than it is to use them wireless. If you still find yourself needing wifi in parts of the house that your main router will not reach then buy some wireless access points and plug them into the Ethernet ports in those rooms to extend your coverage. It would be WAY cheaper than buying the system you are looking at and work much better. Also the system you are looking at is way overpriced. If I were to do a mesh system like that I would go wtih the Netgear Orbi system. It is cheaper and better supported. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-.../dp/B01K4CZOBS
Old 01-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 4951
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Man, 500 clams? I would just try a stronger (wifi) router first.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Man, 500 clams? I would just try a stronger (wifi) router first.
Especially if most of the devices are mobile (phones/laptops/pads).
I guess you could hard wire a smart TV if needed. I run mine via wifi.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

You can't use multiple routers if each one is in full router mode. Part of a routers function is to communicate withe the ISP network to handle routing, DNA requests, DHCP functions etc. More than one router doing this won't work, normally. It can be done, but it requires a lot of IT expertise.
A wireless router is actually a router and a wireless access point in the same box. The access point function simply replaces the hard wire connection. Wireless Routers in pass thru mode simply have the routing function turned off and become access points. Individual Access points are hard wired to a router. You generally can't not have multiple access points advertising the same wireless network name.
It can be done, again with a lot of expertise. Think of a range extender as an access point that connects to the router wireless instead of hardwired. It also differs from an access point in that you can have more than one. It's sort of like an access point in pass thru mode.

In otherwords,just about anything can be done, provided the settings are available in the devices to design the networking functions. Meaning, if you go buy a couple wireless routers, plug them up and expect it to work, good luck.

I never use the ISP Equipments routing or wireless functions. A really good AC capable wireless router with 4 or more large antennas, coupled with one or more range extenders should do it. A lot of it also depends on how many devices you may have simultaneously streaming wireless.

FWIW, when i built my house, i had cat6 wiring put in in a bunch of places. Al. My computers and the main smart tv's are hardwired. This allows me to use less expensive routers, etc. I have a 3000 sq ft house (17 down, 13 up) and I use one wireless router downstairs and one repeater upstairs. My router is an AC 1900 class.

Don't get fooled by routers advertising high power. Wireless is a 2way conversation. A high power router shouts loud and your device may be able to hear it. But, unless it is also a high gain router (if it is, it will say so), it won't be able to hear your device. This is a main reason that range extenders are used. It puts the receiving antenna closer to your device.

I'm doing this on my phone. Please forgive the typos.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
USC97
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1000
USC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spurs

Love my google Wifi
USC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
uscfan1
Make Yourself

Male

CockyCash: 5200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
If you're gonna fork out the money for that, just get digital life from AT&T. Cheaper up front and great quality
Digital life is the security and automation system att offers, bud.
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #11
cocky0
Unmoderated

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
It you have cat5e run throughout your house it is a million times better to hook up your devices hardwired than it is to use them wireless. If you still find yourself needing wifi in parts of the house that your main router will not reach then buy some wireless access points and plug them into the Ethernet ports in those rooms to extend your coverage. It would be WAY cheaper than buying the system you are looking at and work much better. Also the system you are looking at is way overpriced. If I were to do a mesh system like that I would go wtih the Netgear Orbi system. It is cheaper and better supported. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-.../dp/B01K4CZOBS
This x1000.

However another, possibly cheaper option if you don't mind doing some configuration yourself is to just grab another router or two and put them into bridged mode. I've done this with old routers I have around the house when I need a little extra coverage in the back yard.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
USC97
Walk On

Male

USC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spursUSC97 has earned his spurs

My google Wifi is hard wired since I have cat5 throughout the house. Got 3 units for $250 during Black Friday. Simple set up, so I never needed any support. Their app allows me to shut down any device instantly. Did a lot of research and felt it was better than the competition due to its ease of use.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
Cockadoo
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Cockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot materialCockadoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC97 View Post
My google Wifi is hard wired since I have cat5 throughout the house. Got 3 units for $250 during Black Friday. Simple set up, so I never needed any support. Their app allows me to shut down any device instantly. Did a lot of research and felt it was better than the competition due to its ease of use.
How is WiFi hardwired?

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
USC97
Walk On

Male

It is a mesh network. Only one unit needs to be connected via Cat5. The others can connect to the main via WiFi and then send their own signal. You can connect the additional units via cat5 if your home is wired. It creates a stronger signal.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #15
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Here is a list of some that are cheaper.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795...etwork-systems

This is a nice system, it keeps the same network throughout the whole house, and you're connection doesn't get cut like with a plugin unit. I would only recommend this if you have demanding devices at each corner of the house.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
JohnnyB21
Game MVP

Male

JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Edit. Nvm
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #17
JohnnyB21
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfan1 View Post

Digital life is the security and automation system att offers, bud.
I uhh... I don't even have an excuse. I misread everything known to man in his post. I'm even a manager for at&t. Smh...