CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GuyInTheGreenHouse
2k15
M.C.
Take-a-Knee
EAtMoRTaYtErz
GoldenSpur7
Gamecocks1137
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
gotrice?
2017 SEC Tournament: (5622)
Sedee Keita to trans (1380)
Baseball: South Caro (231)
women's bb - freshme (107)
2 Football Tickets f (37)
Sedee Keita to transfer
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
Mcgregor has inked the de
C.J. Bryce
Fans
women's bb - freshmen arr
Game time set for NC Stat
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
2018 - Josh Vann

View Poll Results: Who is the First-Team Gamecock QB?
Todd Ellis 88 14.84%
Dutch Elston 1 0.17%
Johnny Gramling 6 1.01%
Jeff Grantz 99 16.69%
Mike Hold 38 6.41%
Phil Petty 99 16.69%
Tommy Suggs 26 4.38%
Steve Taneyhill 225 37.94%
Other 11 1.85%
Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins
Default All-Time Gamecock Team - QB (Poll)

New thread idea. We are going to vote on the All-Time Gamecock Team. I will start with each position as a poll. First place votes makes first team. Second place makes second.

First up is QB.

If your vote is other, state the other.

All-Time QB Poll
All-Time WR Poll
All-Time RB Poll
All-Time TE Poll
All-Time LB Poll
All-Time DB Poll

Last edited by CockyHoskins; 01-07-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Old 05-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
buzzcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
buzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to buzzcock

This 'cocky' is my opinion of Ellis. He was like Spring......he came in like a Lion and left like a lamb.......killing the offense with delay of game penalties, crumbling when he heard footsteps. Grantz and Suggs never quit.......Ellis did.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
CockyHoskins

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material

buzz, I didn't vote for Ellis. This is my impression of him. I once heard a joke. It went something like this:

Quote:
\"Hey did you hear Todd Ellis tried to commit suicide?\"

\"No.\"

\"Yeah, he did. But the bullet was intercepted.\"
That was floating around for quite awhile. Similar to this cartoon of Quincy Carter:

Old 05-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
buzzcock
Recruit

Male

buzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPitbuzzcock rules the CockPit

To me, Ellis was a promise unfulfilled. He started out with such magnitude and left like a rotten plum. Anyway.......of the QBs you mentioned, I still say Grantz and Suggs did the most................Taneyhill wasn't too far behind.
One last thing........can you stand listening to Ellis do the pbp?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
CockyHoskins

Male

I voted for Petty. My other choices would be Suggs, Grantz and Tanneyhill. I picked Petty mostly because I admired his true desire to win (playing hurt, etc.) and his two New Years Day bowl wins. I also admire Tanneyhill because of his desire to win and, as a college student during his tenure, I truly enjoyed his cockiness.

I can't put Suggs or Grantz on top because I didn't get to see them live.

Ellis gets on my nerves in the booth. I think he is getting better. He has the voice for it, just not the talent or instinct. On a side note, he and I went to law school together. He is a pretty good guy.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
khosk
Administrator

Male

CockyCash: 110599
khosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot materialkhosk is USC mascot material

I put Petty also. He was a winner. He was a big difference in the teams the last 3 years and the teams that went to New Years Day bowls. If we would have had him, we would have won a few more games the last 3 years. I think Anthony Wright had the talent, but didn't really start to put it together till the pros.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 20500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

i put grantz, because i did get to watch him play, and he was incredible. but i don't understand why you all are talking so much crap about ellis. ellis was an excellent qb, and one of the best in usc history. you all might want to go back and look at the stats. i watched him pick uga apart like a surgeon. also, my second and third choices would be hold and suggs respectively. nobody is is giving mike hold any props, but he was the man in the mid 80's, and don't forget the 84 season. he rarely had good protection, but he could really make it happen!

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
CockyHoskins

Male

snoop, where you been?

I think Ellis was an excellent talent. I just think he made bad decisions. He had a gun of an arm, like no one else at USC (except maybe Anthony Wright). Sure he put up some sick, sick numbers. Unfortunately, it didn't translate to the post-season success that Petty had. That was the ultimate deciding factor for me.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
CockyHoskins

Male

Alright, here we go. Some numbers to help with the voting:

Career Passing Leader:
Todd Ellis 9,953 yds
Taneyhill 8,782 yds
Anthony Wright 5,681
Phil Petty 5,652
Tommy Suggs 4,916
Bobby Fuller 4,896
Jeff Grantz 3,440
Mike Hold 2,981
Garry Harper 2,971
Ron Bass 2,933

Single Game Records (Yds)
Taneyhill 473
Taneyhill 451
Ellis 425
Taneyhill 405
Ellis 394
Taneyhill 389

Career Completions
Taneyhill 753
Ellis 747
Phil Petty 454
Anthony Wright 432
Bobby Fuller 373

Career Touchdowns
Taneyhill 62
Ellis 49
Wright 38
Suggs 34
Petty, Fuller 28
Grantz 26
Old 05-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 20500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

i went on another scubadiving trip, and this one took several days away from the pc. i agree with your opinion of ellis, he had the skills, but he did make bad decisions, sometimes. but, he doesn't deserve to be roasted, the way he was being roasted earlier in this thread, when he put up 747 TD's, and almost ten thousand yards! ya know...

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
USCKEN
THE AzzKickinChicken

Male

Best USC Fan 2005: Award given to the best fan for 2005 - Given for: being voted the best USC fan of 2005 
CockyCash: 200
USCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot material

I SAY PETTY! YEAH THE STATS ARE NO COMPARISON AND WE HAD A 17-7 RECORD, PLUS TWO OUTBACK BOWL VICTORIES. I SAY PHIL PETTY!! COULD YOU IMAGINE WHAT THE LAST TWO YRS MIGHT HAD BEEN WITH HIM AT THE HELM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #12
USCKEN
THE AzzKickinChicken

Male

Best USC Fan 2005: Award given to the best fan for 2005 - Given for: being voted the best USC fan of 2005 
CockyCash: 200
USCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot materialUSCKEN is USC mascot material

sorry! forgot my caps
Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 AM   #13
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Voted Tanneyhill just because I saw him win 3 times in Death Valley and sign the Tiger Paw. Hard not to vote for Grantz or Hold. I never saw Grantz in person and there is little film. From what I've heard and seen he was an awesome scrambler. It was hard not to vote for Hold though. Hold never, never, never quit.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

The problem with Todd was all mental. He was soooo talented he just thought he could make throws he was not capable of making. Also in his defense he did not exactly come in under a great aerial offensive coordinator. He came in under the master of the veer. This did account for a few of Todd's tosses to the wrong jersey. The offense put him in a lot of situations where his only option was to throw back across the field or take the sack and Todd always thought he could make the throw and quite often did. Steve just had that intangible desire that made his feet just quick enough to get away and his pass just high enough to get over the defender. The great thing about this argument is if we have it in 5 or 10 years we will more than likely have several more names and a lot more touchdowns. However I don't think we will ever have another quarterback who can live up to Bobby Fuller's 373 touchdowns much less Tanneyhill's 753???? What is this stat. Could not be career touchdown passes.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #15
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

You left off the Strongest, fastest, most talented and best looking Gamecock quarterback of all time. The most popular athlete USC has ever produced, THE BACKUP QB.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 PM   #16
Spur
Household Name

Male

Best Football Thread: Award given for starting the best football related thread - Given for: starting the best football thread of 2005 (post pics that get you excited) Non-Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best non-football related poster - Given for: being voted the best non-football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 513
Spur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot materialSpur is USC mascot material

I voted for Tanneyhill but Petty was a very close 2nd.

Petty was my my favorite of All-Time though.

Very little physical skills but a great head, leader, and person.

Won games as championship QB's do
Old 05-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #17
CockyHoskins

Male

LOL Booster. The stats didn't get copied over right. 750+ was completions. 62 is touchdowns.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #18
buzzcock
Recruit

Male

[quote:e770c3d23e=\"snoopcockycock\"]i went on another scubadiving trip, and this one took several days away from the pc. i agree with your opinion of ellis, he had the skills, but he did make bad decisions, sometimes. but, he doesn't deserve to be roasted, the way he was being roasted earlier in this thread, when he put up 747 TD's, and almost ten thousand yards! ya know...[/quote:e770c3d23e]

Snoopy---I DID blast Ellis..........but, because he had so much potential and let his team and his fans down the older he got............You'd expect a QB to improve with age......he went in reverse......that's the reason a lot of old GC fans don't think too highly of him. I do not wish him ill whatsoever........but, his memory is tarnished by lost timeouts, ints., poor execution, taking dives and hearing the pitter-patter of feet coming near him and him folding like a well used coker seed sack.
I still have respect for what he did accomplish, just not in how he finished.
GO COCKS!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:18 AM   #19
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

I know what you mean Buzz. The potential Todd showed us in that Miami game his freshman year had everyone thinking National Championship and a couple of Heisman's before he left. I do think as I mentioned he never had a good offensive coordinator. To his credit I would put the '87 Cocks against any team we have ever fielded. There were some great throws. We should also remember he had some great receivers. I still say to this day we beat Nebraska.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #20
buzzcock
Recruit

Male

Well........with the way the stadium was swaying.....I was surprised the Huskers didn't lay down and give up, thinking it'd fall on them. I was underneath it and scared as a chicken about to be plucked.....